• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2015 (Dec 07 - Dec 13)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Nintendo holiday section

Sumikko Gurashi is based off a popular series of merchandise (no anime, no manga, just plushies, calendars, cups, etc.) and it seems quite popular among kids. Last year's game sold 100k, and the new one should not have any problem in reaching the same mark - it is a collection of mini-games and stories, quite simple and whimsical.

Yeh I do expect that it'll be Nintendo holidays and so forth like you said. Still interesting to see each year.

Hm interesting to see a product line of merchandise like that... good for them on doing something different and having it being popular.

I think Vita will end up having a much longer life than a system of its sales should because of multiplats with ps4 and NX. God Eater 3/Burst will likely be 4/Vita/NX.

It's kind of interesting that way. I expected the Vita to get a lot less software than it has. If DQBuilders is relatively successful, do you think we'll start seeing more kids' titles on Vita to get that Minecraft audience? I guess World of Final Fantasy may fit that boat weirdly?

Vita has managed to stave off what would've been a rather sharp YoY decline thanks almost solely to Minecraft. It's been the first evergreen title the console has had (maybe Minna no Golf but otherwise nothing else has come close) and pretty much managed to prop it up throughout most of the year.

Next year has some nice software titles, but I don't see much that'll keep hardware going. Things like Digimon; Miku; Toukiden etc. are going to sell to an existing audience. The only exciting thing happening for Vita next year is that Square Enix have seemed to realise it exists - so we'll have to see what Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy spin-offs and SaGa do for it.

With all that said, I agree with Leatherhat. For software, it's probably got a fair while left in it yet. I don't think it can support bigger games on its own, but as part of a multi-plat strategy it can keep going for a few more years.

Yeh... Square Enix is the one reason the Vita seems to be getting support... but ironically could make it relevant in a category it hasn't for years potentially (JRPGs).... will be interesting to see how that pans out. Although who would have guessed Minecraft would come to Vita and open a kids' audience on the platform.

Guymelef

Why some people forget Asia market when talk about viability of some titles on PS platforms , etc..
I mean, the Asia market which has a specific keynote from Sony on the last Tokyo Game Shows to announce lots of Chinese, korean, versions.
Yes, PS4 is "fucked" on Japan if you compare with the previous consoles, but japanesse developers think on the whole market even if they don't release their games overseas.
This Asia market.
TxkX2Is.png

Vena

That graph has no Y-axis or label, and is therefore meaningless as it has no reference. (And we've already seen and discussed it, including how terrible it is as anything more than a PR piece that belongs at the Disco.)

That graph has no Y-axis or label, and is therefore meaningless as it has no reference. (And we've already seen and discussed it, including how terrible it is as anything more than a PR piece that belongs at the Disco.)
Haha, I was trying not to figure out what about it looked so ridiculous. That would be it.

hiska-kun

Ōkami;190127442 said:
This isn't inherently important to this thread, but worth posting.

Box office results for the weekend in Japan, December 19 - 20

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens: ¥1,168,936,984
  2. Yo-Kai Watch: Enma Daio to Itsutsu no Monogatari da Nyan! ¥993,163,186
Yokai came out on the 19th, Star Wars on the 18th. It's very impressive for them to so close together though.

The sequel outperformed the best opening by any Pokemon movie by over $1.5m and outdid it's predecesor by at least $2.5m, pretty crazy.

While Star Wars did more revenue, Yokai sold more tickets, which is the ranking used in Japan, Yokai sold 975k tickets, can't find data bout Star Wars.

So yeah, Yokai Watch isn't leaving any time soon.

