• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2015 (Dec 07 - Dec 13)

Yeah, I think it's not going to break 200k, but it'll be close-ish.

It seems to be close based on Volkampf, but no, I don't think it'll actually get over 200k.

I can almost guarantee that the sales beat type-0 at 200k, there is Xmas to account for so not everyone who has bought the game has fought Volkampf. Also, wouldn't those who are not playing online not be tracked?

Draxal

If NX takes off, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo ports some of their games that weren't fit for the Wii U audience to it. If NX is a powerful handheld, they could port XCX and #FE to it hoping for a second chance with a more receptive audience.

Honestly, that's what I'm praying for.

I can almost guarantee that the sales beat type-0 at 200k, there is Xmas to account for so not everyone who has bought the game has fought Volkampf. Also, wouldn't those who are not playing online not be tracked?

well I'll assume the counter does break 200k by the time the NPD period closes, but two things with that:
1. that covers more than just the USA, so you'd have to take the rest of the Americas out
2. NPD, and by extension the known Type-0 figure, does not include digital, so you have to take that out too

ivysaur12

Banned
well I'll assume the counter does break 200k by the time the NPD period closes, but two things with that:
1. that covers more than just the USA, so you'd have to take the rest of the Americas out
2. NPD, and by extension the known Type-0 figure, does not include digital, so you have to take that out too

Exactly.

Eolz

For the previous page, I don't really see #FE getting a port on NX. Probably a BC re-release though, like we're seeing with some Wii titles right now.
Ready to bet SMTV is going to NX though, but we already had this discussion countless times.

Anyway, disappointing sales. Don't see it being really better worldwide due to the idol focus too.

Vena

Yes. These are also all good points.

Diffense

On the topic of the Pokemon franchise, I think Pokemon Go is going to be a great thing for its relevance. I don't think the franchise is in serious trouble; it's just at a mature stage whereas Yokai Watch is the hot new thing and the first serious competitor in a while. However Pokemon Go, being a smartphone app, will have great reach and the concept is a perfect fit for Pokemon. It'll help make Pokemon fresh again and may even attract new players because of the low barrier to entry (free to play on phones many people already have).

Kid Ying

Minecraft at eleven. If i remember right, splatoon passed DQX when it was at something like 80 to 100k, so it should get there sometimes, but it will take a bit more time for the top.

About #fe, i guess its obvious the game would do better on PS systems. Specially when the fire emblem connection is quite small at best. Still, that tepid reception is quite strange to me. The game looks quite good and i'm surprised it seems there is no overlap between the xenoblade audience and this one.

Certainly didnt expected that. About becoming a franchise, its not impossible even if its sales dont become that great. Even xenoblade never sold that great (although comparing to baten kaitos it certainly is an advance). Nintendo funda what they want to.

Well, i will still get it.

YSO predictions

Week 52, 2015 (Dec 21 - Dec 27)

01. [3DS] Monster Hunter X < 250k (average 185k)
02. [3DS] Monster Strike < 200k (average 160k)
03. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters < 150k (average 120k)

00. [PSV] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs-Force < 130k (average 90k)
00. [WIU] Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem < 35k (average 30k)

Thats what I expected from #FE. Project was a mess not sure about the game though but I don't like the pandering.

With SMTIV:Final, I wonder if we're going to see SMTV on anything other than the NX.

PS4. I can Atlus wanting to get in on that Persona fanbase.

Type 0 launched over 200k in the US. I don't think Xenoblade is going to hit that. Then there's Bloodborne
if it counts as a JRPG.

Well its a Japanese RPG :)
Bloodborne did 375k iirc

Sterok

I'm still amazed at what happened with the Wii U JRPGs. It got 3 of them of note, and all of them are completely different. Dragon Quest X is an MMO. Xenoblade Chronicles X is a more western friendly open-world with mechs. #FE seems a bit more traditional along with being very Japanese and idols. At least with the platformer saturation it theoretically shouldn't be too hard to get fans of one interested in the other. With the JRPGs it's very possible to like one but have no interest in any other, leading to people not even bothering getting the console if they don't want it for only one game.

