• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 42, 2016 (Oct 17 - Oct 23)

wrowa

This time there will be only one Nintendo platform.

There won't be a handheld version cannibalizing the console version.

And Switch is a handheld.

So yes. It will dominate Japan, as long it has the software.

Just like the 3DS dominated Japan prior to its price cut? There are still too many open questions that need to be answered.

casiopao

The Switch is too big to be called a portable, and that's from a perspective of someone who is now sitting on the metro in China and takes the metro to and from work everyday , fitting the description of the Japanese lifestyle.

If the Switch succeeds it will be because of the software, you're right but that will be so despite its hardware not because of it.

Ummm. Since when had ever hardware is the main reason for one platform to be successful rather than the software here?

Even DS or Wii had killer software so, if Switch is to succeeds thanks to software...... it is like normal?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Just like the 3DS dominated Japan prior to its price cut? There are still too many open questions that need to be answered.

Price
Software
Positioning as home console

So far nothing indicates the switch as a relevant hw for japan

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Price
Software
Positioning as home console

So far nothing indicates the switch as a relevant hw for japan

.... we dont even know how they are positioning the system in Japan.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
.... we dont even know how they are positioning the system in Japan.

The japanese website calls it a home console

The reveal was International and had those software with nba and skyrim as highlights

Are we pretending that the japanese government blocked the switch website and related contents in japan?
C'mon

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

The reveal was International and had those software with nba and skyrim as highlights

Are we pretending that the japanese government blocked the switch website and related contents in japan?
C'mon

You'll overtake Oregano with the logical jumps you make.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
You'll overtake Oregano with the logical jumps you make.

Yeah cant wait to enlarge the list of games "obviously " coming to the switch all together
Last week I was the only one worried
Scroll this topic and voilà ... many others share the same doubts about the console in japan
There are many signs indicating switch not as the 3ds successor in Nintendo strategy and positioning
Tom bad, a waste for me, but so far all the official info point toward that

The Switch is too big to be called a portable, and that's from a perspective of someone who is now sitting on the metro in China and takes the metro to and from work everyday , fitting the description of the Japanese lifestyle.

If the Switch succeeds it will be because of the software, you're right but that will be so despite its hardware not because of it.
Let's not act like DS XL, 3DS or PSP were ever portable. Switch is like a small tablet, so yes, it's definitely portable. Smartphones are getting bigger and bigger too.

Portable =/= fit in your pocket

Yes?

But I agree that we have many questions to be answered. The first-party software is a sure fire though. Animal Crossing, Mario and Pokémon will proceed to sell millions of software and push tons of hardware.

If Capcom wants to stay relevant in Japan and save their fiscal reports year after year, they have to release Monster Hunter for Switch. Same thing for Level-5. And no, Mobile is not the solution for these two companies (both have failed miserably at that market).

Bruno MB

PREDICTION LEAGUE NOVEMBER 2016

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Oct 31 to Nov 27):

[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (28 days) - 220.000
[PS4 - PSV] Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey (26 days) - 80.000
[PS4] Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (24 days) - 205.000
[PS4] PlayStation 4 Pro Hardware (18 days) - 65.000
[3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon (10 days) - 2.500.000
[PS4 - PSV] SD Gundam G Generation Genesis (6 days) - 125.000

cw_sasuke

C'mon

lol - go ahead then, not interested in bringing up common sense when there is nothing but doom and gloom coming from your direction.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Yeah cant wait to enlarge the list of games "obviously " coming to the switch all together
Last week I was the only one worried
Scroll this topic and voilà ... many others share the same doubts about the console in japan
There are many signs indicating switch not as the 3ds successor in Nintendo strategy and positioning
Tom bad, a waste for me, but so far all the official info point toward that

So after Trinity we have and other unannounced hardware or ever better exit of Nintendo from portable business.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Let's not act like DS XL, 3DS or PSP were ever portable. Switch is like a small tablet, so yes, it's definitely portable. Smartphones are getting bigger and bigger too.

Yes?

But I agree that we have many questions to be answered. The first-party software is a sure fire though.

So we know they are developing brand new mainline episode of fire emblem, animal crossing and pokemon games for the console launch?
Even in the first two will see a mobile eoisode each to be released in the same period, with AC even getting a Directed update for the old title right now and pokemon being pushed as never before on the old hw?
Because those would be a sure first party lineup fire for a nintendo portable system in japan

Not wiiu ports

cheesekao

What is this nonsense? Every single handheld I've ever owned since I was a kid, from the Game Boy to the Vita, has always fit in my pockets and no, I don't wear cargoes.

