• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2010: {13/12/10 - 19/12/10}

Wii CERO Rating Breakdown (Famitsu as of 12/12/2010):
Code:
[b]CERO Rating		LTD Units	Titles	   Average[/b]

A (All Ages)		43.320.106	234	   185.129
B (12 and up)		2.333.170	44	   53.027
C (15 and up)		2.068.867	21	   98.518
D (17 and up)		556.754		12	   46.396
Z (18 and up)		4.651		1	   4.651

------------------------------------------------------------

Total			48.283.548	312	   154.755

duckroll

Captain Smoker said:
Wii CERO Rating Breakdown (Famitsu as of 12/12/2010):
Code:
[b]CERO Rating		LTD Units	Titles	   Average[/b]

A (All Ages)		43.318.406	233	   185.916
B (12 and up)		2.333.170	44	   53.027
C (15 and up)		2.060.083	20	   103.004
D (17 and up)		556.754		12	   46.396
Z (18 and up)		4.651		1	   4.651
No Rating*		10.484		2	   5.242
* Ju-On: The Grudge & Namco Museum Remix

Ju-On is CERO C, Namco Museum should be A.

Travado said:
It's Christmas, parents buy toys for their kids.

Subtle.

Its funny some Nintendo fans wants MH exclusive to Nintendo consoles just to "destroy" PSP and Sony, they do not buy MH and any other hardcore games,

Some fans are idiots. Big shock there.

MH3rd Portable in 3 weeks already sold 3 times more than MH Tri on Wii . :lol

...and? MH blew up bigstyle on the PSP and its mega-sales appear to be tied to it being a portable game. Tri did pretty damn well - even with the discounting that drove it over the million, it still sold a hell of a lot at full or almost-full price - and I doubt it would have done any better on any other home console. But LOLZ WII!111 all you want if it makes you feel better.

Laguna said:
Did the PS3 even have any million seller by the time MH3 was released on Wii? PS3s best sellers at the time were 350k-500k at best, the only exception beeing MGS4. I doubt retailers would have had a lot of confidence and probably would have ordered considerably less.
Back to square one, where I said "If they shipped 1.1m like Wii version, then 1.1m...". Changing the variables, who knows what would the outcome be.

[Nintex]

Travado said:
It's Christmas, parents buy toys for their kids.

Its funny some Nintendo fans wants MH exclusive to Nintendo consoles just to "destroy" PSP and Sony, they do not buy MH and any other hardcore games, MH3rd Portable in 3 weeks already sold 3 times more than MH Tri on Wii . :lol
Monster Hunter Wii did really well in the US and Europe, much better than any Monster Hunter game released in the west before it. Most likely because Nintendo had some great marketing campaigns and deals for the title(CE's, controller bundles etc.). It's a win-win situation for Capcom, sell Monster Hunter to a new audience(Wii owners/Nintendo fans), keep trucking with Monster Hunter 2-G PSP or whatever and launch Monster Hunter 3 PSP in time for the holiday season. Next step is Monster Hunter 3-G on PSP and perhaps 3DS.

No explosive 'HD' development costs, little risk, incredible sales and happy monster hunting.

Now lets say someone like you ran Capcom, this would've probably happened.
E3 2008 Monster Hunter 3-HD Overdrive PS3 reveal epic trailer fest. US response: "OMG LOOK AT THE GRAFIX!" / JP response: *afk Playing Monster Hunter 2*

Game shown in Japan JP: "Yay <(^-^)>" / US: "Wut is this grinding shit lol? RPG's suck wtf"

At Capcom around early 2009: "Oh wow, this shit is really expensive to make, let's cut some content".
E3 2009: "Holiday 2009 release! BOOM!"
Released in US, Sony doesn't give a fuck about its release, gamers prefer COD and Fable. GAF calls it Monster Wanker because of animation bugs. Released in Japan, sold great but not as great as Monster Hunter 2G. Game obviously rushed not as much content as there was in Monster Hunter 2G. God Eater comes out on PSP, 'oh this is fun'. Capcom: "FUUUUUU" downports MH3 from PS3 to PSP, runs in many development troubles. Shitty outsourced Wii spin-off released because 'oh yeah lol' and it sells like shit.