Prelude.

Someone needs to make a "Minecraft Wii U e-shop ranking" twitter account, I don't think I'm being informed well enough on how it's performing, I need a detailed report at least every 30 minutes.

sense

Time to turn the tables on the every 3rd party Japanese ps4 game will be on nx notion!! Time to guess obvious nx titles that will also come to ps4 to even the scales :)

Etrian odyssey, smtv, mh stories, mhx, yokai watch, ace attorney, etc...
this should be enough to ruffle some feathers for now

Dee Dee

Someone needs to make a "Minecraft Wii U e-shop ranking" twitter account, I don't think I'm being informed well enough on how it's performing, I need a detailed report at least every 30 minutes.

lol, don't fret, it will be No 1 before Christmas, then you will not hear of it again until we get monthly download number updates. Don't push it into meme territory so hard, it will stick longer because of that.
It seems to sell slower than the more optimistic predictions, but it's Minecraft, so whatever.

They should just drop a bundle with Minecraft pre-installed, but I don't think third-party games are realistically going to be bundled with a Nintendo home console.

#FE seems to be on par with what more popular otaku bait titles do in Vita. I think it doesn't offer a unique game experience once you see past the colorful idol setting - and there are much more attractive types of games if you are a japanese gamer who likes idols, so why would they want this one? I am baffled why they would position the title the way they did. They took two series with very specific gameplay that attracts hardcore gamers, and decided to spice it up and make it more colorful to sell it to.... whom?
I don't know the Persona series well enough, but I guess they wanted something similar, where they make a spinoff which attracts players with less of an affinity for dungeon crawler or SRPGs - no idea how they thought they could make that work with idols and weird arena fights. The game looks a tad generic, to be frank.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Time to turn the tables on the every 3rd party Japanese ps4 game will be on nx notion!! Time to guess obvious nx titles that will also come to ps4 to even the scales :)

Etrian odyssey, smtv, mh stories, mhx, yokai watch, ace attorney, etc...
this should be enough to ruffle some feathers for now

#FE would be a hit on PS4, but they'd need to prime the pump first with ports of FE:Awakening HD and FE: Fates HD.

Vena

I don't think this is the same fanbase, so this is a strange statement to make. They will chase the Persona audience as they have done, with Persona spin-offs.

Also... who is this Persona fanbase? The game hasn't launched.

FluxWaveZ

I don't know, looks like Persona 3/4 taken to logical extremes. It kinda depends on how they market it out west.

In the wake of Genei Ibun Roku #FE's poor sales in Japan, I have to once again disagree with this. Persona and #FE are very different from an aesthetic and conceptual point of view, which is enough to fundamentally disassociate the two series. People who somehow make Persona and #FE to be equivalent are disregarding this, when most who would be buying the games wouldn't.

The idea that GIR #FE can somehow find a way to be really successful in the West is out there; it doesn't just come down to the marketing in this game's case, unless it involves showing very little of the game itself.

Ready to bet SMTV is going to NX though, but we already had this discussion countless times.

I think it very much depends on the type of game SMTV is and the scope of the project.

YSO predictions

Monsters and Yo-kai still ruling the place as expected
ouch for #FE if true. Not that unexpected but still.. Both Splatoon and Mario Maker might outsell it at launch.

Mory Dunz

^
giphy.gif

hey it's my gif....I think.

edit:
nvm, mine looked a bit different

Monsters and Yo-kai still ruling the place as expected
ouch for #FE if true. Not that unexpected but still.. Both Splatoon and Mario Maker might outsell it at launch.

need an image of an Inkling splatting whoever the main character of #FE is while Mario laughs in the background

I was more thinking of Tsubasa and co looking at the idol / music charts, seeing Callie and Marie above them and getting really depressed about it.
I guess you can add Mario's "game over" theme above them too.

actually this is much better (and fits the theme)

In the wake of Genei Ibun Roku #FE's poor sales in Japan, I have to once again disagree with this. Persona and #FE are very different from an aesthetic and conceptual point of view, which is enough to fundamentally disassociate the two series. People who somehow make Persona and #FE to be equivalent are disregarding this, when most who would be buying the games wouldn't.

