• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2015 (Dec 14 - Dec 20)

zroid

Banned
bow0.gif
bow0.gif
bow0.gif
Splatoon

Jigorath

Banned
sörine;190243532 said:
It's too late now, but those Wii U sales make me wonder how the system could've done with normal price reductions and actual 3rd party support?

A couple extra million sales in Japan wouldn't have made any difference in the grand scheme of things.

ZOONAMI

At this rate, Wii U might kind of make up for lackluster sales in NA this holiday season. Maybe it can catch up with the Xbone lol.

Ōkami

Top 10 Best Selling Games of the Year so far, Famitsu data, retail only.

1. [3DS] Monster Hunter X: 2.267.916
  2. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad: 1.860.532
  3. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer: 1.222.487
  4. [WIU] Splatoon: 966.801
  5. [3DS] Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King*: 857.005
  6. [3DS] Yokai Watch 2: Shinuchi*: 618.819
  7. [WIU] Super Mario Maker: 576.913
  8. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+: 560.698
  9. [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright/Conquest*: 536.121
  10. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woes and The Blight Below*: 456.094
* data not up to date.
Monster Strike should knock Dragon Quest Heroes off of the list, so top 10 should be all on Nintendo hardware, just like last year.

Famitsu retail + digital LTD
[WIU] Splatoon: 1.074.909
First time a brand new IP sells a millon units in a home console since Wii Sports, 9 years ago.

[WIU] Super Mario Maker: 619.693
Already outsold Super Mario 3D World, should outsell Super Smash Bros. for WiiU by next week.

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition: 749.442
Has outsold the second best selling Vita game by over 300k units, it's also outsold Nintendo flagship titles such as Mario 3D World, Smash on WiiU, and all Fire Emblem, Zelda and Kirby games on 3DS.

Back to Splatoon, here's an interesting comparison.

Splatoon retail sales after 29 weeks (28/05/2015 - 20/12/2015): 966.801

Resident Evil retail sales after 29 weeks (22/03/1996 - 13/10/1996): 837.102, it'd take the original Resident Evil 51 weeks what Splatoon sold in 29.

Pokémon Red/Green retail sales after 29 weeks (27/02/1996 - 22/09/1996): 645.531, it'd take the original Pokémon SKUs 41 weeks to sell what Splatoon sold in 29.

Yokai Watch retail sales after 29 weeks (11/07/2013 - 02/02/2014) - 373.199

Splatoon is outpacing the first entries on some of the biggest franchises in Japan, that's impressive anyway you slice it, by the end Splaton should outsell both Resident Evil and maybe even the original Yokai Watch to become the best selling WiiU game.

On a different topic, while I'll need dengeki data to make sure, WiiU's software LTD should be above 10m units by now, with PS4's just shy of 7m.

RPGamer92

Banned
sörine;190249775 said:
I feel like the significance of Frozen is even more overblown than the significance of Asia when it comes to PS4. :)
No way, Frozen is the biggest animated move in forever. I'd be shocked if it wasn't on the front or back cover of KH3. Way to easy of a way to sell the game to not do it.

Jojo's not so bizarre drop:

[PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All-Star Battle ( Bandai Namco ) { 2013-08-29 } - 391,583 / 490,504

[PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.12.17} (¥7.549) - 19.164
[PS4] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.12.17} (¥8.856) - 18.516
Total: 37.680

Dammit. There goes my hope of a sequel in the style of the first game with Diego and Foo Fighters.

+40K for Exist Archive ? Eh, at least, Spike Chunsoft did better than their others new IP this year (Ukiyo no Shishi/Rôshi and Grand Kingdom).

The real Christmas bomba (before #FE I mean) is obviously Jojo, insane drop from the last game. It's not like Eyes of Heaven was sexy in anything, but damn this is a precious IP, Bandai Namco :| At least, it's coming in US/EU.

Nice to see that big up YoY for Wii U, PS4 and PS Vita and Fallout 4 didn't disappoint, entering between Black Ops III and Star Wars. I expect a nice hold for next week, too.

Jigorath

Banned
Jojo's not so bizarre drop:

[PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All-Star Battle ( Bandai Namco ) { 2013-08-29 } - 391,583 / 490,504

[PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.12.17} (¥7.549) - 19.164
[PS4] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.12.17} (¥8.856) - 18.516
Total: 37.680

Yikes.

Welfare

Where's Media Create?

Fallout 4 doing well.

Jesus WII U. Nintendo holidays have started proper.

JoJo bombing is sad.

Mory Dunz

If saved is such a word of contention for people, just say splatoon "helped" 2015s sales. :)

Wonder how vicious the 2016 drop will be. And it'd be nice to see 3D World and kart charting higher. Oh well.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Although I think that this is true a lot of the time, I think that there is an argument to be made that there are several exceptions. The Wii, after all, probably would not have seen nearly the same success without Wii Sports, just as the DS probably would not have hit 150 million without Brain Age and Nintendogs. Sure, the PS4 isn't going to be a massive success based off of a single title, but to say that it never happens is not painting a completely accurate picture.

