• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 5, 2012 (Jan 30 - Feb 05)

The 3DS is proof that Nintendo will never let the GC happen again.

The 3DS kind of has the advantage of not very viable competition.* The Gamecube had a far more popular, already entrenched competing console and another competing console with an infinite money supply.

Next year, the Wii U will have a competing console with an infinite money supply which is the successor to a very popular console and has an inventive hook that threatens to keep users of that predecessor from switching tracks.

It does have the first-mover advantage, though, and it will presumably have a price advantage. Gamecube situation should not happen, but it could still easily emerge in a place other than first.

* from a consumer purchasing perspective. I'm not saying that PSV is a bad system or anything, it's just that the price difference is not justified in the minds of a typical buyer.

AniHawk

psp seems to not be going away. vita sales might be stabilizing. 3ds sales are in a freefall. that thing needs monster hunter 4 now.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The 3DS is proof that Nintendo will never let the GC happen again.

Home and Handheld are very different, historically speaking, for Nintendo.
Where Nintendo really suffered Sony entrance in the market is the home business, where they were able to counter-attack with the smart move of the Wii.

Honestly, speaking about home console I think that both MS and Sony have very powerful weapons to attack Nintendo, especially because of the nature of portable game (in my opinion more Japan-oriented and less graphic-pretending compared to the Home console market)

Wii U will have hard time in blowing the market away as 3DS is doing right now, for many different reasons.

Forever

Banned
Soul Calibur V launching below Revelaitons' second week is actually pretty astounding.

What happened to this franchise?

Andrea

Neo Member
Home and Handheld are very different, historically speaking, for Nintendo.
Where Nintendo really suffered Sony entrance in the market is the home business, where they were able to counter-attack with the smart move of the Wii.

Honestly, speaking about home console I think that both MS and Sony have very powerful weapons to attack Nintendo, especially because of the nature of portable game (in my opinion more Japan-oriented and less graphic-pretending compared to the Home console market)

Wii U will have hard time in blowing the market away as 3DS is doing right now, for many different reasons.
While the Wii U most likely won't have the same effect as the current 3DS trend, it can probably hold its own really well if third-party support is strong. Nintendo's always loved riding the successes of its own games, so strong third-party support will likely be one of the big factors that determines where the console will rank in terms of sales.

I also think that the Wii U may or may not struggle during the first year or two due to the Wii's reputation as a casual machine. I trust that Nintendo will come up with something good, they always manage to surprise us one way or another.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wait, Wii have sold 12 million since its launch in Japan, while PSP has sold 18 million since its launch?

Wii launched in 2006, PSP in 2004; PSP got much better third party support...and Monster Hunter phenom was born on PSP, indeed.

AniHawk

Wait, Wii have sold 12 million since its launch in Japan, while PSP has sold 18 million since its launch?

the psp and the wii had opposite lives, where one was popular at the end, and one was popular at the start.

also, the psp had two years more on the market, was a handheld system, and had third party support.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
While the Wii U most likely won't have the same effect as the current 3DS trend, it can probably hold its own really well if third-party support is strong. Nintendo's always loved riding the successes of its own games, so strong third-party support will likely be one of the big factors that determines where the console will rank in terms of sales.

I also think that the Wii U may or may not struggle during the first year or two due to the Wii's reputation as a casual machine. I trust that Nintendo will come up with something good, they always manage to surprise us one way or another.

You know what? I think that U-pad is way less effective in terms of marketing than Wiiremote.
This means that Nintendo will have to better balance its proposal in terms of overall lineup, working better than before with third parties.

But on home console graphics are more important compared to the portable system, and in addition when it comes to third party support Sony is way better than Nintendo, historically (look at the support they were able to get on PSP also in their darkest moments, and how the Wii lost primarly against PSP then PS3 under this point of view)

But, you know: let's see what will happen! :)

jeremy1456

Looks like the Vita is stabilizing between 15k and 18k. Would like to know how much DD games are selling on it.

