• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2016 (Oct 10 - Oct 16)

wasn't Valhalla game studio said they won't be involved in videogame making anymore, or that is only itagaki? or i'm remembering wrong things?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Momotaro out on December 22nd is really cutting close on the end of the year, while still catching a great period for sales in general.

Valhalla Game Studios developing it is really subverting my definition of reality, while...nah, it just sounds so ridiculous, and certainly unexpected :p

Is the free Competition mode similar to the free Party Guest app for Mario Party: Star Rush? In the case, I sense a possible pattern of how Nintendo could try to attract potentially more people to their party games (especially if we see the next step, i.e. a F2S basic version with the possibility to purchase additional minigames/bundles of minigames alongside the full version).

Oregano

I feel people are missing the obvious here. Monster Hunter will be announced for the 3DS and nothing else because it will probably be out before the Switch. Furthermore, Capcom has no reason to put out a 3DS class MH and a new HD one at the same time, especially when the installed base will be low, when they can instead release an upgrade in a year for the Switch. Why is there such an obsession with the belief that Capcom will go out of their way to hit launch?

Wii U and N3DS both launched alongside a Monster Hunter release, both not exclusive of course. They were both G versions too.

L~A

Wii U and N3DS both launched alongside a Monster Hunter release, both not exclusive of course. They were both G versions too.

Only the Wii U launched with a MH game. The Nintendo 3DS had to wait 10 months (out in February, while MH3G came out in December).

Momotaro out on December 22nd is really cutting close on the end of the year, while still catching a great period for sales in general.

Valhalla Game Studios developing it is really subverting my definition of reality, while...nah, it just sounds so ridiculous, and certainly unexpected :p

Is the free Competition mode similar to the free Party Guest app for Mario Party: Star Rush? In the case, I sense a possible pattern of how Nintendo could try to attract potentially more people to their party games (especially if we see the next step, i.e. a F2S basic version with the possibility to purchase additional minigames/bundles of minigames alongside the full version).

Website does mention a special game/Software, so most definitely like Mario Party: Star Rush - Party Guest. Allows to bypass limitation of Download Play, so that's a great idea.

Also, December 22nd is surprisingly "busy":

[3DS] SEGA 3D Classics Collection 3: Final Stage
[3DS] SEGA 3D Classics Collection 1 + 2 + 3
[3DS] Osomatsu-san Matsumatsuri
[3DS] Osomatsu-san Matsumatsuri (Limited Edition)
[3DS] Osomatsu-san Matsumatsuri (New Nintendo 3DS pack)
[3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!!

Mpl90

Only the Wii U launched with a MH game. The Nintendo 3DS had to wait 10 months (out in February, while MH3G came out in December).

Website does mention a special game/Software, so most definitely like Mario Party: Star Rush - Party Guest. Allows to bypass limitation of Download Play, so that's a great idea.

He's talking about New 3DS, not 3DS, so he's referring to MH4G / MH4U.

Oregano

New 3DS launched with 4 Ultimate.;)

casiopao

Actually thinking that Valhalla Games making the game is quite logical in the point that Mario party team just launched Star Rush here. So they won't had time to help on Momotaro.

Giving the job to Valhalla is probably the normal way of Nintendo in maintaining relation with Valhalla there. And who knows, maybe in future we can get Takamaru by Itagaki lol.^_^

But i am a bit conflicted on Momotaro here. Won't Momotaro release kinda cut the legs of Mario Party? Considering both are Party game?

duckroll

New 3DS launched with 4 Ultimate.;)

Does that... really count when it is a 3DS game? I mean, even if the New 3DS never existed, it would have came out around then.

Honestly I think MHXG or whatever will be 3DS only, and if they are making a Switch title it will be MH5.

Edit: Looking back at it, saying WiiU got a MH game at launch is kinda misleading too. It was a HD remaster of a year old 3DS enhanced port of a Wii game. Capcom has never developed a new Monster Hunter title or expansion for the launch of any platform.

Oregano

Does that... really count when it is a 3DS game? I mean, even if the New 3DS never existed, it would have came out around then.

Honestly I think MHXG or whatever will be 3DS only, and if they are making a Switch title it will be MH5.

True but it was specifically positioned as a N3DS showcase in both Japan and the West. I think it at least shows that Capcom are willing to work with Nintendo to do stuff like that.

In the end you might be right but then it would be a bit weird to announce the game so late, and also not even mention the platform to their investors.

casiopao

Ummm kinda i guess? MH4 Ultimate did really well and in effect it also helped new 3DS to do really well so i can see his point there.

