• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2015 (Dec 07 - Dec 13)

L~A

So about that Yu-Gi-Oh announcement at JF 2016, there really is three different games.

- Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Links for smartphones (Spring)
- Yu-Gi-Oh (no title) for Nintendo 3DS (Summer)
- Yu-Gi-Oh (no title) for PC (online game, winter)

I'm going to be salty AF if #FE's abysmal performance sours business between Nintendo and Atlus. The fantastic 3DS support needs to be carried forward to NX.

It won't .

If Other M+ Sengoku Musou 3's sales couldn't sour things between Koei and Nintendo, #Fe's sales won't either.

Atlus is NOT supporting 3DS. They are under no obligation to do so. Their franchise fanbase exists on the 3DS coming off from DS. Etrian Odyssey and SMT were all released on DS and carried into 3DS. Just like Persona remained on PS platforms. SMT and Etrian Odyssey remained on Nintendho handhelds. But I am not holding my breath for seeing this continue for NX.

3DS has been the platform where Atlus developed the most since 2011.

Sandfox

There is a SMT fanbase on PS3, even if the series shifted to DS/3DS after PS2. The fanbase might not overlap with the Persona one but it exists. SMT games were also available as PS2 Classics on PS3 in Japan and the West and were regularly a part of the weekly sales.

I don't see any reason to assume a SMT game won't sell on PS4. I am not saying it will be exclusive but I do expect NX/PS4 as the focus of the series going forward.

While I think the game would sell decently enough Catherine and PS2 Classics doesn't really mean that the SMT audience is on PS3.

Also, we still need to find out how the NX works before saying that franchises being targeted at handhelds now will appear on the PS4.

Eolz

There is a SMT fanbase on PS3, even if the series shifted to DS/3DS after PS2. The fanbase might not overlap with the Persona one but it exists. SMT games were also available as PS2 Classics on PS3 in Japan and the West and were regularly a part of the weekly sales.

I don't see any reason to assume a SMT game won't sell on PS4. I am not saying it will be exclusive but I do expect NX/PS4 as the focus of the series going forward.

Atlus is NOT supporting 3DS. They are under no obligation to do so. Their franchise fanbase exists on the 3DS coming off from DS. Etrian Odyssey and SMT were all released on DS and carried into 3DS. Just like Persona remained on PS platforms. SMT and Etrian Odyssey remained on Nintendho handhelds. But I am not holding my breath for seeing this continue for NX.

All we need to know is the NX will be a handheld from Nintendo. If you think they will create a handheld that will be powerful enough to be worthy of being called a PS3.5, then you are wrong. I don't see Nintendo releasing such a handheld anytime soon, especially given how risky the market is right now to handhelds.

FFVII: R and DQXI are both "open world" RPGs and are not limited in scope. There is no way any handheld can run them anytime soon. Downporting and optimization is not easier and will always require significant investment.

You think SMT and Etrian Odyssey won't be on Nintendo consoles anymore? That makes no sense.
Even less than saying that Atlus isn't supporting the 3DS, even if you mean that they don't really want this platform to succeed (what?).

For the handheld, 3DS was more powerful than the PSP, the new one will likely be more powerful than the Vita, which wouldn't be too hard with regular chips nowadays.
Even if I don't see VIIR getting a port due to the graphics focus and combat system, never say never for DQXI until we get more infos on the hardware. It could be ported, and has a different design philosophy.
Not sure why we're even talking about this now anyway when people are talking about NX console ports for those games. NX handheld is about games where crossplatform (inter-NX) would make sense (like nintendo games, a MonHun HD, etc).

3DS has been the platform where Atlus developed the most since 2011.
Considering the only mainline Persona games that they released were P4: Golden and now Persona 5, do you find this surprising?

While I think the game would sell decently enough Catherine and PS2 Classics doesn't really mean that the SMT audience is on PS3.

Also, we still need to find out how the NX works before saying that franchises being targeted at handhelds now will appear on the PS4.
SMT was on consoles in the past so I don't see why it won't return there again. It is not like the game had massive success on handhelds like Monster Hunter. It is pretty much a good fit for consoles as well.