The Wii seems to be again on life support. Nintendo will need the Wii U unless they are happy with the dominance of the 3DS (which is not yet printing money, since sold at a loss).

The Vita isn't stabilizing at that range - its bumped by sales from Ragnarok Odyssey. Last week it was Tales of Innocence R.

Its going down down down from here.

Mpl90

they should have made Luffy a bonus playable character or some shit. problem solved.

It worked with Star Wars in North America.

Anth0ny much smarter than Namco confirmed!

The real story this week is Soul Failure

[360] Soul Calibur IV (Bandai Namco) - 34.791 / 53.403 / 65,15% 31/07/08
[GCN] Soul Calibur II (Namco) - 47.620 / 99.256 / 47,98% 27/03/03
[PS2] Soul Calibur II (Namco) - 79.303 / 144.948 / 54,71% 27/03/03
[PS2] Soul Calibur III (Namco) - 100.231 / 134.868 / 74,32% 23/11/05
[PS3] Soul Calibur IV (Bandai Namco) - 74.402 / 120.213 / 61,89% 31/07/08
[PSP] Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny (Bandai Namco) - 31.224 / 60.944 / 51,23% 27/08/09
[SDC] Soul Calibur (Namco) - 171.995 / 288.604 / 59,60% 05/08/99
[XBX] Soul Calibur II (Namco) - 18.262 / 31.815 / 57,40% 27/03/03

[PS1] Soul Edge (Namco) - 162.424 / 419.593 / 38,71% 20/12/96

02./00. [PS3] Soul Calibur V <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.02} (¥8.380) - 34.328 / NEW
16./00. [360] Soul Calibur V <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.02} (¥8.380) - 7.679 / NEW

This brand has collapsed in such a massive way.

Anth0ny

Anth0ny much smarter than Namco confirmed!

The real story this week is Soul Failure

[360] Soul Calibur IV (Bandai Namco) - 34.791 / 53.403 / 65,15% 31/07/08
[GCN] Soul Calibur II (Namco) - 47.620 / 99.256 / 47,98% 27/03/03
[PS2] Soul Calibur II (Namco) - 79.303 / 144.948 / 54,71% 27/03/03
[PS2] Soul Calibur III (Namco) - 100.231 / 134.868 / 74,32% 23/11/05
[PS3] Soul Calibur IV (Bandai Namco) - 74.402 / 120.213 / 61,89% 31/07/08
[PSP] Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny (Bandai Namco) - 31.224 / 60.944 / 51,23% 27/08/09
[SDC] Soul Calibur (Namco) - 171.995 / 288.604 / 59,60% 05/08/99
[XBX] Soul Calibur II (Namco) - 18.262 / 31.815 / 57,40% 27/03/03

[PS1] Soul Edge (Namco) - 162.424 / 419.593 / 38,71% 20/12/96

02./00. [PS3] Soul Calibur V <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.02} (¥8.380) - 34.328 / NEW
16./00. [360] Soul Calibur V <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.02.02} (¥8.380) - 7.679 / NEW

This brand has collapsed in such a massive way.

wow.

Also, it pains me to see the Ps2 version of SCII sold better than the GC version. Of course there were approximately 3 bajillion more PS2s out there than GCs, but still... PS2 version was garbage. GC had Link. Link!

Pachimari

Yea, good points!
I don't know why I had this picture in my head of Wii being the one with most sold units after PS2. :/

Forever

Banned
wow.

Also, it pains me to see the Ps2 version of SCII sold better than the GC version. Of course there were approximately 3 bajillion more PS2s out there than GCs, but still... PS2 version was garbage. GC had Link. Link!