And now Capcom is bankrupt because all you wanted to do was troll the Wii and have pretty graphics.

tehbear

InfiniteNine said:
Well Alchemist already said they are working on Chiru for the PS3, and the PC version is not ugly. )<

I'd be impressed if Alchemist can brake even on around 12k first week sales. They must have made money hand-over-fist (relatively speaking) with Higurashi Matsuri on PS2 then. Perhaps it's PSP time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Nintex] said:
Monster Hunter Wii did really well in the US and Europe, much better than any Monster Hunter game released in the west before it. Most likely because Nintendo had some great marketing campaigns and deals for the title(CE's, controller bundles etc.). It's a win-win situation for Capcom, sell Monster Hunter to a new audience(Wii owners/Nintendo fans), keep trucking with Monster Hunter 2-G PSP or whatever and launch Monster Hunter 3 PSP in time for the holiday season. Next step is Monster Hunter 3-G on PSP and perhaps 3DS.

No explosive 'HD' development costs, little risk, incredible sales and happy monster hunting.

Now lets say someone like you ran Capcom, this would've probably happened.
E3 2008 Monster Hunter 3-HD Overdrive PS3 reveal epic trailer fest. US response: "OMG LOOK AT THE GRAFIX!" / JP response: *afk Playing Monster Hunter 2*

Game shown in Japan JP: "Yay <(^-^)>" / US: "Wut is this grinding shit lol? RPG's suck wtf"

At Capcom around early 2009: "Oh wow, this shit is really expensive to make, let's cut some content".
E3 2009: "Holiday 2009 release! BOOM!"
Released in US, Sony doesn't give a fuck about its release, gamers prefer COD and Fable. GAF calls it Monster Wanker because of animation bugs. Released in Japan, sold great but not as great as Monster Hunter 2G. Game obviously rushed not as much content as there was in Monster Hunter 2G. God Eater comes out on PSP, 'oh this is fun'. Capcom: "FUUUUUU" downports MH3 from PS3 to PSP, runs in many development troubles. Shitty outsourced Wii spin-off released because 'oh yeah lol' and it sells like shit.

And now Capcom is bankrupt because all you wanted to do was troll the Wii and have pretty graphics.
o__O

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
tehbear said:
I'd be impressed if Alchemist can brake even on around 12k first week sales. They must have made money hand-over-fist (relatively speaking) with Higurashi Matsuri on PS2 then. Perhaps it's PSP time.
Chiru should be easy to produce since almost all the assets from the Question arcs should be usable. They'll basically just have to make some sprites for about 7 characters, slap in a couple of CGs, and script out the story in the engine for it. It'd be a big waste to produce all the sprites for the main reoccurring characters then not churn out an easy sequel.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Final format

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2010 (Dec 20 - Dec 26)

{2010.12.13 - 2010.12.19} 01. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom) {2010.12.01} - 581.543 / 3.161.801

cvxfreak

Chris1964 said:
Final format

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2010 (Dec 20 - Dec 26)

{2010.12.13 - 2010.12.19} 01. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom) {2010.12.01} - 581.543 / 3.161.801

Thumbs up!

donny2112

Famitsu Dec 6-12

01./01. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (Capcom) - 514,198 / 2,660,665 (-76%)
02./00. [NDS] Ninokuni: Shikkoku no Madoushi (Level 5) - 177,249 / NEW
03./00. [WII] Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo) - 165,859 / NEW
04./06. [NDS] Pokemon Black/White (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 78,108 / 4,589,426 (+43%)
05./10. [WII] Wii Party (Nintendo) - 53,683 / 1,269,555 (+57%)
06./04. [WII] Mario Sports Mix (Nintendo) - 53,095 / 196,635 (-9%)
07./09. [WII] Super Mario Collection Special Pack (Nintendo) - 41,937 / 653,730 (+16%)
08./00. [PS3] Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft) - 39,198 / NEW
09./05. [NDS] Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem (Nintendo) - 38,665 / 93,550 (-30%)
10./02. [PS3] Tales of Graces F (Namco Bandai Games) - 36,543 / 256,464 (-83%)