You think SMT and Etrian Odyssey won't be on Nintendo consoles anymore? That makes no sense.
Even less than saying that Atlus isn't supporting the 3DS, even if you mean that they don't really want this platform to succeed (what?).

For the handheld, 3DS was more powerful than the PSP, the new one will likely be more powerful than the Vita, which wouldn't be too hard with regular chips nowadays.
Even if I don't see VIIR getting a port due to the graphics focus and combat system, never say never for DQXI until we get more infos on the hardware. It could be ported, and has a different design philosophy.
Not sure why we're even talking about this now anyway when people are talking about NX console ports for those games. NX handheld is about games where crossplatform (inter-NX) would make sense (like nintendo games, a MonHun HD, etc).
Where did I say SMT/EO won't be on Nintendo plarforms? But I expect them to go multiplatform instead of still remaining exclusive as Japanese market is slowly shrinking these days.

I have already said that a downport requires significant investment from the developers. The dwindling market of the handhelds in the West aren't exactly making it easier for them. If they build games for PS4, they can easily port it to other platforms including Steam. You can't say the same for the handheld version.

Nothing prevented Atlus to develop other IPs and games on other platforms, though.
Duckroll has already said they were developing games for the platform that had the audience for the particular franchise.

Persona = PS platforms
SMT/EO = 3DS

I don't think there is anything to be said here. It took them years just to make Persona 5 so they are not exactly a big budget studio with hundreds of staff.

Kid Ying

Also remember how a late DQX port using a streaming app sold 150k+ units on 3DS.
Yeah, but i disagree with this notion that nintendo will port everything to the nx. Sometimes, why even bother? DQX is from a hell of a big series and some might argue that the wii wasn't the best choice for it due to lack of fanbase, poor online and stuff, Still, the game sold more than 600k on the wii, it's the best selling mmorpg on japan ever and none of it's ports sold even half as much (although it seems they all did well).

Xenoblade the same case. The original one was called one of the best rpgs of the last generation and sold 200k on the wii. When it was ported for a system with a lot of success story on rpgs and all, it took it's time to... Sell less than Xeno wii opening week (and by this time the new 3ds userbase was already above a million).

So, if #FE ends up selling 50k or something like that, what are we expecting it's nx port sales to be? 10k? Specially for such a game that is not hors councours like the ones above. Sometimes it's not worth the investiment.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

That's not considered support because it started on the DS? And why won't they continue?

Why would it sour anything? Atlus will continue funding and producing games which sell on whatever platform they deem fit. If first parties want to pay them to make bombas, they'll be happy to do it too. A project is a project. The only thing it would "sour" is that Nintendo might not be keen to have a personal stake in such core collaborations in future. No real loss though.

Exactly, I doubt we'll see another #FE and that's fine. But it shouldn't change what Atlus wants to make.

And hopefully Nintendo does the smart thing and doesn't cut all ties just because of #FE.

I wonder what's going on with EO5.

SMT was on consoles in the past so I don't see why it won't return there again. It is not like the game had massive success on handhelds like Monster Hunter. It is pretty much a good fit for consoles as well.
While not massive, SMT4 is the best selling entry in the series, not just in Japan but worldwide too.

That's not considered support because it started on the DS? And why won't they continue?
By continue, I meant they won't be exclusive anymore. Not that they will stop developing for NX or whatever it is.

While not massive, SMT4 is the best selling entry in the series, not just in Japan but worldwide too.
And your point is? Persona 4: Golden was also the best selling entry in the series, not just in Japan, but worldwide. Yet Persona 5 is on PS3/PS4 and the only other Persona game that Atlus released was P4: DAN.

Yeah, but i disagree with this notion that nintendo will port everything to the nx. Sometimes, why even bother? DQX is from a hell of a big series and some might argue that the wii wasn't the best choice for it due to lack of fanbase, poor online and stuff, Still, the game sold more than 600k on the wii, it's the best selling mmorpg on japan ever and none of it's ports sold even half as much (although it seems they all did well).

