• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2011 (Dec 05 - Dec 11)

Truth101

Banned
Do you mean DQ XI? I think its way too early to be saying this if so. SE is focusing on making DQ X at the moment and will probably give the market a good long look before deciding the platform for XI. The 3ds is doing very well but it is being propelled by 3 heavy hitters (mario, kart, MH). The vita could sky rocket and the 3ds could tumble before SE makes any decisions about where the next mainline DQ game will end up unless Nintendo has a deal for all future entries in the series.
SE is already preparing the 3DS DQXI

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'm surprised DCharlie hasn't buried his head in the sand by now after the cockyness that is 800k, ahahahha. 500k~ launch week followed by insane drops from a series like MH shows just how stubborn he is, and not in a good way. DCharlie you need to learn a bit of humility, learn when to take the loss and just shut up. It doesn't take much.

Lol, what planet are you on? I made a reasoned prediction of a short fall in sales then backed it up with some bravado.

I'm not burrying my head because theres frankly no need to. I was wrong... And?!?

"take the loss" lol jesus christ. Get a grip

What? Was he trolling about Monster Hunter? That thought crossed my mind especially given what he quoted, but I thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt because, I don't know, there might have been some crazy PSP port I didn't know about. Shame on me, I guess. I probably shouldn't assume anyone posting on the Internet is a Gumpesque well-meaning simpleton, especially in this inescapable pit of cynicism.

No - i was saying that he maybe thought MH was a PSP port :)

In a totally unrelated manner, I am now looking forward to you being brutally wrong about MH.

Good for you! :)

Do you mean DQ XI? I think its way too early to be saying this if so. SE is focusing on making DQ X at the moment and will probably give the market a good long look before deciding the platform for XI. The 3ds is doing very well but it is being propelled by 3 heavy hitters (mario, kart, MH). The vita could sky rocket and the 3ds could tumble before SE makes any decisions about where the next mainline DQ game will end up unless Nintendo has a deal for all future entries in the series.
Oh crap yes 11. Third parties saw what happen with the DS and Wii, they failed to capitalize because they were so slow to react and the whole underpowered hardware issue. There's no excuse this time around, of course there's always the chance of a game that will explode on the VITA, and make it toe to toe against the 3DS but thats pot luck. I think the support shown by third parties at this early stage in the 3DS' life tells us that third parties have already chosen their platform for Japan. FF is a bit icky since it relies on western sales too, but for DQ, that's Japan's baby, and the 3DS is the mother already.

Lol, what planet are you on? I made a reasoned prediction of a short fall in sales then backed it up with some bravado.

I'm not burrying my head because theres frankly no need to. I was wrong... And?!?

You shouldn't make predictions and act like they're going to come true and being cocky about it when you don't know what the hell you're talking about. You don't continue to be stubborn about your prediction after we got first week sales, continuing to do so just makes you look like a fool, on top of that your predictions are as reasonable as BurntPork's mind on a good day.

<3 BurntPork.

watershed

Banned
I meant preparing the 3DS for DQXI.

1. DQ Slimes.
2. DQ Monster/Joker.
3. Rumored DQVIIr
4. Your guess at what would go here
I thought about that too but the investment SE has made at this point in the 3ds seems minimal in terms of resources. Both the confirmed titles you listed seem to be upgraded ds games or at least they look that way. I think the 3ds is most likely to get the next DQ game but things can change. DQ will go on the platform with the largest install base and that race is just getting started.

jeremy1456

Yeah some people take things a little too seriously.

Never lose the bravado DCharlie. I am awaiting your prediction for MH4.

DCharlie

going to come true and being cocky about it when you don't know what the hell you're talking about. You don't continue to be stubborn about your prediction after we got first week sales, continuing to do so just makes you look like a fool, on top of that your predictions are as reasonable as BurntPork's mind on a good day.

You're not my Dad! <runs to room, slams door>

You know there was (and still isn't) anything particularly bad about the logic i adopted and pretty much most people could see where i was coming from even if they didn't agree.

I've no idea where you are going with this though. But please be my guest
Never lose the bravado DCharlie. I am awaiting your prediction for MH4

2.3 million in two days - AS LONG as MH4th is not announced for PSP.

jeremy1456

I thought about that too but the investment SE has made at this point in the 3ds seems minimal in terms of resources. Both the confirmed titles you listed seem to be upgraded ds games or at least they look that way. I think the 3ds is most likely to get the next DQ game but things can change. DQ will go on the platform with the largest install base and that race is just getting started.

