• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 19th-25th Dec

Izzy

Banned
Absolutely monstrous Kingdom Hearts II and DS software sales. And even Katamari PSP seems to be doing better than its PS2 predecessor (total flop in JP) - and Monster Hunter's got legs!

Next week could be even better - Mario & Luigi 2 and Brain Training 2 for DS and Super Robot Wars MX is due for PSP!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
SantaCruZer said:
the DS threads from 1 year ago would be fun to see now :lol

so much crow eating.
"Now that the PSP is eating shares in the handheld market, Nintendo is doomed."

jarrod

Banned
ioi said:
Rough estimates for the other games in the top 30:

Code:
Kingdom Hearts II	 727.6 
Animal Crossing: Wild World	 416.1 
Mario Kart DS	 302.7 
Naruto: Narutimate Hero 3	 217.0 
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Blue	 157.8 
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Red	 156.4 
Tamagotchi	 156.2 
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence	 103.9 
Mario Party 7	 100.1 
Brain Training	 93.2 
Gentle Brain Training	 77.0 
Dragonball Z	 55.0 
Rockman EXE 6	 50.0 
Slime Mori Mori 2	 47.0 
Tales of the Abyss	 45.0 
Naruto 4 GC	 42.0 
Daredemo Asobi Taisen	 39.0 
Mushi King DS	 36.0 
Rockman EXE 6	 34.0 
Monster Hunter Portable	 32.0 
Pokemon Torouze	 30.0 
Katamari PSP	 29.0 
Prince of Tennis	 28.0 
Nintendogs	 27.0 
Ryu Ga Gotoku	 26.0 
Nintendogs	 25.0 
Nintendogs	 24.0 
Final Fantasy IV	 23.0 
Ratchet & Clank	 22.0 
Rogue Galaxy	 21.0

So Nintendogs on ~76k as well!
Hey ioi, happen to have estimated total sales for the DS/PSP library so far? If not every title, then how about those over 100k?

Izzy said:
Absolutely monstrous Kingdom Hearts II and DS software sales. And even Katamari PSP seems to be doing better than its PS2 predecessor (total flop in JP) - and Monster Hunter's got legs!

Next week could be even better - Mario & Luigi 2 and Brain Training 2 for DS and Super Robot Wars MX is due for PSP!
We love Katamari did over 100k iirc, quite better than its predecessor. PSP isnt doing good...

ioi

Banned
Erm.... I have some but I'm working on it at the moment but I'll update when I have more numbers.

Izzy

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
We love Katamari did over 100k iirc, quite better than its predecessor.

Are you sure ? I thought it flopped horribly in JP, and did reasonably well in the US.

holy shit @ Dobutsu no Mori sales. It's like every jr high school student (especially girls) bought that game in the past week or so. At least, at the schools i teach at.

KH2 has a list price of around 7700, but day 1 sales dropped the price in a lot of places. I picked it up for about 5500 at Geo, myself.

ioi said:
No, no, no.

This is the biggest week.

I'm afraid sales will be dropping off to ~70% of these numbers next week (still another 250k for AC, 170k for MK etc)...

But Brain Training 2 and Mario & Luigi are out!

Yep, you're right. Just checked last years sales and everything had big drops apart from PS2 and PSP. Still the year before that was slightly different again and like you said the DS has 2 big releases next week, so who knows what the numbers will be.

ioi

Banned
Some nice comparisons:

Animal Crossing is selling better than DK Country 2 did back 10 years ago. Both were released at the same time and the weeks are only a day off from one another. Looks like 2 million is easily within reach...

http://www.everythingandnothing.org...ssing:+Wild+World&name2=Donkey+Kong+Country+2

Mario Kart DS is doing ok compared to Mario Kart 64:

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=Mario+Kart+DS&name2=Mario+Kart+64

The weeks are totally mis-aligned but MK DS is roughly selling similarly to MK 64. I doubt it will have the same kind of legs though, and is likely to slow down ~1.4-1.5m I'd have thought.

Possibly another decent comparison is with Mario Party 3:

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=Mario+Kart+DS&name2=Mario+Party+3

Very similar weeks although that chart shows a worryingly large drop-off the next few weeks- a sign of what to expect maybe??

Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon can be compared nicely to something like Diddy Kong Racing which sold ~890k total:

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japcomp.php?name1=Pokemon+Mysterious+Dungeon+Blue&name2=Diddy+Kong+Racing

It's actually boosting more over xmas, so higher sales than that (maybe even 1m) are quite possible...

jarrod

Banned
Yeah... I wonder when DS will see a "real" Tamagotchi pet sim? They should do something along the lines of Nintendogs in terms of presentation and interface.

Izzy said:
Are you sure ? I thought it flopped horribly in JP, and did reasonably well in the US.
Yeah, I looked for the numbers now. Katamari 2 did 61455 in 1st week (MC). 18k more on 2nd week (Famitsu). Can't find later charts now...

Katamari PSP is behind Monster Hunter Portable, which isnt good at all :/

ioi

Banned
Another possible comparison (although this is stretching things a little) would be between Animal Crossing and the original Donkey Kong Country in '94 which sold THREE MILLION in total:

http://www.everythingandnothing.org...rossing:+Wild+World&name2=Donkey+Kong+Country

DKC is ahead a decent amount and had incredible legs through 95 but who knows?

