• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 42, 2016 (Oct 17 - Oct 23)

sanstesy

Is it true that someone on 4chan guessed the MHXX name right before the direct and also said MH5 will come to PS4? Can't navigate shit on 4chan.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I asked crinale for the source of that claim, and it's this tweet from WSJ's Mochizuki

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/791882098185424896

He also translated what's in that tweet, so we don't have to rely on sketchy Google Translation's stuff

Their fiscal year budget plan (ends March 2017 I assume) does not have Switch softwware at this moment. They also said they are willing to put effort towards that platform.

Given the wording, it really looks like something that, assuming something gets announced on January 12th and comes out by March 2017, can be edited for the next Capcom's Financial Release and Investor Meeting, coming weeks after the Switch's presentation.

wrowa

Well, I wouldn't consider it an easy achivement either.

That's true, but it's the kind of name you can easily throw around in a "wouldn't it be funny if this silly Japanese company used this silly name?" manner.

If he posted the MH5 info at the same time with the MXX name, I'd maybe find the rumor believable. But since he apparently only posted it afterwards it strikes me as a situation where he unexpectedly made a right prediction and then used that to stir up some shit. He's probably laughing right now.

sanstesy

That's true, but it's the kind of name you can easily throw around in a "wouldn't it be funny if this silly Japanese company used this silly name?" manner.

If he posted the MH5 info at the same time with the MXX name, I'd maybe find the rumor believable. But since he apparently only posted it afterwards it strikes me as a situation where he unexpectedly made a right prediction and then used that to stir up some shit. He's probably laughing right now.

So he posted it after the reveal? Then of course no point even discussing it.

That this Monster Hunter was the G version of X with 3DS the leading platform was speculated many months ago. Guessing such an easy name couldn't be more easy.

Everyone called it MHXG before. Monster Hunter XX is a super silly name, dude.

Oregano

Capcom has also pretty much said multiplatform PS4/Switch games aren't happening.*welp*

I'm not sure what they mean about Sony and Nintendo approaching business differently though.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Capcom has also pretty much said multiplatform PS4/Switch games aren't happening.*welp*

I'm not sure what they mean about Sony and Nintendo approaching business differently though.

If by also, you're referring to the crinale's post you quoted earlier, well

I asked crinale for the source of that claim, and it's this tweet from WSJ's Mochizuki

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/791882098185424896

He also translated what's in that tweet, so we don't have to rely on sketchy Google Translation's stuff

Their fiscal year budget plan (ends March 2017 I assume) does not have Switch softwware at this moment. They also said they are willing to put effort towards that platform.

Given the wording, it really looks like something that, assuming something gets announced on January 12th and comes out by March 2017, can be edited for the next Capcom's Financial Release and Investor Meeting, coming weeks after the Switch's presentation.

Thus, nothing that significant.

For the latter, there's a crystal clear English Tweet from Mochizuki himself, so no need to refer to the Japanese one. Better to quote the direct source.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/791912969462423552

Capcom says Sony and Nintendo approach game business differently, not that simple to make multi-platform games

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That probably means no RE7 for Nintendo Switch and no MH for PS4.
That's the most probably outcome for that statement, though funnily enough RE is probably one of the few major AAA franchises that has a sizeable fanbase on Nintendo systems

Maybe why Revelations 2 wasn't on the 3DS

L~A

I'm not sure there's anything to be read into this statement, other than "we don't want to tell you, so here's a bullcrap PR answer instead".

Anyway, main team behind MHXX:

Ryozo Tsujimoto (Producer of the Monster Hunter series)
Yasunori Ichinose (Director of the Monster Hunter series)
Shintaro Kojima (Producer)
Daisuke Ichihara (Director)
Takuro Hiraoka (Main Planner)

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201610/28119401.html

Was Ichinose Series Director before?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's just dumb. Skyrim and NBA are ""coming"" to the NS so their excuse is pretty much moot.
It's Capcom, they're well known for making all sorts of questions decisions and excuses. There's good reason they're primary cash cow is MH, as it'a probably the only current relevant UP they haven't mismanaged.

Oregano

If by also, you're referring to the crinale's post you quoted earlier, well

Thus, nothing that significant.

For the latter, there's a crystal clear English Tweet from Mochizuki himself, so no need to refer to the Japanese one. Better to quote the direct source.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/791912969462423552

I was referring to the English tweet.

The Japanese is pretty much the same but adds that their business approaches and machines are different.

What a weird thing to say though. Like what the fuck.

Yeah, it's a very weird thing to say. There's always been a weird level of platform association with franchises in Japan though.

Different demographics i guess? Like chibi games is Nintendo territory while realistic edgy art is all Sony region.

