• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2016 (Oct 10 - Oct 16)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so the Switch already seems to be put in a "Wii U" situation there.
First, backpedaling from Bethesda for Skyrim, but zero relevance for Japan; now MH 3ds-only. Is this a "There is no reason why NS won't dominate Japan" replay?
I remember when I was expecting for example the Inazuma Eleven Wii game coming to Wi U to, but nope, and so on...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
First, backpedaling from Bethesda for Skyrim, but zero relevance for Japan; now MH 3ds-only. Is this a "There is no reason why NS won't dominate Japan" replay?
I remember when I was expecting for example the Inazuma Eleven Wii game coming to Wi U to, but nope, and so on...

Not really....just wait for official announcements thats all.

LordKano

I find extremely annoying to see all these posts "It's the Wii U all over again !! Doomed I say !!".

They just won't announce their games now.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

...Don't tell me you're already jumping to conclusions. Also, Bethesda did not backpedal, they just can't announce stuff right now.

Re-posting my take from the dedicated thread

This has to be the Monster Hunter title that Capcom forecasts 2 millions copies shipped by March 2017. While there won't be news on Switch here, I feel this game will be announced for Switch as well, even if later. Especially if the game's initial release period is confirmed to be a vague "beginning of 2017" (which could perfectly fall into March).

duckroll

Sup, I heard the Switch was already a total disaster and failure and that we're predicting if it'll open with <100k first week or <50k first week in here. How's it going? Someone pass the whiskey! Woooooooo let's party!!!!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sup, I heard the Switch was already a total disaster and failure and that we're predicting if it'll open with <100k first week or <50k first week in here. How's it going? Someone pass the whiskey! Woooooooo let's party!!!!
Switch is Monster Hunter Stories.

casiopao

Lol.U are overacting their Capitan.^_^ Ninty already announce that January they will start bombarding us with info. And that is only 2 months to go. So stay calmy.^_^

Wuuu i will add some tuak and sake here. NX is going to sell like X1 in Japan. It is doomed baby Doomed.^_^(Speaking of Doom makes me think of D.O.M lol.^_^)

random25

Calm down, Capitan!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Ok, a lot of people seem pretty confident.
but then, why not expecting january to announce MH 3DS/NS and announcing it now, for 3DS only?
which is the reasoning behind it? It's not that Capcom is annoucing it with a PR sheet neither: it is an official Nintendo Direct.
So, if Nintendo had plans for an actual MH on NS with Capcom, I think it's fair to suppose that they would have waited for the "january green light".

Looking at the reveal trailer and looking at how this MH will be announced for 3DS only, I' starting to feel that the "It's a home console more and foremost" talk isnt' exactly just a PR, from a software point of view. apart from our reasoning, it seems that there is no evidence at all that the NS will actually merge the usually-anemic home console software lineup with the usually-strong (Japan-wise) portable software line up.

Mpl90

Ok, a lot of people seem pretty confident.
but then, why not expecting january to announce MH 3DS/NS and announcing it now, for 3DS only?
which is the reasoning behind it? It's not that Capcom is annoucing it with a PR sheet neither: it is an official Nintendo Direct.
So, if Nintendo had plans for an actual MH on NS with Capcom, I think it's fair to suppose that they would have waited for the "january green light".

Looking at the reveal trailer and looking at how this MH will be announced for 3DS only, I' starting to feel that the "It's a home console more and foremost" talk isnt' exactly just a PR, from a software point of view. apart from our reasoning, it seems that there is no evidence at all that the NS will actually merge the usually-anemic home console software lineup with the usually-strong (Japan-wise) portable software line up.

This is not the West, so this point isn't valid. While in the West they're calling it "new home console", in Japan they're going with "New gaming machine", or something like that. There was an image clearly showing the differencies between the US and Japanese website in how they called it, can't find it now though.

duckroll

This is not the West, so this point isn't valid. While in the West they're calling it "new home console", in Japan they're going with "New gaming machine", or something like that. There was an image clearly showing the differencies between the US and Japanese website in how they called it, can't find it now though.

?????????????????

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2016/161020.html

The press release in Japanese is pretty clear that the primary purpose of the system is to change the perception of the home console experience.

Mpl90

?????????????????

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2016/161020.html

The press release in Japanese is pretty clear that the primary purpose of the system is to change the perception of the home console experience.

Wait, really? I was still at when they were teasing it as a "new gaming concept" in Japanese tweets, as well as the official Nintendo site stating something like "new gaming machine" right after the unveiling trailer was published.

It seems I was wrong, then. My mistake, sorry.

