• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2013 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)

The more important question is "What does Nintendo have lined up for the next subsequent weeks to keep up the momentum?"

I don't think this is even a question when we already know.

Japan
11/14
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Subtitled Edition)

11/21
Super Mario 3D World
Taiko no Tatsujin: Wii U Version

11/28
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Disney Infinity (Starter Pack)

12/05
Batman: Arkham Begins
Dragon Quest X: Nemureru Yuusha to Michibiki no Meiyuu Online
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games

12/11
Monster Hunter Frontier G (Beginner's Package)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The more important question is "What does Nintendo have lined up for the next subsequent weeks to keep up the momentum?"

If the answer is 'nothing much until Mario' we might be seeing under 10K again which would suck for such a young platform.

SM3D World and Taiko Drum in 2 weeks.

Goalposts being moved again. First it was "lol, PS3 will destroy the Wii U, it will tank this holiday," and now it's, "It'll beat the PS3 and be the #1 selling console, but lol that's a 7 year old console, that's pathetic."

I would suggest to not party before that actually happens.
40K this week is about 10k more then expected and a part of those sales are sales that would have happened in previous weeks if people weren't waiting for bundle.

Foshy

I do think this shows there is still some interest in the Wii U from the casual/family audience. Needs a price drop.

It's quite confusing actually. I thought that the general consensus was that the Wii U was primarly selling to the hardcore Nintendo fans, but with Wii Party U outperforming WWHD (and W101, but yeah), I'm not sure which demographic is actually buying the console at this point.

schuelma

It's quite confusing actually. I thought that the general consensus was that the Wii U was primarly selling to the hardcore Nintendo fans, but with Wii Party U heavily outperforming WWHD (and W101, but yeah), I'm not sure which demographic is actually buying the console at this point.

Well this bundle was squarely aimed at the Wii casual crowd- 2D Mario, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U in half the bundles, plus Wii Sports Club arriving on the e-shop the day before.

NotLiquid

zEn67VT.gif

Let's see how good it can hold.

Shahed

Good for Wii U.

Are the second week sales of Pro Baseball a bit irregular? I mean PS3 and Vita didn't drop that much, and PSP even gained.

I've mentioned this, but no store I went to advertised even having the Wii Fit U bundle, despite having it in the back. There was literally zero mention of if.

Also, you only save about 200 yen w(two bucks) with it, as the Fit meter is about 2300 yen.

Odd, but makes sense if the wii fit bundle doesn't really offer any extra value.

Well this bundle was squarely aimed at the Wii casual crowd- 2D Mario, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U in half the bundles, plus Wii Sports Club arriving on the e-shop the day before.

I don't know, with so much stuff thrown in it's honestly just a better deal for anyone to pick up especially since no one ever wanted the basic which means this bundle is barely more expensive to get. Nintendo has always had their Mario Party games do well, so I think it's a little early to say the Wii audience is interested again.

I don't think this is even a question when we already know.

Japan

Eh. With that kind of line up I think PS3 will actually sell more this holiday season... Of course sales for both will be pretty abysmal but the other is 7 year old console without price drop in two years and the other one is one year old console (that actually has same entry price as PS3...).

With Wii U Party selling well, I think we can expect good things from Taiko Drum.

Definitely not the direction I'd want Nintendo to go, but whatever, just keep giving me them first-party goodies.

Hot Dayum at that WiiU bump, about damn time hopefully now Nintendo won't let it fall back into obscurity. Also great to see Vita above 25k, keep that momentum going.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
the only reasonable (and would be somehow good, even if...not so good) target the Wii U can have is to repeat GC LTD numbers within end of 2017, keeping a low but still existen momentum sufficient enough to justify Nintendo efforts in supporting it.
Also because I have a Wii U and I want Nintendo games for some years, not only until end of 2014.

schuelma

A 4 week sum of ~200K would probably be the hurdle to cross at least. The PS3 has generally done around that number or more (2007, 2008, 2010, 2011) when one takes out the Slim/FFXIII holiday.

I think that would be the minimum. Gamecube's first 3 Decembers did better than that.

Bundy

Banned
Vita TV is coming out next week though. At $150 bundle, many families can easily pick it up over a home console for their kid. It's really hard to predict how well it will do since it's the first of its kind in Japan. We'll see.

Bundle? Any details? What's included?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
A 4 week sum of ~200K would probably be the hurdle to cross at least. The PS3 has generally done around that number or more (2007, 2008, 2010, 2011) when one takes out the Slim/FFXIII holiday.

I think that would be the minimum. Gamecube's first 3 Decembers did better than that.

I think realistically, it would have be closer to 400k for the month of Dec to be reasonable. What do you think?

Are you so sure about it?
I'm honestly curious.
Btw, will the 3DS 2013 be higher or not compared to the 3DS 2012?
HEAD TO HEAD, that's less depressing than the VitaTV VS Wii U race, imho :p

I don't think so. With the release of Animal Crossing the 3DS stayed well over 150k per week for the rest of the year. I think 2012 might just pip 2013, but the 5m goal will still be easily reached.