11./03. [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 (SCEI) - 29,923 / 508,525 (-56%)
12./00. [NDS] Fushigi no Dungeon: Furai no Shiren 5 - Fortune Tower and the Dice of Fate (Chunsoft) - 27,683 / NEW
13./13. [NDS] Super Kasekihorida (Super Fossil Fighters) (Nintendo) - 24,233 / 117,099 (+26%)
14./15. [NDS] Tongari Boushi to Mahou no Omise (Magician's Quest 2) (Konami) - 23,261 / 128,714 (+23%)
15./17. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 21,293 / 2,027,882 (+46%)
16./08. [NDS] Momotarou Dentetsu World (Hudson) - 19,645 / 60,500 (-52%)
17./28. [WII] Kirby's Epic Yarn (Nintendo) - 18,448 / 246,110 (+99%)
18./27. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Challenge (Endless Challenge) (Namco Bandai Games) - 17,636 / 46,047 (+90%)
19./12. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii 3: Everyone Party! (Namco Bandai Games) - 16,695 / 43,550 (-38%)
20./30. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 15,331 / 5,969,113 (+70%)
21./25. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 15,006 / 2,917,696 (+59%)
22./29. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 14,806 / 4,025,323 (+60%)
23./07. [PSP] Kamen Rider Climax Heroes OOO (Namco Bandai Games) - 12,466 / 59,168 (-73%)
24./00. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo) - 12,132 / 859,522
25./16. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: The World (A Penguin's Troubles) (Konami) - 11,904 / 28,890 (-30%)
26./00. [360] Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft) - 11,766 / NEW
27./11. [WII] Kamen Rider Climax Heroes OOO (Namco Bandai Games) - 11,014 / 39,947 (-62%)
28./20. [360] Kinect Adventures! (Microsoft Game Studios) - 10,740 / 51,216 (-15%)
29./22. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami) - 9,952 / 70,758 (-10%)
30./00. [PS3] Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (Electronic Arts Victor) - 9,290 / NEW

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Nov 8-14, 2010
Nov 15-21, 2010
Nov 22-28, 2010
Nov 29-Dec 5, 2010

Dr. Light

gerg said:
I'd say the Japanese format is close. The only system that doesn't make any sense is the American system - I can understand going from little to large (or least important to most important), and visa versa, but putting the month before the day... I honestly have no idea why you'd do that.

Sorry, I have to jump in here. Are you dense? The US system is the only one that makes sense and corresponds to the way dates are said. It's always month first.

Today's date: December 23, 2010.

12/23/10

The day information is meaningless without knowing the month, that's why the Euro dating order is always incredibly confusing and aggravating. You have to look in the middle for the date to make any sense. The month is the most important information, followed by the day modifier. The year is the least important information (especially in a non-historical context like this) because it changes the least. You don't want every damn date to begin with "2010" before you reach the actual relevant information, so the Japanese system is retarded as well.

Dr. Light said:
Sorry, I have to jump in here. Are you dense? The US system is the only one that makes sense and corresponds to the way dates are said. It's always month first.

12/23/10

The day information is meaningless without knowing the month, that's why the Euro dating order is always incredibly confusing and aggravating. You have to look in the middle for the date to make any sense. The month is the most important information, followed by the day modifier. The year is the least important information (especially in a non-historical context like this) because it changes the least. You don't want every damn date to begin with "2010" before you reach the actual relevant information, so the Japanese system is retarded as well.

Today's date: 24th of December, 2010.