Never expressed something like that - I prefer waiting some more information about what NX will be like, and I find a bit annoying people saying that everything will be ported to NX sooner or later. That said, Atlus has an history of porting games on newer platforms through enhanced porting (Devil Survivor, Persona) or remakes (Etrian Odyssey); #FE would totally fit better on a Nintendo handheld given how FE is popular there.

Duckroll has already said they were developing games for the platform that had the audience for the particular franchise.

Persona = PS platforms
SMT/EO = 3DS

I don't think there is anything to be said here. It took them years just to make Persona 5 so they are not exactly a big budget studio with hundreds of staff.

So Atlus is supporting 3DS...?

jj984jj

By continue, I meant they won't be exclusive anymore. Not that they will stop developing for NX or whatever it is.

For some reason you think those are the titles that will go multiplatform? The low-budget titles with the smaller teams and more limited resources are going to aim for cross-platform development? All while the only team that has made a cross-platform title with Catherine and probably does have the resources to handle additional SKUs will remain exclusive?

Kid Ying

Never expressed something like that - I prefer waiting some more information about what NX will be like, and I find a bit annoying people saying that everything will be ported to NX sooner or later. That said, Atlus has an history of porting games on newer platforms through enhanced porting (Devil Survivor, Persona) or remakes (Etrian Odyssey); #FE would totally fit better on a Nintendo handheld given how FE is popular there.
Wasn't talking about you. :) Just quoted your post because it's a success story of a game being ported, but the sales are still much less than the original. It's just a sentiment that i've seem echoed here and in other threads, that even if the game bombs, nintendo will just port the game for a different system and all will be okay. They might port stuff, but the people expecting to see another chance for stuff like W101 and #Fe are up for some disappointment. Even an X port is not a certainty. It's not like the game did much worse than the original one in Japan.There's a precedent, but the port didn't lit anything on fire and didn't bring a new audience for the game.

So Atlus supported 3DS...?
Did you miss the next sentence after it?

Atlus is NOT supporting 3DS. They are under no obligation to do so.

This was in a response to a comment stating that Nintendo and Atlus had a business relationship. Which isn't the case based on what they have released so far.

They aren't supporting 3DS because they have to DO so. They just released games on the platform which will sell for them. P4: DAN is Vita exclusive. Same for P4: Golden. P5 is on PS3/PS4. P4: Ultimax was on PS3/360. Catherine was PS3/360. Is it clear now?

People also talk about how SE supports PS4/Vita but I consider them a gateway to other platforms. PS4 port means an easy port down the line for PC. Vita means easy port for the Smartphones. I expect the currently announced games to be ported to other platforms later. I don't expect them to remain exclusives.

For some reason you think those are the titles that will go multiplatform? The low-budget titles with the smaller teams and more limited resources are going to aim for cross-platform development? All while the only team that has made a cross-platform title with Catherine and probably does have the resources to handle additional SKUs will remain exclusive?
If they need to survive in the market, absolutely.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
All we need to know is the NX will be a handheld from Nintendo. If you think they will create a handheld that will be powerful enough to be worthy of being called a PS3.5, then you are wrong. I don't see Nintendo releasing such a handheld anytime soon, especially given how risky the market is right now to handhelds.

FFVII: R and DQXI are both "open world" RPGs and are not limited in scope. There is no way any handheld can run them anytime soon. Downporting and optimization is not easier and will always require significant investment.

Hell even the n3DS can run Xenoblade you really think that episodic FF7R will be more Open World than Xenoblade ? Please...

And you dont seem to understand how much less taxing its is to run these current gen games on lower resolutions. The difference is huge and games would still look relative good thanks to the smaller screen. I dont even know where that PS 3.5 is coming from... "downporting and optimization is not easier" ...compared to what ?

This was in a response to a comment stating that Nintendo and Atlus had a business relationship. Which isn't the case based on what they have released so far.

They aren't supporting 3DS because they have to DO so. They just released games on the platform which will sell for them. P4: DAN is Vita exclusive. Same for P4: Golden. P5 is on PS3/PS4. P4: Ultimax was on PS3/360. Catherine was PS3/360. Is it clear now?

