• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 19th-25th Dec

SantaC

jarrod said:
Old NES IPs are what put PlayStation on the map.

hmm yeah let's see. Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Metal Gear (though it was on MSX also), Castlevania. Once NES games, are among the most popular games on playstation. You pretty much told him there :lol

And it's also a reason why many Nintendo fans also like playstation.

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:
That's the problem with your site, we don't know what numbers are your guesses and what numbers have been reported by the various firms.

For example, http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japweekly.php?date=38711. When someone looks at that they think they're numbers reported by one of the firms but you don't make it clear how you came to them.

It's reported numbers as far as we have reported numbers and educated and reasoned estimations to fill in the gaps (Famitsu monthly sales are useful, their top 100s of the year, the occasional MC report I stumble upon) they are about as accurate as they can possibly be (in my opinion of course).

Go back a year and it's spot on. 6 months ago pretty close. Last month is basically famitsu / mc numbers times an arbitrary scale factor and last week or two are half complete waiting for more numbers.

Hope that clarifies a bit. It's not just pie in the sky estimating, there is a hell of a lot of data analysis, trend fitting and so on behind it all (and CESA yearly reports, old dengeki reports, the publically available Famitsu numbers we all use and Media Create reports the following month all help).

I was referring specifically to the 'rough guesses' I posted on the first page of this thread which were meant only as a ballpark guide and yes I have used those numbers for now on the site to avoid only having a top 10, in a similar way I have estimated PSP sales at ~140k for this week to bring the DS vs PSP vs GBA chart up to date.

DarkMehm

Code:
Kingdom Hearts II	 727.6 
Animal Crossing: Wild World	 416.1 
Mario Kart DS	 302.7 
Naruto: Narutimate Hero 3	 217.0 
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Blue	 157.8 
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Red	 156.4 
Tamagotchi	 156.2 
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence	 103.9 
Mario Party 7	 100.1 
Brain Training	 93.2 
Gentle Brain Training	 85.0 
Dragonball Z	 70.0 
Rockman EXE 6	 65.0 
Slime Mori Mori 2	 59.0 
Tales of the Abyss	 56.0 
Naruto 4 GC	 53.0 
Daredemo Asobi Taisen	 50.0 
Mushi King DS	 47.0 
Rockman EXE 6	 45.0 
Monster Hunter Portable	 43.0 
Pokemon Torouze	 41.0 
Katamari PSP	 39.0 
Prince of Tennis	 37.0 
Nintendogs	 35.0 
Ryu Ga Gotoku	 33.5 
Nintendogs	 32.0 
Nintendogs	 31.0 
Final Fantasy IV	 30.0 
Ratchet & Clank	 29.5 
Rogue Galaxy	 29.0

Or maybe even post some numbers youself :p

These are better. :)

ioi

Banned
DarkMehm said:
These are better. :)

Any glaring errors still because using those numbers Slime Mori Mori 2 is still nowhere near 200k...

Had the old "the top 100 this week totalled 2.24m in sales" or whatever then I'm sure my original estimations would have been much closer :p

And if they are about right then that's an impressive performance to date for the other 3rd party DS 'flops' (Slime, Dragonball Z, Mushi King) which doing pretty well.

Culex

Banned
This hasn't been mentioned yet, but since the software numbers are early again this week, does this mean the hardware numbers will be out today or tomorrow?

I'd hate to be away today and not have a chance to update.

not trying to draw parrallels between portable and console gaming, but uh, something tells me Nintendo´s stratedgy is totally going to work for Revolution as well.

i´d really like to know what MS and Sony think of Nintendo´s current strat, and world-wide DS numbers that keep hitting every week.

KINGMOKU

phantomile co. said:
not trying to draw parrallels between portable and console gaming, but uh, something tells me Nintendo´s stratedgy is totally going to work for Revolution as well.

i´d really like to know what MS and Sony think of Nintendo´s current strat, and world-wide DS numbers that keep hitting every week.
That's what I'm thinking.

People LOVE new, and cool ideas, and a perfect example of that is the DS. It does things no other videogame system has, and people have eaten it up like crack-laced cookies.

If the reaction is the same for the brand-new, never done-before Revolution, we could see some sick-ass numbers coming from Nintendo.

