• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2015 (Dec 07 - Dec 13)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The new Idolmaster mobile game has now hit 10 million downloads in 3 months: http://gematsu.com/2015/12/the-idol...-stage-tops-10-million-downloads-three-months

Still making good money:

idol2suzvj.png

The only problem I see (and its a big problem) with the Vita evolving into a machine for a demographic is barely actually targets, is that no one is going to want to sacrifice their products to slowly build an audience (or try to do it). Minecraft is a a perfect storm of sorts in that its unavailable on the 3DS, the Vita is cheap, and its mobile. The same won't generally apply elsewhere, and all the same after Sony scorched the earth on the Vita, they're not going to be there to try and support or build a young demographic.

I was meaning more to test whether there's an overlap as a result of Minecraft having done what it has on the console, not for other games to "slowly build up an audience". I'm not expecting other, smaller titles to make the console worthwhile for a different demographic - mainly see whether that demographic is already there as a result of MC.

In other news, came across this on Twitter:

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8446112.html

Could only decipher bits of it with Google translate, but it seems NIS are focusing on 70% new titles next year, 30% existing IP's; IF/CH have 30 titles in development for Vita/PS4 (mostly otome I suspect)

sense

vita hasn't had a price cut in awhile right? can they cut the price to the equivalent of 150 dollars in q1 alongside the release of games like dqb, dqh2,attack on titan,gundam and world of ff to give it a boost for the next year?

Fdkn

vita hasn't had a price cut in awhile right? can they cut the price to the equivalent of 150 dollars in q1 alongside the release of games like dqb, dqh2,attack on titan,gundam and world of ff to give it a boost for the next year?

they could

they probably won't because, the same as wiiU, they aren't interesting in selling more of them if that means reducing their margins.

The timing for Youkai Watch 3, with the anime, is unfortunate and I also think we'll see a decline, but not rushing it and releasing it in 2016 in my opinion was the much better choice for the health of the IP. Monster Hunter and Pokemon also saw declines (Pokemon right away), but the franchises are in great shape. Well, Monster Hunter more than Pokemon maybe, relatively, as the Pokemon Company seems to have gotten a little complacent, but still great.

Growth is a vacuous term without reference. Going from 1 unit sold to 2 units sold is also growth.

Analogy is irrelevant as the PS3 and PS2 did not perform so atrociously that any relative growth would be meaningless. In fact considering, ow SCE, SE, SEGA and Falcom are all highlighting it shows the opposite.

Sandfox

Analogy is irrelevant as the PS3 and PS2 did not perform so atrociously that any relative growth would be meaningless. In fact considering, ow SCE, SE, SEGA and Falcom are all highlighting it shows the opposite.

The issue with that "graph" is that it doesn't tell use anything other than the fact that there was growth so its useless without any numbers. The analogy Vena used seems pretty accurate to me.

Vena

The analogy is relevant. Growth without context is an empty term and that graph is nothing short of empty PR spin that's not only sparring us from a Y-Axis but comparing completely different market times and market realities for consoles. If you want to actually discuss said growth in more quantifiable terms, we can turn to the numbers provided by Sorine in terms of relative market distributions.

Yes, a more penetrated market will show growth from a less penetrated one. This is effectively all the information contained in that graph. But it does nothing to tell us how much of increase that actually is, how relevant it is to a company's overall performance (looking at those provided percentages... it is currently very small), etc.

you didn't miss it ???

COMG beloved chart from December 22, 2015

01. [PSV] Kan Colle Kai (combined) - 216pt
02. [PSV] Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME VS FORCE - 108pt
03. [PS4] Yakuza HD - 39pt
04. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders - 31pt
05. [PSV] Odin Sphere HD - 29pt
06. [PS3] Yakuza HD - 28pt
07. PS4] Odin Sphere HD - 28pt
08. [3DS] Card Fight !! Vanguard G stride-to-Victory !! - 25pt
09. [PS4] Dragon Quest Builders - 24pt
10. [PS4] Dark Seoul 3 Shadow over Korea - 23pt
11. [PS4] Star Ocean 5 -Integrity and Faithlessness- - 12pt
12. [PS4] NARUTO- Naruto - Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - 12pt
13. [3DS] Zelda Musou - 11pt
14. [PS4] DEAD OR ALIVE Xtreme3 ​​(limited) - 10pt
15. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV FINAL - 10pt
16. [3DS] Haikyuu !! it's a volleyball game folks - 8pt
17. [PS4] Kamen Rider: Battride War (limited)- 8pt
18. [PSV] DEAD OR ALIVE Xtreme3 ​​(limited) - 8pt
19. [PS3] Star Ocean 5 -Integrity and Faithlessness- - 8pt

Niigata-ken is the new Sonyland

Eolz

DOAX3 rising! :eek:
When is Kancolle supposed to be released already? Didn't follow since the last delay, still thinking it'll sell lots for a vita game.

you didn't miss it ???