Nevermind that dates are an expression of a unit, a measurement, something scientific and calculable. Scaling in a linear fashion from largest to smallest or vice versa makes more sense than adhering to linguistic convention.

Dr. Light said:

Eh? Over here I rarely hear anyone lead with the month - if they're talking about today, they would say "the 24th of December" or "24th December".

That aside, leading with the day, then month and year makes far more sense to me. I find date conventions that switch that around rather counterintuitive and confusing.

Dr. Light

Die Squirrel Die said:

Nevermind that dates are an expression of a unit, a measurement, something scientific and calculable. Scaling in a linear fashion from largest to smallest or vice versa makes more sense than adhering to linguistic convention.

Maybe in Gazookastan, but here in the US it's exactly 6PM December 23rd.

And dates are not mathmatics. I don't even like the numerical months at all.

Eh? Over here I rarely hear anyone lead with the month - if they're talking about today, they would say "the 24th of December" or "24th December".

Wow, I envy you sometimes. I wish it was legal to smoke crack over here.

Dr. Light said:

12/23/10

350px-Date.png

Going against the wheel as usual, aren't we, US?

gerg

Dr. Light said:
Maybe in Gazookastan, but here in the US it's exactly 6PM December 23rd.

560px-Blank_map_of_Europe_cropped_-_E10.svg.png

Also, please, next time let's leave the ad hominem attacks outside of a debate about dates.

(Personally, I realise that it's easy to get accustomed to any system of ordering dates. In many cases the way you write the date is incredibly arbitrary.)

Dr. Light

Cosmonaut X said:
Excuse me? If you want to behave like a twat, I'll happily drop out of this discussion right now.

I wasn't being sarcastic.

Not that I smoke crack myself, but I genuinely wish the US was as tolerant regarding personal freedoms as most of Europe is.

Your dating system is still wrong, though.

Cipherr

Die Squirrel Die said:

Probably doesn't mean shit since I'm also in the US but I agree with light.

Your example would probably have to be changed to:

The 24th of December, 2010.

Instead we say:

December 24th, 2010.

No 'the' no 'of's just the date. Im sure all of us are familiar with the fact that the US date system isnt the most widely used, but Ill be damned if it doesnt seem to make the most sense (in unison with the english language at least).

ReyBrujo

^ At Wikipedia we say {{Globalize/USA}}

Any numbers for AKB 1/48 (other than the preorders and the Bandai sales estimations)? Lots of idol-related forums are expecting them.

gerg

Road said:
I go traveling and get back to worldaccordingtoamerica.jpg

Am I in the right thread? :lol

Hey, what do you want? The world according to Gazookastan? Get that backwardsness out of here!

ReyBrujo

Not sure if these numbers are known or correct for the best selling console games of 2010 in Japan, but I was surprised by the Xbox360 sales. Looks like there are around 50,000 real Xbox players there.

1.Monster Hunter Frontier Online (Capcom : 120,826 copies sold)
2.Dead Rising (Capcom : 49,974 copies sold)
3.Halo Reach (Microsoft : 48,045 copies sold)
4.Lost Planet (Capcom : 46,822 copies sold)
5.Hokuto Musou (Koei : 44,046 copies sold)

In the midst of the ways to keep track of time conversation comes a random sales fact!

Image epoch's CEO's blog yesterday post life-time sales of ARC RISE FANTASIA Budget edition have past the 25,000 mark.

Also Alchemist president(Umineko no Naku publisher) made another big commotion: by saying that ps3 game sales have been horrible this season, and it's because of psp(Monster hunter 3) and that psp is the reason Japan is falling behind in the world gaming sales.

The Last Story appeared yesterday on Comgnet charts with 20 points. It's #11 now with 25 points. Hopefully this is promising news for TLS sales...

cvxfreak

Dr. Light said:

12/23/10

The Japanese order makes sense when you actually speak Japanese.