That is of course if DS sales, have ANY bearing on Rev sales. Nintendo should be including a small DVD filled with Rev crap with every DS sold in every country. Seriously.

"You love the touch screen, and new ideas! Well, have we got a home-console for you!"

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Is Brain Training 2 still coming out tomorrow, or has it been delayed?

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Amazing DS sales once again. We had a family get-together on boxing day here in the UK and everybody brings what they got for christmas, there was 6 DS's, I couldn't believe it.

Azelover said:
Is Brain Training 2 still coming out tomorrow, or has it been delayed?

I was wondering that myself haven't heard it mentioned much, it's bound to sell like crazy as well.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Roders5 said:
Amazing DS sales once again. We had a family get-together on boxing day here in the UK and everybody brings what they got for christmas, there was 6 DS's, I couldn't believe it.

I live in the UK too, but I hadn't realised the DS sales were significantly better than the PSP. Most HMV stores I've been to don't even stock Nintendo products and everywhere seems to be pimping the PSP...but I was aware than the Nintendogs bundle was selling like mad, especially to young girls.

Anyone got any sales figures for the UK or Europe?

xaosslug

moku said:
That's what I'm thinking.

People LOVE new, and cool ideas, and a perfect example of that is the DS. It does things no other videogame system has, and people have eaten it up like crack-laced cookies.

If the reaction is the same for the brand-new, never done-before Revolution, we could see some sick-ass numbers coming from Nintendo.

That is of course if DS sales, have ANY bearing on Rev sales. Nintendo should be including a small DVD filled with Rev crap with every DS sold in every country. Seriously.

"You love the touch screen, and new ideas! Well, have we got a home-console for you!"

phantomile co. said:

atta boys. keep fighting that good fight. ::thumbs up::

seriously though. i dun' think so. portable gaming and home console gaming are just different. look at how KHII and RG rose above the handheld muck that's been owning, and PS2 games seem to do that regularly. in console gaming the more traditional offerings seem to be preferred. Nintendo is taking big old gamble. but hey, what else are they gonna do? we shall see. next year should be a new ballgame... once PS3 comes out, everything could well change in the handheld sector. ;)

Meier

MrSardonic said:
The DS has basically outsold the PSP everywhere in the world (including the UK) since the launch of Nintendogs. 604,000.. just mindblowing. Hats off to Nintendo, they've definitely ventured into uncharted territories of success.

Mrbob

How much did Kingdom Hearts sell in its first week?

Meier said:
The DS has basically outsold the PSP everywhere in the world (including the UK) since the launch of Nintendogs. 604,000.. just mindblowing. Hats off to Nintendo, they've definitely ventured into uncharted territories of success.

A little ahead in Europe and NA, but sales are nearly 50/50 in those areas between the two portables.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
MrSardonic said:
I live in the UK too, but I hadn't realised the DS sales were significantly better than the PSP. Most HMV stores I've been to don't even stock Nintendo products and everywhere seems to be pimping the PSP...but I was aware than the Nintendogs bundle was selling like mad, especially to young girls.

PSP will probably sell more at christmas when all is said and done, partly for the reason you said. Everywhere I go it is sitting at the door with big stands and the DS has 2 shelfs in the back corner. Pisses me off something serious, although the game line up here for the DS is abysmal.

Stuff it, I'm moving to Japan.........

ioi

Banned
xaosslug said:
atta boys. keep fighting that good fight. ::thumbs up::

seriously though. i dun' think so. portable gaming and home console gaming are just different. look at how KHII and RG rose above the handheld muck that's been owning, and PS2 games seem to do that regularly. in console gaming the more traditional offerings seem to be preferred. Nintendo is taking big old gamble. but hey, what else are they gonna do? we shall see. next year should be a new ballgame... once PS3 comes out, everything could well change in the handheld sector. ;)

I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make there, that mediocre sales of Rogue Galaxy and strong but hardly unexpected sales of Kingdom Hearts II somehow show that Revolution has no chance against PS3?