Gamerloid

I don't see much of a reason for Vita to drop down for he rest of the year in Japan. It should hold nicely due to the upcoming games. Wii U finally sprung back, and with upcoming games I wonder of it'll hold as nice as the Vita has been doing, heck, perhaps Mario will actually surge the sales for a few weeks.

SmokyDave

I don't think so. With the release of Animal Crossing the 3DS stayed well over 150k per week for the rest of the year. I think 2012 might just pip 2013, but the 5m goal will still be easily reached.

Wait, what? Have we traded souls or something? I could've sworn it used to be me that expected 2012 > 2013 and you that felt the opposite.

With Wii U Party selling well, I think we can expect good things from Taiko Drum.

Definitely not the direction I'd want Nintendo to go, but whatever, just keep giving me them first-party goodies.

exactly what bothers me. With W101 bombing and WiiPartyU selling, I don't like the changes they're going to make when they will have the shareholders's bloodbath at the end of the FY...

Wait, what? Have we traded souls or something? I could've sworn it used to be me that expected 2012 > 2013 and you that felt the opposite.
I argued that it was possible that this year would cross 2012 but that was if the combined effect of MH4 and Pokemon were enough to outlast the combined effect of NSMB2+3DSLL and Animal Crossing fueled holiday, now I don't think it'd be enough. Next week is Animal Crossing week and the 3DS entered full beast mode from there.

Kid Ying

I don't know why people think Wiiu selling more than the PS3 on holidays would be a big deal. I always thought that was a lock. Nintendo systems gets the biggest boost on holidays, Wiiu has a couple of big games and the PS3 has been on a downward trend on last year holidays for some time now... And it's not like that's a bad thing. It's a seven years old after all. What you're seeing here is not going to get much better at the end of the year. Wiiu selling more than the PS3 was never a question. The problem is that it sold much less for almost the entire year. PS3 is old as hell. It don't have an obligation to do well on holidays, Wiiu on the other side...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I think that's possible but unlikely.

I don't really see it.

Even though it's a low bar, if it can do 200K+ I'd consider that reasonable, considering how it's been selling all year.

tumblr_m8odr1hTE61rp4lezo1_400.gif

So we'll see if it manages over 200k for Dec. So Nintendo have forecast 9 million WiiU units to be sold world wide before the JPN fiscal year end of 31 March 2014. They've already sold around 4 million so that is a short fall of approx 5 million.

I reckon they'll have to sell at least 3 million in Dec to even get close to this target. I think they would have to sell at least 500k in JPN alone.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I don't know why people think Wiiu selling more than the PS3 on holidays would be a big deal. I always thought that was a lock. Nintendo systems gets the biggest boost on holidays, Wiiu has a couple of big games and the PS3 has been on a downward trend on last year holidays for some time now... And it's not like that's a bad thing. It's a seven years old after all. What you're seeing here is not going to get much better at the end of the year. Wiiu selling more than the PS3 was never a question. The problem is that it sold much less for almost the entire year. PS3 is old as hell. It don't have an obligation to do well on holidays, Wiiu on the other side...
Nintendo was not ready, the system suffered because of this. Now they are, let's see the difference it makes.

So we'll see if it manages over 200k for Dec. So Nintendo have forecast 9 million WiiU units to be sold world wide before the JPN fiscal year end of 31 March 2014. They've already sold around 4 million so that is a short fall of approx 5 million.

I reckon they'll have to sell at least 3 million in Dec to even get close to this target. I think they would have to sell at least 500k in JPN alone.

the 9m is for this fiscal year iirc so the 3.5 shipped last year aren't counted

to meet the forecast would need a ww ltd of 12.5 mill

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Overall I think this is a good first week bump for the Wii U, but the proof is in how it holds up in the weeks before Mario (since presumably that will be the dominant factor in sales after that point).

A slight correction here, they forecasted shipping 9 million within the fiscal year, not in aggregate overall.

So far they're at 460,00 for the first six months.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

The forecast was to sell 9 million this fiscal year :p March to March. The forecast they refuse to adjust.

cyberheater

the 9m is for this fiscal year iirc so the 3.5 shipped last year aren't counted

to meet the forecast would need a ww ltd of 12.5 mill

Overall I think this is a good first week bump for the Wii U, but the proof is in how it holds up in the weeks before Mario (since presumably that will be the dominant factor in sales after that point).

A slight correction here, they forecasted shipping 9 million within the fiscal year, not in aggregate overall.

So far they're at 460,00 for the first six months.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Nintendo are clearly smoking hard that crack pipe.

Tell me this folks who know. Why at the investors meeting when Iwata spews out this bullshit that other folks in the room don't stand up and call him out on this. Explain this to me. I'd really like to know.

SmokyDave

I argued that it was possible that this year would cross 2012 but that was if the combined effect of MH4 and Pokemon were enough to outlast the combined effect of NSMB2+3DSLL and Animal Crossing fueled holiday, now I don't think it'd be enough. Next week is Animal Crossing week and the 3DS entered full beast mode from there.
Ah, fair enough.

Don't think I didn't notice 'that phrase' you cheeky rascal.

Top Bottom