• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 42, 2013 (Oct 14 - Oct 20)

Yeah this is what I don't get either. People here are shocked at the Vita drop when really the expectation should have been it'll do 20-30k in the second week all along. I mean some people thought that's how the revision will do in week 1 so from that perspective it's doing well. Now, objectively it isn't doing well, but seeing so many people saying that they expected more than 25k is just a bit weird.

Vita will be fine for the rest of the year though. The big question is how it'll do from mid January onwards as there aren't many notable releases for the Vita until Soul Sacrifice Delta and J-Star Victory in March.

People can adjust their expectations. This is like saying if MH4 had sold the same amount week 1 and then dropped to 50k week 2 people couldn't be surprised. Not that the Vita dropoff was that severe, but yes I expected I tad higher with how well it did last week.

saichi

Thrown_1f62bb_668033.gif

what are all the movies for this? I think I've only watched one

Mileena

Banned
Faulty logic there considering Capcom would most likely take it the wrong way and stop localizing them.
You should be pining for 3 Ultimate Wii U to do well, not 4 underperforming.
eh, just more reasons to hate Crapcom

I don't care if its localized for 3DS, that would mean nothing to me. 4 underperforming might have given us a chance at a proper MH that doesn't look like a ps2 game.

Mory Dunz

Isn't it kind if weird to say the Vita will get a better baseline and in the same breath say the Wii U won't?

Both will get bundles and quickly return to the lowlands, IMO. I don't see a big difference between them.

Isn't it kind if weird to say the Vita will get a better baseline and in the same breath say the Wii U won't?

Both will get bundles and quickly return to the lowlands, IMO. I don't see a big difference between them.

Vita actually has a somewhat steady lineup to somewhat mitigate a baseline drop to back below 10k. Wii U has a few big games and then complete emptiness which doesn't do well for keeping a baseline up

crinale

I don't care if its localized for 3DS, that would mean nothing to me. 4 underperforming might have given us a chance at a proper MH that doesn't look like a ps2 game.

I feel for you but they've already announced MHF series (and already selling some) for PC/360/PS3/PSV/WiiU.
This pretty much nullifies any chance of releasing any other form of MH to above platforms :(

L~A

So...

Pokémon at about 475k
Monster Hunter 4 still above 100k
Rayman Legends not even in Top 30
3DS at about 150k
Vita drop to 25k
Wii U below 3k

Damn, my predictions were incredibly accurate this week, it's almost scary... :p

SmokyDave

The PSP is nearly 9 years old and still managed to best the Wii U for the last couple of weeks. That's pretty cool.

Nice to see the Vita at 25k. Sure, in an ideal world that'd be a 'bad' week, but we don't live in an ideal world.

Mario007

People can adjust their expectations. This is like saying if MH4 had sold the same amount week 1 and then dropped to 50k week 2 people couldn't be surprised. Not that the Vita dropoff was that severe, but yes I expected I tad higher with how well it did last week.
I get what you mean but as you said the drop wasn't that drastic, its somewhat in line with the post soul sacrifice drop. Considering there actually hasn't been a price cut corresponding with the new model it seems to me to be OK. Having said that I only follow media create numbers for 2 years and so don't know what is the standard drop off rate for the second week a new model hit the market. I'd agree that it maybe could have been 5-10k better but realistically this sort of a drop should have been expected since the first major piece of software is still 2 weeks away.

That's business. The ultimate goal of any project is investing the lowest money for maximum profit and look like Capcom succeeded that with MH. We will never see MH out side 3DS ever again if people still keep buying it.

Thorgal

this thread sure is wii u this week.

My guess :

1 all eyes are focused on the Current Xbox one resolution meltdown to care about sales age.

2 Not a surprising or totally unexpected seller this week. (unless you count GTAV showing a bit of legs there for its second week).

Kid Ying

DQX Version 2 (Amazon)

Wii #12
Wii U #14

Mess.
The last time we heard about online users they said it was roughly the same ammount between the two, so it's actually reasonable. The sad part is that it's just an expansion and the number one on the wiiu rankings.

Wiiu software is so bad... At least Taiko will save us... Or at least me.

And i think this fiscal report will be better than the last. It can't be worse, right? Zelda helped a little bit in some places. Of course in the mean time, Wiiu in Japan just flushed down the toilet (not like it was good before either, but it got much worse).

I don't know if Nintendo is marketing those bundles the right way. I guess they are doing their usual "wait for the release week to advertise". Well, let's see if this will be good or not. The bundles will make the situation a little better, but it's on Nintendo to make them a mild sucess or not.

Pain

Banned
Great numbers for 3DS, vita not so much

25k the week after the redesign in October
36k the week after the price drop in March

So yeah, sales will go up again with more software but it having an even worse second week than in March is laughable :/
It's up against Pokemon...and the redesign wasn't timed with any decent games. Those are coming in November.

Chances Vita stays above the 10k threshold going into the holidays? What is the next big release?

It probably won't do great but there should certainly be enough software to keep it above 10k.

Neptune and Gundam Breaker come out next week, Akibas Trip 2 the next week, God Eater 2 the week after that, New Atelier Rorona the week after that, and then a bunch of niche software the next week (and month).