So we know they are developing brand new mainline episode of fire emblem, animal crossing and pokemon games for the console launch?
Even in the first two will see a mobile eoisode each to be released in the same period, with AC even getting a Directed update for the old title right now and pokemon being pushed as never before on the old hw?
Because those would be a sure first party lineup fire for a nintendo portable system in japan

Not wiiu ports

Why are you so fixed about the reductive launch games? Nobody is talking about launch, Switch is a long term project, it should last at least 5 years. In the grand scheme of things nobody outside Neogaf gives a fuck about launch games, having a strong/weak line up of games at launch means shit and history has taught us that. Check the charts in the long run. Bleep.

The push for New Leaf and Sun & Moon is because of the Mobile counterparts, and one doesn't cancel the other. Have you not seen the effect of Pokémon Go on the 3DS catalogue? You should check on that too! Bloop.

Animal Crossing, Pokémon and Mario are all coming to Switch with high production values and you will deal! :lol

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What is this nonsense? Every single handheld I've ever owned since I was a kid, from the Game Boy to the Vita, has always fit in my pockets and no, I don't wear cargoes.

I would be surprised if a lot of people if not most don't actually put their handhelds in their pockets. The 3DS XL was the best selling SKU and it's hardly the most portable of devices unless you like the nice big rectangle shape on your trousers.

Not wiiu ports

Actually that means there's a very good chance that we'll see FE and AC games on switch relatively early on remember Nintendo's mobile strategy is to use those games to advertise their home console entries see why NSB2 was resurrected from the grave for a bundle in time with SMR.

Their basically trying to expand the Pokémon go effect to all their franchises.

wrowa

C'mon

Oh, they showed NBA? Well, shit, I guess Switch is exclusively aimed at an American audience, then.

Seriously though, the reveal trailer was supposed to demonstrate Switch's concept and not indiviual games. What games they showed to demonstrate the point is really not essential. Skyrim was supposed to demonstrate that complex games become playable both at home and on the go, NBA was used to portray this weird kind of social gathering. It doesn't take much for Europeans to replace NBA with Fifa in their mind or for Japanese to replace Skyrim with Monster Hunter. It's about the idea.

And even if you take the games at face value, why would you ignore Mario, Mario Kart and Splatoon? These are games that are very popular in Japan and will help Switch's sales if released near launch.

Judging Nintendo's positioning of the Switch based on a few lines of PR is also premature. Let's wait what they'll show in January before making definite assumptions about whether or not Switch will appeal to a "portable audience" as well and about what games it will receive.

Fdkn

I would like to meet these people that put their Vita & 3DS XL in their pockets, I truly do. :p

I've done it but on jeans is not obviously the norm. Anyway, coats have pockets and they fit in those

DS and PSP were totally pocket size though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
He clearly said "so far" which means up until now. How is he wrong? All the marketing for now seems western centric.

Thanks
I dont see any actual fact sustaining the Switch positioning as a 3DS successor in japan so far
HHopefuly I am wrong but people arguments seem just "obvious" reasons just Because
Of course if N will change the perception at the unveil I will change mine

lol - go ahead then, not interested in bringing up common sense when there is nothing but doom and gloom coming from your direction.

So after Trinity we have and other unannounced hardware or ever better exit of Nintendo from portable business.

I dont see doom and gloom but disappointment for a concept that risks to be wrongly positioned

Are we saying that Nintendo make markwting/price /software mistake is so out of this world?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Thanks
I dont see any actual fact sustaining the Switch positioning as a 3DS successor in japan so far
HHopefuly I am wrong but people arguments seem just "obvious" reasons just Because
Of course if N will change the perception at the unveil I will change mine

I dont see doom and gloom but disappointment for a concept that risks to be wrongly positioned

Are we saying that Nintendo make markwting/price /software mistake is so out of this world?

It's a portable and the first of Nintendo's new ecosystem of consoles and portables. It's also a 3rd pillar which is Nintendo's code word for direct successor but if it catastrophically flops we'll pretend it isn't. Just like the DS was a successor to the Gameboy. Did you see a Gameboy successor show up or even a hint that it was ever in development?.

sanstesy

I've done it but on jeans is not obviously the norm. Anyway, coats have pockets and they fit in those

DS and PSP were totally pocket size though.