Still not completely understanding Aostia's anxiety at this point, though

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Still not completely understanding Aostia's anxiety at this point, though

I'm simply trying to read the message on the wall:

- 3ds: still ongoing, many titles announced (it is getting Wii U ports even from nintendo), and releases. Pokemon incoming, cut price still possible, it is even selling better than last year in the US, and somehow managing the conmparison YoY in Japan.

- Wii U: It's dead Jim. the even delayed BotW despite it being ready. No price cut, no initiative at all.

- Reveal trailer: only home-experiences shown. From the "PC-rooted" Skyrim to the Home-console exclusive-Splatoon.

- Official PR put it as a home console too.

- Will probably be pricey for being a protable, in fact it "is" a home console.

- No Japanese blink-blink in the trailer at all, no touch screen input shown, no more clamshell form factor, no Japanese or portable software in the trailer.

- The list of games that "will surely come to NX also, right? Is it so obvious" but that in the end arent' announced for Switch is becoming longer and longer every months: we started with the "misterious" Etrian Oddisey V", passed through Monster Hunter Stories and arrived at the new Monster Hunter Generations X.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Nintendo is not a Japanese company, and Nintendo franchises on portable are not considered portable software, confirmed. RIP.

Splatoon on the go is more

- A merging of the classic portable offer (a real Animal Crossing, a real Fire Emblem, a real Mario&Luigi) into the home business/HD environment

or

- The chance to play the home console products on the Go

?

DrWong

I like how out of that Bethesda quote some people only look at the first part (no official Switch announcement) and not the last part wich is the more important (we have games to announce for this thing but at a later date).

Splatoon on the go is more

- A merging of the classic portable offer (a real Animal Crossing, a real Fire Emblem, a real Mario&Luigi) into the home business/HD environment

or

- The chance to play the home console products on the Go

?

I don't really get your 1st option example tbh. the 1st 2 series that you mention began on home console environment, so it's not really a classic portable series

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't really get your 1st option tbh. the 1st 2 series that you mention began on home console environment, so it's not really a classic portable series

I'm not talking about roots.
I'm talking about the actual market environment.
Thos brands are nowadays clearly seen and recognized as "Nintendo portable series" in terms of main epsiodes.
Seeing Pokemon, AC and FE jump on NS would surely lead the mass market opinion that it would be possible to see the classic pretty-stable&constant Nintendo portable support on NS.
MH would do the same for the third parties.

Nobody instead is trusting them to be able to get a serious&constant third party support on NS (if it is a home console-on-the-go) because of an already-backpedaled Skyrim footage

L~A

Monster Hunter Tokuban 2016 Autumn announced for right after the Monster Hunter Direct. Most definitely getting first footage there. Will also be some gameplay for Monster Hunter Stories.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/tokuban/

First one was in July 2015, and there was some Monster Hunter X stuff back then.

Looks like they're already starting the marketing machine... makes sense since game is coming out in less than 5 months. Famitsu will most likely have something next week.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
In the actual market environment is Mario Kart a portable franchise or a console franchise?

both.
in fact I don't see MK8-ish shown as indicator of anything in terms of reassuring the potential market about the actual support that the machine will get.

duckroll

both.
in fact I don't see MK8-ish shown as indicator of anything in terms of reassuring the potential market about the actual support that the machine will get.

But there's nothing to reassure. Nintendo wants to keep selling the 3DS now, they're not looking to replace it in the next year or two. They need to replace the WiiU right now because the corpse is already making everything smell.

Oregano

I think regardless of Switch speculation it's pretty notable that this game is being announced in a dedicated Nintendo Direct. Nintendo is definitely trying to keep the franchise close.

hiska-kun

Btw, do we know what the Nintendo meeting with retailers was about? Other than the Famicom Mini, that is.

GamesMaya only mentioned Famicom Mini at that time. Btw, this wednesday/thursday is the deadline for Momotaro and Miitopia for 2016.

Mpl90

GamesMaya only mentioned Famicom Mini at that time. Btw, this wednesday/thursday is the deadline for Momotaro and Miitopia for 2016.

Ah, right, I'm pretty sure we're going to get more infos / actual infos on those two titles, especially Miitopia, since we know nothing about it. Still, I wouldn't put behind them the possibility to just talk about Miitopia, while they'll announce Momotaro's release date later, even just 30 days before its launch. These are casual-focused titles, they don't need to be hyped up that much before the launch.

Mpl90

I think regardless of Switch speculation it's pretty notable that this game is being announced in a dedicated Nintendo Direct. Nintendo is definitely trying to keep the franchise close.

Yeah, a MH themed Direct highlights even more how close the franchise is to Nintendo right now.

Moreover, re-posting what Matt said a few days ago

You'll hear more stuff this year in one way or another...

Suggestion: I would say a game announced momentairly for 3DS, with no other version unveiled, would perfectly fit the "one way or another".

