• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2011 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

For Final Fantasy fans: how irreperable is this damage to the brand name?

The FF brand name was already in decline before this happened. What sort of bounce back would you expect if SE announced a new, mainline FF today?

They haven't even finished Versus yet, what kind of hope can we have in SE now? They could announce FFXV and FFXVI and it wouldn't mean anything.

[Nintex]

Rename vs. XIII and get Sony to release the PS4 by the end of 2012 so it can be the big launch title. All those things sound unlikely so it's pretty much dead.

DaBuddaDa

The FF brand name was already in decline before this happened. What sort of bounce back would you expect if SE announced a new, mainline FF today?

As a decades long FF fan, the three things they need to do to make me excited for FF XV:

1) Fire Toriyama or regulate him to a lesser role.
2) Hire an entirely new writing team.
3) Bring in development support from other SE-owned studios by any means necessary so it doesn't languish in development hell for 6 years before being quickly cobbled together during the last 9 months.

If those things happen I will care about the series again. Final Fantasy is a strange series with tons of fans that all enjoy different aspects of the series, so I don't want to really speak for "fans" in general.

I would still be hype for a new FF main line game.
SE said they fix they problems FFXIII had but they fixed it with a game no one wanted.
I wanted to new FF done right not a sequel to game i did not like .

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It really wasn't more supply constrained than MHP2G or MHP3 were after the first week (MH3G had a lower sell-through than both games) and Capcom has shipped 1 million now.

Well, I am not expecting it to reach those heights.

They are doing a Wii - Wiiu release for it

Yeah, I edited my post because I just remembered that. In that case DQX could still become a good seller, thanks to the WiiU and (perhaps) it being and online MMORPG. Or do DQ games only well when there's a big established userbase on the console?

Orgen

It really wasn't more supply constrained than MHP2G or MHP3 were after the first week (MH3G had a lower sell-through than both games) and Capcom has shipped 1 million now.

Yep but if Tri G follows the Tri pattern it'll end near Capcom's expectations right? (1.2m IIRC)

I'm not debating if they're good or bad numbers but at least it seems sure they'll end meeting the expectations.

It's not irreparable, but they really need to impress with the next FF title or it could be. The problem for them at the moment is that they are still balls-deep in a poorly-received MMO and have a stuck-in-development-hell spinoff so they don't have a window where no FF titles are coming out. What if they fuck up the "recovery plan" for FFXIV and Versus turns out to be an utter turd?

Averon

I liked FF13 mainly for it battle system, but I can see why that isn't enough for many people. Combine FF13's disappointment and FF14's massive blunder of merely existing, and I can see why the FF brand is in shreds at the moment.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

I don't think the name is completely tarnished. It's just that XIII-2 was totally uncalled for. My friends (who are, or used to be, XIII fans) don't seem to notice the existence of XIII-2 because:

1. They're looking forward to Versus XIII (yes! even up to now) and type-0 to some extent.
2. XIII didn't really give off a good impression.

If we compare it to X. X had a stronger impression (like what I said previously) much more than XIII.

Just release Versus XIII and move on to XV. XV should be more "traditional", akin to VII-IX. Oh and let Nojima be involved in XV, not Toriyama (only).

Kenka

They could make a gamble and hire young talents at Nintendo, at least they could do something.

Going on with the same crew which can't finish a game in time while all others can is a mistake. A plain mistake. Fire those guys and take a look at other people CVs. There are enough talents out there in Japan. I beg S-E stakeholders to take a decision they should have taken years ago.

S-E is running out of remakes to fund their useless HD titles. I can't believe that after five years in this generation, they haven't changed their policy one iota. Milk customers on portables, blow e^x billion yen in unpopular HD titles.

Wtf.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority

They need a complete return to form. Just cause you add elements from other Final Fantasies (i.e. Crystals, moogles, ect) doesn't automatically make a it a good game, SE.

People were expecting world maps, areas to explore, and you know, a story worth telling. I had to force my way into playing FFXIII, and i didnt even finish it. Sucks, because i loved FFXII so damn much.

I can go back and play FF6 right now and still enjoy it as much as my first playthrough. What the hell happened?

TL:DR - They lost their magic.

Go_Ly_Dow

Holy fuck at XIII-2. I was expecting it to sell under 1mil but this is
just crazy. They need to get the XIII out of Versus, rename is to XV and make it fucking awesome on all levels.

Effect

I don't dislike FFXIII as much as others but I've been struggling with even going back to continue playing. It's pretty but it just simply isn't that engaging or that fun to play. I got up to the Odin fight in chapter 4. I had been annoyed by the battle system up to that point but that fight made me hate it and it's the main reason why I stopped playing. I've read up on how to win the fight but I can't be bothered at this point. Maybe later just to do it but have no desire to now. On the character front Sazh is the only likable character for me but that's mainly because everyone else is so bad and/or to annoying. I'm just glad I didn't pay a lot of the game as it had been marketed down when I got it. So I'm not to sorry to see FFXIII-2 do poorly. My interest in the series has been in decline since FFX where I just stopped caring about the story towards the end. I think I'm finally done with the mainline series. The Tactics games are still fun as I still enjoy SRPG and I even like the Crystal Chronicles games to a degree but they are losing me here as well so I'll stick with those for the foreseeable future.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yep but if Tri G follows the Tri pattern it'll end near Capcom's expectations right? (1.2m IIRC)

I'm not debating if they're good or bad numbers but at least it seems sure they'll end meeting the expectations.

It will be interesting to see how it tracks after the holiday's given that it will be growing with the userbase as opposed to MH Tri. I think 1.5Mish sounds about right to me.

Spiegel

Am I the only one expecting Versus to get renamed and released on PS3/Vita (+ maybe Wii U and 360)?