So you are saying that Atlus developing a first Party Title for Nintendo and 70% of their games being on 3DS this gen doesnt mean they have a business relationship ? Wut ? I think you are mixing up relations with some kind of forced contract they have to fulfill, otherwise your post makes no sense.

Cant be an Atlus fan this gen and not owning a 3DS.

Sandfox

Consoles are in a completely different situation now so I would expect SMT and EO to stay focused on handheld and depending on how the NX works I could see console versions. These games seem like a better fit for handhelds to me when you look at the direction the console market has gone.

Did you miss the next sentence after it?

Of course they don't have any obligation to develop games on whichever platforms. Indeed, Atlus chose to support 3DS the most because it's there where the fanbase of most of its IPs is.

Wasn't talking about you. :) Just quoted your post because it's a success story of a game being ported, but the sales are still much less than the original. It's just a sentiment that i've seem echoed here and in other threads, that even if the game bombs, nintendo will just port the game for a different system and all will be okay. They might port stuff, but the people expecting to see another chance for stuff like W101 and #Fe are up for some disappointment. Even an X port is not a certainty. It's not like the game did much worse than the original one in Japan.There's a precedent, but the port didn't lit anything on fire and didn't bring a new audience for the game.

The difference between W101 and #FE is that the former would be DOA everywhere else while the latter has at least some chance to have a wider appeal on other platforms. So it should be a case-by-case analysis.

It seems I should have worded that comment as "discourages Atlus from supporting Nintendo hardware" rather than "sours business between Atlus and Nintendo."

What I meant was that my jimmies would be rustled if Atlus is scared off the platform. It's too late for Wii U anyway, but I want to see them develop for Nintendo home console again in the future.

The limitation on handheld power is not getting a sufficiently powerful CPU/GPU into the form factor, but rather the heat/power consumption issues that running one above a certain level raises. There is a reason even the Vita CPU is under-clocked, and most phones(and even laptops) are set to heavily throttle performence if heat rises beyond a certain point. You really do not want the form factor of the Sega Nomad/Game Gear along with its battery life, especially when matched with a price around $350?

Quite simply, on the price/form factor nexus, there is no way to get something at the size of the N3DSXL, much less the normal one, which has a GPU capable of running major PC/Console titles at even minimal settings, at a power envelope less than 10% of that of the PS4, which is a bit above where the N3DSXL is.

Nintendo has always gone for usability over power. I do not think they will risk having a system with theoretically high specs only to have users suffer sub 10FPS performence after 20 minutes of use when the thing begins throttling itself.

I suspect we get something along the lines of a specialized mobile card. For an idea of that take a look at the MT760 which in the Note 5. This may be above what we are getting price-wise, but seems a good ceiling.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ARM-Mali-T760-MP4.148383.0.html

The closest laptop card they have with benchmarks is the Intel HD Graphics 4200

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html

If you look at the benchmarks list, it can run Diablo 3 and FIFA at minimum settings, and if paired with a strong processor it can get to 20 FPS or so in Skyrim(implying that with a lot of optimization it might be able to get close to 30 FPS on say a 540p display). But if you want to avoid that sort of specific optimization, which is kind of the point of unified architecture, you are probably going to have a lot of the same issues as the Vita with multiplats and ports, namely that they will run with erratic framerights do to throttled performence.

Hell even the n3DS can run Xenoblade you really think that episodic FF7R will be more Open World than Xenoblade ? Please...

And you dont seem to understand how much less taxing its is to run these current gen games on lower resolutions. The difference is huge and games would still look relative good thanks to the smaller screen. I dont even know where that PS 3.5 is coming from... "downporting and optimization is not easier" ...compared to what ?
That's cute :D

You obviously don't understand the complexity of game development. It is not just about lowering the resolution. That's just now how it works at all. But I guess that's what you think, but I am sorry to say that you are wrong. That's all.

PS3.5 comment was simply related to PS2.5 and PS3.5 comments for PSP/Vita, that we have seen people compare them w.r.t hardware.

So you are saying that Atlus developing a first Party Title for Nintendo and 70% of their games being on 3DS this gen doesnt mean they have a business relationship ? Wut ? I think you are mixing up relations with some kind of forced contract they have to fulfill, otherwise your post makes no sense.

