• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2011 (Nov 28 - Dec 04)

duckroll

I just felt a weird breeze go by. Like something horrible that could have happened just passed us by. Thank the heavens.

Amazon watch - they have monster hunter available, so either they didn't put all of their allocation up for preorder or they've got more than anticipated

It says it's in stock on Dec. 16.

Oh does it, sorry I don't know japanese and didn't bother to google translate, it just looked like it was sorry again

Yep you're right, I feel like an idiot now, oh well stocks on shelves to bugger up vita launch week, what a surprise lol

matmanx1

[3DS] Nintendo 3DS Hardware (Nintendo) - 260,000
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine/Dark (Level 5) - 125,000
[PS3] PlayStation 3 Hardware (SCE) - 95,000
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix) - 750,000
[PSV] Playstation Vita Hardware (SCE) - 340,000
[PSV] Minna no Golf 6 (Hot Shots Golf) (SCE) - 95,000
[PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (SCE) - 70,000
[PSV] Dynasty Warriors Next (Koei Tecmo) - 35,000

They didn't want to make NSMB either. NSMB could have been a big-budget game but it wasn't - they put a lot of work into it but not as much attention as they did with Galaxy. why not?

Yeah, I like the idea of a AAA 2d Mario game. Better graphics, new worlds, and live instrument musc would be nice. And online play, if possible. I hope it happens some day.

I know where your coming from, bro. Nintendo is trying so hard to convert 2d Mario fans to play 3d Mario. It should be the other way around right? Most 3d Mario fans complained of NSMB's staleness, but some of them love Donkey Kong Country Returns. So why not spice up their biggest series a bit and treat it like it's a...big series?

Iwata: said:
It is a mysterious game. Until now, we’ve talked about 2D Super Mario and 3D Super Mario as if they are separate, but Super Mario 3D Land may put an end to that. Both 2D and 3D Super Mario came about as the result of making games while thinking, “I wonder if we could make something cool by doing something athletic in that kind of world.” I hope this game removes the borders in our brains between 2D and 3D Super Mario. It would be funny if in the future archeologists say, “You know, they used to talk about the two as if they were separate.”

Comments like this infuriate hardcore 2d Mario fans. They don't want to play 3d Mario. They're not the same games. Keep making 2d Super Mario Bros. games --games Nintendo stopped making for how many years? The myth that 2d Mario can't sell in this day and age is over. My 2d Mario friends on the internet are unhappy there game is being treated like a 2nd or 3rd tier game, where as that 3d Mario, despite its much inferior sale numbers, is being pushed hard on them. For a long time 3d Mario acted as though it was proper sequel or a replacement to the old games.

So I believe this is where some of the hostility from you is coming from.

Oh, and there is that tech demo of New Super Mario Bros. Mii. I don't care about having Mii's playable, but I have to concur with your faction that a starring role for Mii's do not belong in the Mushroom Kingdom lore. If they made a game called Super Mario Galaxy Mii with Mii's as your tag along buddy, everyone will understand the idea is bad and should be scrapped. Super Mario Bros. 3 is an example of 2d Mario expanding the Mushroom kingdom with Kings of each land and a Princess that I guess ruled over all of them and an evil Koopa king causing havoc. These content elements shouldn't be exclusive to Mario RPGs today. Mii's should be unlockable bonus characters at best.

Ridley said:
Zelda is an Action/RPG - that is how it started. In another post I actually quoted NOA about this (but since the search has been disabled I can't find it). It appealed to hardcore gamers and new/"casual" gamers. Zelda never had anything to do with puzzles. There are ZERO puzzles in the first two games.

Everytime you hear the Zelda chime, you know Nintendo considers that a puzzle (though all you did was really discover a secret). True, the old Zelda games are really just far different than say Skyward Sword. Alltp was that middle ground, with lite puzzle solving elements and intense combat situations and challenging boss fights and took some good reflexes. But yeah, Alltp wasn't as dangerous as the first was. I would most welcome a revisit to the concept that made the original Zelda: lite story, get your sword in 15 seconds, open hostile world, hard hostile dungeons. In fact, wasn't the original Zelda beatable without the bommerang and all those other items? Kinda like the raccoon suit and stars from Super Mario Bros., they're there to make your adventure easier, but not totally required. I'm sure the original Zelda could be modernized for today's audience with pretty graphics, better controls, optional super guides, maps, and all that jazz. It'd be interesting to see how that would sell in Japan today. Maybe they'd have to make Link a real nice lookin pretty boy like Cloud from FF7 or something though. I'm just kidding. ;)

And I am so glad because maybe Aonuma will finally get fired, Miyamoto has already been forced into "retirement" and we will finally get what we deserve out of Zelda, Mario(3D Mario also bombed), and Metroid (Also bombed). but its disappointing because I expect a lot from these games, but it isn't there.

lol. Anouma won't get fired. 3d Mario didn't bomb. Gust would love to sell what 3d Mario sells. I know the hostility comes from 2d Mario's stale treament and I'm with you there. In comparison sure, 2d Mario>>>>3d Mario sales, all over the world. Metroid...well I think Other M did better than some of the Primes in Japan, but yeah with all that VAing and FMV's and the lame story, I think that will sting the franchise for some time.