Pretty sure the GC version sold better worldwide, probably because Zelda has stronger international appeal.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
There might be a mis communication here, I am considering budget and alternate releases. I was also under the impression that Revelations is a big game, albeit not a numbered sequel. If that assumption is wrong, then yeah I'm way off and had an unrealistic prediction. Also, I don't know where you are getting that RE5 PS3+360 is not 600K, game data museum (they get famitsu numbers, different tracker, I know) has 123,817 for 360 and 520,564 for PS3 (279,951 for Alternate Edition, 109,281 for budget).
AE and budget edition for RE5 can't be added to the total so simply since there are many double buys. Right now you can compare only the full priced versions and you expect from a game on a single platform that didn't have the budget, hype or promotion of RE5 to match its sales.

Where did I see what? That the PS3 might be within 4 million of Wii? I saw that from 12.256.308 - 7.808.548 = 4.447.760 and PS3 comfortably outselling the Wii so far this year and the Wii already under 10k.

Where do you remember the 7 million gap that will fall to 4 million soon. Maximun was 5.2 million.

Andrea

Neo Member
You know what? I think that U-pad is way less effective in terms of marketing than Wiiremote.
This means that Nintendo will have to better balance its proposal in terms of overall lineup, working better than before with third parties.

But on home console graphics are more important compared to the portable system, and in addition when it comes to third party support Sony is way better than Nintendo, historically (look at the support they were able to get on PSP also in their darkest moments, and how the Wii lost primarly against PSP then PS3 under this point of view)

I definitely see what you mean about the uPad, and I agree with that. The general consensus from E3 2011 was that it was surprisingly comfortable to use, though, so that would make it slightly easier for Nintendo to market it.

Yeah, let's wait and see what'll happen. Nothing's ever really predictable. :p

I think 3DS is likely telegraphing Nintendo's plan for Wii U in Japan. Much like 3DS is being positioned as a home for both the DS and PSP audiences to migrate to, Wii U is going to be positioned as a home for both the Wii and PS3 audiences to migrate to. Sony better have a better PS4 gameplan that do Vita for their home market.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think 3DS is likely telegraphing Nintendo's plan for Wii U in Japan. Much like 3DS is being positioned as a home for both the DS and PSP audiences to migrate to, Wii U is going to be positioned as a home for both the Wii and PS3 audiences to migrate to. Sony better have a better PS4 gameplan that do Vita for their home market.

Could be.
3ds plan is obviously to "defend" the legitimate less blowing sales of 3ds compared to ds including a "male teenager" target into their audience (while probably loosing at least a part of the huge casual market that was captured by the novelty of the ds), offering titles as MH adn MGS and Mosou brand (but also more important iteration of Resident Evil or Kingdom hearts) alongside their most important portable franchises (Mario, Kart, AC, and so on...)

It would be smart trying to do the same with the Wii U, of course, but also more complex in my opinion. Especially if we go outside of Japanese market (western softco are really top notch in terms of power and graphics, and most importantly in the US there are not one but two competitors already affirmed in that "core" market)

Well, well, let's see :)

saichi

And DS is more than both of them combined (32+ millions).

If you only count handheld, we got 50+ millions in Japan alone from last gen.

crazy eh

Could be.
3ds plan is obviously to "defend" the legitimate less blowing sales of 3ds compared to ds including a "male teenager" target into their audience (while probably loosing at least a part of the huge casual market that was captured by the novelty of the ds), offering titles as MH adn MGS and Mosou brand (but also more important iteration of Resident Evil or Kingdom hearts) alongside their most important portable franchises (Mario, Kart, AC, and so on...)

It would be smart trying to do the same with the Wii U, of course, but also more complex in my opinion. Especially if we go outside of Japanese market (western softco are really top notch in terms of power and graphics, and most importantly in the US there are not one but two competitors already affirmed in that "core" market)

Well, well, let's see :)
I agree with all this except given the state of HD game development, I'd say it will be easier to get PlayStation friendly software on board Wii U than it was 3DS, it just won't be there exclusively (Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Musou, Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Gundam, Tales, Tekken, etc). Nintendo's western plan for 3DS is pretty different, and I expect their Wii U plan will be too.