Especially the release on the west, MH4U actually did much better vs MH3U tx to the New 3DS release there.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Edit: Looking back at it, saying WiiU got a MH game at launch is kinda misleading too. It was a HD remaster of a year old 3DS enhanced port of a Wii game. Capcom has never developed a new Monster Hunter title or expansion for the launch of any platform.
I think it'll get a port if nothing else but because Capcom made it their mission statement to show MH would support the 3DS by porting 3g to it. It seems fairly short sighted to not port a game to a new platform even when they release very close to each other and to assume their fanbase to automatically move over when they eventually port MH5 or completely move other. Even Capcom should be aware of how risky that is.

duckroll

True but it was specifically positioned as a N3DS showcase in both Japan and the West. I think it at least shows that Capcom are willing to work with Nintendo to do stuff like that.

In the end you might be right but then it would be a bit weird to announce the game so late, and also not even mention the platform to their investors.

I guess my point is really simple. I don't think there is any possibility that a Monster Hunter game on the Switch is going to be representative of a proper console Monster Hunter. At best it will be positioned as a HD remaster of a new-ish portable title. For a brand new platform that is supposed to "change the way people think of home consoles", would that be the sort of message Capcom and Nintendo want to send out? With the WIi, Capcom put out Monster Hunter Tri. With the WiiU, Capcom put out a year old HD remaster of 3G. That really reflected the Capcom didn't really think much of the WiiU at all as a platform, especially in Japan, and were just throwing Nintendo a bone. I don't think anyone wants to see the repeat of that here.

I think it'll get a port if nothing else but because Capcom made it their mission statement to show MH would support the 3DS by porting 3g to it. It seems fairly short sighted to not port a game to a new platform even when they release very close to each other and to assume their fanbase to automatically move over when they eventually port MH5 or completely move other. Even Capcom should be aware of how risky that is.

I think Capcom will definitely release Monster Hunter games on the Switch. I don't think there is any doubt of that. I think the first Monster Hunter on the Switch will be a port as well. I just don't think it will be at launch this time, and I think both Nintendo and their partners are probably still looking at the market conditions to determine how to best market the Switch itself - is it a home console you can brings games on the go with, or is it truly a hybrid that replaces both the home console line and the portable line? Until this question has a definite answer, lots of things are up in the air.

Oregano

I guess my point is really simple. I don't think there is any possibility that a Monster Hunter game on the Switch is going to be representative of a proper console Monster Hunter. At best it will be positioned as a HD remaster of a new-ish portable title. For a brand new platform that is supposed to "change the way people think of home consoles", would that be the sort of message Capcom and Nintendo want to send out? With the WIi, Capcom put out Monster Hunter Tri. With the WiiU, Capcom put out a year old HD remaster of 3G. That really reflected the Capcom didn't really think much of the WiiU at all as a platform, especially in Japan, and were just throwing Nintendo a bone. I don't think anyone wants to see the repeat of that here.

I can see your point.

The Wii got Monster Hunter G before Tri though didn't it?(playable only with Classic Controller?)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

I dont think anyone was expecting MH Switch to be somekind of graphical showcase when its based on the 3DS game. Then again resolution alone will make the game look way better than the 3DS game and thats pretty much all that is expected from a console MH nowadays.

So yeah if you are saying that Capcom wont release a big budget MH5 AAA on Switch in the first couple months, sure...but the in your earlier post you made it seem like someone would have to be crazy to even expect anykind of MH for Switch during the launch period.

Shengar

I feel people are missing the obvious here. Monster Hunter will be announced for the 3DS and nothing else because it will probably be out before the Switch. Furthermore, Capcom has no reason to put out a 3DS class MH and a new HD one at the same time, especially when the installed base will be low, when they can instead release an upgrade in a year for the Switch. Why is there such an obsession with the belief that Capcom will go out of their way to hit launch?

MH HD thirst is real. It have blinded many people (me included) .

Capcom is already doing some pretty home console-like stuff on the 3DS. An HD version should be good enough for a launch title. Also, I don't think there's much of a negative image to handheld gaming versus home console gaming in Japan, as opposed to the West where it kinda has this image of an inferior form of gaming and/or something for kids. An ambitious, polished Capcom 3DS game in HD can do the trick.

But really, the fact that a game that is expected to be a major seller comes out both this late in the 3DS' life cycle and in the same quarter as the new Nintendo console, is revealed strangely late and soon after that new console is revealed, and did not have listed platforms when it was announced were pretty strong indicators that it might come to the Switch at launch. It could be a coincidence, but it seemed like a project that would make sense.

duckroll

I dont think anyone was expecting MH Switch to be somekind of graphical showcase when its based on the 3DS game. Then again resolution alone will make the game look way better than the 3DS game and thats pretty much all that is expected from a console MH nowadays.