Cant be an Atlus fan this gen and not owning a 3DS.
Platinum has made two Nintendo exclusives yet their other multiplatform games don't even get released on Nintendo platforms. Just because a company has hired you to develop exclusives doesn't mean you will start releasing games on their platform to offer support in return.

Atlus has their two major IPs on the 3DS this generation and it is not like they had a choice. They are pretty selective when it comes to releasing games on a platform targeting a particular audience. I have already listed examples.

Consoles are in a completely different situation now so I would expect SMT and EO to stay focused on handheld and depending on how the NX works I could see console versions. These games seem like a better fit for handhelds to me when you look at the direction the console market has gone.
EO, maybe? The series hasn't even hit its peak yet and it is extremely niche. I won't be surprised to see it dying the upcoming generation.

SMT, though, has the potential to grow and that won't happen if they restrict it to handhelds.

Of course they don't have any obligation to develop games on whichever platforms. Indeed, Atlus chose to support 3DS the most because it's there where the fanbase of most of its IPs is.
How many IPs were they even developing this generation?

jj984jj

If they need to survive in the market, absolutely.

I don't see your logic, so we'll have to disagree. Atlus is not a big company like Ubisoft or Namco, they don't see more SKUs as a safety net. Not when they're making these games them-selves. I doubt how that will change unless their new parent company interjects.

Looks like we might have a few more bombs this week:

http://store-tsutaya.tsite.jp/rank/game.html?r=W144

Angelique > Seraph of the End > MeiQ at Tsutaya. None of them on COMG.

Seraph I'm not surprised at - it looks cheap as hell. I'm surprised that Compile Heart gridder is doing so badly though.

Had MeiQ have any anticipation at all?

How many IPs were they even developing this generation?

EO, DS, SMT, Persona - all of which were released on 3DS (three of them exclusively on the platform). Plus Catherine, which came on PS3/360.

That's cute :D

You obviously don't understand the complexity of game development. It is not just about lowering the resolution. That's just now how it works at all. But I guess that's what you think, but I am sorry to say that you are wrong. That's all.

PS3.5 comment was simply related to PS2.5 and PS3.5 comments for PSP/Vita, that we have seen people compare them w.r.t hardware.

Generally

Resolution = GPU
Running at all = CPU

The NX handheld form will almost certainly have a separate GPU. The limitation on it will not be power per se, but rather TDP, as Nintendo will likely want to keep the CPU+GPU below 20 max, and ideally around 15 or so. And that is still quite a bit higher than they did with the 3DS.

I don't see your logic, so we'll have to disagree. Atlus is not a big company like Ubisoft or Namco, they don't see more SKUs as a safety net. Not when they're making these games them-selves. I doubt how that will change unless their new parent company interjects.
Atlus is now a part of Sega Sammy. They are not the same independent small scale developer that they used to be anymore.

EO, DS, SMT, Persona - all of which were released on 3DS (three of them exclusively on the platform). Plus Catherine, which came on PS3/360.
Persona Q was just an EO reskin.

Is DS a separate IP though? Always assumed it was a SMT spin-off. Not sure why you have listed it as separate IP.

So out of the 3 IPs (excluding Catherine), 2 of them were on 3DS, which explains the support. That was my point which you just proved.

Generally

Resolution = GPU
Running at all = CPU

The NX handheld form will almost certainly have a separate GPU. The limitation on it will not be power per se, but rather TDP, as Nintendo will likely want to keep the CPU+GPU below 20 max, and ideally around 15 or so. And that is still quite a bit higher than they did with the 3DS.
Nintendo are always several steps backward when it comes to hardware. They won't risk creating a powerful handheld considering the state of the market. A powerful hardware wouldn't have saved the Wii U, and it certainly didn't save the N64 or GameCube. I expect them to play it safe with their handheld and going for a hardware that is cheap entry point as well as good for usual Nintendo/Third Party releases with modest budget.

Sandfox

EO, maybe? The series hasn't even hit its peak yet and it is extremely niche. I won't be surprised to see it dying the upcoming generation.