Mpl90

I agree with all this except given the state of HD game development, I'd say it will be easier to get PlayStation friendly software on board Wii U than it was 3DS, it just won't be there exclusively (Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Musou, Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Gundam, Tales, Tekken, etc). Nintendo's western plan for 3DS is pretty different, and I expect their Wii U plan will be too.

Could you explain more your "pretty different" about Western plans?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Probably it will be easier (due to tech reasons) to obtain multiplatform titles with PS360, but it will be also useless (or almost useless) especially compared to the actual 3DS japanes third party situation (very impressive, in my opinion, up to now).
If Wii U will be able to receive also PS4 multiplatform titles, it will be different, instead.
I think that at least Wii U could have an easier life about western multiplatform support for awhile (also here: all will depend on one question: will the Wii U be able to get multiplatform titles with PS4-Xloop?)

:)

jesusraz

Chris1964 said:
01./02. [3DS] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom) {2012.01.26} (¥5.990) - 43.575 / 190.134 (-70%)

Capcom's poor advertising skills in the UK have killed this in its second week, with all the focus turning to RE6, even on TV, making Revelations a distant memory very quickly. Thankfully the case is nowhere near as bad in Japan. What is the situation with the RE6 adverts in Japan, by the way? Are there any on TV, or is it only online campaigns so far?

06./04. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 26.791 / 1.460.749 (-8%)
07./05. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800) - 24.128 / 1.211.026 (-11%)
08./07. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800) - 22.817 / 1.311.312 (-1%)
The low weekly drops for these is very impressive, and the total of the three compared to the weekly sales of the 3DS compare favourably, perhaps pointing nicely towards new buyers picking up one of the three.

11./09. [3DS] Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure <ACT> (Sega) {2012.01.19} (¥6.090) - 9.511 / 56.037 (-36%)
Tracking far better than Feel the Magic and Rub Rabbits?

13./10. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine / Dark <RPG> (Level 5) {2011.12.15} (¥5.800) - 8.960 / 379.764 (-14%)
I wonder if this can chug along to near enough the 500,000 mark, getting a boost near to Golden Week, and then later in the year being boosted by something like Inazuma Eleven Go: Shadow, a third-leg, like Ogre.

15./12. [WII] Just Dance Wii <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.10.13} (¥5.800) - 7.851 / 527.050 (+0%)
I wonder if Ubisoft wishes it'd let Nintendo handle MJ: The Experience as well, since that tanked under their supervision alone.

18./17. [WII] Wii Sports Resort with Remote Plus # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2010.11.11} (¥5.800) - 5.635 / 862.118 (-7%)
Set to crack a million when all is said and done?

04./00. [PSV] Ragnarok Odyssey <SLG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2012.02.02} (¥5.985) - 33.496 / NEW

How does this compare to the DS game?

Gaborn

What makes you say this? I mean, I don't disagree with your point about third parties but I think Nintendo has already shown a willingness to do this, how well they succeeded probably will be discovered at E3.

But on home console graphics are more important compared to the portable system,

What are you basing this on as well? Certainly not this generation if you look at LTD sales.

and in addition when it comes to third party support Sony is way better than Nintendo, historically (look at the support they were able to get on PSP also in their darkest moments, and how the Wii lost primarly against PSP then PS3 under this point of view)

THIS is true at least historically.

Could you explain more your "pretty different" about Western plans?
Western 3DS seems to be Nintendo doubling down on what made previous Nintendo handhelds successful, plus the odd big JP 3rd party game here and there (like RE). I see Nintendo putting a lot more into attracting western development on Wii U than they have 3DS.

Probably it will be easier (due to tech reasons) to obtain multiplatform titles with PS360, but it will be also useless (or almost useless) especially compared to the actual 3DS japanes third party situation (very impressive, in my opinion, up to now).
If Wii U will be able to receive also PS4 multiplatform titles, it will be different, instead.
I think that at least Wii U could have an easier life about western multiplatform support for awhile (also here: all will depend on one question: will the Wii U be able to get multiplatform titles with PS4-Xloop?)