COMG beloved chart from December 22, 2015

01. [PSV] Kan Colle Kai (combined) - 216pt
02. [PSV] Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME VS FORCE - 108pt
03. [PS4] Yakuza HD - 39pt
04. [PSV] Dragon Quest Builders - 31pt
05. [PSV] Odin Sphere HD - 29pt
06. [PS3] Yakuza HD - 28pt
07. PS4] Odin Sphere HD - 28pt
08. [3DS] Card Fight !! Vanguard G stride-to-Victory !! - 25pt
09. [PS4] Dragon Quest Builders - 24pt
10. [PS4] Dark Seoul 3 Shadow over Korea - 23pt
11. [PS4] Star Ocean 5 -Integrity and Faithlessness- - 12pt
12. [PS4] NARUTO- Naruto - Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 - 12pt
13. [3DS] Zelda Musou - 11pt
14. [PS4] DEAD OR ALIVE Xtreme3 ​​(limited) - 10pt
15. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV FINAL - 10pt
16. [3DS] Haikyuu !! it's a volleyball game folks - 8pt
17. [PS4] Kamen Rider: Battride War (limited)- 8pt
18. [PSV] DEAD OR ALIVE Xtreme3 ​​(limited) - 8pt
19. [PS3] Star Ocean 5 -Integrity and Faithlessness- - 8pt

Niigata-ken is the new Sonyland

oh no I definitely didn't miss #FE's continued disappearance in the chart, but it's not worth posting about

Sage00

Once And Future Member
The new Idolmaster mobile game has now hit 10 million downloads in 3 months: http://gematsu.com/2015/12/the-idol...-stage-tops-10-million-downloads-three-months

Still making good money:
This could be doing better if the songs weren't all awful or if any of the Cinderella Girls had some semblance of a personality. They should be burying Love Live with the resources behind them but are fumbling badly. Deleted it yesterday.

Oh and it has frame drops on non-6S phones. Frame drops in a rhythm game..

Kid Ying

Speakinh of movies, I'm surprised squenix did not localize the Snoopy game to tie in with the movie. Maybe it would get some sales since its the holidays and people love Snoopy and stuff... And they even localized spider man 2 and transformers. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Also, to anyone who cares, minecraft is number 10 now. Now its after the big boys.

duckroll

Anyone knows what's happening with Gundam Extreme VS Force ? It's getting destroyed by japanese users on Amazon.

I heard it's a fake Gundam VS game. Instead of the multiplayer centric 2v2 arcade style game the series is known for, this is some weird single player centric spinoff with an AI teammate against AI opponents. It supports 2 players ad-hoc only, no online, and apparently the AI system requires lots of pausing to issue commands or whatever. Dumb product.

Kyoufu

I heard it's a fake Gundam VS game. Instead of the multiplayer centric 2v2 arcade style game the series is known for, this is some weird single player centric spinoff with an AI teammate against AI opponents. It supports 2 players ad-hoc only, no online, and apparently the AI system requires lots of pausing to issue commands or whatever. Dumb product.

It's actually being localised too, which is mind boggling.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
are we gonna see Monster strike debut later today, right?
any other significant data to look for, apart the Holiday bump and so on?

are we gonna see Monster strike debut later today, right?
any other significant data to look for, apart the Holiday bump and so on?

Numbers will be available tomorrow though because of a national holiday. Other interesting things are Splatoon increase, MHX with stock available, how much hw will rise across platform owners and, of course, Sumikko Gurashi legs.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

Splatoon's legs have gotten a lot of hype here in this thread but the Wii U in the Americas (perhaps just US, small chunk from Canada, tiny bit from Mexico, and no significant contribution outside NAFTA) has sold roughly double Japan in hardware and well over triple in software. The rest of the world combined is roughly comparable to Japan...

The big stars like Mario Kart or Splatoon will do well in Japan but even such a Japan-centric game such as this would be interesting to see.

Source for the sales breakdown:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/151028e.pdf

Could #FE sell more in North America than Japan? As Japanese as it is the Wii U audience in the Americas is larger and extremely dedicated to new software releases.

It'll be interesting to see how it fares in Japan given how bad it looks right now saleswise.

Anyone knows what's happening with Gundam Extreme VS Force ? It's getting destroyed by japanese users on Amazon.

What's an example of a notable game that gets reviews this overwhelmingly poor on the Amazon sites of other countries? I get the impression it only really happens on Amazon.co.jp. That's a disastrous score for a game with this many reviews.

Takao

Banned
Bamco keeps killing their franchises : Jojo, Tales, God Eater, Gundam VS.

VS. will be fine. Force is an outsourced spinoff. People will still play the mainline games in arcades and buy their console ports as long as they're up to the quality of earlier releases.

It's actually being localised too, which is mind boggling.

How so? The localization is being done by BN Asia, who's previously translated a few Gundam games into Chinese. After the success of Sword Art Online, that branch of the company has been experimenting with more English releases. They likely wanted a relatively text-light Gundam game to view market demand, and Force was the first opportunity. BN EU/US are just in it for the ride. It costs them next to nothing to put up an already existing translation onto PSN.

