• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 7, 2014 (Feb 10 - Feb 16)

Tratorn

Comgnet Ranking:

Code:
01. [PS3] Yakuza Ishin! - 296Pt
02. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters 2 - 198pt
03. [3DS] miracle to Kuroko's Basketball victory - 127pt
04. [PS4] Yakuza Ishin! - 111Pt
05. [PS4] Battlefield 4 - 54Pt
06. [PS4] Killzone Shadow Fall - 42Pt
07. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe - 29pt
08. [PS4] Dynasty Warriors 7 - 26pt
09. [3DS] Yokai Watch - 26pt
10. [3DS] Pazudora Z - 26Pt
11. [WIU] Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - 21pt
12. [PS4] Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag - 21pt
13. [PS4] Call of Duty Ghosts - 18pt
14. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 18pt
15. [PS4] Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - 15pt
16. [3DS] Puyo Tetris - 14pt
17. [PS3] Diablo 3 - 13pt
18. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World - 12pt
19. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto 5 - 12pt
20. [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME VS FULL BOOST - 12pt

Thanks.
Could you/someone post a comparison with wiiu at launch?

BKK

PlayStation 1 - ¥39.800
Saturn - ¥44.800

When 3D generation started HW prices exploded

Just to be pedantic, it was the CD generation when prices really exploded, they dropped down quite a bit for the 3D generation :)

1991.09.21 PC Engine Duo (¥59.800)
1992.04.01 Wondermega (¥82.800)
1993.02.20 FM Towns Marty (¥98.800)
1994.09.09 Neo Geo CD (¥49.800)

Comgnet Ranking:

Code:
01. [PS3] Yakuza Ishin! - 296Pt
02. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters 2 - 198pt
03. [3DS] miracle to Kuroko's Basketball victory - 127pt
04. [PS4] Yakuza Ishin! - 111Pt
05. [PS4] Battlefield 4 - 54Pt
06. [PS4] Killzone Shadow Fall - 42Pt
07. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe - 29pt
08. [PS4] Dynasty Warriors 7 - 26pt
09. [3DS] Yokai Watch - 26pt
10. [3DS] Pazudora Z - 26Pt
11. [WIU] Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - 21pt
12. [PS4] Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag - 21pt
13. [PS4] Call of Duty Ghosts - 18pt
14. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 - 18pt
15. [PS4] Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - 15pt
16. [3DS] Puyo Tetris - 14pt
17. [PS3] Diablo 3 - 13pt
18. [WIU] Super Mario 3D World - 12pt
19. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto 5 - 12pt
20. [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam EXTREME VS FULL BOOST - 12pt

So Ishin PS4 probably <80K (seeing how it's below DQ).

Replicant

Interesting launch story:

http://translate.google.com/transla...famitsu.com/news/201402/22048717.html&act=url

Some parts of the paragraph:

The launch pattern of Playstation 4 at Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, Akihabara, Shibuya, and Yurakucho

A close to 150 people gathered around 7AM at the Akihabara branch of Yodobashi Camera

Bear in mind that this was in the middle of winter so the early morning of February is chilly indeed. At the Yodobashi Camera Akihabara, the queues were divided into two: for those who have pre-ordered and those who came without one. The first person who stand up for reservation had been waiting since 3PM the day before. Most people answered with "Graphic", "Online", "Specs" when being asked as to what attracted them to PS4.

When the time gets to 6.30AM, the countdown event started. The number of people continued to increase gradually over time until it reached about 100 people for people who already pre-ordered and about 50 people for those who did not pre-order.

Yurakucho Bic Camera

Bic Camera at Yurakucho had provided a special section for PS4 on the first floor of its store. At first the queues were short but just before it reached 7AM, more than 60 people had lined up. The countdown event was also held at the store.

The queues got longer and longer at the Ikebukuro Bic Camera until it reached over 80 people when it opened

The reporter arrived at the store at about 6AM when only about 15 people lined up. As the time gets closer to its 7AM opening, the line had over 80 people. When asked about the appeal of PS4, some people answered that it's the "Share" function, while others answered with "beautiful graphic"

Hardcore gamers gathered in Shinjuku Nishiguchi, the Yodobashi Camera Head Store

At the opening, which was 7AM, there were about 50 people. The customers were mixture of students and working people. There are still some stock left 1 hour after the opening.

The queue for Big Camera at Shinjuku Nishiguchi store

There were about 40 people gathered at this store by the time it opened at 7AM with more people continued to pour in after that. There was a lottery that took place for people who responded to questionnaire. The most wanted softwares are "Ryuu ga Gotoku: Ishin", "Killzone Shadow Fall", "Asukuri 4: Black Flag", and Battlefield 4".

Playstation 4 was popular at Shibuya Tsutaya store

The Tsutaya store at Shibuya began selling PS4 from 6.30AM. About 70 already gathered just before the opening. "Ryuu ga Gotoku: Ishin" and "AC4: Black Flag" were the popular software choice. Many also bought the vertical stand.