Didn't the Saturn have a bigger install base than both the N64 and Playstation when DQVII was announced first for the N64, and then for the Playstation?

I know that it was said in the past that they would, but I have my doubts that 'largest install base' is their only criteria in selecting a platform. I actually kind of doubt that a mainline Dragon Quest game will even be released for another handheld.

EDIT: My point is that SE has made it pretty clear that Nintendo platforms are where Dragon Quest is going.

Beth Cyra

Didn't the Saturn have a bigger install base than both the N64 and Playstation when DQVII was announced first for the N64, and then for the Playstation?

I know that it was said in the past that they would, but I have my doubts that 'largest install base' is their only criteria in selecting a platform. I actually kind of doubt that a mainline Dragon Quest game will even be released for another handheld.

What would make you even come to this conclusion? Dragon Quest IX is the best performing Dragon Quest yet, and a probably no small part is becaues of the platform that it ended up on.

You're not my Dad! <runs to room, slams door>

You know there was (and still isn't) anything particularly bad about the logic i adopted and pretty much most people could see where i was coming from even if they didn't agree.

I've no idea where you are going with this though. But please be my guest
What's so logical about a 500k first week then an insane drop to a LTD of 800k with MH on a handheld that is taking off during the holidays? MH3 did more and that was on the Wii. Anyway I think reading all your post while I was banned and unable to reply the whole time got to me and so kind of overreacted.

I apologize and look forward to your future predictions.

jeremy1456

What would make you even come to this conclusion? Dragon Quest IX is the best performing Dragon Quest yet, and a probably no small part is becaues of the platform that it ended up on.

I know it's the best performing in the series. Call it an irrational feeling I have.

Truth101

Banned
Oh, I know what you mean but SE is establishing the DQ franchise on the 3DS as of now.

While DQ slime was a port of a DS game in the making, I think, DQ: TW seems to be a full fledged remake with a ton of added content.

Also the DS remakes of DQ games were not technical marvels by any means.

The Wii also recieved a similar treatment in regards to DQ.

watershed

Banned

I don't know about the saturn part. I'm sure install base isn't the only consideration. Budget and nintendo moneyhats probably play a part as well.

But why do you doubt another mainline handheld title? DQ9 was wildly successful. I could see DQ11 on the 3ds or on the vita and maybe even multiplat between the vita and the ps4 which will be probably be out by then.

DCharlie

What's so logical about a 500k first week then an insane drop to a LTD of 800k with MH on a handheld that is taking off during the holidays? MH3 did more and that was on the Wii. Anyway I think reading all your post while I was banned and unable to reply the whole time got to me and so kind of overreacted.

Well my prediction was 300k first week on a cautious first pressing so i'd fell at the first hurdle on that one ;) the rest revolves around further small pressings to avoid a repeat of Tri sales - however the tactic looks to have been tow chunks of 500k so got it totally wrong.

The other part was that i expected mass indifference outside the ultrahardcore Psp players - again looks to be wrong

I apologize and look forward to your future predictions

I'm sure i can talk a load of nonsense and be wrong again , no worries. No sweat mate, it's all good and i don't want this to become some "monster hunter/3ds hate" thing when nothing could be further from the truth

jeremy1456

I don't know about the saturn part. I'm sure install base isn't the only consideration. Budget and nintendo moneyhats probably play a part as well.

But why do you doubt another mainline handheld title? DQ9 was wildly successful. I could see DQ11 on the 3ds or on the vita and maybe even multiplat between the vita and the ps4 which will be probably be out by then.

I think SE also likes the way Nintendo markets things, and the fact that they marketed DQIX. I really would not be surprised if DQX was published by Nintendo, just like IX.

If there was to be another mainline handheld game I'm positive at this point it would be on 3DS. I really don't see Vita getting anything Dragon Quest related, and I'm actually shocked that the "DQIX probably coming to PSP! It makes sense!" line of port begging is already beginning. *sigh

watershed

Banned
I think SE also likes the way Nintendo markets things, and the fact that they marketed DQIX. I really would not be surprised if DQX was published by Nintendo, just like IX.

If there was to be another mainline handheld game I'm positive at this point it would be on 3DS. I really don't see Vita getting anything Dragon Quest related, and I'm actually shocked that the "DQIX probably coming to PSP! It makes sense!" line of port begging is already beginning. *sigh
Eh? No doubt there will be port begging but how is my post a premonition of that? I'm not advocating for DQ11 to be on the vita I'm arguing that it's too early to confidently predict where it will end up even if the 3ds is most likely.

jeremy1456

Eh? No doubt there will be port begging but how is my post a premonition of that? I'm not advocating for DQ11 to be on the vita I'm arguing that it's too early to confidently predict where it will end up even if the 3ds is most likely.