Seems like things are headed that way with FFX and the new action rpg.

Fularu

Banned

Sellthrough is at 75%, while it could have been better, it's still prety exceptionnal. Also we don't know if the 1 million shipped was before the end of this week's numbers or after (for all we know, Capcom could have shipped 150k more on monday).

Mrbob

I know people joke about Eidos Montreal handling FF, but how far fetched is it? Especially if the SE Japan studios continue to fail at making FF games?

Eidos Montreal rebooted Deus Ex. They will do the same for Thief.

Why not put them in charge of rebooting Final Fantasy? Wada's pride will be shot in doing so but the company needs to make money. DQX doesn't look like a definite big time seller either considering the path the game is taking.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
so you're saying we should get a 3ds or vita exclusive mainline ff.

PS4.

Vita and 3DS can get type-1 and bravely default 2.

gogogow

Yeah, it was 1.9m lifetime (not counting International + Last Mission). I wonder what XIII-2's lifetime possibility is looking like now given how fast these sorts of games traditionally drop off? 750-800k?

80(+)% dropoff in next weeks chart and shelves filled with used copies. I can see it crawling to 700k.

Am I the only one expecting Versus to get renamed and released on PS3/Vita (+ maybe Wii U and 360)?

I think it'll go PS3/360 and maybe Wii U. Vita I could see getting it's own Versus spinoff from SE Osaka or something.

FF is pretty fucked up honestly.

---
However, tbh, FF X-2 (as the only sequel), had the advantage of being backed by the amazing story of FFX. I just couldn't let it slip.

As someone who loved the battle system in FFXIII (and lamented pretty much everything else about it), I actually looked forward to FFXIII-2 "fixing" a lot of what was wrong. Towns or more free travel, plot that isn't completely obtuse, no inane grinding, and characters that might actually be likeable.

Then I saw this DLC bullshit (bikini costume? ugh) and am happy to see it burn in a fire. Not that the franchise deserves any better, with SE screwing up so much multiple times in one generation, but it would've been nice to see some real recovery in the direction department. Costume DLC and platform-exclusive items is NOT what I was hoping for.

They could really do with rebooting Final Fantasy. Okay so I realise that they 'reboot' the games each time, but what I mean is a complete stylistic break from the tone they've been going for the last few games. The character archetypes, the plot progression, hell I actually quite like Nomura's designs a lot of the time but I think they need an FF without a single recognisable characteristic of his work.

Polo67

I have a feeling Versus will bomb too. I'm loosing confidence in square as a Jrpg maker . Hopefully the bomba will force them to be more creative and realize there no longer top dawgs in the RPG space.

They need a complete return to form. Just cause you add elements from other Final Fantasies (i.e. Crystals, moogles, ect) doesn't automatically make a it a good game, SE.

People were expecting world maps, areas to explore, and you know, a story worth telling. I had to force my way into playing FFXIII, and i didnt even finish it. Sucks, because i loved FFXII so damn much.

I can go back and play FF6 right now and still enjoy it as much as my first playthrough. What the hell happened?

TL:DR - They lost their magic.
I was going to type up something similar to this. It's pretty spot on. I actually enjoyed FFXIII but it never even really felt like a Final Fantasy game.

Coxy

Gundam got Zeong'd, though it seems to be out of stock in places

did FF13-2 even release on 360 in japan?

Sadist

Wow, Xillia bested XIII-2? There are no words.

Launch comparison between Samurai Warriors 3DS and Dynasty Warrior Vita is interesting as well.

And 3DS? Four million is going to happen. Curious about the first quarter because of the strong line-up. MK 7 will be the first to reach one million.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
However, for the first week, MC reported that almost all retailers had a 85-90% sell through for MH3G. Not 75%.

However.

3DS is on track to cross the four million mark in Japanese domestic sales by the end of the year, Nikkei reported today.

Nikkei sourced statistics from Enterbrain, a separate tracker from Media Create, which we use for our our sales data). For the third week of December (12/12 to 12/18), Enterbrain reported 390,000 units sold for the 3DS (a bit higher than the 360,000 units Media Create reported). This gives the system 3.6 million life to date.

With two weeks left in the year, the system will almost certainly reach the 4 million mark. It could even reach it next week as the year-end sales rush approaches its peak.

The 390,000 units sold is the highest weekly total yet for the system, renewing the record from the previous week, when the system sold 380,000 units opposite Monster Hunter 3G's release. These figures represent major year-end boosts for the system, whose average weekly sales total is 80,000 units.

3DS appears to be ahead of schedule in its approach of the four million mark. In an interview with Nikkei on December 6, CEO Satoru Iwata said that he expected the system to reach the four million mark within a year of its launch, or by the end of February 2012.

I have a feeling Versus will bomb too. I'm loosing confidence in square as a Jrpg maker . Hopefully the bomba will force them to be more creative and realize there no longer top dawgs in the RPG space.
FF Type-0, KH BBS, DQ IX, TWEWY, and KH 3D (likely) all say SE still has some talent.

tzare

any chances that FF goes portable too? maybe Vita would suit well as it is a 'high-end' device.

Good sales overall, not overwhelming, but decent:

good 3ds performance, a bit too low despite having 3 AAA games
good Vita performance, a bit too low to, but i guess no outstanding japanese-taste software, plus 3DS sales, plus price makes it decent.

low FF performance.

Good sales for 3ds software, except for L-5 game. Decent sales for Vita software, too many games may have hurt having a huge seller.
I wonder how many games were sold on PSN and not at retail

There's no way they'll keep 13 in the name (if they've got any sense it'll be 15) and 360 and WiiU versions are surely a certainty

Top Bottom