Look at this crap... seriously? who are you marketing this too? what are they thinking? What is going through there minds? "what should the enemies look like?" "Holly-shit, f-yeah, that!" This is the epitome of the entire Zelda franchise at this point. The game is like an animated drag-queen contest for toddlers.
images

B-but isn't he adorable. Rook at dat belly belly. *poke poke poke*

I did totally love last dungeon in Skyward Sword though. And the second last boss fight. :D

Anyway, Monhun, FFXIII-2, Vita all coming up. This will be interesting.

cvxfreak

Is there any text to be translated along with that? Not that I can do it but someone could.

About 200 people were lined up at the Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku prior to opening. Numbers of people began increasing as the trains started running for the day. Special Pack bundle sold out in 15 minutes. Other SKUs still in stock.

Bic Camera nearby opened an hour early and about 80 people were lined up.

Definitely not MHP3 numbers, but those were pretty legendary.

Cipherr

Mario Kart has remained true to its roots... Mario 3D land is not doing well. It is on target for about 3-4 million. NSMB DS sold almost 30 million. 3D Land is going to perform like all the other 3D marios.

3 - 4 million is well more than 'well' friend.

watershed

Banned
About 200 people were lined up at the Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku prior to opening. Numbers of people began increasing as the trains started running for the day. Special Pack bundle sold out in 15 minutes.

Bic Camera nearby opened an hour early and about 80 people were lined up.

Definitely not MHP3 numbers, but those were pretty legendary.

Cool, thanks. IIRC Capcom shipped 20,000 hardware bundles so I'm guessing those will be sold out for sure. Hopefully we get some full sales estimates by the end of the day in Japan.

What happends if there are three friends that only own a Vita and one that owns a 3DS, and all are interested in playing MH? Then the 3 friends with Vita are "forced" to buy a 3DS.

Er, right. That's the point. In a meaningful sense, the difference is between a problem people can fix and a problem people can't. If your friends own 3DSes, and MH4 comes out for it, you're excluded. The solution is to buy a 3DS -- which you can (theoretically) feel good about, because now you own the platform, you can play its exclusive games, etc. You had to spend more money but none of it was wasted.

Contrariwise, if you all own a Vita and a 3DS, and your friends all buy MH4 for 3DS and you buy it for Vita, you're screwed. There's no solution here (if you opened your game already) except to throw it in the trash and go buy the same game again. (Or, probably, you just get cranky and tell your friends to suck it and get left out, or maybe everyone stops playing because it's not as much fun without everyone participating -- all bad ends for Capcom.)

There's really not a lot of wiggle room here. It's straight-up nonfunctional for a franchise like this to go multiplatform on an individual title unless there's cross-platform play.

I see MH going multiplatform more as a way to expand and make things easier rather than being hindered by coordination problems. I see the arguement, but it has been like this with PS3 and Xbox 360 for 5 years now, yet it seems to be no big problem.

It's not the same at all. You're comparing two things that aren't similar to each other and drawing an incorrect conclusion as a result. Again, online play is, moreso than anything else, a tool for playing with strangers or acquaintances (and maybe making them into friends) as a way of engaging in multiplayer when your friends aren't available. By definition, people can still always find others to play with in a popular game even if 100% of their friends bought on a different system; that's simply not true for a game like MH.

onipex

RE: New Legend of Zelda -- why do you think Nintendo has yet to resort to this? They obviously didn't have a problem doing it with Mario, so why have they been shy about doing it with Zelda? The series obviously needs a reboot of sorts, and taking it back to its roots -- gameplay-wise and graphics-wise, a la NSMBW -- could be one way of achieving that. It confuses me to no end...

Could be because TP was one of the highest selling console Zelda games so Nintendo is just sticking to what they are doing with the series.

ElFly

What happends if there are three friends that only own a Vita and one that owns a 3DS, and all are interested in playing MH? Then the 3 friends with Vita are "forced" to buy a 3DS. People need to adapt to the platform regardless if there is an exclusive game on it that they want to play. It can kinda suck to have to buy a whole platform if you're only interested in one game on it (generally speaking, not specifically referring to the 3DS). This problem is somewhat eliminated if the game is multiplatform.

There are no "friends" that own a vita right now. If anyone wants the new monster hunter games, they'll get a 3ds.

Even if the MH fanbase of the 3DS in japan never matches the PSP's, Capcom may be betting on putting their games on a platform that actually sells overseas. The PSP was a dead end for many a japanese game, that lured them with big numbers on the islands, but was completely dead outside. That effect was a big cause of japanese games giving up their dominance on the consoles.

Patapwn

There are no "friends" that own a vita right now. If anyone wants the new monster hunter games, they'll get a 3ds.

Even if the MH fanbase of the 3DS in japan never matches the PSP's, Capcom may be betting on putting their games on a platform that actually sells overseas. The PSP was a dead end for many a japanese game, that lured them with big numbers on the islands, but was completely dead outside. That effect was a big cause of japanese games giving up their dominance on the consoles.

That's exactly why capcom should just make MH apple exclusive!

Top Bottom