So yeah if you are saying that Capcom wont release a big budget MH5 AAA on Switch in the first couple months, sure...but the in your earlier post you made it seem like someone would have to be crazy to even expect anykind of MH for Switch during the launch period.

People in this thread are falling all over themselves trying to comprehend why Capcom might be announcing a new MH G title for 3DS and not have it also be a Switch title at launch. That's what I find odd. I don't think it's crazy to expect a MH HD port on Switch sometime in 2017. I just think that it is clear that Capcom's priority here is just getting another 3DS title out of the door before the financial year ends so they can boost their earnings.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
People in this thread are falling all over themselves trying to comprehend why Capcom might be announcing a new MH G title for 3DS and not have it also be a Switch title at launch. That's what I find odd. I don't think it's crazy to expect a MH HD port on Switch sometime in 2017. I just think that it is clear that Capcom's priority here is just getting another 3DS title out of the door before the financial year ends so they can boost their earnings.

It's not so odd.

Why Capcom refused to give the platforms so far.
Why Monster Hunter direct is after Switch reveal.
Why release it next year and not at prime season of holidays if there is no Switch involment. Everyone would be happier with that decision.

Mpl90

What if the hold up was actually Stories instead of the Switch?

They had no problem announcing Stories last year in April, while revealing Monster Hunter X and MH Poka Poka Airu shortly later (May 31st), though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They had no problem announcing Stories last year in April, while revealing Monster Hunter X and MH Poka Poka Airu shortly later (May 31st), though.
Those were releasing way before it though, instead of being a game you could just wait a few more months for instead.

It's not so odd.

Why Capcom refused to give the platforms so far.
Why Monster Hunter direct is after Switch reveal.
Why release it next year and not at prime season of holidays if there is no Switch involment. Everyone would be happier with that decision.

Wait, you think the new MH game will be released in 2017?

There's still time for a late December released.

MacTag

Banned
I can see your point.

The Wii got Monster Hunter G before Tri though didn't it?(playable only with Classic Controller?)
Yes. 3DS also got MH3G before 4 (which was mostly Tri + 3rd content and G rank), Capcom has a history of repackaged warm up releases before the real deal comes to a new system. A Switch XGHD for launch window should really surprise no one even if it's not announced this week.

Kyoufu

I'm surprised anybody expects/hopes for a Wii U Monster Hunter title at this stage. Didn't happen with 4, 4 Ultimate and Generations so why now? Wii U is dead, let it go.

The new entry is obviously for 3DS.

Mpl90

Those were releasing way before it though, instead of being a game you could just wait a few more months for instead.

That's a fair point, honestly it's possible Capcom thought announcing a new main MH title this year while they were trying to build up the excitement for Stories, between trailers and anime series, could've been counterproductive. Yeah, I guess the next few months will tell us if Monster Hunter Whatever :)P) is going to be on Switch as well. Even this Direct could give some hints on the matter, depending on the release period that gets announced.

Just completed Monster Hunter Stories. The game is AMAZING.

And developed by Marvelous. Wtf?!

Woah! o_O Maybe by the folks who worked on Mistwalker's games maybe?

Any names of the leads?

Isn't one of the major Mistwalker partners at Marvelous from those days still there? *quick search* Takuya Matsumoto I think it was.

viHuGi

Banned
How much do we expect Pokemon to sell 1st week lads?

Wouldn´t Nintendo be smarter to skip 3ds and launch Switch with this game?

BriBri

Woah! o_O Maybe by the folks who worked on Mistwalker's games maybe?

Any names of the leads?

Isn't one of the major Mistwalker partners at Marvelous from those days still there? *quick search* Takuya Matsumoto I think it was.

This is the only Miiverse picture (of the names) I took.

tumblr_ofluzdTVaL1s2z1y6o1_400.jpg

There was literally one million names listed however.

And I've now got time to start River City Ransom tomorrow!

Seems Ken Awata was from the Artoon side, having worked on The Last Story as Animation Lead, Blue Dragon as Character Motion Lead, and Blinx 2 as an Artist.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,180660/

Likely was on many more games, just that they're not on Mobygames.

Oregano

Would it have still made sense to hide that it was a 3DS game when talking to investors in that case though?

Weird that Marvelous developed it, when they can't even be bothered to develop their own RPGs.

Well they've always done that kind of work and MHS will be bigger than any Marvelous IP.

Weird that Marvelous developed it, when they can't even be bothered to develop their own RPGs.

