• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 19th-25th Dec

Chrono

Banned
Sholmes said:
No no...Ryu Ga Gotoku...we hardly knew ye. Fucking DS and its army of non-games.

Yes, if it weren't for NDS, the people who bought nintendogs would've purchased Ryu Ga Gotoku instead. :lol

600k new DSs
300k new Mario Kart owners

yet I still can't find anyone online to play with... maybe the servers are melting?

There's still a week to go and the DS has already sold 1.4M this month!?
Anyone reckon it could hit 2M for the month?

I'd guess the final Dec figure to be 1.8Million, as much as I'd love to see it break the 2 Million barrier, next week sales will drop off slightly PLUS (as I mentioned in another thread) I have seen a store or two in Osaka who have sold out of DSs... hope Nintendo can replenish by the weekend to go for goal.

If ever there was any doubt that a shit-tonne of quality software sells systems, let it rest in peace! Part of me thinks the reason for the stellar sales is also cause DS isn't seen as that third pillar so much anymore, it's really taking over from GBA now - i mean, GBA 'next' will be long coming at this rate!

Numbers akin to 10 years ago in japan is just amazing! i can't believe it actually!
Lord i can only hope Nintendo finally realises the quality and quantity of software is what sells.. if they can pump out million sellers like this for rev - i wont say it but you know it! Long live the king!!

execs.jpg

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Jonnyram said:
604k!?
Anyone reckon it could hit 2M for the month?

Looking at what ioi posted, the DS looks like it couldn't do 2M for the month of December when you sum weeks 2-5, but if the DS sales pattern mirrors the PS2/GBA in previous holiday seasons then it could do a possible 2M in the month than spans Dec and Jan (summing weeks 3-6)

ioi said:
Code:
Week	PS2 2001		GBA 2001	        GBA 2002	        DS 2005	
1	 108 	 108 		 44 	 44 		120 	120 		177 	 177 
2	 103 	 211 		 39 	 83 		135 	255 	        299 	 476 
3	 184 	 395 		 121 	 204 		197 	452 		409 	 885 
4	 222 	 617 		 265 	 469 		304 	756 		604	 1,489
5	 249 	 866 		 216 	 685 		263 	1,019 			
6	 315 	 1,181 		 286 	 971 		317 	1,336 			
7	 114 	 1,295 		 88 	 1,059 		85 	1,421

Three weeks left yet and it's already all over.

puck1337

Nintendo lucked out by walking into a vacuum in the Japanese market, and they've taken advantage of it. Once they recognized that the DS was healthy, they probably could have delayed part of their holiday lineup, and released it when they had some competition. Instead, they're releasing everything on time and are going for the throat in a big way.

I'm shocked at the continued Animal Crossing sales. Back when Nintendogs was released, I wondered whether it would have Pokemon-like success, or if it would be a more low key hit in the vein of Animal Crossing. Turns out that both scenarios would have been wrong, because Animal Crossing has moved up to another level.

- Gamecube finishing 2nd this gen
- NDS selling like hotcakes a year after release

All those saying that Nintendo should go third party should maybe start looking at MS instead :D

argon

604k?? That's insane!! Go Nintendo!

Since they announced around 5.44mil shipped in Japan, does this mean there are only ~200k left in the country? Seems like Nintendo anticipated demand pretty well so far, but there could still be some serious shortages in the next 3 weeks.

ioi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
How did you "estimate" these? Shinobi is saying that Nintendogs sold 100k between them, as did the two versions of Rockman EXE 6. Gentle Brain Training also sold about 100k, taking it to a total of 850k and Slime Mori Mori DQ2 is at a total of 200k now.

They are pure first-order guesses Jonnyram, if what you say is true then my god- the numbers are absolutely enormous all round.

I think Shinobi may be over-estimating a little. Brain Training did 92k and Gentle has been doing about 80% of what BT has done for the last couple of months, maybe it's closer this week but it obviously needs to be less than 92k.

My guess for Rockman was about 84k both versions, 77k for Gentle BT and 76k for Nintendogs so I'm not that far off if at all.

Also Slime Mori Mori did ~95k as of last week so I think another 105k this week is a little high, especially since it only came 14th and below one of the two versions of Rockman 6 so I think that is a little on the high side as well.

I'd be the first person to jump up and down if my guesses are low, I was trying to be conservative after being accused of guessing far too high in the past :)

Culex

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo will have a press release regarding it's DS sales for December?

It is breaking all records, after all.

Culex

Banned
argon said:

Since they announced around 5.44mil shipped in Japan, does this mean there are only ~200k left in the country? Seems like Nintendo anticipated demand pretty well so far, but there could still be some serious shortages in the next 3 weeks.