SMT, though, has the potential to grow and that won't happen if they restrict it to handhelds.
I don't agree, but this back and forth is pointless.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't get why, if NX is a direct successor of the most successful console in Japan (aka the 3DS) in an environment where portable gaming still is significantly powerful, we should see 3DS IPs going multiplat from NX to PS4, but not viceversa.
Is that just for the downgrade theory? because, if the NX portable will be powerful as the Wii U or similar, I think it's pretty fair to expect Japanese games to be on par on NX and PS4, considering how Japanese games doesn't seem to push the HW limits with the very few expections (not discussed in this matter), especially looking how Sony itself guided the transistion with PS3/Vita/4 with many shared assets/development tools/releases.

And remember that I was the one whining against the "obvious NX port" trend, last week in this MC thread.

hiska-kun

It's official now, Splatoon Bundle is sold out (forever). It was a limited print, and it won't be restocked again.

Sold out in Bic Camera and Yodobashi Camera. Other stores are selling their last units.

I guess Nintendo's plan was to sell the bundle the whole holiday season, but it ran out earlier than expected.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's official now, Splatoon Bundle is sold out (forever). It was a limited print, and it won't be restocked again.

Sold out in Bic Camera and Yodobashi Camera. Other stores are selling their last units.

I guess Nintendo's plan was to sell the bundle the whole holiday season, but it ran out early than expected.

will this somehow help/support SMM sales from next week on?

random25

I guess Nintendo's plan was to sell the bundle the whole holiday season, but it ran out earlier than expected.

That was fast.

jj984jj

Atlus is now a part of Sega Sammy. They are not the same independent small scale developer that they used to be anymore.

I've been told that won't change things, but maybe you missed my last sentence where I said that if their parent does intervene things could change. Maybe they'll go exactly as you seem to picture it with EO getting the ax and SMT going multiplat. I doubt it though.

It already has happened. Atlus pushed the SMT brand very heavily on the PS2 and it didn't get them anywhere.
They can always try again. Square Enix is doing that with Dragon Quest, why not Atlus?

I don't get why, if NX is a direct successor of the most successful console in Japan (aka the 3DS) in an environment where portable gaming still is significantly powerful, we should see 3DS IPs going multiplat from NX to PS4, but not viceversa.
Is that just for the downgrade theory? because, if the NX portable will be powerful as the Wii U or similar, I think it's pretty fair to expect Japanese games to be on par on NX and PS4, considering how Japanese games doesn't seem to push the HW limits with the very few expections (not discussed in this matter), especially looking how Sony itself guided the transistion with PS3/Vita/4 with many shared assets/development tools/releases.

And remember that I was the one whining against the "obvious NX port" trend, last week in this MC thread.
Which PS4 games will fit for the NX though, if it is a handheld? The bigger ones, I already expect to remain on NX, like MonHun, Pokemon and Yo-kai Watch.

People are talking about FFVII: R which sounds crazy to me because if NX is a handheld, I don't see it. Same applies to the PS4 version of DQXI. A game like Project Setsuna and WoFF will likely end up on NX. Basically any of the Vita/PS4 release should be plausible but not something like FFVII: R and DQXI. I only listed them because they are the ones that are brought into discussion when it comes to NX.

If it was not clear before, I am talking about NX as a handheld, not a console. Because lets face it, if NX is a console, it is already dead in Japan.

Alrus

I don't see why you would think that as SMTIV was the highest selling mainline SMT game and it was a handheld exclusive. We've seen previously console only series experience growth when the next entry released on a portable system too.

I guess Nintendo's plan was to sell the bundle the whole holiday season, but it ran out early than expected.

Splatoon IS really Wii U holiday game after all.

Persona Q was just an EO reskin.

Is DS a separate IP though? Always assumed it was a SMT spin-off. Not sure why you have listed it as separate IP.

So out of the 3 IPs (excluding Catherine), 2 of them were on 3DS, which explains the support. That was my point as well.

Persona Q carries the Persona IP, and DS is part of Megami Ibunroku SMT sub-series, which became its own (Persona was also part of Megami Ibunroku).