Dr. Light said:

12/23/10

Thats not how dates are said. You only assume that because that is how they are said where you have lived. From my experience no one says it like that. Everyone says 'the 23rd of december'. That isn't an argument however. Just because you are used to something doesn't make it right. To me thats basically the same as people who say that people from the US don't have accents.

To me your whole argument is flawed even if the end result is correct. You have started from the assumption that month, day, year is correct and you have then started to look for ways to prove that assumption to be true.

Dr. Light said:
The day information is meaningless without knowing the month, that's why the Euro dating order is always incredibly confusing and aggravating. You have to look in the middle for the date to make any sense. The month is the most important information, followed by the day modifier.

In this context isn't the month useless without the day? In order to know what period your talking about you need the day and month.

Dr. Light said:
The year is the least important information (especially in a non-historical context like this) because it changes the least. You don't want every damn date to begin with "2010" before you reach the actual relevant information, so the Japanese system is retarded as well.

Isn't your system wrong using the very logic you used to support it? You said the year goes last because it changes the least and is therefore the least important. Well the month changes far less often then the day so therefore shouldn't it go dd/mm/yy?

In my personal opinion i prefer the day first. Simply because the month and year rarely change so i always know what month and year it is. The days change often so it easy to forget.

In the end though i think it comes down to personal opinion. Calling someone else dense (or high) for disagreeing with you is just unnecessary and in the end you're the one who comes out looking stupid because of it.

Edit: In the end i prefer looking at the week anyway. It is so easy to compare to previous years if you just look at what week it is.

For NPD i prefer to look at the month because they only release data monthly.

Takao

Banned
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Also Alchemist president(Umineko no Naku publisher) made another big commotion: by saying that ps3 game sales have been horrible this season, and it's because of psp(Monster hunter 3) and that psp is the reason Japan is falling behind in the world gaming sales.

The president of a visual novel company claims the PSP is the reason the Japanese video game market is falling behind. Hmmm.

Jonnyram

Wow... the date debate is even more heated than the sales :lol

I think the European format is gonna be a bomba because everyone here is American.
Japanese format is best, but I don't like it ever since they started handing it out to foreign developers. Date collapse incoming.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Fularu said:
After GT5's disaster, Castelvania is an another one.

Selling on par with DS versions while beeing a hell of a lot more expensive to make?

Yeah go back to the 2D versions if you want to keep that franchise alive

In Japan, you mean? At least in the west, Lords of Shadow has been easily outperforming the DS entries.

gerg said:
I'd say the Japanese format is close. The only system that doesn't make any sense is the American system - I can understand going from little to large (or least important to most important), and visa versa, but putting the month before the day... I honestly have no idea why you'd do that.

It corresponds directly with how Americans verbally say dates. "December 19th, 2010."

This saves you a syllable when compared to "19th of December, 2010". We Americans like our shortcuts.

It also looks better when you're organizing dates chronilogically.

Laguna

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Back to square one, where I said "If they shipped 1.1m like Wii version, then 1.1m...". Changing the variables, who knows what would the outcome be.

The point is that retailers obviously wouldn´t have ordered that many because of lack of confidence towards the platform, due to bad hardware sales (especially pre slim) and the glorified best sellers at the time sold 300k-500k at best with the only exception beeing MGS4 selling a little more and with no million seller on the system at the time.

bladoftheimmortal said:
Only sad because the damn thing sells without any "notable" releases.
Just take a look at the charts, what do you see there? As a new console owner you aren´t obligated to buy new releases and to ignore what got released before you know.

gerg

ZealousD said:
It corresponds directly with how Americans verbally say dates. "December 19th, 2010."

I can see this.

This saves you a syllable when compared to "19th of December, 2010". We Americans like our shortcuts.

Meh, when I write dates I just write: 19 December. The "th"s (and so on) look ugly. Also, it's not like everyone always says the "of", either.

Laguna

Banned
Since Castlevania released last week in Japan, it would be interesting to see what both PS2 CVs did in comparison. Does anyone have the numbers at hand?

Top Bottom