• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2011 (Nov 28 - Dec 04)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Holiday deals. Ni no Kuni joined the club.

1eadf6f2-s.jpg

718ff8a6-s.jpg

Nintendo doesn't want to make New Legend of Zelda, that is why they haven't done it. they want to make garbage whimsical 3D Zelda with some super cheesy story for 3yos. They didn't want to make NSMB either. NSMB could have been a big-budget game but it wasn't - they put a lot of work into it but not as much attention as they did with Galaxy. why not?

Zelda is an Action/RPG - that is how it started. In another post I actually quoted NOA about this (but since the search has been disabled I can't find it). It appealed to hardcore gamers and new/"casual" gamers. Zelda never had anything to do with puzzles. There are ZERO puzzles in the first two games. Adventure games have puzzles - like Myst, The dig, Mission Critical, etc. That is what they turned Zelda into. they mixed some of the action elements and the Zelda paint in with an NPC-Babel-on, Tutorial Quest, Puzzle game with dumb as hell gimmicks like Trains, boats, Skylofts, etc.. It sucks and it won't sell anymore - this game will not sell over 3 million. BOMB! a 5 year BOMB! And I am so glad because maybe Aonuma will finally get fired, Miyamoto has already been forced into "retirement" and we will finally get what we deserve out of Zelda, Mario(3D Mario also bombed), and Metroid (Also bombed). but its disappointing because I expect a lot from these games, but it isn't there.

All of Nintendo's franchises are bombing because they have veered off into whacky directions with their games that have no basis in the roots of the franchises. Zelda gameplay doesn't get old that you need to mask it in cutscenes and gimmick and simplify everything for morons. Its a wonder they didn't include a how-to DVD with SS.

Because they didn't fit in 8x8 (or whatever) pixel sprites.
Because it was a game that was supposed to feel threatening and dangerous.

Look at this crap... seriously? who are you marketing this too? what are they thinking? What is going through there minds? "what should the enemies look like?" "Holly-shit, f-yeah, that!" This is the epitome of the entire Zelda franchise at this point. The game is like an animated drag-queen contest for toddlers.
images

Yeshua

[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (Nintendo) - 350000
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine/Dark (Level 5) - 150000
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Hardware (SCE) - 100000
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix) - 800000
[PSV] Playstation Vita Hardware (SCE) - 200000
[PSV] Minna no Golf 6 (Hot Shots Golf) (SCE) - 40000
[PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (SCE) - 65000
[PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next (Koei Tecmo) - 35000

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Really, that's all you chose to respond from my post? Why do you pretend to even try when all you end up doing is going on near incomprehensible self serving rants? And no, it only seemed like that to you because you were like 8 years old or whatever. And lol @ including Zelda II now. The whole point of II was to make a game that was fundamentally different to the original Zelda with an almost all new team yet now you pretend they're both under the same principles against every later game, neat.

And um, all of Nintendo's franchises are bombing, what?

Kard8p3

All of Nintendo's franchises are bombing because they have veered off into whacky directions with their games that have no basis in the roots of the franchises. Zelda gameplay doesn't get old that you need to mask it in cutscenes and gimmick and simplify everything for morons. Its a wonder they didn't include a how-to DVD with SS.

]

In what world is this happening? Mario Kart, and Mario 3D Land are doing well. Zelda isn't doing well in Japan but it's been the fastest selling Zelda in the US.

disco

Nintendo doesn't want to make New Legend of Zelda, that is why they haven't done it. they want to make garbage whimsical 3D Zelda with some super cheesy story for 3yos. They didn't want to make NSMB either. NSMB could have been a big-budget game but it wasn't - they put a lot of work into it but not as much attention as they did with Galaxy. why not?

