• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2011 (Nov 28 - Dec 04)

test_account

XP-39C²
Er, right. That's the point. In a meaningful sense, the difference is between a problem people can fix and a problem people can't. If your friends own 3DSes, and MH4 comes out for it, you're excluded. The solution is to buy a 3DS -- which you can (theoretically) feel good about, because now you own the platform, you can play its exclusive games, etc. You had to spend more money but none of it was wasted.

Contrariwise, if you all own a Vita and a 3DS, and your friends all buy MH4 for 3DS and you buy it for Vita, you're screwed. There's no solution here (if you opened your game already) except to throw it in the trash and go buy the same game again. (Or, probably, you just get cranky and tell your friends to suck it and get left out, or maybe everyone stops playing because it's not as much fun without everyone participating -- all bad ends for Capcom.)

There's really not a lot of wiggle room here. It's straight-up nonfunctional for a franchise like this to go multiplatform on an individual title unless there's cross-platform play.
If you (generally speaking) play a lot with your friends, i think that you can be able to coordinate with your friends which version to get in advance. That is why i see the coordination stuff as a very small problem, if a problem at all. I see the arguement, and sure, there is possible for confusion there when it excist for two platforms, but in the big picture i dont think it is a problem.

By the way, i'm pretty sure that many people enjoy MH as a single player game only as well. Compared to CoD games, i dont think that all 15-20 million people who buys it play online with others.

It's not the same at all. You're comparing two things that aren't similar to each other and drawing an incorrect conclusion as a result. Again, online play is, moreso than anything else, a tool for playing with strangers or acquaintances (and maybe making them into friends) as a way of engaging in multiplayer when your friends aren't available. By definition, people can still always find others to play with in a popular game even if 100% of their friends bought on a different system; that's simply not true for a game like MH.
I should be more clear, sorry. I'm only referring to playing with friends online. Then you need the same system because there are no cross-platforming game between PS3 and Xbox 360. This require coordination as well, regardless if it is online or offline, so you're facing the same issue here. And from what i know, this situation have been no problem PS3 and Xbox 360.

But sure, it is much easier to play against random people online compared to offline, but that wasnt my arguement here, i'm just talking if you want to play with friends :) And that is very well a real situation even for online play. I'm sure you've seen the "buy the same platform as your friends have if you want to play online with them" reason given when people have made threads asking if they should buy a PS3 or a Xbox 360.

extralite

Holiday deals. Ni no Kuni joined the club.

1eadf6f2-s.jpg

They're selling it for this price only today though... Do you know which store it is? According to this post the store just opened today and it's part of their shop opening bargain campaign. Doesn't say where the store is located though. Too late to go grab it anyway...

noobie

Banned
02./00. [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.12.01} (¥8.380) - 349.756 / NEW

How much did earlier version in Gundam series sold? sorry if someone posted it earlier.. but i didnt see it..

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Capcom probably isn't too crushed- to the best of my knowledge, this isn't a RPG where the used market will eat up all the sales after the first week. Still seems like a missed opportunity to an extent.

Capcom probably isn't too crushed- to the best of my knowledge, this isn't a RPG where the used market will eat up all the sales after the first week. Still seems like a missed opportunity to an extent.
We said the same for FFIII back when and that shipped over a million eventually. If demand is there it will still do as well as it can.

Unlike 2D Mario, 2D Zelda doesn't out sell it. 2D Mario sells 4-6 million in Japan compared to 3D Mario which sells around a million(plus or minus a few 100K). With 3D Zelda, it is the highest selling entries. I believe OoT and PH are the top 2 highest selling Zelda games. Although, I believe Zelda, Zelda 2 and ALttP have insufficient data to go by. However, more recent 2D Zelda efforts haven't gone over that well.

3D Zelda (TP and OoT) sold more because they had more exposure in Europe and were sold in other regions. NES Zelda outsold OoT everywhere except Europe. Europe's sales for OoT were double LoZ sales. The 3D sales really aren't that great compared to the previous 2D iterations when you take into consideration all the factors. The larger market, chip shortages for Zelda II (we really don't know how well that would have sold), general perception of video games in the early 80s following the game crash, 3D novelty and lack of competition for OoT, etc. If the numbers were drastically different then these factors would be irrelevant but they aren't - Mario numbers are, they are anywhere from 3-5 times more. With mario and mario kart, you had hoards of new gamers buying and old-school fans buying, so these numbers add-up. With Zelda and Metroid and 3D Mario, you basically have the younger fans and the older really hardcore fans buying, but not large percentage of completely new gamers and old-school gamers who had played the initial iterations. The goal is to continually build the fan-base, not maintain the same level of sales.

More recent 2D Zeldas haven't gone over well because they suck.