1. Yo-kai Watch - 974.557 tickets
2. Star Wars VII - 802.580 tickets

http://es.ipcdigital.com/2015/12/22/star-wars-no-puede-con-yo-kai-watch-en-japon/

1. Yo-kai Watch - 974.557 tickets
2. Star Wars VII - 802.580 tickets

http://es.ipcdigital.com/2015/12/22/star-wars-no-puede-con-yo-kai-watch-en-japon/

“Yo-Kai Watch the Movie 2: King Enma and the 5 Stories, Nyan!,” the second animated feature based on the popular Yo-Kai Watch role playing game, opened bigger than “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” in Japan in admissions terms. “Yo-Kai” sold 975,000 tickets for the Dec. 19-20 weekend

and this summer someone said that YW was already declining in Japan :D

but it's already stronger than the Force :p

Sandfox

“Yo-Kai Watch the Movie 2: King Enma and the 5 Stories, Nyan!,” the second animated feature based on the popular Yo-Kai Watch role playing game, opened bigger than “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” in Japan in admissions terms. “Yo-Kai” sold 975,000 tickets for the Dec. 19-20 weekend

and this summer someone said that YW was already declining in Japan :D

but it's already stronger than the Force :p

According to the thread on this the first Yokai Watch movie moved 500k more tickets in the same timeframe so this doesn't exactly disprove that claim, which was about the toy line anyways.

Surely all we'd need is one number for one data point and then everything else would fall into place. So it could be useful one day to one of our sales archaeologists.

Yeh I do expect that it'll be Nintendo holidays and so forth like you said. Still interesting to see each year.

Hm interesting to see a product line of merchandise like that... good for them on doing something different and having it being popular.

Yeah, it's interesting and also worth noticing how the game really got legs and was a sleeper hits to begin with.

According to the thread on this the first Yokai Watch movie moved 500k more tickets in the same timeframe so this doesn't exactly disprove that claim, which was about the toy line anyways.

True; nevertheless, the first YW movie had the second-highest opening ever in Japan (a record per se), and last year saw a mainline entry with an expansion launched around the same time.

Is the next YW game announced for 3ds?

Yo-kai Watch x Sangokushi in Spring and Yo-kai Watch 3 in Summer, both planned for 3DS.

Regiruler

Looking at the thing, I'm becoming convinced that Setsuna is a downloadable title a la Child of Light in the West for maybe $20-$30 tops.

After Minecraft and Terraria, does anyone know what the next highest selling game is that was retail in Japan and downloadable (by design, not Vita scenario) in the West?

I'm curious if this is something of a new situation, especially for the genre.

I feel this is a great example of the quality of Sony's third party relations.

It would be hard to imagine another situation where Japanese publisher after Japanese publisher marched up on stage to announce a slough of major projects (as per their remaining ability to make notable projects) at each possible event for a nigh-dead-on-arrival console.

Now, some certainly went in more than others, but I feel it's worth considering that a couple of these publishers are pseudo-zombies in the dedicated space, especially compared to their previous stature.

This explains why there was no PC version of the PSN/XBLA game.
The reason there was no console version of legacy of the duelist is a mix of multiple things, but all of which are unrelated to the new title.

Primary reason would probably be so it didn't conflict with Duel Arena, a free to play title that was recieved very poorly. It has since been scrapped, but to my knowledge it has since gotten an OCG (read: asia) version with substantially improved features, and has also been adapted to tablets. I do not know the current status of either (its 3am and I'm posting on mobile). Secondary reason would have to be the unsponsored simulators (Dueling network, etc), which have been a huge pain for Konami when it comes to releasing PC titles. As a whole, they seem to be declining in popularity very slightly, although it's possible that they're declining because the card game as a whole is declining. It should be noted that unless there is a major change within the year, these simulators will threaten the health of the pc version of the 2016 title.

I say PC version because it's coming to consoles as well. The worldwide comment is noteworthy because no prior game in the series to my knowledge was confirmed for a western release before its Japanese release.

It's kind of interesting that way. I expected the Vita to get a lot less software than it has. If DQBuilders is relatively successful, do you think we'll start seeing more kids' titles on Vita to get that Minecraft audience? I guess World of Final Fantasy may fit that boat weirdly?

If anything opens that door for Vita, it's going to be Minecraft itself. It's definitely the runaway success for the console regardless of how DQB does, which definitely has price against it.