Zelda is an Action/RPG - that is how it started. In another post I actually quoted NOA about this (but since the search has been disabled I can't find it). It appealed to hardcore gamers and new/"casual" gamers. Zelda never had anything to do with puzzles. There are ZERO puzzles in the first two games. Adventure games have puzzles - like Myst, The dig, Mission Critical, etc. That is what they turned Zelda into. they mixed some of the action elements and the Zelda paint in with an NPC-Babel-on, Tutorial Quest, Puzzle game with dumb as hell gimmicks like Trains, boats, Skylofts, etc.. It sucks and it won't sell anymore - this game will not sell over 3 million. BOMB! a 5 year BOMB! And I am so glad because maybe Aonuma will finally get fired, Miyamoto has already been forced into "retirement" and we will finally get what we deserve out of Zelda, Mario(3D Mario also bombed), and Metroid (Also bombed). but its disappointing because I expect a lot from these games, but it isn't there.

Look at this crap... seriously? who are you marketing this too? what are they thinking? What is going through there minds? "what should the enemies look like?" "Holly-shit, f-yeah, that!" This is the epitome of the entire Zelda franchise at this point. The game is like an animated drag-queen contest for toddlers.
images

If this isn't a joke post; you are insane.

EDIT: The technoblins are cool man. Nintendo being quirky is why I've always liked them. I think the technoblins are a nice juxtaposition of the idealised pastoral we see in Zelda; a nod to the fact we are playing these mythical ethereal games on circuit boards and reflective discs. If you were to look at Zelda's prior to Twilight Princess, elements and weapons mostly used primitive technology or magic, in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword we see a deeper engagement with more modern ideas of technology with less of a focus on magic. I think sometimes it works (technoblins) and sometimes it doesn't (Goron mines). I think Nintendo is just trying to more rationally cope with general ideas about science and technology that are ever more present in our lives today (at least through media exposure, the internet and a better general knowledge of materiality) hence shying away from magic, concepts that aren't central to modern rational thought. --- well possibly. Any other ideas about why Nintendo would prefer mechanical process over 'magic'? Sorry for going OT.

In what world is this happening? Mario Kart, and Mario 3D Land are doing well. Zelda isn't doing well in Japan but it's been the fastest selling Zelda in the US.

Mario Kart has remained true to its roots... Mario 3D land is not doing well. It is on target for about 3-4 million. NSMB DS sold almost 30 million. 3D Land is going to perform like all the other 3D marios.

Really, that's all you chose to respond from my post? Why do you pretend to even try when all you end up doing is going on near incomprehensible self serving rants? And no, it only seemed like that to you because you were like 8 years old or whatever. And lol @ including Zelda II now. The whole point of II was to make a game fundamentally different to the original Zelda with an almost all new team yet now you pretend they're both under the same principles against every later game, neat.
Yeah, because you just posted a bunch of one-liners with no context to the quoted comments. The characters were designed to make the gamer fear challenging them and the ability of those characters to damage you backed that up as well. I'm not saying the characters gave people nightmares cause they were 5-8. those games are still hard, they are much more difficult than current zeldas. the first two zeldas were only different in their presentation but not their gameplay as action/rpgs. That remained. that is not there now. the paint is there but the gameplay and specific type of experience is not.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Mario Kart has remained true to its roots... Mario 3D land is not doing well. It is on target for about 3-4 million. NSMB DS sold almost 30 million. 3D Land is going to perform like all the other 3D marios.

You are ready for becoming BurntPork's best friend.

Takao

Banned
Crapcon really over shipped Monster Hunter Poka Poka Ailu Village G if shops are selling it for sub 1000, and 2000 yen.

duckroll

People like RidleyScott and BurntPork breath new life into the Media Create threads. We should not chase them away, but embrace the uniqueness they bring to the threads! :D

Looool.

guek

Banned

3Dland is selling pretty well...

Also, NMSB was released 2 years after the DS launched. 3Dland is within the 3DS's first year. NSMB also sold consistently throughout its lifetime...there's nothing that presently suggests 3Dland wont do the same. It's unlikely that it'll sell as well as NSMB, but you can't possibly think that 25+mil is an attainable goal for any game, even mario, simply by staying "true to its roots." Keep in mind Galaxy sold a little over a million in it's entire lifetime in Japan and 3Dland will probably attain similar numbers by the end of the year. 3Dland is on track to perform much better than Galaxy which sold close to 10mil worldwide. How the heck is that considered doing poorly?

