• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2011 (Dec 05 - Dec 11)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Based on its multi-platform strategy, Capcom will continue to perform research involving new types of hardware in order to maximize earnings. Through these activities, Capcom aims to supply games that can achieve a high degree of satisfaction among a diverse spectrum of users around the world.

Multi-platform
around the world

can we start calling :

MH3G US with 8-4 at the helm
and
MH4thP for Vita ?

Go on go on go on go on go on go on.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DCharlie's right.

Monster Hunter is coming to a new platform.

Press Release
Capcom Co., Ltd.
GREE, Inc.

Capcom and GREE to Start Distributing
the New "Monhan Tankenki Maboroshi no Shima"
- Using a popular game series to create a social game for
smartphones and feature phones -

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) and GREE, Inc. (GREE) are pleased to announce that we have decided to start distributing by the end of 2011 a new social game based on "Monster Hunter" for the social networking service (SNS) GREE.

The market for mobile games has been expanding rapidly along with the explosive growth in the use of smartphones and the accompanying increase in content for these phones. In June 2011, Capcom and GREE started distributing a social game called "Resident Evil: Outbreak Survive". With more than one million registered users, this game has been very successful.

Capcom and GREE have agreed to distribute a social game using SNS GREE that is based on the popular "Monster Hunter" series of games, which have sold 19 million units (as of September 30, 2011). The aim is to achieve more growth in the social game market by attracting customers from a broad array of user segments for home video games and mobile games.

"Monhan Tankenki Maboroshi no Shima" is a social game based on the characters that appear in "Monster Hunter Frontier Online". Players explore the island in order to acquire and raise monsters. During the exploration, players will confront many types of monsters. The game incorporates many elements that are unique to the social game format. For example, players can exchange items and cooperate with other players in order to go up against enormous monsters. Overall, the new game is capable of providing enjoyment to a diverse spectrum of users. Capcom and GREE plan to release smartphone and feature phone versions of this game at the same time.

Capcom and GREE will continue to increase their collaboration for the development and distribution of social games with the goal of creating new games that can contribute to more growth of the social game market.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e111111.html

111111a.jpg
111111b.jpg

Mrbob

Multi-platform
around the world

can we start calling :

and
MH4thP for Vita ?

Makes sense to me. Vita's extra social networking features over the 3DS make it the perfect platform to evolve Monster Hunter.

Erethian

Wasn't sure whether the "around the world" bit was in earlier press releases, but I guess it was. Here is the blurb at the bottom of the MH Tri Wii press release.

As always, we at Capcom will continue to strive to develop new and original games that appeal to a broad audience around the world while expanding our properties for multiple platforms. We believe that by bringing the "Monster Hunter" series to multiple platforms, it will help the franchise reach an even greater number of users eager for its unique gameplay.

DCharlie

You do realize that such a line is in pretty much every single MH press release ever?

yes, *I* do

i'm not sure the people who think Monster Hunter has gone Nintendo exclusive have noted it yet.

DCharlie

...you are aware that MHP3 wasn't a port of MH3, right?

yes.

i didn't know the 3ds was nintendo's only platform

you guys really think Capcom aren't looking to stick Monster Hunter on whatever they can?

Hang on, we've had this conversation before - let's just agree to disagree all over again and see what happens.

Instro

yes, *I* do

i'm not sure the people who think Monster Hunter has gone Nintendo exclusive have noted it yet.

Exclusive? Unlikely. However I really doubt that MH3G or MH4 will be getting ported. Presumably Vita would just continue with the portable series, unless Nintendo has money hatted the series completely

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
yes.

you guys really think Capcom aren't looking to stick Monster Hunter on whatever they can?

