• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2013 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)

With no next-gen consoles and Mario 3D World, it's pretty clear the Wii U will be the dominant console this holiday in Japan.

And it should do better in the US.

I'm mostly worried about the first couple of months next year.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Also for context, the similar week in 2007 for Wii. With Mario Galaxy as a new game in that week:

Code:
01./00. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) - 250,585 / NEW

Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
3. WII   -    37,617 |    27,502 | 2,825,884 |  3,745,527

Bundy

Banned
WIU | 38.802

iHPBIy4zn3LHt.gif

u8j.gif

edit.
I'm laughing my ass off here, man ;D ;D ;D
And yes, I'm at work ;D!

Albo

WIU | 38.802

iHPBIy4zn3LHt.gif

My god. Needs some execs faces shopped on this.

Good job Wii U. Should be interesting to see how it does in the following weeks leading up to SM3DW. Ninty needs to push the marketing hard now to ensure they want to maintain this bump, while gaining momentum. At least some of the audience for games like Wii party u are still interested in the system, if only a fraction for now.

Holy shit at WiiU. I would never imagine it will sell +30k ever again. Good for them. I'm a little bit disappointed with the Vita , though. I thought it would sell at least +40k with Gundam bundle. Bandai should have released it along with PS3 version instead of few months later. What a shame.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Not bad for Wii U.

IMO the bundles plus Mario should lead to a decent December.

Still needs a price cut to coincide with Mario Kart.

L Thammy

I thought those games where coming out next year, my bad! :(

The weirder part of your point was saying that the Vita would do better than the 3DS in December, where people should be scooping up casual-oriented titles, the thing that the Vita badly lacks.
(And I guess Mario Party's coming out then according to DrWong? Wikipedia doesn't show the JP date.)

It needed confirmation?

I'm sure there was someone who doubted it.

The point was that these casual games end up the LTD at 10 times their first week on average, which is pretty unusual in the videogame market.

One thing that I don't understand is that NSMBU is at 38.936 in famitsu but nowhere to be found in the media create charts... is there a digital coupon include in the bundle ??

Code:
17./00. [WIU] Wii Fit U [Wii U Family Premium Set Black/White] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥34.800) - 5.683 / NEW <80-100%>
What bundle is this ??

You think Wii Party U is going to have a LTD of 800k?

Get more perspective. Check when Wii Party was released and what was the basis at that point in time.

Do you honestly think the Wii audience is going to come back on the WiiU.

With no next-gen consoles and Mario 3D World, it's pretty clear the Wii U will be the dominant console this holiday in Japan.

lmao, its only competition is a 7 year old console who will probably do 20k a week at best.

Kid Ying

Since Famitsu is including bundle sales, that means NSMBU sold about 100 copies outside of the bundle.

Wow

Also, the Wii Fit U bundle has not been on the shelves at any store I've been to (only the other bundle), but when I asked to buy it, they had them.

Edit: all games in bundles are preloaded. Mine came with NSMBU, Wii Party U and Wii Fit U installed. No codes.
That explains it. They probably arent being counted for the eshop rankings. A shame, since now only nintendo can give us the numbers.

And qe cant say all of those sales are for the bundles since there is still some of the older skus around. Almost everything is for sure though and we cant expect more than 1000 copies for mario.

Also for context, the similar week in 2007 for Wii. With Mario Galaxy as a new game in that week:
You think the Wii, which was regularly posting numbers above 40, 50, 60, 70K in 2007, and suffered regular supply constraint, selling 37K in a particular week somehow contextualizes the Wii U's sales at the release of a bundle that essentially gives away 3 games?

Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2013 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)

01./01. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800) - 162.347 / 2.731.470 (-29%)

04./04. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) - 46.729 / 2.872.106 (-31%)

Famitsu Sales: Week 44, 2013 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)

01./01. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800) - 137.720 / 3.090.779 <80-100%> (-48%)

05./04. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) - 47.393 / 3.022.872 <80-100%> (-21%)
Pokemon X/Y has already caught up with Monster hunter 4 according to Famitsu, next week it should surpass it also on Media Create charts.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
[3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai and the Future Stars (Sega) - 88.737 / 169.111 / 52,47% 08/03/12

And, looking at Comgnet, there are signs for a bigger debut for PM2.

Cool, such a cute game. Then again, I'm a sucker for Nendoroids.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

It definitely has a chance to beat PS3 this holiday season.

About the first couple of months next year, Donkey Kong could help sell systems. Mario Kart will be the real system seller, but it's more likely it will release in March.