Wii Sports???

rt absolutely pushed the Wii. A lot.
But the Wii had the remote, too. Had the price (in comparison with the compatitor, it was such a no-brain, in terms of pure purchase cost). It had Wii Party (that pushed A LOT the second remote, and so the local multiplayer). At a certain point, it introduced Wii Fit. And the Balance Board. It also had a long-awaited Zelda, for the more hardcore fans (and it sold GREATLY worlwide).

So, we could say that a one/unique game could help a console to sell a lot, initially, if it is "simbiothyc" with a very distinctive hardware feature. But even in that case, after awhile, there must be other elements to sustain a console in its lifecycle to be succesfull.

PS: what happened to Ryng_Tolu?

Wasn't the last Jojo game one of the biggest week over week drops of all time? I think I remember it being something like a 91% drop. That series absolutely imploded on itself.

Exile20

You know what I honestly wonder?

If Nintendo could survive without much third party support and better pricing from the outset (as opposed to forced price drops), but also with more fresh and phenomenal games like Splatoon and Mario Maker.

I mean, Splatoon alone is saving the Wii U, and SMM is giving a boost. The high quality and post-release content of Mario Kart 8 was also a plus.

Perhaps if Nintendo re-allocated their resources away from throwaway titles like Mario Tennis, AC Amiibo Festival, and Mario Party 10 and toward more original and exciting ideas and games, they could do better mostly on their own.

You can't do that, I know every gamer wants "NEW IPS EVERYWHERE" but new ips are not a guarantee and it is hard coming up with "original and exciting ideas and games".

Don't get me wrong, Mario Tennis Wii U and Amiibo festival are shit but if they actually put an ounce of effort in a mario tennis it would have sold, a mainline Animal Crossing Wii U would have sold.

sörine

Banned
Never thought I'd see the day where stuff like Nier or Gravity Rush were earnestly argued as system sellers. Will wonders never cease?

DrWong

&#332;kami;190259097 said:

10. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woes and The Blight Below*: 456.094
* data not up to date.
Monster Strike should knock Dragon Quest Heroes off of the list, so top 10 should be all on Nintendo hardware, just like last year.

First time a brand new IP sells a millon units in a home console since Wii Sports, 9 years ago.

[WIU] Super Mario Maker: 619.693
Already outsold Super Mario 3D World, should outsell Super Smash Bros. for WiiU by next week.

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition: 749.442
Has outsold the second best selling Vita game by over 300k units, it's also outsold Nintendo flagship titles such as Mario 3D World, Smash on WiiU, and all Fire Emblem, Zelda and Kirby games on 3DS.

Back to Splatoon, here's an interesting comparison.

Splatoon retail sales after 29 weeks (28/05/2015 - 20/12/2015): 966.801

Resident Evil retail sales after 29 weeks (22/03/1996 - 13/10/1996): 837.102, it'd take the original Resident Evil 51 weeks what Splatoon sold in 29.

Pokémon Red/Green retail sales after 29 weeks (27/02/1996 - 22/09/1996): 645.531, it'd take the original Pokémon SKUs 41 weeks to sell what Splatoon sold in 29.

Yokai Watch retail sales after 29 weeks (11/07/2013 - 02/02/2014) - 373.199

Splatoon is outpacing the first entries on some of the biggest franchises in Japan, that's impressive anyway you slice it, by the end Splaton should outsell both Resident Evil and maybe even the original Yokai Watch to become the best selling WiiU game.

On a different topic, while I'll need dengeki data to make sure, WiiU's software LTD should be above 10m units by now, with PS4's just shy of 7m.
Thx! Really fascinating comparisons which confirm the potential of the IP. A very strong card for Nintendo and we can be sure they'll give evrything to make it bigger next time.

maxcriden

I agree with you, I'm not voicing a complain. Just noting the weird situation they are in. If the system was selling for a lower price it would be ok. All systems sell for a discount when they are nearing the end of their lifetime. But Wii U is still selling for a high price and I'm not sure it is justified considering they are about to retire it.

Oh, totally. I agree with you. I wasn't meaning to disagree per se, sorry, was just thinking out loud really. I do think in NA at least the basic Wii U could use to be discounted.

sörine;190260500 said:
Never thought I'd see the day where stuff like Nier or Gravity Rush were earnestly argued as system sellers. Will wonders never cease?

Nier Automata was the reason why I got a PS4 :p

Realistically speaking those games won't help sales much, probably will just sell to existing PS4 owners.

Geg

sörine;190260500 said:

Come to think of it, did The Last Guardian ever garner the same legendary status in Japan that it has in the west?

sörine

Banned
No way, Frozen is the biggest animated move in forever. I'd be shocked if it wasn't on the front or back cover of KH3. Way to easy of a way to sell the game to not do it.
PS4 owners aren't exactly the best Frozen demo. But who knows, maybe it'll work this time?

ps4-frozen-japan_950.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

sense

sörine;190261064 said:
PS4 owners aren't exactly the best Frozen demo. But who knows, maybe it'll work this time?

ps4-frozen-japan_950.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

it is amazing how often you pick the weakest efforts to support your argument

jariw

* data not up to date.