NeonZ

The numbers didn't explode like Monster Hunter, but SMTIV still performed better than Nocturne and the non-Persona SMT spin offs that Atlus released for the PS2. And that was with a game using sprites for combat, rather than 3d models with actual animation.

Even if they use Persona 5's engine and demon assets as a basis for future titles, don't forget that it's a PS3 game too...

I have already said that a downport requires significant investment from the developers. The dwindling market of the handhelds in the West aren't exactly making it easier for them. If they build games for PS4, they can easily port it to other platforms including Steam. You can't say the same for the handheld version.

If the NX portable and console are completely different environments, why were the devkits apparently being distributed together like reported before? The whole uniform branding suggested so far, and likely close launch, makes no sense if we're just looking at a Vita/PS4 situation (two completely different and unrelated consoles aside from carrying the same brand name). It wouldn't fix Nintendo's problems at all.

So out of the 3 IPs (excluding Catherine), 2 of them were on 3DS, which explains the support. That was my point which you just proved.

It's a separate IP in the same sense that Persona is. They reuse demon art and have systems inspired by main SMT titles (and DeSu1 also had a story close to mainline in some ways), but they don't actually use the SMT brand in Japan.

EO is not extremely niche - EOU and EOIV both sold 130k+ units. EO is characterized by an extremely faithful fanbase.

I don't see why you would think that as SMTIV was the highest selling mainline SMT game and it was a handheld exclusive. We've seen previously console only series experience growth when the next entry released on a portable system too.
Handhelds are dying in the West. 3DS is on its last leg and there is no guarantee the next handheld will match 3DS sales in the West. It can match it in Japan but Worldwide? Doubt it.

You think SMT V should be an NX exclusive? Will it be a wise move?

Had MeiQ have any anticipation at all?

I don't think so. It's a kind-of-successor to a game that only sold moderately well on Vita but at least had a little hype behind it (Makai Shin Trillion, aka had all the Disgaea 4 staff on it).

I just kinda thought Compile Heart games would at least have a built-in audience of a couple of tens of thousands on Vita. I suppose it could at least reach those numbers even charting as low as it has. It seems Tsutaya tend to rank games like this a bit lower than other retailers (i.e. COMG has Miracle Girls miles higher than Tsutaya do).

I don't think this is the same fanbase, so this is a strange statement to make. They will chase the Persona audience as they have done, with Persona spin-offs.

Also... who is this Persona fanbase? The game hasn't launched.

Persona 5 is going to be Atlus' best selling game of all time. No doubt. I'm sure Atlus already know it. The persona fan base will primarily be on PS4 and would be a massive fan base. There is definite overlap between SMT and Persona games so I would not be surprised if SMTV does make it to PS4.

Sandfox

Persona 5 is going to be Atlus' best selling game of all time. No doubt. I'm sure Atlus already know it. The persona fan base will primarily be on PS4 and would be a massive fan base. There is definite overlap between SMT and Persona games so I would not be surprised if SMTV does make it to PS4.

I'm not sure that's true to the extent you're implying. The overlap seems like it would be with the hardcore fans.

Alrus

Handhelds are dying in the West. 3DS is on its last leg and there is no guarantee the next handheld will match 3DS sales in the West. It can match it in Japan but Worldwide? Doubt it.

You think SMT V should be an NX exclusive? Will it be a wise move?

I don't think it should be exclusive but I disagree with the fact that being handheld exclusive would absolutely keep the series from growing.

Despite its mediocre performance in the west, the 3DS was still a very good platform for japanese franchises in the west. So while I don't think the NX will be as successful (although it's hard to say since we barely know anything about it), it's still possible that it'll be a good platform for that kind of game in the future.

I don't think it should be exclusive but I disagree with the fact that being handheld exclusive would absolutely keep the series from growing.

Despite its mediocre performance in the west, the 3DS was still a very good platform for japanese franchises in the west. So while I don't think the NX will be as successful (although it's hard to say since we barely know anything about it), it's still possible that it'll be a good platform for that kind of game in the future.

Given the NPD sales of October PS4 RPG I would tend to think the same way. SMTIV debuted in NPD at around 75k units and went to sell 600k units worldwide (eShop only in PAL countries).

Top Bottom