Maybe I was exaggerating, but I was sure by now, especially with all the 3DS DQ games (along with DQX Wii U) that people were pretty confident the games were staying on Nintendo hardware.

watershed

Banned
Maybe I was exaggerating, but I was sure by now, especially with all the 3DS DQ games (along with DQX Wii U) that people were pretty confident the games were staying on Nintendo hardware.
The 3ds DQ games are no doubt SE's opening salvo to move the DQ fanbase to a next gen system but I see DQ X being on the wii u is less that and more making sure their mmo, which will be active for many years, is on a platform that will still be relevant in a few years and designed to handle an online experience which the wii is not. Obviously SE and nintendo are close when it comes to DQ but I don't think anything is set in stone heading into this next generation.

Kenka

I swear I have never EVER waited that much for those numbers to come.

Yesterday, II spent at the very least 5-10% of my time at work checking this thread for news. The result : I ended my work at 9 p.m.

beril

I think as long another platform isn't completely dominating, Dragon Quest will stay on Nintendo platforms. They're games with a broad appeal similiar to Mario and Pokemon so that's likely where the most fitting userbase is, and hardcore fans will get it regardless of platform.

Also I think and hope the next game will be handheld. They're much more comvienient to play that way, I doubt Hori cares much for making super high end HD games, and the series has never been never very cinematic. DQ8 looked nice but the realistic graphics hurt the gameplay. I'd prefer the next game more in the style of the PS2 DQV remake and there is no reason 3DS wouldn't be able to handle either style.

beril

DQ VIII has "realistic" graphics?

psyduck.gif

relatively

it has realistic proportions and realistically sized environments, which means a whole lot more running and slower gameplay in general. And of course it led to the developers wanting to show off their nice animations which means slow battles. Plus the third person camera makes everything a bit more cumbersome than the traditional topdown

At the risk of being "that guy", is it not perhaps a bit below people here to keep on hammering on DCharlie?

He made a bold prediction, he gave his well-thought-out reasons for that and he wasn't rude about it - if he's wrong, he's wrong, but some of the comments about it have been far less than I normally expect from these threads.

Surely well-considered dissenting opinions should be welcomed?

At the risk of being "that guy", is it not perhaps a bit below people here to keep on hammering on DCharlie?

He made a bold prediction, he gave his well-thought-out reasons for that and he wasn't rude about it - if he's wrong, he's wrong, but some of the comments about it have been far less than I normally expect from these threads.

Yes dissenting opinions should be welcomed but bat shit insane ones are rightfully mocked, in the bizare occasions that a bat shit insane opinion ever becomes reality it makes for major crow eating so its all good

ShinNL

The reasons were a bit biased, plus he did hammer his prediction a bit too much. Obviously it would fire back if he was wrong. The agree to disagree arguments was used during the prediction with the attitude "Let's wait and see who's right!" ... his predictions turned out wrong each time, followed with an adjusted prediction with the same "Let's wait and see who's right!". It's getting a bit repetitive, that's why people hammer on him. But he likes MH so he gets a free pass from me. I just wish he was a bit less biased, quite a Vita fan he is (skewing his realistic judgement).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu Sales: Week 51, 2011 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

01./00. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.12.15} (¥7.980)
02./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800)
03./02. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
04./00. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine / Dark <RPG> (Level 5) {2011.12.15} (¥5.800)
05./03. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)
06./07. [WII] Kirby's Return to Dream Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.10.27} (¥5.800)
07./00. [PSV] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational <SPT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2011.12.17} (¥4.980)
08./10. [WII] Just Dance Wii <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.10.13} (¥5.800)
09./00. [PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2011.12.17} (¥5.980)
10./14. [WII] PokePark 2: Beyond the World <ADV> (Pokemon Co.) {2011.11.12} (¥5.800)

Kenka

I almost got Top 5 right.

I know, it was the easiest to predict in ages.
And wow at the Nintendo zombie software invasion.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
HSG and Uncharted in the Top 10. There you have it.

Fuck yes at Kirby's, and holy shit at PokéPark. And people thought it was going to drown after the first few weeks.

Alrus

Guess MH3G second week will be very solid. I kinda expected Mario Kart to beat it.

Also Kirby's rise isn't really surprising, Epic Yarn had the exact same sales curve last year. I'm sure it'll do even better this week.

Top Bottom