• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2015 (Dec 14 - Dec 20)

noshten

Those splatoon stats/comparisons are fantastic and eye opening to see how much of an accomplishment it is and just what kind of potential it could see if properly handeled. Wow.

Yep especially when comparing a title that has been out for a little over 6 months, even Nintendo is constantly underestimating it. At launch in Japan they underestimated how much stock would be needed and now they don't have enough stock for the biggest week of the year. Next week they could have had a week similar to the launch aka >100k. We shall see if they restock in time and how digital sales will be for December.

Arzehn

Yikes at Jojo, I knew it was going to flop but less then 40k...
I doubt that a bad previous game would taint the waters this bad, it has to be a combination of that plus significantly less interest in the Jojo ip in regards to games.

Hardware much better this year for everything but 3ds. Fallout 4 sales better than expected, well done. Exist Archive sales are low-medicore, but roughly the number I expected to see after monitoring the weak pre-orders.

As always holidays are all about Nintendo.

Diffense

It's interesting that the biggest Wii U games in Japan make heavy use of the gamepad's features (especially SMM).

Both games did quite well in NA too.
Super Mario Maker was at 500K by September NPD:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...boosts_wii_u_system_sales_by_over_100_percent

Splatoon was at 600K by August:
www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/11/splatoon-splashes-its-way-through-600k-sales-in-the-us

Both games are worldwide million sellers.

Mario Maker is definitely the gamepad's killer app so far since it's difficult to imagine it playing better without a touchscreen. In hindsight, Super Mario Maker should have been availbable in the Wii U's launch window. The perfect synergy of concept and application that they had with the Wii was definitely lacking with the U.

If Nintendo wants a successful launch of NX they better have Splat2n in Development now and ready for a release within at least the first year. They definitely have their next big IP. Hopefully, they let the younger Developers try more of their ideas moving forward. Those Splatoon numbers are amazing.

So we know Minecraft Wii u hastill at least 43k.
Just passed Smash and that had 43k digital a while ago.
Could be over 50k by now.
Wondering why Dragon Quest Builders isn't coming to it I mean thone games have demand on Wii u.

Mr Swine

Banned
So we know Minecraft Wii u hastill at least 43k.
Just passed Smash and that had 43k digital a while ago.
Could be over 50k by now.
Wondering why Dragon Quest Builders isn't coming to it I mean thone games have demand on Wii u.

That is a bit of an disappointment if it's only done 50k or so :/

I think the bigger issue would also be staff count.

Next generation their average team size could very well double, and they presumably want to make games in their hit brands still.
Which is all the more reason why the NX is what I hope it is and will actually be a home console/handheld in the same box. Consolidating dev teams lends to that and it would only help Nintendo imho.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Lets be honest
. This week wii u numbers are just one of a kind weekly results

No, they are just one of a kind biggest month of the year results and with no new software.

If Nintendo and retailers ware expecting these numbers there would still be stock for Splatoon bundles.

So ummm if I havent missed anything, is Minecraft the best selling retail game for the Vita? Its at over 400k, I dont think many retail games got to that.

Davey Cakes

You can't do that, I know every gamer wants "NEW IPS EVERYWHERE" but new ips are not a guarantee and it is hard coming up with "original and exciting ideas and games".

Don't get me wrong, Mario Tennis Wii U and Amiibo festival are shit but if they actually put an ounce of effort in a mario tennis it would have sold, a mainline Animal Crossing Wii U would have sold.
That's a good point but my own point doesn't necessarily leave out established IPs.

As we know about Nintendo, they're particularly good at refreshing the gameplay in their games over the course of time. Mario is a key example, as it's survived throughout the years thanks to constant gameplay innovations, no matter how small.

When I talk about phenomenal games, they don't necessarily have to be original. They just can't be obvious filler. Nintendo taking their known properties to the next level is certainly a possibility as much as coming up with the next Splatoon, but the ball is in their court on that one.

Is New Super Mario Bros. U a phenomenon? Good game aside, no it's not. But Super Mario Maker is. Nintendo can afford to be more creative, take more risks, and pump more resources into their games to make people actually WANT them.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ōkami;190259097 said:
Top 10 Best Selling Games of the Year so far, Famitsu data, retail only.

