• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 42, 2013 (Oct 14 - Oct 20)

wrowa

MH doesn't owe a lot of its success to handhelds. It owes ALL of its success to handhelds. No one cared for MH when it was still a PS2 game, it only took off once it hit the handheld space.

Opiate

Yeah, MH owes a lot of its recent success to handhelds. Having an opinion isn't going to change that fact.

It's the sort of position that ignores all economic realities. I suppose I too wish that every game I ever enjoyed was made with me exclusively in mind, but I don't know why Mileena stopped at consoles; why not go all the way and make them for very high end PCs? I mean, if his goal is only to produce the highest quality graphics with the best possible networking infrastructure, surely this bests consoles in every way.

Of course, I know that's not economically feasible, and the result of making such a Monster Hunter would be the end of Monster Hunter forever after as such a business model is unsustainable. But if we're just going to forget economics entirely and focus exclusively on what would produce the most graphically impressive, highest tech games, I'm always amused when people conclude by wanting the game on PS3 or Xbone or PS4. It suggests that their purpose isn't really the best graphics or best networking or whatever, it's just that they personally prefer consoles and would rather all games be made for them and not for handhelds or iOS or even PC.

It's the sort of position that ignores all economic realities.

I suppose I too wish that every game I ever enjoyed was made with me in mind. I don't know why Mileena stopped at consoles; why not go all the way and make them for very high end PCs? I mean, if his goal is only to produce the highest quality graphics with the best possible networking infrastructure, surely that bests consoles in every way.

Of course, I know that's not economically feasible, and the result of making such a game would be the end of Monster Hunter forever after as such a business model is unsustainable. But if we're just going to forget economics entirely and focus exclusively on what would produce the most graphically impressive, I'm always amused when people conclude by wanting the game on PS3 or Xbox or PS4 or something. It suggests that their purpose isn't really the best graphics or best networking or whatever, it's just that they personally prefer consoles and would rather all games be made for them and not for handhelds or iOS or even PC.

Completely agreed

USA:

Wind Waker HD (North American eShop) (as of September 26th): 66,000
Wind Waker HD (USA retail, standalone + hardware bundle) (as of October 5th): 123,000 (good majority is hardware bundles)

Projecting the same optimistic eShop ratio onto Japanese sales:

Wind Waker HD (eShop): ~20,000
Wind Waker HD (Retail): ~41,102 (Japan) (As of October 13th)

In reality though, Japanese eShop sales are probably lower than that figure, because digital and retail versions were released on the same day, unlike the digital bonus that North America enjoyed.

But 20,000 Japanese eShop sales would probably be the maximum threshold for Wind Waker's success. So if I were to peg Wind Waker's total Japanese sales, it would be somewhere <61K.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wii U sales were, and are only bound to get worse during the pre-bundle weeks. This was guaranteed to be the worst weeks on record.

The real question is how far above the average baseline it'll be. My most optimistic guess would be 15k since 3D World still hasn't come around.

If Pikmin 3 could bump Wii U sales to 22k I don't think it's that silly to assume 3D World will at least have a slightly better impact on the Wii U than that did.

I think the bundle week needs to sell >15k Wii Us and Mario 3D World week needs to sell >30k Wii Us or else I'd consider the system as honestly totally dead without chance for recovery in Japan, but I think it's very possible they'll break those numbers.

pixelbox

Well there's still the GE2 bundle people could be waiting for. But in terms of Vita going below 10,000 I can safely say that won't happen for a good long while. Of course I'm including the Vita TV, the Vita line looks to be pretty healthy. I predict Sony will drop the price of the Vita by 40-50 dollars or the equivalent of yin by April 2014. Just in time for SS:D and PSO. By that time Tokiden 2 may be ready by the end of the year along with Freedom Wars. Sony set themselves up for turning this failure into some sort of success.

WTF @ people saying MH4 is tracking anywhere near MHP3? MHP3 was at 4 million on Media Create by this point. Yes, it will start tracking above it starting next week but the chasm between the two games is massive even with digital sales and the longer holiday.

Yanikun

Banned
Tearaway is a niche title not just for Japan but for every market out there.

Sony seems to love making niche titles then be surprised when they flop. Like when Shuhei Yoshida expressed sadness on Twitter about Puppeteer and Killzone Mercenary's performance in Japan. lol, as if they could legitimately expect big numbers from those in the region.