The idea that GIR #FE can somehow find a way to be really successful in the West is out there; it doesn't just come down to the marketing in this game's case, unless it involves showing very little of the game itself.

I think it very much depends on the type of game SMTV is and the scope of the project.
Thank you for this post, I've been disliking all the Persona comparisons since the first trailer but I definitely don't think this looks like it'd appeal to me in the same way as Persona at all. There's way more to the appeal than "Japanese high school students and monster summoning"

need an image of an Inkling splatting whoever the main character of #FE is while Mario laughs in the background

I was more thinking of Tsubasa and co looking at the idol / music charts, seeing Callie and Marie above them and getting really depressed about it.
I guess you can add Mario's "game over" theme above them too.

Mory Dunz

YSO predictions

sheesh, yokai is going crazy.

lol at FE#.

Have some christmas legs M&L please.

This is a good point for sure. But I am also curious that is there any historical data to suggest that Nintendo consoles can sell RPGs? If NX is getting DQXI and FFVII: Remake, can it even sell comparable to PS4? The Wii was super popular yet Tales of Grace on PS3 outsold the Wii version easily.

There is no doubt that these RPGs do well on Nintendo handhelds, but definitely not on their consoles. Wii had games like XBX, The Last Story, Tales of Grace etc and yet they didn't really do much better than Xbox 360.

I guess their more first party ones do better. Well, not first party. But like pkmn and mario rpgs.

NeonZ

#FE is such a weird production. Even the FE brand has little value to it considering how different all characters are there, and how they're supporting players to the main cast, basically making them unrecognizable. Then there's the oddly small cast selection in the first place.

Also, in spite of the long production schedule, it seems like they just keep teasing the same boss fights since the first trailer. The only scope they've shown is a large number of outfits and attacks.

Mory Dunz

Well, Colosseum nor Paper Mario did well, iirc.

But yeah, maybe games they are more involved in, could make better numbers.

I mean, all those jrpgs did over a million....which seems like an accomplishment for jrpgs nowadays.

Super Paper Mario did 4.23 million
Colloseum = 2.41 mil
XD Gale = 1.42 mil
Battle Revolution = 1.95 mil
TTYD = 1.91 mil
Paper Mario 64 = 1.37 mil

Then the pokmon stadiums for 64...if those count. There isn't an RPG game mode though.

and more....link's here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700

so yea compared to other console JRPGs, those are pretty decent numbers sadly...

Mory Dunz

&#332;kami;190030038 said:
There is an RPG fanbase on Nintendo home consoles in the west, the problem is the lack of it in Japan.

I'm not sure there is for anything not named Mario or Pokemon currently.

Did FF Bearers or Crystal Chronicales, or Baten Kaitos, etc even do well in the west, not the speak of japan?

sörine

Banned
I'm not sure there is for anything not named Mario or Pokemon currently.

Did FF Bearers or Crystal Chronicales, or Baten Kaitos, etc even do well in the west, not the speak of japan?
Tales of Symphonia did over 400k in the US alone. The budget sequel/spinoff also did well on Wii.

horuhe

I mean, all those jrpgs did over a million....which seems like an accomplishment for jrpgs nowadays.

Super Paper Mario did 4.23 million
Colloseum = 2.41 mil
XD Gale = 1.42 mil
Battle Revolution = 1.95 mil
TTYD = 1.91 mil
Paper Mario 64 = 1.37 mil

Then the pokmon stadiums for 64...if those count. There isn't an RPG game mode though.

and more....link's here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700

so yea compared to other console JRPGs, those are pretty decent numbers sadly...

I was talking about Japan sales, but looking at those numbers, are quite good. In the west there is not too much space for JRPGs, so I was more interested in those games numbers in Japan. And at the end of the day, the clue is what Okami said, the net sales are good, there is fanbase but no interest from third parties at all.

Yeah that's why Japanese wii u owners are the worse.
They only buy Splatoon, smash, and Mario kart.
For some reason they think a wii u is justified by only 3 games.
Good for them I guess.