BKK

So Tokyo has an import scene right? At least for western PC and Xbox games. If you're that hardcore why would you camp out 18 hours in the freezing cold to buy a console you could have bought 3 months earlier? US even has the same BD region as JP, but if they want to wait for an Asian version they could have bought that 2 months prior too, it's not as if it's even supply constrained in Asia as it is in the West.

In about 1.5 hour, Tsutaya (retailer with ~700 store that sell video games) will post their last week sw ranking. We will be able to estimate how PS4 games sold based on their positioning.

antibolo

Banned
So Tokyo has an import scene right? At least for western PC and Xbox games. If you're that hardcore why would you camp out 18 hours in the freezing cold to buy a console you could have bought 3 months earlier? US even has the same BD region as JP, but if they want to wait for an Asian version they could have bought that 2 months prior too, it's not as if it's even supply constrained in Asia as it is in the West.

Maybe they really hate the Wrong X/O Button Layout on western PS4s.

Caronte

Maybe they want a Japanese console and not one from China.

Thanks.
Could you/someone post a comparison with wiiu at launch?
[WiiU] New Super Mario Bros. U – 138pt (170.563)
[WiiU] Monster Hunter 3G HD Ver. – 58pt (110.149)
[WiiU] Nintendo Land – 57pt (78.461)
[WiiU] ZombiU – 16pt (11.226)

[PS4] Yakuza Ishin! - 111pt
[PS4] Battlefield 4 - 54pt
[PS4] Killzone Shadow Fall - 42pt
[PS4] Dynasty Warriors 7 - 26pt
[PS4] Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag - 21pt
[PS4] Call of Duty Ghosts - 18pt
[PS4] Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - 15pt

darkwing

[WiiU] New Super Mario Bros. U – 138pt (170.563)
[WiiU] Monster Hunter 3G HD Ver. – 58pt (110.149)
[WiiU] Nintendo Land – 57pt (78.461)
[WiiU] ZombiU – 16pt (11.226)

[PS4] Yakuza Ishin! - 111pt
[PS4] Battlefield 4 - 54pt
[PS4] Killzone Shadow Fall - 42pt
[PS4] Dynasty Warriors 7 - 26pt
[PS4] Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag - 21pt
[PS4] Call of Duty Ghosts - 18pt
[PS4] Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - 15pt

ouch PS4 doing worse? Does not bode well for launch figures

Road

An US import PS4 was 80,000 yen in November. Maybe it was more expensive or cheaper to get one from Asian countries, I don't know. But if you know it is coming out in a couple of months for half the price (nevermind local support etc.), would you import one?

I don't know why Japanese like to line up, I only know they do. But do they like to waste money?

Anyway, I imagine there was a part of the hardcore gamers that decided to go online shopping, seeing as how many internet stores sold-out while physical stores have plenty of stock.

antibolo

Banned
Yeah me too, but Asian PS has same as Japan, and that's been available for 2 months already.

Oh yeah I forgot about that.

Although one thing that would definitely suck for them is that Asia is not in the same BD region as Japan.

antibolo

Banned
But Asia is the same BD region as Japan (Region A)

Oops, you're right, got my regions mixed up.

The change from DVD to DB regions is confusing (although I'm not complaining because NA and Japan are now in the same region).

With that said, on the DVD side Japan is definitely not in the same region as Asia (2 vs 3).

BKK

An US import PS4 was 80,000 yen in November. Maybe it was more expensive or cheaper to get one from Asian countries, I don't know. But if you know it is coming out in a couple of months for half the price (nevermind local support etc.), would you import one?

I don't know why Japanese like to line up, I only know they do. But do they like to waste money?

Yes, that's the most likely explanation. PS3 was similar price or cheaper to JP in HK, but PS4 is 3380HK = ¥44700, so quite a bit more expensive. Add import taxes, shipping, retailer mark up and It would add up. But November was before Asian release and whilst it was sold out in the West, importers could really bump up the price then. I would guess post Asian launch price would be closer to 60k in Japan. Anyway, my point wasn't really about sales (importers are always a tiny minority), I just found it bizarre (as we haven't really seen this situation before where a Japanese console launches last in Japan) that "hardcore" fans would wait out overnight in the cold for something they could have bought in Tokyo months ago. I guess as the Japanese market share continues to decline they'll get more attuned to having to import to be first on the block.

BKK

Oops, you're right, got my regions mixed up.

The change from DVD to DB regions is confusing (although I'm not complaining because NA and Japan are now in the same region).

With that said, on the DVD side Japan is definitely not in the same region as Asia (2 vs 3).

Yes, that is the only issue, but in this day and age it's not a big deal (how many people buy a PS4 to play DVDs?). I was disappointed that Asian PS3s could not play VCDs, but it was never an issue for buying one.

antibolo

Banned
Personally I would never import a console just because it's not out in my region yet, because even though it's mostly region free there is still the possibility that the platform holder may change their mind halfway through. We already know that region locking is possible on the PS3, even though it was only a single game it has set a precedent, Sony could just decide at any point to bow down to the wills of the publishers and allow region locking for any game.