Also, how did you come to the conclusion that 3Dland doesn't stay "true to its roots." What is your rational, cogent argument to support such a claim?

mclem

People like RidleyScott and BurntPork breath new life into the Media Create threads. We should not chase them away, but embrace the uniqueness they bring to the threads! :D

Looool.

I just hope he's played 3D Dot Game Heroes, it does sound like *exactly* what he wants.

qq more

images

Wowwwwww...

Mods, never ban this guy, please. We need amazing entertainment like this in our Media Create threads now.

guek

Banned
where's the rioting? where's the pepper spray? no one has a firearm?

man, what a bomb. people in japan need to learn how to shop.

Predictions

[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (Nintendo) - 415,000
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine/Dark (Level 5) - 147,000
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Hardware (SCE) - 83,000
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix) - 923,000
[PSV] Playstation Vita Hardware (SCE) - 225,000
[PSV] Minna no Golf 6 (Hot Shots Golf) (SCE) - 87,000
[PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (SCE) - 49,000
[PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next (Koei Tecmo) - 68,000

watershed

Banned
So when will we get an idea of how MHTriG is doing? Will we have to wait for weekly reports or will retailers/analysts say something about first day sales?

watershed

Banned
Then what's the point of holding back? They'd still have foot the bill if they don't sell out of that shipment anyway!

They don't want to put too much stock out and have to sell at bargain pricing. A sell out will create demand whereas too many left on the shelf will give the impression of a flop. That's what I think.

NeonZ

It sucks and it won't sell anymore - this game will not sell over 3 million. BOMB! a 5 year BOMB! And I am so glad because maybe Aonuma will finally get fired, Miyamoto has already been forced into "retirement" and we will finally get what we deserve out of Zelda, Mario(3D Mario also bombed), and Metroid (Also bombed). but its disappointing because I expect a lot from these games, but it isn't there.

Zelda is in a very different position from Mario though. There was never a big line of 2d Zelda games following the style of the first game showing its permanent appeal. Also, even though the first game sold the most in Japan, that isn't true for worldwide results. So, there just isn't such a big market that could potentially answer to a Zelda 1 style game compared to standard games.

Even if we look exclusively at Japan, it's clear that Zelda was never as mainstream as Mario if we compare their sales. The lack of a series of titles in the style of the first one with similar sales results, and a big drop off after the "style change", also put into question the idea that there's a big unexplored market wanting to buy Zelda. Even NSMB, in the end, still sold worse than SMB.

Look at Fire Emblem. The first game for the DS followed the gameplay of the first title, dumping most of modern baggage of the series, yet it still failed to sell anywhere close to the original Fire Emblem. Now, it still sold well, IIRC, better than previous handheld entries (in Japan, of course, apparently it wasn't successful worldwide) but that just shows that the audience for some games can just disappear. Personally, I highly doubt there's much of a market for a game like the original Zelda these days.

I think what's hurting recent Zelda games are Nintendo's attempts to make it accessible - huge tutorials and introduction segments don't make a game easier to get into. Now, Skyward Sword was probably flawed from its basic concept in a way - the advanced motion controls make it actually less accessible than standard buttons and so the tutorials were needed for once. However, Zelda really shouldn't continue in that path. Streamline the gameplay, get rid of all the useless "tutorial" baggage and make the gameplay faster. I think that's what Zelda needs. A return to the original game might have a minor positive effect in Japan, but it certainly wouldn't do much worldwide.

They don't want to put too much stock out and have to sell at bargain pricing. A sell out will create demand whereas too many left on the shelf will give the impression of a flop. That's what I think.

Oh yeah, good point. Forgot about what happened to Tri. Here's hoping that's the case!

Top Bottom