I can't see Vita getting anything particularly noteworthy to appeal to a younger audience outside of what it's already getting, but it would be nice to see if there's any third-party publishers willing to give some different IP's a try on the console. Heck, Sony could try it with Ape Escape, Boku no Natsuyasumi or something similar, but they won't since they're done with Vita no matter how well Minecraft has done on it (worth noting that the PS4 version at retail has cratered compared to the Vita version).

If anything opens that door for Vita, it's going to be Minecraft itself. It's definitely the runaway success for the console regardless of how DQB does, which definitely has price against it.

I can't see Vita getting anything particularly noteworthy to appeal to a younger audience outside of what it's already getting, but it would be nice to see if there's any third-party publishers willing to give some different IP's a try on the console. Heck, Sony could try it with Ape Escape, Boku no Natsuyasumi or something similar, but they won't since they're done with Vita no matter how well Minecraft has done on it (worth noting that the PS4 version at retail has cratered compared to the Vita version).

Which IP do you think will benefit from MC being popular on PSV? My Summer Holiday is not exactly an IP targeted towards kids, but more towards nostalgic gamers.

Which IP do you think will benefit from MC being popular on PSV?

I've no idea. I didn't think Minecraft would be this level of a success on Vita, so I'm not entirely sure what level of audience they'd have to target - it seems a long way removed from the otaku audience that it was drawing in previously, hence why it would be nice to see what different software could sell (or not) on the console.

I've no idea. I didn't think Minecraft would be this level of a success on Vita, so I'm not entirely sure what level of audience they'd have to target - it seems a long way removed from the otaku audience that it was drawing in previously, hence why it would be nice to see what different software could sell (or not) on the console.

Minecraft is mainly played by kids - so which IP "third-party publishers should give some different a try on the console"?

Don't know enough about kid-focused software that isn't published by Nintendo to make some suggestions.

If that doesn't suffice, then I don't know what answer you want from me :p

Yo-kai Watch, Dragon Quest Monsters, Taiko Drum Master, Disney IP, Dragon Ball Heroes, anime IPs such as Doraemon, CardFight.

Not really. Graph is clearly there to highlight relative performance in Asia. The graph alligns with what many Japanese devs are noticing (Falcom, SEGA, SE) and thats Asia accounting for a greater number of sales. You see more and quicker Asia localisations these days. PS4's better performance compared to previous systems is an encouraging factor.

Orgen

Not really. Graph is clearly there to highlight relative performance in Asia. The graph alligns with what many Japanese devs are noticing (Falcom, SEGA, SE) and thats Asia accounting for a greater number of sales. You see more and quicker Asia localisations these days. PS4's better performance compared to previous systems is an encouraging factor.

This is like saying that place nº20 is better than place nº25 in the UK weekly sales not knowing the number of sales.

If PS2 sold 1000 SW units and PS4 sold 2000 units... yeah is better but not that better. We need to know the Y-axis value and not putting it there seems suspicious at least.

Yo-kai Watch, Dragon Quest Monsters, Taiko Drum Master, Disney IP, Dragon Ball Heroes, anime IPs such as Doraemon, CardFight.

Dragon Quest : already on Vita
Taiko : already on Vita
Dragon Ball : already on Vita
Anime IP : already on Vita

Sony platforms have never been aimed for children target, it would be interesting to see developers trying to expand this section of the market; and also Sony could be interested in it

Minecraft is just showing that a game which can be played by children can be successful on a system not made by nintendo (which is the primary choice for that target)

The graph is just saying that PS4 is doing better than a platform launched in less countries around a decade ago - countries that saw a dramatic development during the past few years, along with an increasing general interest and awareness towards gaming.

Dragon Quest : already on Vita
Taiko : already on Vita
Dragon Ball : already on Vita
Anime IP : already on Vita

Sony platforms have never been aimed for children target, it would be interesting to see developers trying to expand this section of the market; and also Sony could be interested in it

Minecraft is just showing that a game which can be played by children can be successful on a system not made by nintendo (which is the primary choice for that target)

Sony platforms could totally host games aimed at children - PS2 was a prime example of this, and PSP didn't do bad in that department either. Also, Taiko and DB kind of bombed on PSV - so that would go against the point. As for anime IPs - I was mainly talking about anime targeted towards a young audience - Doraemon, CardFight and so on.