Tsutaya top 20 is out:

http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/rank/game.html?r=W090&moid=rank_sgame

Yakuza PS4 > DQ. The first DQ monsters sold 80K in it's 3rd week, so Yakuza PS4 probably >80K.

Killzone < DQ & Kuroko's Basketball but higher than Yokai Watch and DK. So probably >30K.

BF4 less than Yokai Watch but higher than DK. So probably 20-25K.

DW8 less than Yokai watch and DK but higher than Kirby. So probably 15-20K.

Everything else is less than Puyo Tetris 3DS, so probably <10K.

BKK

Personally I would never import a console just because it's not out in my region yet, because even though it's mostly region free there is still the possibility that the platform holder may change their mind halfway through. We already know that region locking is possible on the PS3, even though it was only a single game it has set a precedent, Sony could just decide at any point to bow down to the wills of the publishers and allow region locking for any game.

To be fair SCEJA now offer a warranty with PS4 (or PSV) that is valid throughout the Asian region. For example; you can buy a PS4 in Hong Kong, and get it repaired under warranty in Thailand. Their Asian support is really improving.

jeremy1456

PS4 is doing a bit better on those Comgnet numbers. WiiU had 269 copies (points), while the PS4 had 287 copies (points).

It's not as easily comparable as that when it comes to overall sales.

Just look at how NSMBU and MH3G sold. Compare their overall sales that week and the comgnet numbers.

Tsutaya top 20 is out:

http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/rank/game.html?r=W090&moid=rank_sgame

Yakuza PS4 > DQ. The first DQ monsters sold 80K in it's 3rd week, so Yakuza PS4 probably >80K.

Killzone < DQ & Kuroko's Basketball but higher than Yokai Watch and DK. So probably >30K.

BF4 less than Yokai Watch but higher than DK. So probably 20-25K.

DW8 less than Yokai watch and DK but higher than Kirby. So probably 15-20K.

Everything else is less than Puyo Tetris 3DS, so probably <10K.

So is this just for one chain of stores? How much of the market does it represent?

test_account

XP-39C²
It's not as easily comparable as that when it comes to overall sales.

Just look at how NSMBU and MH3G sold. Compare their overall sales that week and the comgnet numbers.
True, but i think this is basically the only way you can do a straight-forward comparsion. A game that ranks with 100 Comgnet points might sell for example 50k, while another title that also gets 100 Comgnet ponts might sell 100k instead. There isnt any real pattern to look at (at least not from what i've seen), so adding the points up shows how many total copies that were sold at Comgnet.

Otherwise i think its better to look at the titles instead and judge more from that. New Super Mario Bros U, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate HD and Nintendoland all seemed to have better sales potential at launch compared to what the PS4 had. So i will not be surprised if the WiiU sold more software in the top 50 at launch week compared to what the PS4 did.

BKK

^ Not according to my browser (65% sold out all SKUs, 85% sold out camera SKU)

Edit: Sorry, missed the "Tokyo" part :p

Based on my previous post:

Yakuza PS4 >80K
Killzone >30K
BF4 20-25K
DW8 15-20K
COD, Tomb Raider, FIFA, AC4 <10K
Need for speed can't be higher than 5K.

Total sw sales: 190-200K

Assuming attach ratio of 0.8: 238-250K HW sales.

Personally I would say 270-280K.

Based on my previous post:

Yakuza PS4 >80K
Killzone >30K
BF4 20-25K
DW8 15-20K
COD, Tomb Raider, FIFA, AC4 <10K
Need for speed can't be higher than 5K.

Total sw sales: 190-200K

Assuming attach ratio of 0.8: 238-250K HW sales.

Personally I would say 270-280K.

So that chain of stores would be representative of all hardware sales? Are there no other chains of stores that should be taken into account?

Feels a bit like trying to extrapolate all console sales in the US off of just what Best Buy sold although I must admit I'm not aware of stores in Japan

Or is the 30K extra for the other stores?

So that chain of stores would be representative of all hardware sales? Are there no other chains of stores that should be taken into account?

Feels a bit like trying to extrapolate all console sales in the US off of just what Best Buy sold although I must admit I'm not aware of stores in Japan

It's the biggest retailer that sell video games in Japan I think. SW ranking should be near identical to MC & Famitsu ranking.

It's the biggest retailer that sell video games in Japan I think. SW ranking should be near identical to MC & Famitsu ranking.

Not to be annoying I am truly curious but if you had to guess how much of the hardware sales market do you think Tsutaya has?

I know its 700 stores which sounds a lot but is it greater than 70% of the retailer market would you say?

Not to be annoying I am truly curious but if you had to guess how much of the hardware sales market do you think Tsutaya has?

I know its 700 stores which sounds a lot but is it greater than 70% of the retailer market would you say?

Ofc no.

According to Aqua Famitsu tracks 3600+ stores.

Top Bottom