L~A

Ōkami;190127442 said:
This isn't inherently important to this thread, but worth posting.

Box office results for the weekend in Japan, December 19 - 20

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens: ¥1,168,936,984
  2. Yo-Kai Watch: Enma Daio to Itsutsu no Monogatari da Nyan! ¥993,163,186
Yokai came out on the 19th, Star Wars on the 18th. It's very impressive for them to so close together though.

The sequel outperformed the best opening by any Pokemon movie by over $1.5m and outdid it's predecesor by at least $2.5m, pretty crazy.

While Star Wars did more revenue, Yokai sold more tickets, which is the ranking used in Japan, Yokai sold 975k tickets, can't find data bout Star Wars.

So yeah, Yokai Watch isn't leaving any time soon.

Your post is kinda misleading (talking of increase in $). The first YW movie did 1,628,893,000 yen during its opening week-end, so the second movie did significantly worse with "only" 993,163,186 Yen.

Also, I remember TOHO announcing that over 1 million pre-purchase tickets were sold even before the first movie came out, yet the second one didn't even end up with 1m during launch week-end.

So the second Yo-kai Watch movie didn't do nearly as well as the original, but that's not really surprising, or even worrying to be honest.

The biggest problem with Yo-Kai Watch 3 is the anime: the third season (with the story from YW3) started like 6 month ago. Which means that Yo-Kai Watch 3 became the merchandising from the anime. Level 5 did the same with Danball Senki (the anime started before the game release) and Inazuma Eleven after few years. I think it's a very bad move. Pokémon never did that.

I really don't see why it would be a problem, since the Yo-kai Watch anime doesn't follow the plot of the games at all. In fact, the current "season" looks more like a continuation of the original "season" than anything else. We've barely seen any Yo-kai or elements from YW3 (the "American" ones), other than USApyon and Misora Inaho.

I wonder if the anime team didn't have to change their plans once Level-5 "delayed" YW3 to Summer 2016.

Also, reminder that Media Create numbers will come tomorrow (JST, so maybe Midnight?), while Famitsu should come out at the same time as usual.

Kyoufu

How so? The localization is being done by BN Asia, who's previously translated a few Gundam games into Chinese. After the success of Sword Art Online, that branch of the company has been experimenting with more English releases. They likely wanted a relatively text-light Gundam game to view market demand, and Force was the first opportunity. BN EU/US are just in it for the ride. It costs them next to nothing to put up an already existing translation onto PSN.

If I wanted to view market demand for the EX VS series, I wouldn't test the waters with the worst version. A Vita game, with no online mode in the west. There's so much wrong with that picture already.

Now when the game bombs they'll just pretend that we don't want any other EX VS games.

Guymelef

Still think Force being the test forn Gundam in the west is an error.
Vita only and no online.
Without Maxi Boost they should try with Breaker 3.

Takao

Banned
If I wanted to view market demand for the EX VS series, I wouldn't test the waters with the worst version. A Vita game, with no online mode in the west. There's so much wrong with that picture already.

Now when the game bombs they'll just pretend that we don't want any other EX VS games.

It's clear that the western branches of Bandai Namco don't care about Gundam. The last game they published was released digital-only, with a barebones translation that ditched one of the platforms it launched on in Japan. Force is only getting translated because of BN Asia. That's currently the most important market for the future of Gundam video game translations. For North America and Europe, Force only has to sell well enough to make it worthwhile for BN EU/US to pay for TRC and ratings boards for whatever BN Asia does next. That's a very low bar. If it pulls a SAO and does phenomenally, well, only good things come from that.

Right now the game is kind of a mess from a Japanese [and diehard Extreme Vs. fan] perspective, but I have to wonder if that will be the case for everyone. A lot of Force's shortcomings might not be apparent to many as exposure to the proper entries will have been limited by their lack of localizations (this is probably more true in NA/EU than HK/Singapore/etc.). Add to that the potential for some patches between now and when those versions launch, and Force might turn out to be a passable release. Kind of like how Oreshika and Freedom Wars got lashed in Japan but were safe by the time they came out here.

Btw, if the English version of Force does well enough for BN Asia to want to do more, I expect the next game will be Breaker 3.

L~A

The game store guy seems to be quite angry about Monster Strike shipment reveal..

Because they shipped too many copies, in order to be able to say "hey look, 1 million!!"? Can't wait for the actual data from Famitsu/MC to check out the sellthrough ratio.

Also, Takao's tag reminds me Medabots 9 comes out... well, tomorrow. This one's gonna do even worse than Medabots 8, ain't it.

enishi

And you can finish the story mode in 3 hrs (the only mode you can actually play as single player) and get Platinum in 10 hrs

No online mode, 1 vs 1 ad-hoc only, no freeplay nor arcade mode

Top Bottom