Ok numbers considering how god awful sales have been. Better than disastrous though, so that's some positive news going into the holiday.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Am I missing something here? Is there something on the PS3 that I don't know about?

Lightning Returns, FF-X HD, GT6. Probably wont push much due to saturation point and no price dropping.

But really its taking the condition of being the only new home console on the market in the last 7 years as some kind of win condition that stands out as a metric for absurdity.

And yet people told me last week that "lolno these bundles won't help, PS3 will destroy it."

Which is it, guys?

Which people. I dont remember seeing much of that at all?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Do you honestly think the Wii audience is going to come back on the WiiU.

I don't know, I don't have your crystal ball to be so certain about things. Specially based on this week's results. We will have more data in the next weeks. But check what I already posted in this thread. When Wii Party was launched there were alread 10 million Wii out there and in that week there were 24k Wii sold. In the similar week in Wii's life it sold 37k with Mario Galaxy launching in the same week.

You think the Wii, which was regularly posting numbers above 40, 50, 60, 70K in 2007, and suffered regular supply constraint, selling 37K in a particular week somehow contextualizes the Wii U's sales at the release of a bundle that essentially gives away 3 games?

I checked the exact same week, there is even a big launch during that week. In September, October and November 2007 the average is somewhere below 30k and it rises quickly for the holiday. I didn't nitpick, but you are free to do it if you want. This doesn't mean that it's going to sell in the same way as Wii, but it is a good week for Wii U. If it will be a good week also next week we will see.

Lightning Returns, FF-X HD, GT6.

But really its taking the condition of being the only new home console on the market in the last 7 years as some kind of win condition that stands out as a metric for absurdity.

Which people. I dont remember seeing much of that at all?

Goalposts being moved again. First it was "lol, PS3 will destroy the Wii U, it will tank this holiday," and now it's, "It'll beat the PS3 and be the #1 selling console, but lol that's a 7 year old console, that's pathetic."

Vita TV is coming out next week though. At $150 bundle, many families can easily pick it up over a home console for their kid. It's really hard to predict how well it will do since it's the first of its kind in Japan. We'll see.

24./24. [3DS] Youkai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 3.189 / 214.061 <80-100%> (+2%)

I honestly thought we had seen the last of Youkai Watch, but looks like kids are still interested!

Pokemon X/Y has already caught up with Monster hunter 4 according to Famitsu, next week it should surpass it also on Media Create charts.
Having the game in stock definitely helped.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I do think this shows there is still some interest in the Wii U from the casual/family audience. Needs a price drop.

Ratrat

Boring week. Not a disaster but nothing impressive either. Gta V close to 600k across both platforms? Nice.

Kenka

Nice numbers for 3DS, ok for Wii U and so and so for Vita. I guess Vita will outsell the 3DS later this month and during December since there are no big 3:rd party games coming out for the 3DS and it's on a downward spiral (sales wise)

dean-what-gifo3s5i.gif

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
And yet people told me last week that "lolno these bundles won't help, PS3 will destroy it."

Which is it, guys?

I've gone through all of last weeks media create thread and you had no such exchange with anyone.

gogogow

Goalposts being moved again. First it was "lol, PS3 will destroy the Wii U, it will tank this holiday," and now it's, "It'll beat the PS3 and be the #1 selling console, but lol that's a 7 year old console, that's pathetic."

It's always the same when the discussion is about the Wii U, whether it's about sales or technical prowess. Nintendo/Wii U always loses.

"Wii U game doesn't look as good as 7 year old HW PS3/360, pathetic!"

"Wii U game looks better than PS3/360". "Duh, it's 7 year old HW, it would be pathetic if it didn't!"

I do think this shows there is still some interest in the Wii U from the casual/family audience. Needs a price drop.

They can probably ride off the holidays on the back of the bundles + the general holiday boost + maybe 3D World but a price drop in time for Mario Kart is essential to keep a half decent momentum going.

The more important question is "What does Nintendo have lined up for the next subsequent weeks to keep up the momentum?"

If the answer is 'nothing much until Mario' we might be seeing under 10K again which would suck for such a young platform.

HardRojo

Many of your posts have been mostly pro Nintendo but come on, Wii U doing better in the US? No way.
In Japan I could believe so since next gen consoles won't arrive till next year.

mclem

I was hoping for >50k for Wii U, but it's a decent bump nevertheless. We'll see what it settles to in the coming weeks, though. Hopefully it can at least sustain five figures.

Top Bottom