• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2011 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

Spiegel

02./01. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 137,093 / 657,000 (-74%)
02./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800) - 208.427 / 730.386 (-60%)

They're SO fun, indeed!

Those MH3G numbers aren't that good.

Next week drop (or rise) will be very telling.

I don't suppose we can attribute FFXIII-2's poor sales to consumers reacting negatively to the game's ridiculous DLC plans?

I caved (I'm weak!) and read ending stuff in the |OT|. Most blatant set up for DLC this gen? Plus all the weapons and character skins covering up horrible default character designs ... fuck, I remember when FF were bursting with content and demo discs! Man, I loved PS1 era Square demo discs

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

We'll see. If it was supply constrained for most of the week, that could account for that number. Should be interesting.

It got a perfect score from Famitsu! :lol

So it's only as good as Nintendogs?
;)

But seriously. I'm asking because perhaps SE listened to the fanbase with their complaints about FFXIII, and they fixed those for XIII-2. But the fanbase doesn't buy it because they got their hands burned by XIII.

If such a thing was the case, this weeks bomb would be pretty sad.

No need to get all crazy the next main line FF will out sell the next Tales game easy .
FFXIII-2 was a of time to tell the truth and a cheap way to make a new game.

I know, I know. I'm being overly dramatic but it's just too funny. I coulda told them no one wanted this game, they would've been far better off just tweaking the character appearances and locals and cutting the story ties to XIII, the name is toxic. Same goes for Versus.

muu

I think FFXIII-2's numbers have a lot more to do with home gaming shrinking in Japan than everything else said here. I think the major changes happening in the habits of japanese players will be a real problem for all the devs there, Square Enix included. And Final Fantasy is part of it. Being a saga loved everywhere at the same level, they're loosing fans in Japan by insisting on developing it on home consoles when everything else changed in the landscape; at the same time, in the west home gaming is stronger for this genre and type of games. What will happen to FF? Will it become a multiplatform title with a focus on portables for local market and home consoles in the west? (PS3/VITA for example) Or will they drop the interest in Japan and try to make the saga stronger in the west?
The changes we will see after Versus's released will be BIG. I'm not expecting FFXV at this point to be on home consoles anymore, or not just on home consoles. Japan wants FF on portables like they wanted Monster Hunter and then Dragon Quest. Everything's changed, Square Enix will have to adapt.

Tales has continued to sell consistently. Ps3s are still selling strong. Do not think "home gaming is dying" is the answer to what's happening here, at least it's not the only factor, for sure.

One thing to remember is that ff13 took a nosedive in price almost immediately after release. My guess is, all but the hardcore ff people are waiting for the inevitable discounts.

Cipherr

Err, I dunno man, they wanted 1.2m shipped by April right? This week just assured they will likely sell through 1m or very near it (or more) by the end of this year (week 52). If thats not at least good, then Im not sure what would be.

Spiegel

We'll see. If it was supply constrained for most of the week, that could account for that number. Should be interesting.

It really wasn't more supply constrained than MHP2G or MHP3 were after the first week (MH3G had a lower sell-through than both games) and Capcom has shipped 1 million now.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
This shouldn't be noted, since most releases, whether it's hardware or software, only have 2 or 3 days of sales instead of a week. So the playing field is leveled that way. Pointing it out almost always ends in a pitiful debate about how "sales could've been better if it had a whole week". The Vita's launch will be compared to 3DS's weekly numbers, just like the 3DS' launch was compared to the other hardware numbers from that week. Deal with it.

True enough. Just trying to balance out some possible doom-saying later.

Vita is doomed without Monster Hunter.

Xater

I don't suppose we can attribute FFXIII-2's poor sales to consumers reacting negatively to the game's ridiculous DLC plans?

I caved (I'm weak!) and read ending stuff in the |OT|. Most blatant set up for DLC this gen? Plus all the weapons and character skins covering up horrible default character designs ... fuck, I remember when FF were bursting with content and demo discs! Man, I loved PS1 era Square demo discs

More like, a lot of people didn't like XIII. I think that has been pretty clear for a while now.

Yamauchi

Banned
The sequel to one of the worst FF games does deserve that. Why they made a sequel to it is still baffling. There are probably a lot of FFXIII players like me who were so pissed of that they didn't even finish the original. Why would any of them consider the sequel?
Sequels and spinoffos to mainline FF/DQ games are necessary because of the increasing expenses for producing current-gen games while the sales for these mainline games are flat (or declining, in the case of FF). Remember that Square Enix reported a heavy loss last fiscal year.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
My guess is, all but the hardcore ff people are waiting for the inevitable discounts.

Or they, you know, didn't enjoy FFXIII and don't want to be burned again? *shrug*

I think FFXIII-2's numbers have a lot more to do with home gaming shrinking in Japan than everything else said here. I think the major changes happening in the habits of japanese players will be a real problem for all the devs there, Square Enix included. And Final Fantasy is part of it. Being a saga loved everywhere at the same level, they're loosing fans in Japan by insisting on developing it on home consoles when everything else changed in the landscape; at the same time, in the west home gaming is stronger for this genre and type of games. What will happen to FF? Will it become a multiplatform title with a focus on portables for local market and home consoles in the west? (PS3/VITA for example) Or will they drop the interest in Japan and try to make the saga stronger in the west?
The changes we will see after Versus's released will be BIG. I'm not expecting FFXV at this point to be on home consoles anymore, or not just on home consoles. Japan wants FF on portables like they wanted Monster Hunter and then Dragon Quest. Everything's changed, Square Enix will have to adapt.