What it does show is the possible pattern for the next couple of weeks though, quite a large drop next week (274k -> 146k) then a slight increase the third week of the big three (146k -> 190k). AC has seen a much larger boost over these weeks than DKC did, so the numbers for the next two could be similarly large (maybe 230k next week, 300k week after??- that would be INSANE and put AC almost neck and neck with DKC).

jarrod

Banned
Katamrai is really performing as usual, PSP games can generally expect to move about a third what their brands manage on PS2. Monster Hunter is the only notable exception so far.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This is incredible. So the two strongest non-launch weeks ever are performed by Nintendo DS?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
This is only the beginning. The DS is going to become really nasty next year the likes of which will make fanboys vomit in disgust.

Rev+DS+PS3 FTD!

I wonder when Nintendo will release a press statement bragging about having the fastest selling gaming machine in Japan history.

EDIT: I wonder what Sony is thinking when they look at these numbers. They must be scratching their heads going "HOW?! We did everything with Gusto!".

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
fan-freaking-tastic

The DS is pretty much cemented as THE handheld to develop for in Japan... plenty of software possibilities to come out over here. Excellent.

Now how about making the beginning of the year drought a short one.

ioi

Banned
Yoshi said:
This is incredible. So the two strongest non-launch weeks ever are performed by Nintendo DS?

I believe so, and this week is virtually the same as the GBA and PS2 launch weeks (both ~610k or so).

DS vs PSP vs GBA updated:

http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/dspsp.php

Remember GBA was previous fastest to 5m (14 months) and PS2 took 17 months.

DS could have passed 6m in the next two weeks!!

I really think we are seeing something special here guys...

donny2112

Yoshi said:

Yep. :)

Back-to-back(-to-back for again next week? Not higher than this week, but higher than any non-launch, non-DS week.)

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
WOW! If 604k is correct then DS sold 1m units in just two non-launch weeks. Madness

ioi said:

Pretty incredible how DS is well down on GBA by some 1.3m at one point (obviously different times of year corresponding to different weeks-since-launch) and then in these last 3 weeks it shifts some 1.3m units to become the fastest video-game machine to 5m. Is this just some holiday season insanity in Japan or has the DS only just properly cracked Japan in the last month or so?

Jonnyram

604k!?
I just can't think of anything to say...
There's still a week to go and the DS has already sold 1.4M this month!?
Anyone reckon it could hit 2M for the month?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Do you think it has more to do with Nintendo making games people actually want to play, or is it more a function of cost, as the PSP+games costs a lot more than a NDS+games...?

I'd have to say it is a combination of both most likely...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

I am not much of a sales buff like some of you guys, but that is just incredible if true. It's crazy and just never happens much anymore.

ioi

Banned
Well this is kind of pointless, but just so people have some numbers to see just HOW MUCH the DS is stomping everything else:

Code:
Week	PS2 2001			GBA 2001			GBA 2002			DS 2005	
1	 108 	 108 		 44 	 44 		 120 	 120 		 177 	 177 
2	 103 	 211 		 39 	 83 		 135 	 255 		 299 	 476 
3	 184 	 395 		 121 	 204 		 197 	 452 		 409 	 885 
4	 222 	 617 		 265 	 469 		 304 	 756 		 604	1,489
5	 249 	 866 		 216 	 685 		 263 	 1,019 			
6	 315 	 1,181 		 286 	 971 		 317 	 1,336 			
7	 114 	 1,295 		 88 	 1,059 		 85 	 1,421

Three weeks left yet and it's already all over.

I thought I was optimistic when I said a couple of weeks ago that DS would sell as much as last holiday in Japan but to sell half again as much is just amazing.

EatCrow.gif

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
ioi said:
Code:
Week	PS2 2001		GBA 2001	        GBA 2002	        DS 2005	
1	 108 	 108 		 44 	 44 		120 	120 		177 	 177 
2	 103 	 211 		 39 	 83 		135 	255 	        299 	 476 
3	 184 	 395 		 121 	 204 		197 	452 		409 	 885 
4	 222 	 617 		 265 	 469 		304 	756 		604	 1,489
5	 249 	 866 		 216 	 685 		263 	1,019 			
6	 315 	 1,181 		 286 	 971 		317 	1,336 			
7	 114 	 1,295 		 88 	 1,059 		85 	1,421

Three weeks left yet and it's already all over.

holy crap what happens in week6? Are you guys expecting DS sales to top 600k? wtf!

EDIT: sorry it's week 6 not 7

callous

Jesus Christ. Nintendo must be raking it into their already brimming war chest. The pen is indeed mightier than the .. er .. bigger screen.

Doogdogg

MrSardonic said:
holy crap what happens in week7? Are you guys expecting DS sales to top 600k for week7 of ioi's chart? wtf!

Supposedly it is the biggest week in Japan so I don't see why not.

Nintendo must be shipping mad units for this type of demand. The real question is do they have enough? ;)

Jonnyram

ioi said:
Rough estimates for the other games in the top 30:

Code:
Gentle Brain Training	 77.0 
Rockman EXE 6	 50.0 
Slime Mori Mori 2	 47.0 
Rockman EXE 6	 34.0 
Nintendogs	 27.0 
Nintendogs	 25.0 
Nintendogs	 24.0
So Nintendogs on ~76k as well!
How did you "estimate" these? Shinobi is saying that Nintendogs sold 100k between them, as did the two versions of Rockman EXE 6. Gentle Brain Training also sold about 100k, taking it to a total of 850k and Slime Mori Mori DQ2 is at a total of 200k now.

Top Bottom