No one puts electronics into their pockets save for phones and no one wants to in the future either. Just because DS and PSP were pocket size (for adults mind you) doesn't mean anyone put them in their pocket. I've never seen anyone carry their handheld in their pocket since the GBASP and even then it was only a rare occurence.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No one puts electronics into their pockets save for phones and no one wants to in the future either. Just because DS and PSP were pocket size (for adults mind you) doesn't mean anyone put them in their pocket. I've never seen anyone carry their handheld in their pocket since the GBASP and even then it was only a rare occurence.

It's incredibly limiting in the first place what if you want to change carts, charge it etc, all that probably won't fit in your pocks among other stuff you'll probably want to put some of it in a bag and if your doing that might as well put the portable in aswell

wrowa

That's right, but they do have to compete for "bag space", though. A 3DS XL is small enough to just throw in a bag, but a student or salaryman might already be carrying enough stuff around without a (second) tablet. Big is more popular than small, but when does big become too big? I don't know.

Fdkn

hey, you asked. I'm not saying anything about pocket size being very important for sales nowadays lol

cw_sasuke

I dont understand the Pocket argument. The 3DS XL is also to big to fit into most pockets of small children and compared to devices of the previous gens, Vita and 3DS XL are quite large too. These devices costs more than 200 bucks now - so people want the best experience if they are paying as much.

Show any kid a NS running Minecraft and Splatoon next to the same game running on the regular n3DS and they will likely chose the NS. There is a reason why tablets always dominated the Christmas Wishlists.

Having a big ass screen HD screen and being able to switch between tablet/portable and the TV will be a big deal - especially for parents that dont wanna have to buy multiple devices.

Everything is possible - just dont think its worth to measure their approach for Japan when we dont know anything about it prior to the January event.

sanstesy

That's right, but they do have to compete for "bag space", though. A 3DS XL is small enough to just throw in a bag, but a student or salaryman might already be carrying enough stuff around without a (second) tablet. Big is more popular than small, but when does big become too big? I don't know.

Yeah you don't know. That the Switch has to compete for "bag space" is also a pretty funny myth, yeah. It's not an argument eitherway, though, because the Switch is only slightly bigger than the 3DS XL.
hey, you asked. I'm not saying anything about pocket size being very important for sales nowadays lol

:p

cheesekao

I would like to meet these people that put their Vita & 3DS XL in their pockets, I truly do. :p
I can do both! They're not really a hindrance either, outside of not being able to carry my wallet, phone and car keys without looking like I have child bearing hips.

I would be surprised if a lot of people if not most don't actually put their handhelds in their pockets. The 3DS XL was the best selling SKU and it's hardly the most portable of devices unless you like the nice big rectangle shape on your trousers.
My point was that it fits in regular pockets from shorts to long pants. I can see how it'd look funny with a rectangular shaped bulge on some pants though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Why are you so fixed about the reductive launch games? Nobody is talking about launch, Switch is a long term project, it should last at least 5 years. In the grand scheme of things nobody outside Neogaf gives a fuck about launch games, having a strong/weak line up of games at launch means shit and history has taught us that. Check the charts in the long run. Bleep.

The push for New Leaf and Sun & Moon is because of the Mobile counterparts, and one doesn't cancel the other. Have you not seen the effect of Pokémon Go on the 3DS catalogue? You should check on that too! Bloop.

Animal Crossing, Pokémon and Mario are all coming to Switch with high production values and you will deal! :lol

Because the launch is crucial for the success of a console
Especially in terms of positioning and target

Price can also be adjusted slightly later

Mario007

Yes?

But I agree that we have many questions to be answered. The first-party software is a sure fire though. Animal Crossing, Mario and Pokémon will proceed to sell millions of software and push tons of hardware.

If Capcom wants to stay relevant in Japan and save their fiscal reports year after year, they have to release Monster Hunter for Switch. Same thing for Level-5. And no, Mobile is not the solution for these two companies (both have failed miserably at that market).
Switch is much bigger than all of those, especially when the controllers are added in. It's a put it in your bag portable. And then there's two problems, do you have space on the metro to even play something as huge as that and why should you go to your bag when you can get a much easier to handle phone out.

Branduil

Hot take: When Nintendo announced Super Mario Run they essentially exited the portable business.

They kind of already did with the 3DS. OoT 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land, Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, Xenoblade, Luigi's Mansion... these are home console-type games, on a portable system. Nintendo didn't really try very hard to go after the DS market that bought games like Brain Training, Nintendogs, etc. That market had already abandoned them for smartphones.