L~A

Alright, thought that maybe there would be more details now.

I assume the investors meeting is when we'll know about those two titles. Momotaro is most definitely a 2016 title, no way they're going to miss New Year sales (especially since the game did seem complete when they showed it).

hiska-kun

Miitopia is 2016. Momotaro is Winter so probably next year.

Momotaro is this winter. When they write &#20170;&#20908; in japanese, they usually mean this same year winter, in other words, December. As opposed to next year winter (january and february) they refer it with just &#20908; winter, (without &#20170; this on it).
If you take a look, Megami Meguri and Jikkyou Pawapuro Heroes announcements, they were also this winter &#20170;&#20908;, and they're releasing in December. Should be the same for Momotaro.

3036a7df.png

3d61e0ad.png

fc3f6db0.png

BriBri

Momotaro is this winter. When they write &#20170;&#20908; in japanese, they usually mean this same year winter, in other words, December. As opposed to next year winter (january and february) they refer it with just &#20908; winter, (without &#20170; this on it).
If you take a look, Megami Meguri and Jikkyou Pawapuro Heroes announcements, they were also this winter &#20170;&#20908;, and they're releasing in December. Should be the same for Momotaro.
I was going by Famitsu who have Miitopia as '2016' and Momotaro as 'Winter' (&#20170;&#20908;). I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken. This time I truly was!

But having said that - I do expect it early next year &#128514;

Mory Dunz

But none of them will beat the Mario titles LTD.

And I'm sure that 99% of the people wishing for the death of Paper Mario didn't play colour splash. What a shame.
"Wishing for death"....lol

But that's a bad argument.
Why would someone pay 60 bucks for a game that looks bad? Especially when there are full play throughs on YouTube, which told me enough. I'll get it when/if it's ~25 though for sure.

casiopao

They're doing a dry run of the announcement cycle for Switch games. From now on, all titles will be unveiled one month before launch.

Thats a risky move there. I mean yeah for some game like Momotaro i can't see it being a problem but for Miitopia, won't they had problem on explaining to the mass what the game is?

Oregano

Thats a risky move there. I mean yeah for some game like Momotaro i can't see it being a problem but for Miitopia, won't they had problem on explaining to the mass what the game is?

I think Nirolak was joking but Nintendo has announced games with only a month until release before.

Like with any year there's just been ups and downs for this sort of niche software. I wouldn't say it says anything about Vita as a whole at this point in time.

While we've seen things like Demon Gaze bomb, we've seen something like Coven & Labyrinth of Refrain succeed. While Idol Death Game TV failed, Caligula did very well.

Plus, Vita's had its fair share of bigger success stories this year. Jikkyou did extremely well on the console; Dragon Quest Heroes 2 did much better than I was expecting and Ys VIII is a series high I believe, even without the PS4 version.

In the case of each of these games - I do find Macross Delta surprising since it's looking like it'll sell less than something like World Trigger did last year, but like Takao says it seems like a very incomplete product. Idol Death TV is the latest in a long line of 'spiritual successor-esque' games - i.e. stuff like Grand Kingdom & Exist Archive last year, and all of that bombed too. Only difference is Idol Death is an imitation of an IP which is already going and thriving on Vita (DanganRonpa).

Reco Love I'm a bit more confused about, but maybe consumers were just happy with their copies of Amagami and PhotoKano for now.

Only thing I would say about Vita software at this point in time is that if you are releasing a niche product without much buzz about it and without positive feedback, you're less likely to see moderate sales with it now than you were when the console launched. I bet if stuff like Sorcery Saga & Mind=0 launched in 2016 it would completely crater.

To be less dramatic than in my previous post, I would add that we are still going to see some software doing better on Vita than its PS4 counterpart (hello Sword Art Online and Fate/Extella).

Also, who would have thought some years ago that the little handheld would live long enough to meet two Nintendo home consoles ? ^^

NeonZ

- The list of games that "will surely come to NX also, right? Is it so obvious" but that in the end arent' announced for Switch is becoming longer and longer every months: we started with the "misterious" Etrian Oddisey V", passed through Monster Hunter Stories and arrived at the new Monster Hunter Generations X.

If the NX was going to be completely console software focused though, why would they delay the full reveal (with software and such) until after the holidays? That only makes sense if they think the full exposition might hurt the 3ds' sales. The console centric showcase of software in this early reveal would also line up with that. I'll be surprise if they have any genuine interest in heavily supporting the 3ds in the future, considering the support they have announced right now. It obviously isn't dead, but it seems to be getting, from Nintendo, mostly ports and low budget titles, like the Pikmin side-scroller, rather than something more ambitious.

Top Bottom