At that certain snapshot in time, Nintendo had shipped 5.44 million DS. You're thinking along the lines that they haven't shipped any new systems since then, which would be a ridiculous assumption.

ioi

Banned
argon said:

No, no, no... they will have already shipped another 500k don't you worry.

This was the point made in the '5.44m shipped' thread- that these numbers are pretty current as DS is shifting such huge amounts at the moment and likely selling as quickly as Nintendo are making them, but when is the last time there was ever a shortage of a Nintendo game / hardware in Japan? They must be very efficient at getting stock out there.

Shaheed79 said:
So so bitter you can taste it.

You bet your ass I'm bitter. An original IP by Sega that's legitimately good falls into an abyss while a deluge of non-game poppycock like fucking ANIMAL CROSSING and TAMAGOTCHI sell boatloads and you guys just cum all over the walls. Nevertheless, I'm treading on touchy ground here and should take my leave.

Enjoy the victory...bitches.

ioi

Banned
DarkMehm said:
@Jonnyram:

He thinks that his guesses are very accurate. Just let him...

I don't at all.

We don't have any more numbers and are unlikely to get anything past the top 10 until Famitsu comes out next week or so.

Unless you wanna pay Media Create's extortionate rates to get their reports every week and post the numbers here then all I'm trying to do is offer a reasonable guess as to what the other numbers are.

What I normally do is take the usual piece of info that MC do publish (how much the top 100 games combined sells) and fit this to an averaged set of data I have to give a good correlation.

This is about the best you can do without purchasing the actual reports and so on.

This time of year is notoriously hard to second guess as numbers are so high and fairly erratic, but these are my offerings.

I'm not saying they are fact at all, just sensible guesses and the best we have until more numbers arrive so I don't know why people are so quick to jump in and knock them, especially when Famitsu and Media Create numbers differ so much themselves anyway...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
To achieve such numbers, the word of mouth regarding the DS must be amazing in Japan. When a product becomes hot, sales keep getting better and better. DS is making an ipod like performance. Can't wait to see what Nintendo plans are for the DS/Revolution connectivity.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Sholmes said:
You bet your ass I'm bitter. An original IP by Sega that's legitimately good falls into an abyss while a deluge of non-game poppycock like fucking ANIMAL CROSSING and TAMAGOTCHI sell boatloads and you guys just cum all over the walls. Nevertheless, I'm treading on touchy ground here and should take my leave.

Enjoy the victory...bitches.

What the Hell does DS's success have to do with Ryu ga Gotoku sales? Stop being so anal it has nothing to do with that. Blame the people who bought Kingdom Hearts II or something.

Edited for sanity.

TehOh

Fuzzy said:
What a boring thread.

Just you wait until hardware numbers come out. :)

Jesus, Kingdom Hearts 2 sold well. It must be as good as people are saying it is. Good on Nintendo with AC and MK.

I think that Japan just ran out of DSes, lol.

AirBrian

solarplexus said:
Posted?

Some Hardware tidbits

Nintendo DS 604,000

http://www.gamefront.de
Oh my!

puck1337 said:
Nintendo lucked out by walking into a vacuum in the Japanese market, and they've taken advantage of it. Once they recognized that the DS was healthy, they probably could have delayed part of their holiday lineup, and released it when they had some competition. Instead, they're releasing everything on time and are going for the throat in a big way.

I'm shocked at the continued Animal Crossing sales. Back when Nintendogs was released, I wondered whether it would have Pokemon-like success, or if it would be a more low key hit in the vein of Animal Crossing. Turns out that both scenarios would have been wrong, because Animal Crossing has moved up to another level.
To be fair, Animal Crossing transforms beautifully to a handheld game (or non-game or whatever the hell you want to call it).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
marc^o^ said:
Can't wait to see what their plans are for the DS/Revolution connectivity.
if nintendo can meaningfully connect the two devices together, and the MSRP of Rev is around what's been hinted, Japan could see huge sales on Rev (great software provided). Probably 8M+ DSes going into Rev launch is 8 million people in Japan wh COULD be persuaded to pick up the rev as well if given the right incentives.

Amir0x

Banned
You can't only blame Japan for non-games, US and Europe and buying that shit up like mad too.

Everyone across the world is having bad taste fever, and it's only growing. BLAME YOURSELF OR GOD.

DarkMehm

ioi said:
I don't at all.

We don't have any more numbers and are unlikely to get anything past the top 10 until Famitsu comes out next week or so.

Unless you wanna pay Media Create's extortionate rates to get their reports every week and post the numbers here then all I'm trying to do is offer a reasonable guess as to what the other numbers are.

What I normally do is take the usual piece of info that MC do publish (how much the top 100 games combined sells) and fit this to an averaged set of data I have to give a good correlation.