That's why the Switch makes a lot of sense for Nintendo... they were already basically making the same video games twice, once for each system. The Wii U and 3DS versions of each game have the same basic gameplay and feel, so it's much more economical to just develop the one game and people can play it however they want.

L~A

Ōkami;222192715 said:
[*][3DS] River City: Tokyo Rumble - 9
[/LIST]

Careful, you got the wrong game. That's supposed to be River City Ransom SP. Tokyo Rumble is another game from 2013 that Natsume recently localised.

Hehe

You asked for me? ;)

About the NS, I don't think anyone could fit it in their pockets, as it's way too big, and the sticks + screens would get ruined in just a matter of days.

About Miitopia, really curious to see what it's all about. If it's shown in the Animal Crossing Direct, that means they're targeting the same audience, like we thought (mostly casuals). Guess pre-orders will start on Thursday.

Real question is release date... I'd say December 8th, but that's really cutting it close for retailers.

EDIT: Wii U production ending this week, it seems. Holiday numbers are going to be "funny".

> http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-01-nintendo-to-end-wii-u-production-this-week

Sandfox

Switch is much bigger than all of those, especially when the controllers are added in. It's a put it in your bag portable. And then there's two problems, do you have space on the metro to even play something as huge as that and why should you go to your bag when you can get a much easier to handle phone out.
The Switch is actually smaller than people seem to think. It's not much bigger than the New 3DS XL.
They kind of already did with the 3DS. OoT 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land, Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, Xenoblade, Luigi's Mansion... these are home console-type games, on a portable system. Nintendo didn't really try very hard to go after the DS market that bought games like Brain Training, Nintendogs, etc. That market had already abandoned them for smartphones.

That's why the Switch makes a lot of sense for Nintendo... they were already basically making the same video games twice, once for each system. The Wii U and 3DS versions of each game have the same basic gameplay and feel, so it's much more economical to just develop the one game and people can play it however they want.
I think you could argue that series like LM2 were adapted to handhelds.

I was hoping that someone would answer my Sushi/Tempura bundle questions from earlier, but oh well. I'm just really concerned about YW3 sales in Japan personally.

Datschge

And they won't publicly position it as such before the Christmas and New Year sales holidays are over. The Switch presentation is on January 12th for a reason. Not sure why this still needs being discussed. The Switch marketing is Western focused so far simply since it's the West that has a high interest in a new home console (more so than a new handheld) by Nintendo.

L~A

I was hoping that someone would answer my Sushi/Tempura bundle questions from earlier, but oh well. I'm just really concerned about YW3 sales in Japan personally.

MC (and Famitsu?) will report sales separately (not part of the regular YW3 sales), and as 1 unit per bundle.

Level-5 may count two units for each bundle sold, but there's no way to know for sure.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

How Famitsu or Media Create will track Sushi/Tempura bundle has nothing to do with its sales but since you are curious it will be the same with Pokemon.

Famitsu will include it at YW3 total sales multiplied with 2 and Media Create as different SKU.

The Switch is actually smaller than people seem to think. It's not much bigger than the New 3DS XL.

You are right. I thought it was much bigger but it's really not

https://twitter.com/KingAveryGames/status/790125092974059520/photo/1

CvcVsCEW8AACfIR.jpg

Ōkami

Seems like Battlefield 1 is doing well on digital, that or SAO, WoFF and Berserk didn't as they couldn't knock it from #1 on the PS Store.

Berserk was also sold at 10% off at launch, a treatment usually saved for western indie games.

Vita version of Berserk did worst of all Vita games released this week too, so digital won't be saving Vita Guts.

Zolo

Ōkami;222536139 said:
Vita version of Berserk did worst of all Vita games released this week too, so digital won't be saving Vita Guts.

Well, it seems like fairly generic gameplay (I don't play Musou titles) mixed with a game that has to be heavily content-altered to fit with the ratings system.

Ōkami;222536139 said:
Seems like Battlefield 1 is doing well on digital, that or SAO, WoFF and Berserk didn't as they couldn't knock it from #1 on the PS Store.

Berserk was also sold at 10% off at launch, a treatment usually saved for western indie games.

After the success BF4 had digitally in Japan it wouldn't surprise me if BF1 has bigger than usual digital/retail ratio.

jeremy1456

It actually did. It was selling pretty decently in Japan before it with a few dips.

Revisionist history. I assume you were a Vita fan? I only make that assumption because that was the only group that said the 3DS was bombing at that point.

Top Bottom