I always said that would be a barrier in regards to securing the PS-centric franchises and developers.

It's Capcom's best interest to have their games available in handheld form. Unless they want to grow irrelevant in their domestic market. :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A couple more mobile updates.

DeNA and Silicon Studio have released Fantasica Bloodlines in test markets. It's a new RPG based on the previously successful Fantasica tower defense games. Initial impressions don't seem great, but sections of the mobile audience like some rather questions titles, so we'll see how that goes over in the not too distant future.

Square Enix has also put up a teaser for something that looks like it's related to Final Fantasy Legends and is directed by Takashi Tokita.

That's just dumb. Skyrim and NBA are ""coming"" to the NS so their excuse is pretty much moot.

Those are textbook "test games" that will almost assuredly flop, because there's zero evidence that Nintendo is putting any real effort into actively cultivating the 17-35 Western male target demographic (namely, by investing massive sums of money into Western first-party development and moneyhatting third-party content).

L~A

Dengeki hasn't shared data for Week 42 yet, and MC didn't mention it at all, so no sell-through ratio for Mario Party: Star Rush for now.

L~A

Apologies for the double-post, but it's worth it.

Remember when Super Mario Run was announced, how we speculated that Nintendo changed the release order of the mobile game? Well, Kimishima confirmed just that during the meeting with investors yesterday.

Here's a relevant bit (translated by Cheesemeister):

A10. At the start of the fiscal year, we announced that 5 smart device apps would be released by the end of March 2017. Super Mario Run is one of them. Afterwards, development circumstances led us to confirm their release within the year, and so we reconsidered the order. As Pokémon GO is supported by many customers, in this case, we decided it might be better for Super Mario Run to go before the others.

While there was a big unknown as to how the smart device business would affect our existing business, it was extremely encouraging to see Pokémon GO provide synergy with packaged software just as we'd imagined. In this way, we'd like to strengthen how we develop smart device titles.

About the Pokémon GO syngergy bit, the announcement of the 2DS bundle for NSMB2 today (out on Dec. 15th) is most definitely not a coincidence.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Capcom weighs in on their mobile and PC f2p performance:

capcommobileltse3.png

Their sales predictions for their upcoming games are unchanged.

Monster Hunter Generations did 800K in the first half of the fiscal year, with Resident Evil 5 doing 500K (both are worldwide numbers).

They do confirm that the Monster Hunter Stories mobile game was developed internally, and that they bundle Asia into their Japanese unit sales predictions now.

L~A

Capcom weighs in on their mobile and PC f2p performance:

capcommobileltse3.png

Their sales predictions for their upcoming games are unchanged.

Monster Hunter Generations did 800K in the first half of the fiscal year, with Resident Evil 5 doing 500K (both are worldwide numbers).

They do confirm that the Monster Hunter Stories mobile game was developed internally, and that they bundle Asia into their Japanese unit sales predictions now.

As I said in the other thread, I think we can assume western sales amount to ~750k (max) since weekly sales in Japan have been around 1-2k in the past couple of weeks. Around 700-750k, actually.

Also, quite amusing that MHS mobile game ended up the game developed internally, while the main game was outsourced.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
MHX shipped 100k last quarter in Japan and has received big price cuts at retailers last months. I doubt more than a few k shipped this quarter in the country if they were shipped at all. 800k come almost all from west.

How long did it take japanese publishers to ditch DS in favor of 3DS? For instance, is it likely that the next mainline monster hunter/pokemon games are going to be Switch exclusives or 3DS/Switch games?

Apologies for the double-post, but it's worth it.

Remember when Super Mario Run was announced, how we speculated that Nintendo changed the release order of the mobile game? Well, Kimishima confirmed just that during the meeting with investors yesterday.

That's not news. It was in the SMR press release.

Oregano

It's been discussed in the past how slow third parties generally are to support new platforms in Japan. It wouldn't be surprising to see that continue.

Eolz

PREDICTION LEAGUE NOVEMBER 2016

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Oct 31 to Nov 27):

[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (28 days) - 140k
[PS4 - PSV] Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey (26 days) - 88k
[PS4] Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (24 days) - 132k
[PS4] PlayStation 4 Pro Hardware (18 days) - 50k
[3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon (10 days) - 2369k
[PS4 - PSV] SD Gundam G Generation Genesis (6 days) - 73k

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Predictions

[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (28 days) - 210.987
[PS4 - PSV] Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey (26 days) - 89.012
[PS4] Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (24 days) - 210.987
[PS4] PlayStation 4 Pro Hardware (18 days) - 67.890
[3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon (10 days) - 2.345.678
[PS4 - PSV] SD Gundam G Generation Genesis (6 days) - 78.901

Top Bottom