:)
Well, I still expect Nintendo to nab a few key JP exclusives (which will also be easier than nabbing them elsewhere), but 3rd party parity definitely matters in every region. I'm pretty sure Nintendo will do everything possible to ensure they don't have another Wii 3rd party wise, and Japan will probably be the simplest region for them to accomplish that.

jesusraz

[NDS] Ragnarok Online DS (GungHo Works) {2008.12.18} - 44.509 <58,30%>

[PSP] Ragnarok: Princess of Light and Darkness # (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2011.10.27} - 15.559
Thanks, Chris - just what I'd thought in terms of the DS game. I have to admit to completely forgetting about the PSP version...

Capcom's poor advertising skills in the UK have killed this in its second week, with all the focus turning to RE6, even on TV, making Revelations a distant memory very quickly. Thankfully the case is nowhere near as bad in Japan. What is the situation with the RE6 adverts in Japan, by the way? Are there any on TV, or is it only online campaigns so far?/QUOTE]

Actually, I've seen rather a lot of RE:R advertising ("We are Veltro..." etc. etc. :)) over the past couple of weeks - more than any other third-party 3DS game, so perhaps it's a case of what channels you're watching? By contrast, I saw one RE6 teaser within a day or so of the game being announced (which was shocking in itself - the game's nearly a year off!).

Busaiku

I wonder if Ubisoft wishes it'd let Nintendo handle MJ: The Experience as well, since that tanked under their supervision alone.

I doubt much would have changed if Nintendo took that on (well besides the stupid idea of releasing it when Just Dance was doing well).
The appeal of Just Dance is that it actually targets the Japanese market, with regional music.

Michael Jackson is a popular US musician there, but I still don't think that would make it a big enough draw.

I doubt much would have changed if Nintendo took that on (well besides the stupid idea of releasing it when Just Dance was doing well).
The appeal of Just Dance is that it actually targets the Japanese market, with regional music.

Michael Jackson is a popular US musician there, but I still don't think that would make it a big enough draw.

isnt jacko like mega mega popular in japan? i'm thinking if nintendo had handled the experience it could've done very well

AE and budget edition for RE5 can't be added to the total so simply since there are many double buys. Right now you can compare only the full priced versions and you expect from a game on a single platform that didn't have the budget, hype or promotion of RE5 to match its sales.

Even without those they still got over 600k (which you said it didn't), and yes I expected RE:R to do that well because I was under the impression it was a full blown game, and from what I saw, it looked like it had high production values. I still remember some gaffers saying it looked better than RE5 on 360 which I thought was hearsay but you get the point. If what you're saying is true (i.e. the promotion and hype weren't there for RE:R) then I admit that my prediction was unrealistic.

Where do you remember the 7 million gap that will fall to 4 million soon. Maximun was 5.2 million.

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly. I didn't take the time to look up the numbers and I thought the gap got that high. You seem to be certain of the gap and you're trustworthy with your numbers so I believe you without a need to do research. I obviously didn't recall correctly and confused that 7 million gap with something else, maybe 360-PS3 gap a couple years back, idk.

gconsole

RE:R story has nothing relate to the main series , that might be one of the reason why people skip this. I'm judging this from my feeling when I skip MGS PSP (even if I have chance to play) because I have no interest in the spin-off game whatsoever.

The only reason I bought 3DS for RE:R just because how GAF hype this game so much in the official thread. It's not the case for general gamer though.

wrowa

RE:R story has nothing relate to the main series , that might be one of the reason why people skip this. I'm judging this from my feeling when I skip MGS PSP (even if I have chance to play) because I have no interest in the spin-off game whatsoever.

The only reason I bought 3DS for RE:R just because how GAF hype this game so much in the official thread. It's not the case for general gamer though.

The general gamer doesn't give a shit about the trainwreck Resident Evil calls a story either.

Top Bottom