Ōkami

I was having a discussion with a friend about how Nintendo should've tried to get RPG makers on board with the Wii early on.

For instance, they should've pushed Square to Final Fantasy XII on the system at launch (without delaying the PS2 version), as well as that they should've tried to get the Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories remake as well, that came out on the PS2 in March 2007; technical limitations weren't a problem for those games, of course I'm not suggesting them getting FF XIII but having some RPG fanbase could've helped them in the long run.

As well as that giving the new audience the Wii had getting late ports could've been beneficial, Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy X, etc. As well as their own RPGs, collaborations like The Last Story should've been there from the beggining not way late in the systems life.

It's pretty clear why they didn't though, things could not have been better for them so they disregarded third parties and just kept doing their thing.

Mory Dunz

sörine;190030790 said:
Tales of Symphonia did over 400k in the US alone. The budget sequel/spinoff also did well on Wii.
Oh yeah, forgot about tales

I was talking about Japan sales, but looking at those numbers, are quite good. In the west there is not too much space for JRPGs, so I was more interested in those games numbers in Japan. And at the end of the day, the clue is what Okami said, the net sales are good, there is fanbase but no interest from third parties at all.

Oh yeah, most of these probably didn't do great in japan.
Yeah, they don't seem to get must interest from the "major" third party JRPGs as recent

&#332;kami;190031760 said:
I was having a discussion with a friend about how Nintendo should've tried to get RPG makers on board with the Wii early on.

For instance, they should've pushed Square to Final Fantasy XII on the system at launch (without delaying the PS2 version), as well as that they should've tried to get the Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories remake as well, that came out on the PS2 in March 2007; technical limitations weren't a problem for those games, of course I'm not suggesting them getting FF XIII but having some RPG fanbase could've helped them in the long run.

As well as that giving the new audience the Wii had getting late ports could've been beneficial, Dragon Quest VIII, Final Fantasy X, etc. As well as their own RPGs, collaborations like The Last Story should've been there from the beggining not way late in the systems life.

It's pretty clear why they didn't though, things could not have been better for them so they disregarded third parties and just kept doing their thing.

Are JRPGs even a worthwhile investment? For home consoles?

Xbox went hard for them last gen and failed. I'm not saying that's indicative for Nintendo, but is it even a lucractive market? For handhelds, sure.

But outside of the big ones for home consoles, there's just not much potential there imo.
Then again, if they did cultivate it, games like Xeno, Last Story, FE# etc would do better. Almost makes you wonder why these games are greenlit lol...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Square Enix was too busy finding its way through the desert and making money on DS to worry about Wii. Namco did try, and sort of succeeded but also heavily messed up TOG. Marvelous tried a few times. Capcom largely didn't make RPGs that generation. Nippon Ichi actually did try the hey, we've got some PS2 games we could quickly port route, though I think they tried the wrong games in a lot of cases.

Ōkami

Are JRPGs even a worthwhile investment? For home consoles?

Xbox went hard for them last gen and failed. I'm not saying that's indicative for Nintendo, but is it even a lucractive market? For handhelds, sure.

But outside of the big ones for home consoles, there's just not much potential there imo.
Then again, if they did cultivate it, games like Xeno, Last Story, FE# etc would do better. Almost makes you wonder why these games are greenlit lol...
RPGs were definetly worth the investment in 2006-2008 which is what I'm talking about.

And well, the 360 didn't sell 12.7m units, there's that as well, DS was more lucrative of course which is why I said Nintendo should've been the ones to approach third parties like

"Hey, our new console is selling like the ones that have Famicom in their name, let's make some RPGs for it"

