• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create weekly sales October 17-23

Dracos

Ignatz Mouse said:
How is GBA a useless system? it still gets the occasional release, and it's got a huge library. Heck, I almost want one myself, despite not having any GBA games I really want to play. If I were even a little bit into it, I'd snap one up quick.

Small is good in a portable.

Yeah, I mean useless in the fact that the system is getting very few releases and the DS still plays GBA games. Small is good, and the GBA is a great system IMO, it's just that aside from the size, there is not much reason anymore to buy a GBA over a DS, especially at the price of the Micro. So Nintendo should be pretty happy with those numbers for system that truly is being phased out in terms of development.

Dracos said:
Yeah, I mean useless in the fact that the system is getting very few releases and the DS still plays GBA games. Small is good, and the GBA is a great system IMO, it's just that aside from the size, there is not much reason anymore to buy a GBA over a DS, especially at the price of the Micro. So Nintendo should be pretty happy with those numbers for system that truly is being phased out in terms of development.

Gotcha.

I personally really, really value small sizes in electronics, so the Micro always got my attention.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
John Harker said:
So much for non-games moving PSPs.

The DS had a couple high-profile releases, and it didn't increase. Well, at least it stayed steady.
What was released last week by comparison again?

Anyway, the micro sure did drop fast. Price drop for the holidays world wide?
When I look at those high numbers, I can understand, they aren't getting that much higher anymore ^^. Pokémon Torouze and Peach are games, which sell to Nintendofans primarily, I think. But when the next Pokémon RPG arrives, it's gonna be interesting ^^.

ki/oon said:
Hardware :

DS = 44000 (last week = 44262)
PSP = 28000 (last week = 29162)
GBM = 15000

A bit surprising DS/PSP numbers imho. Would have thought that both would atleast incread by about 5k.

littlewig

Banned
I wonder if Xbox360 will be the top selling system in Japan the week it's released.

Does anyone have the first week sales of the orginial Xbox?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Dracos said:
Let us put it this way: If money is not really an issue then the GBMicro is a great addition to go along with a DS. The screen quality makes many GBA games just feel so much better. As do the great buttons, build quality and materials. Playing games on it is just a whole different thing than playing them on an SP, let alone original GBA. I got the famicom version and been playing minish cap on it. That's just a great combination, the system's size and quality totally matches the feel of the oldschool 2D games.

mutsu

The weekly gap between the DS and PSP has widen again. Expected I guess, since DS had Super Princess Peach, Where do babies come from, Pokemon Torouze, and Tendo Dokuta 2 released this week.

Rock_Man said:
DS YTD = PSP LTD

OWNAGE

leninownage1cg.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The notes
Sales of the top 100 titles totaled 631,223 units, 123.14% of last week's total and 83.61% of the weekly average.

Eleven new titles took spots in the top 100, with top-ranked "Hisshou Pachinko Series Vol.1: CR Neon Genesis Evangelion" followed by titles such as "Pokemon Torouze," "Super Princess Peach," and "Brain Trainer Portable." The share of sales consisting of new titles also recovered, increasing from last week's 21.09% to 51.15% this week.

"Hisshou Pachinko Series Vol.1: CR Neon Genesis Evangelion" sales totaled approximately 72,000 units, the strongest start ever for a PS2 pachinko title, due to the popularity of both its hardware and characters. Its absorption rate was also high at around 80%, and there were many cases in which potential sales were lost because stores ran out of stock. Future developments should be watched.

DS is a monster.

So much for Brain Training helping PSP hardware sales.

Game Boy sales are settling back to more normal levels, but 23,000 for the Micro + SP a week ... that's more than the PS2 is selling right now, on top of what the DS is doing.

Aside from the GameCube (Revolution can't come out fast enough), Nintendo has to be very pleased going into the holiday season, aka Easter 2.

ioi

Banned
soundwave05 said:
DS is a monster.

So much for Brain Training helping PSP hardware sales.

Game Boy sales are settling back to more normal levels, but 23,000 for the Micro + SP a week ... that's more than the PS2 is selling right now, on top of what the DS is doing.

Aside from the GameCube (Revolution can't come out fast enough), Nintendo has to be very pleased going into the holiday season, aka Easter 2.

Xmas is gonna be huge!!

Things are definitely changing in Japan, and I think Rev is only gonna capitalise on that more and more. They really need something new over there, PS2 hasn't done as well as PS1 overall, GC is down on N64, and I'm really glad to see DS doing so well and almost creating some new markets and genres all of it's own.

I think something must be said for the fact that the more traditional games like Yoshi, Kirby and Peach have been disappointing though, and even Jump Super Stars really. Maybe the success of the likes of Nintendogs and Brain Training could also be working against Nintendo.

Will be interesting to see how Mario Kart gets on.

Farmboy

PezRadar said:
with holidays coming up and if DS really sees a sales explosion, DS sales difference with PSP may be the amount PSP has sold this year ;o

That is already the case. The DS lead is 1.5M, which is > PSP's YTD. Or did you mean worldwide or something (I would hope not)?

NWO

littlewig said:
I wonder if Xbox360 will be the top selling system in Japan the week it's released.

Does anyone have the first week sales of the orginial Xbox?

So the only thing to outsell the DS in the past 4 months could end up being the Xbox 360. :lol

Not in dollars spent, but in hardware units sold, this is the week where Nintendo surpassed Sony for the listed systems, year to date.

GBA + GBASP + GBM + DS + GCN = 3,007,910

PS2 + PSP = 3,003,538

Xbox = 10,591

Well, to be accurate, Nintendo was also ahead the first week of the year... heck, graph time.

Weekly:
20051029companiesweekly.gif

YTD:
20051029companiesytd.gif

littlewig said:
I haven't paid attention to the exact X360 Japanese release date, but guessing at early December-ish, that would be about the time in the past that the major systems start getting weeks in the 6 digits. Considering how Xbox has done, it seems unlikely. If so, somebodies love their Ridge Racer.

Top Bottom