To be honest, looking at the release list, while there is nothing that is going to blow anyone away a la 3DS, this holiday and through feb/mar of next year has a pretty decent lineup. Definitely the most filled-up holiday/new year lineup to date.

braves01

Banned
If Nintendo cuts Wii U's life support early, would they even try to replace it with anything, or just focus on handheld only until next gen?

Flayer

Looking at that YTD chart of hardware sales I had the stark realisation that an 8yr old PS3 has outsold the newly released Wii U this year in Japan. Who could have foreseen that, it's not even like the PS3 is doing anything other than trucking along at a low clip.

Why? Those are probably adjusted expectations due to the surprisingly high first week sales of the model. I was expecting a 30-40k hold off myself. Still, though I think this drop is a harsh one, I also don't think there's much to worry for the rest of the year as the year-end lineup is quite solid.

According to the MC the week of Soul Sacrifice, the bundle accounted for 22K then slid to 10K the following week. Without that Soul Sacrifice bundle, that drop wouldve been steep as well.

when is that?
NeoGAF will be dead that day. That's all you need to know.

Looking at that YTD chart of hardware sales I had the stark realisation that an 8yr old PS3 has outsold the newly released Wii U this year in Japan. Who could have foreseen that, it's not even like the PS3 is doing anything other than trucking along at a low clip.

Outside of the Wii U vs Xbox 360 strictly in Japan, has the Wii U ever outsold the 360 or PS3 for any single month in any territory?

Mileena

Banned
That's business. The ultimate goal of any project is investing the lowest money for maximum profit and look like Capcom succeeded that with MH. We will never see MH out side 3DS ever again if people still keep buying it.
Yea, that was my point. Hence why I wanted it to underperform. The more sales MH4 gets the bigger chance this series never evolves past PS2 visuals and awful controlling handhelds with one analog. PSP and 3DS are a cancer for the series.

Oh well, ill get over it when Dark Souls 2 comes out.

Tripon

Yea, that was my point. Hence why I wanted it to underperform. The more sales MH4 gets the bigger chance this series never evolves past PS2 visuals and awful controlling handhelds with one analog. PSP and 3DS are a cancer for the series.

Oh well, ill get over it when Dark Souls 2 comes out.

Wow, get over yourself, and play some monhun3U.

Seems absolutely clear now that Capcom made the right decision moving Monster Hunter over to 3DS. Massive success.

Not much you can say about Wii U, it really speaks for itself at this point.

AmanoBuff

It probably won't do great but there should certainly be enough software to keep it above 10k.

Neptune and Gundam Breaker come out next week, Akibas Trip 2 the next week, God Eater 2 the week after that, New Atelier Rorona the week after that, and then a bunch of niche software the next week (and month).

To be honest, looking at the release list, while there is nothing that is going to blow anyone away a la 3DS, this holiday and through feb/mar of next year has a pretty decent lineup. Definitely the most filled-up holiday/new year lineup to date.

Release list for 2013:

10/24 - Pawapuro Baseball 2013, Samurai Warriors 2 + Extreme Legends HD, Samurai Warriors 2 Empires HD
10/31 - Neptunia Rebirth, Gundam Breaker, Gundam Breaker Bundle
11/7 - Akiba's Trip 2, Extetra
11/14 - God Eater 2, God Eater Bundle, Vita TV
11/21 - Shin Atelier Rorona
11/28 - Dynasty Warriors 8 Extreme Legends, Criminal Girls Invitation
12/5 - Tearaway, Batman Blackgate
12/19 - Shin Gundam Musou, Madoka Magika Battle Pentagram
12/26 - Final Fantasy X HD, Final Fantasy X-2 HD , FFX|X-2 Bundle

I wouldn't call the bolded 'niche' by any means, especially when you have main GE and FF entries in the list.

I wouldn't call the bolded 'niche' by any means, especially when you have main GE and FF entries in the list.

HD ports are not main FF entries. Do some people still have ridiculous 1 million LTD in mind? And I won't say anything about Vita TV, but as a device it's much more designed for the west because outside of the pricepoint what appeal does it actually have in Japan? Vita does have a nice little holiday lineup and should break 100k at least one time this holiday.

The more niche titles I was talking about are bitter smile, Criminal Girls, Steins Gate, White Album 2, Rosen Maiden, Amnesia V, Diabolic Lovers, Kudowafuta, Hakuoki, '&', most of which weren't on your list above but are coming out this year.

HD ports are not main FF entries. Do some people still have ridiculous 1 million LTD in mind? And I won't say anything about Vita TV, but as a device it's much more designed for the west because outside of the pricepoint what appeal does it actually have in Japan? Vita does have a nice little holiday lineup and should break 100k at least one time this holiday.

Yes. WW though.

KH 1.5 did 200k. I'm expecting FFX HD to do 350k.

L Thammy

I know why the heat wave comment was silly and why it became a meme. But, as a side note, I don't think it's so ridiculous to imagine unusual weather affecting sales in a country that has, what, over a hundred active undersea volcanoes? I'm sure we're hear about something like that in international news, though.

People who are disgruntled about Monster Hunter's graphics can always buy one of the hunting games for the Vita. Toukiden shows there's a market for those things there, God Eater probably will do so too.

Again, if you looked at the difference between how Capcom has treated the 3DS and how they've treated the Vita, you'd see that they've made a choice already. There would have to major, fanbase-upsetting problems for MH4 to have sold so badly as to force a platform switch.

Top Bottom