Besides, A New Legend of Zelda doesn't have to be in strictly 2D, it just has to be grounded in the principles of the first and/or second entry - if we are talking about an entry that mixed the two concepts as I suggested earlier. I don't think 2D mario gameplay can necessarily be translated to 3D effectively, I don't think the same about Zelda.

BurntPork

Banned
It begins.

Only people who pre-ordered can pick up the game at Yodobashi Akiba now.

They are taking pre-orders for a Dec. 15 restock... Damnit Capcom, you lowballed.

Well, that killed most predictions.

Now I see why Takao put the "con" part in the name.

Takao

Banned
This thread is too big, but I'm guessing Idataki Street Wii megabomba-ed? 2900 Yen a week after release isn't good, given that's 50% off the MSRP!

Takao

Banned
Likely.
The Wii market is kind of toxic right now.

Only "right now"? Haha... :(

But from what I know Idataki Street is kind of like a money based Mario Party. That should've had expanded audience appeal or something. I never would've guessed a game starring Mario and Dragon Quest characters would've mega bombed like that.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Itadaki Street Wii was the only Wii game I thought would not underperform this December but it seems the strong competition from the other party games on the system has left it behind.

IE 400K shipment? I guess they are going the way from hero to zero pretty fast

They should cancel the Wii version of DQX.
They kind of perform differently, MMO games I mean. I believe they will be able to bridge the two versions pretty smoothly even if Wii version underperforms

Takao

Banned
Umm, yes? It's not like it's the first DQ or Mario spin off type thing, others in the past did pretty good.

He said the Wii market in general. It being a less than healthy field isn't a new thing. The expanded audience machine should've worked with Itadaki, but it's obviously not if it's getting 50% price slashes a week after release.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
He said the Wii market in general.
Yes, I know, that's what I also commented on. The ever present "unhealthy" (rather than "toxic") part was a lack of productions, not bombs of what did arrive (which occur more often the closer to its end the system is), especially when discussing brands like DQ and Mario, including their spin offs (swords, battle road victory, whatever else).

As for DQX, I'd say Square has to worry more about its actual development than the platforms, unless Wii U is a monumental disaster (like a hardware take on FFXIV)...

BurntPork

Banned
No need.
It's just beta testing for the Wii U version anyway.

I think it would be better as a Wii U exclusive, though. Wii is deader than dead in Japan, and a Wii MMO is just silly. It's just a waste to put anything on Wii.

Though, honestly, PS3 would be best for for it right now. :S

He said the Wii market in general. It being a less than healthy field isn't a new thing. The expanded audience machine should've worked with Itadaki, but it's obviously not if it's getting 50% price slashes a week after release.
DQX doesn't need the expanded market effect though.

Likely.
The Wii market is kind of toxic right now.

The Wii could sell strongly into the mid decade if companies would just make good games for it (games in the vein of the NSMB, Mario Kart, wii sports - think NES/SNES style games, not necessarily just 2D, but gameplay oriented games rather than creative fluff). I don't mean crappy waggle party games.

Wii sports sold really well. Why were there no RBI baseball type games for Wii? No tecmoBowl-like games for Wii? etc.? Wii was a giant missed opportunity for the videogames industry. Nintendo is also guilty as well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
DQX is going to under-perform. No one wants to play an mmorpg DQ game.
Under-perform by DQ standards, definitely, just like FFXI did by FF standards in raw numbers on multiple platforms, but if it's a well developed game of its kind and Wii U isn't a flop (in which case they could also put out a PC version if the actual game's worthwhile) it could be well worth the investment Square did. We already know single player DQ is next in order but still, FFXI was probably worth it too since they decided to give that another shot (and failed so hard), I don't imagine they actually expect DQX to suddenly light the charts on fire going through the same transformation... Just hope it's an actually decent MMORPG.

Takao

Banned
I actually looked it up. Itadaki Street Wii is the worst debut in the franchise's history. Even the prior to MH-explosion PSP port of the PS2 title had a better first week.

I wasn't talking about DQX since it is a mass market title like Monster Hunter, but on a platform that has been well groomed. DQX is going to have it's own problems to deal with.
Sure, but by 2012, I am not sure if any console beside 3DS won't have its share of problems. Also, putting it on PS3 needs at least some insurance about PS4 performing better than PS3. Putting it on Wii to say the least will be a cheap test bed for infra-structure, balance feedback, etc. Definitely better than FF 14 disaster

Alrus

Has Kirby hit the bomba bin, or are its sales just the natural course?

Kirby always grows during december. Check Epic Yarn last year, it did the same thing.

By the way, I don't see IE Go bombing like most of you seems to... I'm sure it'll do fine, even if it clearly won't reach the success of IE2 and 3.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
400k first shipment for IE Go are good.
And the game will obtain to finish it during its second week, I believe.

Top Bottom