1. [3DS] Monster Hunter X: 2.267.916
  2. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad: 1.860.532
  3. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer: 1.222.487
  4. [WIU] Splatoon: 966.801
  5. [3DS] Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King*: 857.005
  6. [3DS] Yokai Watch 2: Shinuchi*: 618.819
  7. [WIU] Super Mario Maker: 576.913
  8. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+: 560.698
  9. [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright/Conquest*: 536.121
  10. [PS3] Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woes and The Blight Below*: 456.094
* data not up to date.
Monster Strike should knock Dragon Quest Heroes off of the list, so top 10 should be all on Nintendo hardware, just like last year.

Famitsu retail + digital LTD
[WIU] Splatoon: 1.074.909
First time a brand new IP sells a millon units in a home console since Wii Sports, 9 years ago.

[WIU] Super Mario Maker: 619.693
Already outsold Super Mario 3D World, should outsell Super Smash Bros. for WiiU by next week.

[PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition: 749.442
Has outsold the second best selling Vita game by over 300k units, it's also outsold Nintendo flagship titles such as Mario 3D World, Smash on WiiU, and all Fire Emblem, Zelda and Kirby games on 3DS.

Back to Splatoon, here's an interesting comparison.

Splatoon retail sales after 29 weeks (28/05/2015 - 20/12/2015): 966.801

Resident Evil retail sales after 29 weeks (22/03/1996 - 13/10/1996): 837.102, it'd take the original Resident Evil 51 weeks what Splatoon sold in 29.

Pokémon Red/Green retail sales after 29 weeks (27/02/1996 - 22/09/1996): 645.531, it'd take the original Pokémon SKUs 41 weeks to sell what Splatoon sold in 29.

Yokai Watch retail sales after 29 weeks (11/07/2013 - 02/02/2014) - 373.199

Splatoon is outpacing the first entries on some of the biggest franchises in Japan, that's impressive anyway you slice it, by the end Splaton should outsell both Resident Evil and maybe even the original Yokai Watch to become the best selling WiiU game.

On a different topic, while I'll need dengeki data to make sure, WiiU's software LTD should be above 10m units by now, with PS4's just shy of 7m.
I'm sure Iwata-san is smiling right now.

Gonna be another Nintendo top 10 this year

It sucks that the Splatoon bundle is no more. Isn't that a major reason why the Wii U has sold as well as it did over the past few weeks? Time for a Minecraft bundle.

Great numbers for Nintendo-related stuff. It's awesome that the 3DS will indeed hit 20 million this year. Next stop (last stop) PS2.
It still has PSP (MC) and PS1 before that

I don't know if 3DS has another 2m left in it

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Gonna be another Nintendo top 10 this year

It still has PSP (MC) and PS1 before that

I don't know if 3DS has another 2m left in it

So psp is around the corner while PSX is at 22 millions?
3ds sold two millions this year. Next year will have probably a better lineup but a bigger saturation so it will not sell as much as this year but could still sell some hundred units the year after despite NX competition
We will see

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I wonder if SMM can be any kind of success without a GamePad. regardless, unless I'm mistaken it doesn't seem to have caught on too strongly here in NA. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Mario Maker has sold similarly to what it has in Japan if I'm not mistaken.

Ōkami;190285272 said:
PS2: 21.98M
PS1: 21.59M
PSP: 19.69M
PSV: 4.40M
PS4: 2.07M

Why I remember that PSP got over 20 million? Does that count PSP Go or is there just a big difference between MC and Famitsu?

Ōkami

Why I remember that PSP got over 20 million? Does that count PSP Go or is there just a big difference between MC and Famitsu?
That is Famitsu, don't know where MC has it, and it does include PSP Go, which doesn't really matter as it sold less than 200k units anyway.

Ōkami;190285896 said:
That is Famitsu, don't know where MC has it, and it does include PSP Go, which doesn't really matter as it sold less than 200k units anyway.