Hang on, we've had this conversation before - let's just agree to disagree all over again and see what happens.
Nobody's saying they're not gonna put it on other platforms (since it already is on other platforms, duh), just that the statements in the PR don't mean much at all because they've been the same for years and that didn't stop the primary and primarily popular versions from benefiting certain hardware over others. It's one thing to say it's possible that it will land on Vita as well, which everyone is open to, and a whole other thing to cling on a statement like that and pretend it's for granted that we'll see 3G or MonHun4 or another equally important title on Vita day and date or in any other way that will stop the 3DS from enjoying major boosts in popularity from whatever title and/or time based exclusivity there is, as currently there is for whatever reasons since 3DS is the only post-PSP portable with announced/released proper MonHun entries.

jeremy1456

I don't doubt that one day MH4 will be ported to the Vita.

On the other hand, I think it will occur after the release of the 3DS version and will therefore hold little meaning for the platform (Vita) in regards to sales.

EDIT: Then again, I really wouldn't be terribly surprised if it stayed exclusive to the 3DS.

Makes sense to me. Vita's extra social networking features over the 3DS make it the perfect platform to evolve Monster Hunter.

Multi-platform
around the world

can we start calling :

and
MH4thP for Vita ?

This has been pointed out before, that, this paragraph is a general Capcom's strategy and is in all of their PRs, it was in Tri's and well.
Means, it doesn't mean anything particular at all.

What does this mean?
means, it won't effect Vita's sale in a meaningful way!

DCharlie

It's one thing to say it's possible that it will land on Vita as well and a whole other thing to cling on a statement like that and pretend it's for granted that we'll See 3G or MonHun4

i don't think the VITA or PSP will see either of those.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just don't like selective quoting, your last post basically served no purpose as a reply to me since I didn't imply you do think the part you quoted. So I did the same.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Woah. They were ready to ship one million copy for the entire Holidays...and now they shipped even more earlier. Anticipating 250-300k this week.

DCCHARLIE OWNED

Not French, since he'll ALWAYS find even the meanest way to criticize. It's a bit invincible on this.

DCharlie

Just don't like selective quoting, your last post basically served no purpose as a reply to me since I didn't imply you do think the part you quoted. So I did the same.

yeah that's a fair point - i did skip past the rest of the point.

I don't think there's particularly much disagreement at the core of it. I think most people would be extremely surprised if Monster Hunter isn't going to go to as many platforms as it can as Capcom's obvious premier title and , ultimately, the statement doesn't actually mean anything to anyone (outside those who think MH is now "a nintendo only franchise")

Woah. They were ready to ship one million copy for the entire Holidays...and now they shipped even more earlier. Anticipating 250-300k this week.

DCCHARLIE OWNED

well, i'm pretty sure from seeing on the ground that it's going to top around 280-300k this week so i'm more than happy to be wrong. It was a reasoned argument - dodgy reasoning as it turns out - but not something that was outside the realms of possibility.

spwolf

On the other hand, I think it will occur after the release of the 3DS version and will therefore hold little meaning for the platform (Vita) in regards to sales.

you mean like psp port sold so poorly on 3DS? interesting, i thought 3DS numbers meant it was a smash hit, but i guess i am wrong.

DCharlie

I'm still with DCharlie on this, totally expecting sub 200k for MH this week.

at just under 200k that's still going to put the running total at close to 700k.

Given the level of stock, there's no way that it's not going over 800k. The other crux of the theory is that Capcom would be cautious and have smaller batches of games (say 100k runs) so they could stimie any losses if demand dried up but that's clearly not happened and -no matter what- MH3G is going to sell over 800k. It's guaranteed.

tool + net (75%) - success!
item set
G-bombs ready
cats recalled

What? Was he trolling about Monster Hunter? That thought crossed my mind especially given what he quoted, but I thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt because, I don't know, there might have been some crazy PSP port I didn't know about. Shame on me, I guess. I probably shouldn't assume anyone posting on the Internet is a Gumpesque well-meaning simpleton, especially in this inescapable pit of cynicism.

In a totally unrelated manner, I am now looking forward to you being brutally wrong about MH.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
About Vita sales:
Media Create CEO Atsushi Hosokawa provided some commentary on the initial performance. "The shipment was abundant, so it seems that there were hardly any reports of inability to buy due to shortages. Regarding sold units, to be honest we would like to have seen it sell a bit more, but you can say that it reached a certain level of success."