Eolz

Whoops, too late to answer some of the previous pages now, moved faster than I expected.
On the most recent topic, I really don't see how/why the vita would become the new platform aiming for a younger audience. Didn't work, won't work, and needs more than minecraft as a good sales/audience example.

sörine

Banned
To put a more relative figure on Asian sales vs Japan, Koei Tecmo breaks them down by region:

1H FY2015
78.2% Japan
10.4% North America
6.8% Europe
4.5% Asia

1H FY2016
74.9% Japan
10.5% North America
6.2% Europe
8.4% Asia

Koei Tecmo's likely on the higher end for Asian growth due to library suitability and their traditional western weakness skews direct comparisons there (only DOA and Ninja Gaiden are at all big for them overseas), but this at least gives us some idea of what a best case scenario probably looks for Asian sales with a major JP publisher.

Celine

Sony platforms have never been aimed for children target, it would be interesting to see developers trying to expand this section of the market; and also Sony could be interested in it.
Since 1994.12.03?
That's a bold statement Moor.
Of course they also targeted the kids.

sörine;190150448 said:
To put a more relative figure on Asian sales vs Japan, Koei Tecmo breaks them down by region:

1H FY2015
78.2% Japan
10.4% North America
6.8% Europe
4.5% Asia

1H FY2016
74.9% Japan
10.5% North America
6.2% Europe
8.4% Asia

Koei Tecmo's likely on the higher end for Asian growth due to library suitability and their traditional western weakness skews direct comparisons there (only DOA and Ninja Gaiden are at all big for them overseas), but this at least gives us some idea of what a best case scenario probably looks for Asian sales with a major JP publisher.

Really interesting figures. That's actually crazy; I didn't think the numbers would be that Japan-centric, even for Koei-Tecmo. Any figures from other publishers?

The graph is just saying that PS4 is doing better than a platform launched in less countries around a decade ago - countries that saw a dramatic development during the past few years, along with an increasing general interest and awareness towards gaming.

Yes and its highlighting that growth with the PS4.

Honestly, the Vita & kids thing is a long shot. It doesn't have Jibanyan, so unless mom's willing to let them have both portables it's a non-issue.

I'm laughing at the talk of Yokai Watch declining. Japan is drowning in Yokai, that shit is all over the place. Kids everywhere are festooned with the character images. If you asked me if it's bigger than Pokemon right now I wouldn't hesitate to say yes.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Honestly, the Vita & kids thing is a long shot. It doesn't have Jibanyan, so unless mom's willing to let them have both portables it's a non-issue.

I'm laughing at the talk of Yokai Watch declining. Japan is drowning in Yokai, that shit is all over the place. Kids everywhere are festooned with the character images. If you asked me if it's bigger than Pokemon right now I wouldn't hesitate to say yes.

YW3 will show if it's declining or growning, right?

Wasn't there a report earlier that the toy sales are in sharp decline? Although that could've been influenced by the fact that they didn't release a mainline title this year, maybe we need to wait for YW3 to understand the situation better.

Yeah, it's difficult to assess the state of the IP right now. Surely, YW is vastly popular, and sw sales and box office performance show it. I still believe the peak was with YW2 but YW3 could still perform relatively well, around 2-2.5m units. Level-5 should think well how to transition the IP from 3DS to whichever platforms (Layton and Inazuma Eleven were hurt by DS->3DS transition).

sörine

Banned
Really interesting figures. That's actually crazy; I didn't think the numbers would be that Japan-centric, even for Koei-Tecmo. Any figures from other publishers?
Just checked and the other big publishers are broken down only into domestic/overseas (Sega) or no breakdown at all (Bandai Namco, Konami) except:

Capcom 1H FY2015
28.6% Japan
50.0% North America
19.0% Europe
2.4% Asia

Capcom 1H FY2016
47.6% Japan
38.1% North America
11.9% Europe
2.4% Asia

Square Enix 1H FY2015
23.3% Japan
74.1% North America + Europe
2.6% Asia

Square Enix 1H FY2016
33.2% Japan
60.6% North America + Europe
6.2% Asia

Gives a good counter perspective for two much more heavily western leaning publishers.