Yeah. Seems like MC just had it higher. 20.166.133 as of last week of 2014 (last week they tracked PSP sales).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so the 3DS imho will sit in between psx and ps2 depending on dqxi boost, nx release date and '17 tail sales

Scoops

Banned
So finally Wii U has managed to generate some momentum. I have a feeling it might be bit late and Nintendo is unprepared on how to ride it now. They will probably cling on the evergreen, dlc-heavy games to fill the gap and keep all those owners busy. Investing in new, big games for Wii U seems unlikely.

To be fair #FE drops in Japan on Friday. Pokken is coming in March, Star Fox in April.

They've got titles.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu has PS1 at 18.854.258 and shipment is 18,90M.

PS2 is the only Sony system 3DS has yet to beat.

Next year has many 3DS heavy hitters and maybe with a price drop it will happen at late 2016 / early 2017.

Ōkami

Game Data Museum lied to me!

The oldest Famitsu hardware data I have starts in late 1998, just before the launch of the Game Boy Color, so I couldn't really add PS1's LTD from that.

For what it's worth the PS2 lasted 12 years on the market, 3DS won't go so far.

Still launches aligned 3DS is outdoing it, using Famitsu 3DS is at 19.76m after 251 weeks, on that same timeframe PS2 was at 15.37m.

Maniel

Banned
So it's looking like total hardware for 2015 will be greater than 5.5 million according to famitsu. Last year it was 6.4 million, so another year of big drops. It could've been worse because I didn't think the 3ds would sell as well as it did this year without the New 3ds bump. Maybe next year we will only see a small drop in overall hardware with NX coming out and ps4 rising.

sörine

Banned
you got all that from me asking what if it has a frozen world? using a faceplate is a weak argument no matter how you want to slice it and i am surprised it struck a nerve!

i am not saying kh3 is going to light the charts on fire if it has a frozen world lol. it is not possible to give a number when there is no way of knowing if people buy kh3 because of it. i think it will be a good marketing move to make use of its popularity and push people over the edge to pick up the game. if it makes you happy i will make an early prediction that kh3 will sell more than a million units lifetime in japan(edit: should include asia just to be on the safe side :) but i can see it doing that in japan alone depending on reception)
Well no, like I just said I figured you were joking then. It was the successive doubling down on it that made me pause and think "oh wait, he's serious" plus your sniping at me made it appear that you're pretty hotly invested in it all too. Perhaps that was your own nerve you struck by mistake? :)

I think you're overshooting KH3 but I can see a DQH style 1m+ shipment announced for Japan + Asia, with tracked sellthrough around 800k. Only one game in the series ever cleared a million and that was a decade/2 generations ago.

Fisico

I think their best bet is to hope Star Ocean 5 is successful and then try to parlay that into more agreements with Square Enix.

They could also consider becoming a licensed game partner for Namco as you said, which usually at least has a reasonable line-up of work.

Eh, would be rather ironic.
I'm a bit confused by the Nepro buyout in the end, did they just gave Tri-Ace free money?

MilkBeard

A little bit worried about Exist Archive; I wonder what they expected. I think the game probably had a strict budget so I hope it did okay for their expectation.

As for the WiiU bump, hopefully it means that #FE will do well, considering the system seems to be abuzz this holiday, and a few games are doing well. Time will tell. Expectations are low, I know, from people in this forum. But I hope it at least does as well as Xenoblade X (which was only slightly decent to begin with).

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Not super related this week, but:

CRMpIvsWEAEUYYp.png-large.png

So we're expecting Media Create for this week tomorrow and no reports until Jan, right?

A little bit worried about Exist Archive; I wonder what they expected. I think the game probably had a strict budget so I hope it did okay for their expectation.

As for the WiiU bump, hopefully it means that #FE will do well, considering the system seems to be abuzz this holiday, and a few games are doing well. Time will tell. Expectations are low, I know, from people in this forum. But I hope it at least does as well as Xenoblade X (which was only slightly decent to begin with).

Problem is nothing but Splatoon & Mario Maker are really selling on Wii U. Taiko barely charted, and then that's it, right? Anyways, preorders for #FE in some chains are super low, so don't keep your hopes up....

Top Bottom