Hosokawa blamed the relatively slow start on price, noting that when you include a game and required accessories, the system ends up costing 40,000 yen. He also noted that the system did not have a system seller at launch.

One other factor could be holding back the Vita: its predecessor, the PSP. Sony sold 60,000 units of the aging hardware this past week, Hosokawa said.

Yamauchi

Banned
That about sums it up. Not a flop, but partly below what many were expecting. For Media Create and its customers, that also implies broader weakness in the Japanese game industry this year, which is not a good sign considering the weakness in many other industries this quarter.

Kenka

I wonder if DC and French get some hints at the sales via VG**artzzz.

Somebody should explain to them that ioi's website is full if crap and that they make up numbers.

mutsu

That about sums it up. Not a flop, but partly below what many were expecting. For Media Create and its customers, that also implies broader weakness in the Japanese game industry this year, which is not a good sign considering the weakness in many other industries this quarter.

People only have so much money to spend on gaming which is definitely not a necessity in people's lives. Given the choice of Vita with no killer title and the choice of 3DS with killer titles, people have voted with their wallet.

Though by no means is Vita a flop, you cannot certainly say it is one at this early stage (true for all consoles really). Look at the PSP, everyone thought there was no life left in it a 1-2 years in but look at where it is now.

Yamauchi

Banned
Though by no means is Vita a flop, you cannot certainly say it is one at this early stage (true for all consoles really). Look at the PSP, everyone thought there was no life left in it a 1-2 years in but look at where it is now.
I fully agree with you on this point. Not a bad launch, anyway.

LOCK

Hardware will be up this year in Japan if I'm not mistaken. Only software is under performing and that is mainly due to hardly no multi-million sellers throughout the year compared to previous years.

This holiday has set the gaming industry on fire in Japan.

Grimmy

Banned

The Wifi one is sold out in a number of places, including Amazon. Means Sony definitely undershipped the Wifi-only version and overshipped the 3G version. This could also be a contributing factor as stores have more stock of the 3G version.

I'm surprised DCharlie hasn't buried his head in the sand by now after the cockyness that is 800k, ahahahha. 500k~ launch week followed by insane drops from a series like MH shows just how stubborn he is, and not in a good way. DCharlie you need to learn a bit of humility, learn when to take the loss and just shut up. It doesn't take much.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if SE doesn't give the 3DS something mainline-ish, FF15 is a bit of stretch, but if it did happen I wouldn't be surprised. DQ12 is definitely going to be on the 3DS.

1 million units shipment for Monster Hunter is absolutely in line with the period it saw the release.
Remember that we still have 3 weeks where sales are higher (the next one untile the beginning of January), and where games don't drop a lot or the sell quite steadily. Even if Monster Hunter 3G will be at just 200k copies this week, next weeks could easily sell a similar amount (let's say 150k 130k) and the shipment is easily reached in a very few time.

watershed

Banned
I'm surprised DCharlie hasn't buried his head in the sand by now after the cockyness that is 800k, ahahahha. 500k~ launch week followed by insane drops from a series like MH shows just how stubborn he is, and not in a good way. DCharlie you need to learn a bit of humility, learn when to take the loss and just shut up. It doesn't take much.

Anyway, I'd be surprised if SE doesn't give the 3DS something mainline-ish, FF15 is a bit of stretch, but if it did happen I wouldn't be surprised. DQ12 is definitely going to be on the 3DS.

Do you mean DQ XI? I think its way too early to be saying this if so. SE is focusing on making DQ X at the moment and will probably give the market a good long look before deciding the platform for XI. The 3ds is doing very well but it is being propelled by 3 heavy hitters (mario, kart, MH). The vita could sky rocket and the 3ds could tumble before SE makes any decisions about where the next mainline DQ game will end up unless Nintendo has a deal for all future entries in the series.

Top Bottom