Myshkin

I predict Sony will drop the price of the Vita by 40-50 dollars or the equivalent of yin by April 2014.

Sony can afford to drop the price of the Vita 2000, except that they won't - they are keeping the Vita price away from the PSVtv price in order to give the PSVtv a chance to sell. If they drop price 40-50 it would be around the same cost as PSVtv+controller. If you see that price drop, it means Sony gave up on PSVtv in Japan.

AmanoBuff

HD ports are not main FF entries. Do some people still have ridiculous 1 million LTD in mind? And I won't say anything about Vita TV, but as a device it's much more designed for the west because outside of the pricepoint what appeal does it actually have in Japan? Vita does have a nice little holiday lineup and should break 100k at least one time this holiday.

I never mentioned any numbers, but now that you mention 1 million, I think it would feasible for FFX/X-2 on both Vita and PS3 WW LTD.

Launch weeks for P4G (another PS2 port) was 137k+, (Vita exclusive) and for Dragon's Crown and the latest Sen no Kiseki (both available on Vita and PS3) was 71k+ and 81k+ on Vita respectively.

The FFX/X-2 Vita Twin Pack and PS3 disc are cheaper than any of those and come with two games, one of which happens to be one of the most popular main FF entries (port or not) among the japanese.

Wouldn't it be possible for FFX/X-2 to sell 200k on Vita (and more on PS3) on launch week based on the launches mentioned above? Or is that simply way too optimistic. Honest question.

Tearaway and Batman are definitely niche for Japan.

Tearaway is a niche title not just for Japan but for every market out there.

Sad but true I have to admit. Especially for Tearaway, since Sony seems to be sending the game to die. The worst is that at least in the case of Tearaway, it looks like an amazing game.

The more niche titles I was talking about are bitter smile, Criminal Girls, Steins Gate, White Album 2, Rosen Maiden, Amnesia V, Diabolic Lovers, Kudowafuta, Hakuoki, '&', most of which weren't on your list above but are coming out this year.

I see. My bad.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Well, actions speak louder than words, but who am I to disagree....

I tried to understand what you wrote but I failed.

WTF @ people saying MH4 is tracking anywhere near MHP3? MHP3 was at 4 million on Media Create by this point. Yes, it will start tracking above it starting next week but the chasm between the two games is massive even with digital sales and the longer holiday.

One more time, it's not coming to Vita.

Release list for 2013:

10/24 - Pawapuro Baseball 2013, Samurai Warriors 2 + Extreme Legends HD, Samurai Warriors 2 Empires HD
10/31 - Neptunia Rebirth, Gundam Breaker, Gundam Breaker Bundle
11/7 - Akiba's Trip 2, Extetra
11/14 - God Eater 2, God Eater Bundle, Vita TV
11/21 - Shin Atelier Rorona
11/28 - Dynasty Warriors 8 Extreme Legends, Criminal Girls Invitation
12/5 - Tearaway, Batman Blackgate
12/19 - Shin Gundam Musou, Madoka Magika Battle Pentagram
12/26 - Final Fantasy X HD, Final Fantasy X-2 HD , FFX|X-2 Bundle

If Vita can't net at least 200k in Nov with that kind of lineups I will call it an absolute failure, especially if Vita TV is included.

Majmun

Haven't clicked on the MC threads for a few weeks. Can't believe how dire the Wii U situation has become.

I don't even think the new Mario will pull it out of this slump.

It is still too early to tell. By January we are going to know if MH4 will be able to have the same success than MHP3.

MH4 needs to sell around 800k-1000K in December-first week of January if it hopes to get close or surpass MHP3.

Yanikun

Banned
I asked the question in one of the previous threads, but no one knew for sure. Is Vita TV going to be tracked by MC and Famitsu? I assumed not because it looks more like Sony's Apple TV than a regular gaming system, but people seem to think otherwise.

pixelbox

If Vita can't net at least 200k in Nov with that kind of lineups I will call it an absolute failure, especially if Vita TV is included.

Really? A failure? After coming from the PSP that did not dominate and having it's "exclusives" striped from it, the Vita is basically at square one with customers. It has to prove that it's a worthy platform for customers and publishers alike. Sony has been setting up in-house exclusives to build it's reputation as a healthy platform so success will take time. I said it before and I'll say it again: It took time for MH to become the mega hit it is now, 4 years to be exact. The same thing applies to most things really so to expect immediate success especially coming from failure is a bit much.

pixelbox

Sony can afford to drop the price of the Vita 2000, except that they won't - they are keeping the Vita price away from the PSVtv price in order to give the PSVtv a chance to sell. If they drop price 40-50 it would be around the same cost as PSVtv+controller. If you see that price drop, it means Sony gave up on PSVtv in Japan.