Would be interesting to see the Nintendo revenue slice here between the 3DS and Wii U, since the 2 Wii U titles are Nintendo's own titles, while there seems to be only 1 Nintendo title among the 7 3DS titles.

Would be interesting to see the Nintendo revenue slice here between the 3DS and Wii U, since the 2 Wii U titles are Nintendo's own titles, while there seems to be only 1 Nintendo title among the 7 3DS titles.

....3 Nintendo titles among the 3DS titles, there's 3 of them

At this rate, Wii U might kind of make up for lackluster sales in NA this holiday season. Maybe it can catch up with the Xbone lol.

:lol

sörine

Banned
Am I blind or aren't there 3 Nintendo 3DS titles? HHD, Fates and Best+?

it is amazing how often you pick the weakest efforts to support your argument
Okay, so put your money where your mouth is and show us some data on how Frozen based licensing actually sells something on consoles or handhelds. I don't mind waiting. :)

Vena

Good week for Nintendo, and Fallout 4.

Jojo need not apply.

Got banned for a week for a "Cool story bro" post.

Well that was a bad idea by him. Will miss him for a week.

Three: AC, RH, and FE.

AniHawk

i know splatoon is a bundled game, but it's quite literally a system seller and actually hitting a million is pretty amazing.

Takao

Banned
I know it's not a great game and from a tiny publisher in Japan, but did the Frozen 3DS game even chart?

Maybe people will feel nostalgic for that movie by the time KH3 is released.

Anth0ny

holy shit wii u

holy shit splatoon

holy SHIT MARIO MAKER WOW

cool numbers these games should definitely be re-released on NX.

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
sörine;190261748 said:
Am I blind or aren't there 3 Nintendo 3DS titles? HHD, Fates and Best+?

Okay, so put your money where your mouth is and show us some data on how Frozen based licensing actually sells something on consoles or handhelds. I don't mind waiting. :)

Does Disney Magic World 2 count?

Prelude.

So with,
Street Fighter V - 200k at best. If they're not bothered by the f2p mechanics.
Uncharted 3 - I get it that the series grew a lot but how many will go out and buy a PS4 for another uncharted?
Dark Souls 3 - Those 300k-ish Souls fans probably bought their PS4 for BB already.
Gravity Rush Remastered/ Gravity Rush 2 - lol
Final fantasy XV - Probably the only thing on this list that matters.
Persona V - Multi
Star Ocean V - Multi
World of FF - Multi and it'll sell more on Vita anyway.
The Last Guardian - Both this and Ni-oh are basically meme status games so who knows. They'll certainly be nothing huge.
Ni-oh - ^
Nier Automata - The first wasn't exactly a big hit and now it's a character action game by Platinum.
There is no chance?
Nah.

It'd have a chance if DQXI won't get Ni no Kuni'd but it will.

ßig;190262021 said:
Does Disney Magic World 2 count?

Yeah, Disney Magical Castle has Frozen - the first one didn't and sold 500k units, though. It'd be interesting to see how much NB is promoting the inclusion of the movie in the game. The promo art has Frozen on par with the other properties:

MrV4ltor

Reading this actually gave me goosebumps. So happy that Nintendo took a chance on this weird idea and I seriously hope they do it more often on NX.

Datschge

Totally forgot about that one. Its first week was 29,983.

Am I forgetting any other forgettable tri-Ace new IPs?
xD No, that should cover it outside the one odd social web game of which I forgot the name. ;)

I'm kinda relieved actually. Frontier Gate, Labyrinth no Kanata and now Exist Archive all are games produced by Shingo Mukaitoge, back then as part of Konami now moved into tri-Ace. Considering sales are for four days, this is Spike Chunsoft's biggest new IP this year (and I'm sure they'll be able to add some decent international sales) the numbers seem okay.

sense

sörine;190261748 said:

i am not the one saying frozen is overrated. it is an extremely popular brand and I haven't seen a worthwhile effort in the gaming side of things to make judgement on its effect. I am positive square will make a more meaningful effort by including the frozen world in kh3 and also advertising it heavily and then we can see what the effect is. I personally am not going to run out the door to buy a ps4 for a frozen themed faceplate .....

maxcriden

holy shit wii u

holy shit splatoon

holy SHIT MARIO MAKER WOW

cool numbers these games should definitely be re-released on NX.

I wonder if SMM can be any kind of success without a GamePad. regardless, unless I'm mistaken it doesn't seem to have caught on too strongly here in NA. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I still find it funny wii u is 5k yen up over its 2013 bundle and it's doing similar numbers.
Imagine if they had a price cut or did a mario maker and Splatoon bundle....

Top Bottom