I completely disagree. The notion that Japan moved from home consoles to handheld gaming is correct and nothing new, but you can't really apply that to a franchise like FF that takes heavy advantage of current technology and is expected to be a technical marvel. The original XIII proved that just two years ago. A lot of people were willing to buy a FF on homeconsoles and now XIII-2 just got completely rejected, because XIII was simply an awful game and people don't want more of that.

I'm thinking it'll drop again but not a lot, its still on a low userbase system so It's not gonna motor its way to the heights of the psp games, should hit the million last week of the year I'd say and settle down with nice legs in the new year

Paracelsus

They really should leave all three. And I mean, now.

17 Kingdom Hearts games have been released in the time required to release one and a half FF game, Nomura got his game cockblocked by FFXIII-2 and people still begged for more of XIII.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yes, next week will say us things about MH3G. I think it'll have a great third week, also due to the possible rise to Heaven of 3DS, which, if it happens, will surely help a lot.

Third week for the original

04./02. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (Capcom) - 92,865 / 750,000 (-32%)

The comparison is somewhat "balanced", since, while MH3G's third week will be the biggest one of the year, MH3's third week was an Holiday too.

gogogow

At this point, I think they wanted to reuse assets to make a return on investment.

Didn't they say they cut so much art assets from FFXIII that they could make an entire game out of it? So it should be substantially cheaper, still this is not what they expected and/or wanted.

Shocking figures for FFXIII-2. Absolutely terrible. I don't see where Square go from here, the FF brand is ruined now. I think they should get Versus out of the door and rest the brand for a long time, maybe sit out the whole of the next generation and focus on PS5 launch for FFVIIR.

True enough. Just trying to balance out some possible doom-saying later.

Vita is doomed without Monster Hunter.

The "doomed" cries are really premature imo. I doubt you can deduct a lot of a systems life solely based on first week numbers? And the 324k from the Vita makes predictions even less easy, since imho this number is smack down in the middle of the "bomb-success" spectrum.

We'll just have to wait and see how the Vita fares in the coming weeks.

So how much of the FFXIII-2 bomba can be attributed to the fact that they launched the same week as the Vita, and the week after a new Monster Hunter? Seems like really poor timing on their part. The top 2 consoles sold close to 700k units and FFXIII-2 isn't on either of those consoles.

Opiate

For Final Fantasy fans: how irreperable is this damage to the brand name?

The FF brand name was already in decline before this happened. What sort of bounce back would you expect if SE announced a new, mainline FF today?

Gravijah

Shocking figures for FFXIII-2. Absolutely terrible. I don't see where Square go from here, the FF brand is ruined now. I think they should get Versus out of the door and rest the brand for a long time, maybe sit out the whole of the next generation and focus on PS5 launch for FFVIIR.

they'll probably end up going third party.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Versus should be renamed. And thus other 2 years of development just for selecting the new name. ._.

I'm thinking it'll drop again but not a lot, its still on a low userbase system so It's not gonna motor its way to the heights of the psp games, should hit the million last week of the year I'd say and settle down with nice legs in the new year
How does it's 2nd week compare to the PSP games actually? I'm curious if the percentage is similar?

Kazerei

Banned
If Dragonquest X bricks, SE is going to have a pretty bad situation on their hands.

I'm not particularly upbeat about either DQX or FFXIV 2.0. SE really needs to not screw up both though.

Yeah, I'm pretty worried about DQX as well, based on FFXI and FFXIV results. It's cool that SE are doing MMORPGs, but maybe they should've created a new IP for that, instead of using their biggest brands.

Negator

The FF brand name was already in decline before this happened. What sort of bounce back would you expect if SE announced a new, mainline FF today?

The damage is massive. It would take a goddamn Christmas miracle to get Final Fantasy to have the previous mindshare it used to have.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Next week = biggest week.
holiday_anticipation-6311.jpg

Gravijah

Yeah, I'm pretty worried about DQX as well, based on FFXI and FFXIV results. It's cool that SE are doing MMORPGs, but maybe they should've created a new IP for that, instead of using their biggest brands.

ffxi was amazing and it made them a lot of money.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Well the FFXIII-2 numbers are disappointing. Attach ratio is pretty low compared to FFXIII as well.

Square Enix needs to release versus fast and repair the brand again. It will be a tough task but it seems they've pretty much screwed it now.

FFX-2 sold 1.9M week 1. So FFXIII-2 missed that bar slightly.
lol

And I predict DQX will bomb as well, so S-E seems in big trouble. I know this is a touchy subject, but I really think they should do a dual Wii-3DS or Wii-WiiU release for that game.

Edit: wait, they are doing the Wii-WiiU thing, right? Forgot about that.

ANyone in Japan got any idea what 3ds stocks are like in shops? 3 colours are sold out on amazon at the moment and they ain't getting any mmore til the end me the week

Not irreparable but really big. I would expect people not giving a fuck. Hell, I want Versus as much as anyone but right now, I don't give a fuck. And they will continue to shit games to the market and then wonder "uh? what happened :O".

grrr.

Top Bottom