Contrived indeed...

xaosslug

ioi said:
I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make there, that mediocre sales of Rogue Galaxy and strong but hardly unexpected sales of Kingdom Hearts II somehow show that Revolution has no chance against PS3?

hey now, Rogue Galaxy did pretty well for a new IP. and look at that, it's an actual game to boot. Yawza! :p

not saying it has "no chance" per se, everything has a chance. even X360 has a chance in Japan. sure. but, it's unprecedented, current handheld console domination aside. that’s all I’m saying.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
verplant said:
ac_ds_sex.jpg

Another more complete list:

01. PS2 Kingdom Hearts II 727.591 727.591 (Square Enix)
02. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 416.132 1.177.108 (Nintendo)
03. NDS Mario Kart DS 302.742 667.799 (Nintendo)
04. PS2 Naruto: Narutimate Hero 3 216.966 216.966 (Bandai)
05. NDS Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Blue Rescue Force 157.786 511.704 (Nintendo)
06. GBA Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Red Rescue Force 156.430 512.054 (Nintendo)
07. NDS Tamagotchi no PuchiPuchi Omisecchi 156.181 721.104 (Bandai)
08. PS2 Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence 103.894 103.894 (Konami)
09. NGC Mario Party 7 100.130 319.650 (Nintendo)
10. NDS Brain Training 93.240 1.004.681 (Nintendo)
11. NDS Gentle Brain Training (Nintendo)
12. NDS Dragonball Z (Bandai)
13. GBA Rockman EXE 6 (Capcom)
14. NDS Slime Mori Mori 2 (Square Enix)
15. PS2 Tales of the Abyss (Namco)
16. NGC Naruto 4 GC (Tommy)
17. NDS Daredemo Asobi Taisen (Nintendo)
18. NDS Mushi King DS (Sega)
19. GBA Rockman EXE 6 (Capcom)
20. PSP Monster Hunter Portable (Capcom)
21. NDS Pokemon Torouze (Nintendo)
22. PSP Katamari PSP (Namco)
23. PS2 Prince of Tennis (Konami)
24. NDS Nintendogs: Shiba (Nintendo)
25. PS2 Ryu Ga Gotoku (Sega)
26. NDS Nintendogs: Dachshund (Nintendo)
27. NDS Nintendogs: Chihuahua (Nintendo)
28. GBA Final Fantasy IV (Square Enix)
29. PS2 Ratchet & Clank (Sony)
30. PS2 Rogue Galaxy (Square Enix)

thank you for the picture. :)

ioi

Banned
I hope people realise that this is the largest week of sales since launch for:

Animal Crossing
Mario Kart DS
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon
Tamogotchi
Brain Training
Brain Training Gentle

So all 6 games sold more this week than their launch week, and all are past or comfortably on their way to a million copies sold.

Most years in the past, Nintendo would have been over the moon to have Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon on DS / GBA, Mario Party 7 and the Brain Trainings still doing so well. But to have Animal Crossing and MK DS doing the amazing numbers they are as well is just something else.

Both copies of Pokemon MD can do a million, so that would only be the 5th GBA game to do a million as well and better than MK:SC, Mario Advance 1 or 2 and so on. I know I'm rambling but what I'm saying is that people aren't even noticing how amazingly well Tamogotchi or Pokemon MD are doing (better than any Gamecube and GBA game of the last 4-5 years apart from Smash Bros, Pokemon and SMB) because the other games are doing so well ! They have just kind of crept up on us but Tamogotchi is going to be the first third party game on Nintendo hardware to do a million in Japan since Dragon Quest Monsters 2 did 1.1m back in 2001 and Pokemon MD could well be the best selling Mysterious Dungeon game yet (Chocobo MD did 1.14m back in 1997)- already is if you combine both versions.

This is definitely a week that has to go down in history for Japanese videogame sales.

Akia

Since the next Brain Training is coming out next week. How high could DS sales get next week. Traditionally sales have dropped going into next week, right? I wonder if the DS could buck that trend.

Nintendo is pimping that game out so I've heard:

IGN said:
Nintendo didn't just hold this press conference to boast about sales, though. The company has some big plans for the DS in the near future, including a follow up to Otona no DS Training. Already announced for release on 12/29, Motto Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training will be backed with a big television advertising campaign featuring one of Japan's most well-known (and hottest!) celebrities, Nanako Matsushima. Matsushima appeared at the press conference and revealed that she used to played games quite a bit, citing hours of Game & Watch play back in the days (didn't know you were so old, Nana-chan!).