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 51 2015

01./00. [3DS] Monster Strike <RPG> (Mixi)
02./01. [3DS] Monster Hunter X <ACT> (Capcom)
03./00. [PS4] Fallout 4 <RPG> (Bethesda Softworks)
04./07. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo)
05./00. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games)
06./09. [3DS] Disney Magic World 2: My Happy Life <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games)
07./00. [PSV] Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft)
08./04. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam <RPG> (Nintendo)
09./00. [PS4] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games)
10./08. [WIU] Super Mario Maker <ETC> (Nintendo)
11./00. [PSV] Miracle Girls Festival <ACT> (Sega)
12./11. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5)
13./00. [PS4] Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft)
14./13. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team <ACT> (Level 5)
15./12. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
16./21. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer <ETC> (Nintendo)
17./23. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo)
18./00. [PSV] Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition <FTG> (Sega)
19./20. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Omise Hajimerundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia)
20./03. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege <ADV> (Ubisoft)

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Yeah, overall, I think a lot of Nintendo's moves in terms of bringing "doomed" titles all the way to market is that they want to assure both their direct partners and other publishers that they will try and support their products if they're interested in showing up next time.

It says a lot about their commitment to Wii U owners too. They can re-release it on NX if that's more viable. It was smart to not simply cut their losses and cause distrust to develop towards Nintendo from both publishers and consumers. The lack of too much advertising implies a lack of faith in the game selling but they'll still fund and release games like that to appeal to their core. I doubt we've seen the last of #FE, a port could easily happen.

So, unless I read that wrong (still a bit sleepy...), Monster Strike shipped 1m units? Isn't that... a tad too much? And that's shipments by Dec. 18 apparently.

http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201512210053/
It is correct and this is for Japan+Asia and includes digital.

The 3DS Monster Strike game, which launched in Japan this Thursday, December 17, has shipped over one million units as of December 18, publisher XFlag announced.

XFlag notes that this number includes both Japan and Asia, as well as download card and Nintendo eShop sales.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/12/monster-strike-3ds-ships-one-million-two-days#z4iSgofbsouCvzyc.99

I'm going to be salty AF if #FE's abysmal performance sours business between Nintendo and Atlus. The fantastic 3DS support needs to be carried forward to NX.

I don't think this is the same fanbase, so this is a strange statement to make. They will chase the Persona audience as they have done, with Persona spin-offs.

Also... who is this Persona fanbase? The game hasn't launched.
There is a SMT fanbase on PS3, even if the series shifted to DS/3DS after PS2. The fanbase might not overlap with the Persona one but it exists. SMT games were also available as PS2 Classics on PS3 in Japan and the West and were regularly a part of the weekly sales.

I don't see any reason to assume a SMT game won't sell on PS4. I am not saying it will be exclusive but I do expect NX/PS4 as the focus of the series going forward.

I'm going to be salty AF if #FE's abysmal performance sours business between Nintendo and Atlus. The fantastic 3DS support needs to be carried forward to NX.
Atlus is NOT supporting 3DS. They are under no obligation to do so. Their franchise fanbase exists on the 3DS coming off from DS. Etrian Odyssey and SMT were all released on DS and carried into 3DS. Just like Persona remained on PS platforms. SMT and Etrian Odyssey remained on Nintendho handhelds. But I am not holding my breath for seeing this continue for NX.

We know nothing about the NX portable yet you seem so certain that it won't be able to run games developed for current gen consoles/engines. If PS Vita can share it's library with a bunch of Japanese PS4 titles I don't think it's a stretch to think that a portable released 4 years later will be able to handle some downports as well. Games running on Full HD are way more demanding than having to render them in 540p with adjusted the textures and effects.

Let's see what will be shown next year.
All we need to know is the NX will be a handheld from Nintendo. If you think they will create a handheld that will be powerful enough to be worthy of being called a PS3.5, then you are wrong. I don't see Nintendo releasing such a handheld anytime soon, especially given how risky the market is right now to handhelds.

FFVII: R and DQXI are both "open world" RPGs and are not limited in scope. There is no way any handheld can run them anytime soon. Downporting and optimization is not easier and will always require significant investment.

duckroll

Why would it sour anything? Atlus will continue funding and producing games which sell on whatever platform they deem fit. If first parties want to pay them to make bombas, they'll be happy to do it too. A project is a project. The only thing it would "sour" is that Nintendo might not be keen to have a personal stake in such core collaborations in future. No real loss though.

Top Bottom