This is about the best you can do without purchasing the actual reports and so on.

This time of year is notoriously hard to second guess as numbers are so high and fairly erratic, but these are my offerings.

I'm not saying they are fact at all, just sensible guesses and the best we have until more numbers arrive so I don't know why people are so quick to jump in and knock them, especially when Famitsu and Media Create numbers differ so much themselves anyway...

I didn't knock them :)

Let me say that the 30th Rogue Galaxy has sold almost 30k. So you should edit your guesses. :)

jarrod

Banned
teiresias said:
Yay for non-games, the future of gaming is sooooo bright.
Pokemon Dungeon, Rockman EXE6, Monster Hunter P, Rogue Galaxy, Tales of the Abyss, Kingdom Hearts 2, Slime Morimori 2, Mario Kart DS, Naruto 4, Mario Party 7, DBZ DS, Daredemo, FF4, R&C4, Mushi King and Pokemon Torouze say "hi".

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Amir0x said:
You can't only blame Japan for non-games, US and Europe and buying that shit up like mad too.

Everyone across the world is having bad taste fever, and it's only growing. BLAME YOURSELF OR GOD.

Its either this or shitty real games. Take your pick.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
jarrod said:
Pokemon Dungeon, Rockman EXE6, Monster Hunter P, Rogue Galaxy, Tales of the Abyss, Kingdom Hearts 2, Slime Morimori 2, Mario Kart DS, Naruto 4, Mario Party 7, DBZ DS, Daredemo, FF4, R&C4, Mushi King and Pokemon Torouze say "hi".
shutup. don't you know people can't enjoy non-games? variety in video games is stupid and pointless. stop pointing out all of the traditional games and focus on just bashing the people who are buying and enjoying non-games because not everyone likes them.

get with the program.

teiresias

I'm all for Nintendo making money and kicking the crap out of MS worldwide next-gen, but I'd rather they not do it on the back of pet simulators and re-releases of old SNES games and IPs like Mario Kart.

ioi

Banned
DarkMehm said:
I didn't knock them :)

Let me say that the 30th Rogue Galaxy has sold almost 30k. So you should edit your guesses. :)

Well exactly, so if people like yourselves who maybe have access to these numbers can drop little hints like that, then we can try and make some more accurate estimations in the future ;-)

Would these be a little closer oh wise one?

Code:
Kingdom Hearts II	 727.6 
Animal Crossing: Wild World	 416.1 
Mario Kart DS	 302.7 
Naruto: Narutimate Hero 3	 217.0 
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Blue	 157.8 
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Red	 156.4 
Tamagotchi	 156.2 
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence	 103.9 
Mario Party 7	 100.1 
Brain Training	 93.2 
Gentle Brain Training	 85.0 
Dragonball Z	 70.0 
Rockman EXE 6	 65.0 
Slime Mori Mori 2	 59.0 
Tales of the Abyss	 56.0 
Naruto 4 GC	 53.0 
Daredemo Asobi Taisen	 50.0 
Mushi King DS	 47.0 
Rockman EXE 6	 45.0 
Monster Hunter Portable	 43.0 
Pokemon Torouze	 41.0 
Katamari PSP	 39.0 
Prince of Tennis	 37.0 
Nintendogs	 35.0 
Ryu Ga Gotoku	 33.5 
Nintendogs	 32.0 
Nintendogs	 31.0 
Final Fantasy IV	 30.0 
Ratchet & Clank	 29.5 
Rogue Galaxy	 29.0

Or maybe even post some numbers youself :p

Amir0x

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Its either this or shitty real games. Take your pick.

By default, shitty real games are better. BUT, it seems most of the 'real games' on the Japanese lists and US NPD top 20 are shitty too, so it's an exchange in form. Nobody loves my pitiful pitiful hardcore gamer taste, mainstream spits at me from afar! Then they stab at thee from the future when Revolution cook cook ^_^ fun w/ Luigi sells more than Pikmin 3.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ioi said:
That's the problem with your site, we don't know what numbers are your guesses and what numbers have been reported by the various firms.

For example, http://www.everythingandnothing.org.uk/vg/japweekly.php?date=38711. When someone looks at that they think they're numbers reported by one of the firms but you don't make it clear how you came to them.

jarrod

Banned
teiresias said:
I'm all for Nintendo making money and kicking the crap out of MS worldwide next-gen, but I'd rather they not do it on the back of pet simulators and re-releases of old SNES games and IPs like Mario Kart.
Old NES IPs are what put PlayStation on the map. Who cares really, so long as the games are new and as well done as Mario Kart DS or Final Fantasy VII.

Top Bottom