It all depends on how fast Nintendo could get DSs out there.

Link

Wow, DS obliteration of the Japanese market continues. So umm...anyone else guessing there's going to be a couple of new 3rd party game announcements? This stuff just gets me excited to see the December NPD numbers :D . I mean, it's gotta be a lot closer to this, right?

Beowvlf

Banned
ioi said:
...mediocre sales of Rogue Galaxy...
I'm sorry, but WTF? If you think first week sales that almost eclipsed Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicles combined LTD is only 'mediocre', then you truly have no idea about sales and what is good and what is not.

RG has sold exceptionally considering it's both a new IP and it's from a studio that has only made 4 games, one of which they merely programmed.

Akia

More details on Touch! Generation titles:

IGN said:
The Touch! Generations series, which includes the successful Otona no DS Training games, Nintendogs and other titles that attempt to reach an audience outside of the typical gamer circle, will be getting a new entry, Nintendo also announced. Perhaps as an answer to the PSP's Talkman, Nintendo will be releasing Tabi no Yubisashi Kaiwacho DS, an adaptation of a series of travel books. Developed by Tosse conjunction with the series' print publisher, the DS versions will allow users to search for words and phrases and have them translated to different languages, all making good use of the system's touch pen and dual screens. Nintendo plans on releasing five entries, one each for Korea, Thailand, China, Germany and America, with a Japanese release is planned for March.
Link

ziran

over 600k for the ds!!!

amazing software sales, great to see :)

animal crossing finally getting the recognition it deserves.

the last press release from iwata about their new strategy was basically:
"it works bitches!" :D

nintendo's been talking about delivering something new to draw more people into videogames (and give existing gamers something different) since the n64 days, but through bad timing things haven't been working until now. however, it's clear the strategy has made up for lost time! this year everything fell into place. innovative software and hardware creating a revelation type punch to consumers. brilliant!

i'd guess this can only mean good things for revolution.

those trying to criticise the japanese taste should blame developers for creating a bored market with endless sequels and repetitive gameplay. remember we're not talking about something like bratz or barbie that gets no interest from the hardcore, most of the games that are being bought on the ds are as hardcore as anything on ps2. just take a look at gaf and you'll see threads on nintendogs and animal crossing with people loving them, and soon you'll be seeing threads on brain training and other so called 'non-games'.

ioi

Banned
Here's a good example:

http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/...+Dungeon+Blue&name2=Mario+Kart:+Double+Dash!!

Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon Blue is tracking ahead of Mario Kart: Double Dash, which was one of the biggest games on GC, same with Pokemon Colosseum:

http://everythingandnothing.org.uk/...sterious+Dungeon+Blue&name2=Pokemon+Colosseum

That is probably a more direct comparison and shows just how well the games lower down the list are doing, never mind the mind-blowing performance of Animal Crossing and Mario Kart DS.

jarrod

Banned
Heian-kyo said:
I'm sorry, but WTF? If you think first week sales that almost eclipsed Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicles combined LTD is only 'mediocre', then you truly have no idea about sales and what is good and what is not.

RG has sold exceptionally considering it's both a new IP and it's from a studio that has only made 4 games, one of which they merely programmed.
Well, Dark Cloud/Chronicle were dungeon crawlers while Rogue Galaxy's a full fledged RPG. It's also gotten quite a push from SCEI, and Level 5's been thrust into the spotlight now thanks to DQ8. I wouldn't call Rogue Galaxy's sales "mediocre"... but they're hardly exceptional either. Big budget RPGs from Sony always sell well, usually a bit better than RG did actually.

ioi

Banned
Heian-kyo said:

Oh god, what have I started now?

Look, Rogue Galaxy has done very well for Level 5 and is a great game from what I have seen and for a new IP blah blah it's done well.

All I'm saying is that in the grand scheme of things it will probably make about top 30-40 list of the year in sales and this thread and the point i was replying to is about sales.

The poster made the point that:

look at how KHII and RG rose above the handheld muck that's been owning, and PS2 games seem to do that regularly

And I don't really see how RG has risen above anything? It barely outsold Mk first week and promptly dropped away while MK has had some amazing sales since. This was always gonna be the case as this is what RPGs do and that is what games like MK do over xmas.