Nah, this isn't anything new. Marvelous have been work-for-hire on numerous games over the gen:

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz (Vita)
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games (Wii U aka their ONLY Wii U game)
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (3DS)
The Soul Sacrifice games (Vita)

This is their first with Capcom that I know of though, might be wrong.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's worth keeping in mind that Marvelous is actually Marvelous AQ Live, the company formed by folding Cavia, feelplus, and Artoon into Marvelous along with a mobile company.

hiska-kun

Momotaro for December 22nd is a good move but some retailers are worried because by this date it's very difficult to order a second shipment in time, since practically all business companies are closed for holidays, including transportation ones.

So, they are already expecting stock problems for the game for new year sales.

クリスマス前の絶好のタイミングですが、年末はソフトの追加入荷がかなり厳しい時期です。売り切れてしまうと年明けまで入荷なし……というソフトが毎年出ます。桃鉄は売り切れてしまうと再入荷に時間がかかる可能性もありますのでぜひご予約ください!

https://mobile.twitter.com/COMG_GAME/status/790844595923849216

L~A

What if the hold up was actually Stories instead of the Switch?

I had the same thought, but then it doesn't really fit with their strategy for MHS (targeting kids). The audience isn't quite the same (and I doubt they're expecting kids who played MHS to then go pick up the new entry, especially given the difference in rating discussed the other day).

Momotaro for December 22nd is a good move but some retailers are worried because by this date it's very difficult to order a second shipment in time, since practically all business companies are closed for holidays, including transportation ones.

So, they are already expecting stock problems for the game for new year sales.

https://mobile.twitter.com/COMG_GAME/status/790844595923849216

Hasn't Nintendo been overshipping quite a few games lately? I remember a holiday game was overshipped last year, but ended up fine in the end
(no, not amiibo Festival :p)
I don't think stocks will be an issue, though that's me assuming they don't underestimate demand ;)

So what has been main monster hunter team up to since 4G?
Will we know tomorrow?

Thursday.

As for what the "main" team has been working on, I assume it's MH5. That or the new MH game ISNT MHXG. Pretty unlikely, but that wouldn't be the first surprise about that mystery 2m Monster Hunter game.

Not surprised the main team wasn't on MHS, but wasn't expecting a third-party. I just assumed it was another team within Capcom.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Marvelous huh? Then...... what is Capcom main MH team is making here?O_O

I'm confused at the confusion.

Monster Hunter X G, Monster Hunter 5, updates to Monster Hunter Frontier...

I had the same thought, but then it doesn't really fit with their strategy for MHS (targeting kids). The audience isn't quite the same (and I doubt they're expecting kids who played MHS to then go pick up the new entry, especially given the difference in rating discussed the other day).
It's not impossible they were hoping older audiences would buy it as well.

casiopao

I'm confused at the confusion.

Monster Hunter X G, Monster Hunter 5, updates to Monster Hunter Frontier...

It's not impossible they were hoping older audiences would buy it as well.

I mean, isn't Tsujimoto mentioned they have been tinkering with MHS for quite some time? I take that as it mean the main team is actually making the game here. I guess i am wrong here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I mean, isn't Tsujimoto mentioned they have been tinkering with MHS for quite some time? I take that as it mean the main team is actually making the game here. I guess i am wrong here.

It's not too uncommon for a Japanese publisher to hire a developer to make a game for them, but have their internal staff (or at least a producer) oversee the project and give direction.

I think a lot of the confusion tends to stem from the developers not being credited until release though. In the West, you usually have a nigh-100% rate of the developer being announced when or shortly after the game is, but in Japan, it's not uncommon for the first mention to happen when loading up the game or even only when looking at the credits.

Edit:

For Monster Hunter Stories, duckroll pointed out the director is in fact one of the people who was working on the AQ side (feelplus/Artoon/Cavia), and seemingly specifically Artoon:

MobyGames said:
Ken Awata

Game Credits

Business
Blue Dragon (2006) (Character Motion Lead )

Art/Graphics
The Last Story (2011) (Animation Lead)
Blinx 2: Masters of Time & Space (2004) (Artists)
Arc the Lad III (1999)

I'm on Mobile and I can't be bothered, but IIRC there's an interview with Eurogamer where Tsujimoto? said that the MH team is actually super small.

The people who did MH4 probably did MHG too. They just changed the director and producer.

MH5 may be teased but it's not the soon to be released MH game. I have already discussed this on the Direct thread.

Eolz

Seems Ken Awata was from the Artoon side, having worked on The Last Story as Animation Lead, Blue Dragon as Character Motion Lead, and Blinx 2 as an Artist.

Likely was on many more games, just that they're not on Mobygames.

Whaaaaaat?! Wow, that's unexpected, especially after all those posts about the main team being on it. I guess this would be some leads/key talent from Capcom advising and/or having an editorial right on it then?

MonHun 5 announced at the end of the Direct for Switch seems a good possibility now... After talking about Stories a long while and XG or something for 3DS and Switch launch.

Top Bottom