YW3 will show if it's declining or growning, right?

It's not just a gaming property, so not really, but it's also at total media saturation right now. Not sure how much room it has to grow. But I think it's a property with staying power; even if it doesn't remain at the kid-cultural apex forever, since nothing does, I don't think it's a thing that's just going to be "over." The fact that the other two most visible kid media properties right now appear to be Anpan Man and Kamen Rider drive home just how resilient they can be.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Orgen said:
We need to know the Y-axis value and not putting it there seems suspicious at least.
PS2 Software was hitting tie-ratios of ~1, which is not something you'd ever want to advertise I imagine. Hw-numbers were multi-million though (IIRC Korea was over 3M by itself), so beating that could be considered fairly significant.
That said - certain IPs actually sold better in Asia than Japan (like Fifa), and that continued in PS3 generation.

Vena

If anything, I think YW3 will show only a minor glimpse into the status of the IP as a whole. We'd need to look into toy sales, movie performances going forward, and more. The IP may simply end up preferring one form of media consumption than others.

Surely all we'd need is one number for one data point and then everything else would fall into place. So it could be useful one day to one of our sales archaeologists.

You'd need more than one number, you don't know the scale of the Y-axis. Depending on how one sets the Y-axis, you can "change" the image that a person sees. This is why labels are a must-have for serious graphs.

Yes and its highlighting that growth with the PS4.

Growth is a vacuous term without reference. Going from 1 unit sold to 2 units sold is also growth.

The only problem I see (and its a big problem) with the Vita evolving into a machine for a demographic is barely actually targets, is that no one is going to want to sacrifice their products to slowly build an audience (or try to do it). Minecraft is a a perfect storm of sorts in that its unavailable on the 3DS, the Vita is cheap, and its mobile. The same won't generally apply elsewhere, and all the same after Sony scorched the earth on the Vita, they're not going to be there to try and support or build a young demographic.

The biggest problem with Yo-Kai Watch 3 is the anime: the third season (with the story from YW3) started like 6 month ago. Which means that Yo-Kai Watch 3 became the merchandising from the anime. Level 5 did the same with Danball Senki (the anime started before the game release) and Inazuma Eleven after few years. I think it's a very bad move. Pokémon never did that.

The biggest problem with Yo-Kai Watch 3 is the anime: the third season (with the story from YW3) started like 6 month ago. Which means that Yo-Kai Watch 3 became the merchandising from the anime. Level 5 did the same with Danball Senki (the anime started before the game release) and Inazuma Eleven after few years. I think it's a very bad move. Pokémon never did that.

While this is true up until this point, Pokémon may be trying a variant of this strategy. The XY&Z anime started months ago, with no sign of a Pokémon Z game in sight- it may be that Z got significantly delayed, or that they aren't planning on doing a Z game at all, but it could also be unprecedented build-up to a third version.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
truth is: YW3 will probably be both a success and a decline. It will probably sell a lot, even if less than YW2. Looking at the Busters sales, it's pretty evident that the brand is still very strong, even if when YW3 will hit the market, it could see a decline from the huge record-setting results of YW2. Same with the 2nd movie results, imho.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
While this is true up until this point, Pokémon may be trying a variant of this strategy. The XY&Z anime started months ago, with no sign of a Pokémon Z game in sight- it may be that Z got significantly delayed, or that they aren't planning on doing a Z game at all, but it could also be unprecedented build-up to a third version.

Well, they're going to launch Pokémon Z on NX alongside 3DS, and it'll be a launch title: of course, they want an unprecedented build-up ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

Top Bottom