I'm not knocking Rogue Galaxy in any way, but to use it as an example of a game that has 'risen above' the outstanding DS sales over the last month or so is a bit odd in my opinion.

marc^o^ said:
To achieve such numbers, the word of mouth regarding the DS must be amazing in Japan. When a product becomes hot, sales keep getting better and better. DS is making an ipod like performance. Can't wait to see what Nintendo plans are for the DS/Revolution connectivity.
animal crossing is way better than sega's latest bomba

Jonnyram said:
604k!?
I just can't think of anything to say...
There's still a week to go and the DS has already sold 1.4M this month!?
Anyone reckon it could hit 2M for the month?
If these sales are 19-25, there'd only be one more week left: December 26-January 1. Last year DS sales nearly halved from the week of the 20th to the week of the 17th, so I don't think another 600K in that one week.

Big Nate said:
Do you think it has more to do with Nintendo making games people actually want to play, or is it more a function of cost, as the PSP+games costs a lot more than a NDS+games...?

I'd have to say it is a combination of both most likely...
To be setting records I think it would have to be a combination of various factors.

Akia said:
How high could DS sales get next week. Traditionally sales have dropped going into next week, right?
It's not a constant. The closest week to this one last year was the peak for all Nintendo systems. The next week was the peak for PS2 and PSP. And the week after that was the peak for Xbox.

OMG! Everything has been said, the DS breaks records and sells like there is no tomorrow, freaking crazy :D

Congratulations to Nintendo, I think we won't see any 'Nintendo is teh doomed' theories for a few months :lol

ioi

Banned
Frankfurter said:
Congratulations to Nintendo, I think we won't see any 'Nintendo is teh doomed' theories for a few months :lol

Yeah, it's funny how certain people manage to avoid threads like this :lol

We could go back and post quote upon quote upon quote...

koam

0060521996.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This book explains why Nintendo is doing so well with the DS.

Side Note: DS sold more this week than the Xbox 1 did in Japan in its lifecycle. Very impressive numbers.

ioi

Banned
A reminder of the same week last year:

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=29743&highlight=2004+media+create

1 PS2 Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special 201,005
2 DS Super Mario 64 DS 150,550 (416,125)
3 GC Mario Party 6 138,124 (416,563)
4 GBA Yoshi no Banyuuin Ryoku 112,663 (161,344)
5 PS2 Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Konami 110,438 (658,624)
6 GC Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat 107,467 (**155,000)
7 DS Sawaru Made in Wario 106,861 (377,243)
8 GBA Rockman EXE 5 Blue Team 105,104
9 PS2 Dragon Quest VIII 104,211 (3,103,477)
10 GBA Konjiki no Gashbell! Unare Yujou no Dengeki 2 102,210

DS -- 396,674 (1,286,074)
GBASP -- 190,268 (2,530,961)
PS2 -- 188,134 (2,691,666)
GC -- 108,311 (696,839)
PSP -- 107,217 (352,295)
GBA -- 3,877 (198,025)
Xbox -- 704 (37,083)
PSone -- 90 (14,029)
SC -- 76 (7464)

Top 10 all broke 100k again, but nothing like the 300-400k numbers we have this year.

ziran

the ds's 604k looks like it's from dengeki, other info (edit: babelfished):
http://www.dengekionline.com/soft/ranking/ranking.htm

1,007,000 hardware sold

4,374,000 software sold

DS 604,000

1 PS2 Kingdom Hearts II 517,000 (Square Enix)
2. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 431,000 1,263,000 (Nintendo)
3. NDS Mario Kart DS 293,000 662,000 (Nintendo)
4. PS2 Naruto: Narutimate Hero 3 204,000 (Bandai)
5. NDS Tamagotchi no PuchiPuchi Omisecchi (Bandai)
6. NDS Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Blue Rescue Force (Nintendo)
7. GBA Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Red Rescue Force (Nintendo)
8. NGC Mario Party 7 (Nintendo)
9. NDS Brain Training 85,000 1,058,000 (Nintendo)
10. PS2 Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence (Konami)

Top Bottom