You're Right. But maybe $170 then...

LOCK

MH4's legs are really impressive considering the attach rate. I expect over 4mil by the end of the year. Same is probably true of Pokemon.

hongcha

Man, sub-3k for the Wii U is brutal. To put how bad that is in perspective, if the X360 never sold another console in Japan and the Wii U continues to sell 3k a week, it will take 3.5 years for it to overtake the X360 in sales. That is pretty mind-boggling. I don't expect the upcoming NSMBU bundles to do more than a brief bump to 10-15k (if they're lucky). 3D World won't have much of an impact either, as home console 3D Mario traditionally sells poorly in Japan (e.g. SMG sold ~250K first week, while SMG2 sold ~340K, both on a much larger install base) and I'd reckon most people interested in home console Mario already bought a Wii U for NSMBU long ago.

Vita drop to 25k is a bit lower than I expected, but still far from the sub-10k doldrums. Next week will be interesting, but not as interesting as the month of November.

kinggroin

Banned
2999 Wii U's sold this week.

The depths to which this system will sink, astounds me. Is it possible to cross streams with the Wii?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Really? A failure? After coming from the PSP that did not dominate and having it's "exclusives" striped from it, the Vita is basically at square one with customers. It has to prove that it's a worthy platform for customers and publishers alike. Sony has been setting up in-house exclusives to build it's reputation as a healthy platform so success will take time. I said it before and I'll say it again: It took time for MH to become the mega hit it is now, 4 years to be exact. The same thing applies to most things really so to expect immediate success especially coming from failure is a bit much.

Eh, PSP had more momentum at the end of it's life than the DS did. It was even handily kicking the ass of the 3DS during most of it's first year. So PsP having no momentum is completely false. The reason why the Vita had no momentum from the psp was simply due to Sony and they're significant screw ups. No physical backwards compatibility (which is pretty much what the vast majority of Japan dealt with) so they essentially competed against, hidden costs when obtaining the device, no MH whatsoever despite the fact it singlehanded saved the psp in Japan and the list goes on.

Is the WiiU doing worse than the Dreamcast was doing in Japan at this point?

Dreamcast LTD: 1.014 million

Dreamcast (past four weeks, post-price cut):
Week 43: 15,284
Week 44: 16,569
Week 45: 32,354
Week 46: 16,519

Wii U LTD: 1.081 million

Wii U (past four weeks, pre-bundle):
Week 43: 5,560
Week 44: 3,853
Week 45: 3,405
Week 46: 3,083

Wurdfurd

Poor WiiU, it makes the Dreamcast look like a huge success. Yikes.

Curious, how did the 360 do in japan this long after release?

Wurdfurd

360 LTD: 248,000

360 (past four weeks)
Week 43: 1,039
Week 44: 2,016
Week 45: 1,632
Week 46: 1,266

Ok so the WiiU isn't Xbox-in-Japan levels of failure yet, although the Xbox didn't have much in terms of games for that market. God help them if that number keeps dipping though. I wonder when Iwata concedes the CEO position.

watershed

Banned
Dreamcast LTD: 1.014 million

Dreamcast (past four weeks, post-price cut):
Week 43: 15,284
Week 44: 16,569
Week 45: 32,354
Week 46: 16,519

Wii U LTD: 1.081 million

Wii U (past four weeks, pre-bundle):
Week 43: 5,560
Week 44: 3,853
Week 45: 3,405
Week 46: 3,083
God the Wii U is such a disaster. I wonder what Nintendo's plan out of this is? They need to eke a profit out of the Wii U then launch a new home console pronto or get out of the console business all together. I don't think they can leave a stinker like that on the market any longer than absolutely necessary.

NeonZ

God the Wii U is such a disaster. I wonder what Nintendo's plan out of this is? They need to eke a profit out of the Wii U then launch a new home console pronto or get out of the console business all together. I don't think they can leave a stinker like that on the market any longer than absolutely necessary.

Launching a new console mid-generation, post Wii U, would be just asking for another disaster. They pretty much need to hold onto the Wii U for a few years now if they plan to stay in the console market.

Top Bottom