• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medievil - Review Thread

Ryu_Joestar

Currently 67 on Metacritic

PlayStation Universe (9.5/10)
"MediEvil finally makes the transition from PS1 to PS4 in a spectacular new remake that fans have been clamoring for. The Tim Burton-esque beauty and clever gameplay has held up incredibly well for a twenty-year-old game but some precarious camera angles and clumsy combat keep the game from perfection. "

IGN (6.5/10)
"MediEvil successfully brings Daniel Fortesque’s tale back from the dead yet again, but not nearly enough was done to modernize the mechanics of this remake."

Eurogamer Italy (7/10)
"Medievil Remake brings back to life a classic title, giving it new life. It’s the perfect opportunity to play a twenty-year-old title or to discover it, if you never hadt he pleasure of spending some time with Sir Daniel Fortesque. Unfortunately some technical problems prevent the game from having a better score."

God is a Geek (7.5/10)
"MediEvil is a hallowed classic, undeniably, and it's presented here with a shiny new look and comfortably familiar feel, made with enough love and attention to resurrect its appeal for existing fans."

IGN Italy (7.9/10)
"A remake of the original MediEvil with something more. Perfect for the fans, good enough for the newcomers."

Destructoid (7.5/10)
"Given that a physical copy of the original MediEvil goes for roughly $30 these days, shelling out the same price for a PS4 remake is a steal."

We Got This Covered (4/10)
"This remake of MediEvil stumbles in the gameplay department, failing to bring life into its resurrected protagonist’s rusty old bones."

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Seems about right to me, honestly. Probably would have picked this up for $20 but really only for the Halloween vibe. By the time the price drops that low it'll be super out of season.

Maybe I'll play this next year, after it's been given away as a PS+ game in July.

Ar¢tos

If it plays exactly like the PS1 original, then I can see why it's getting these scores. The original game hasn't aged all that well in my opinion.
I played the first two levels (areas?) of the original on my vita and couldn't play anymore. It's impossible to play with those aged controls nowadays. I kept questioning myself on how I was able to play the game when I was a teenager on ps1.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Played it today. Hate it. Haven't played the original since 98, and the best thing I can say about this is that it feels like a game from 98.

Horrible camera, clunky controls, feels like I'm floating. Nothing connects. Enemies go right through me.

They should have updated the gameplay, this remake just feels pointless and only works to point out that we've come a long way since 98.

Reon

This version plays worse than the original in my opinion. It's a good looking game for sure but the gameplay took a nosedive over the original release.

I was expecting scores around 6 or 7, so seems about right.

Graphics are nice upgrade. The gameplay is very much like the original game, they have made improvements but they have kept it very close to how the original game was, for better and worse.

Keep expectations in check and it will be an enjoyable little game (probably more so, if you liked the original)

Expect the next big PS4 exclusive and you will be disappointed.

ethomaz

Banned
This game fucking sucked 20 years ago.
I was about to say that... the game have mediocre gameplay 20 years ago why they choose to continue with it.
It was charming but the gameplay was not something to grab about.

There are way better games in gameplay terms for PS1... so it was not a generation issue.

Last edited:

FranXico

I was about to say that... the game have mediocre gameplay 20 years ago why they choose to continue with it.
It was charming but the gameplay was not something to grab about.

There are way better games in gameplay terms for PS1... so it was not a generation issue.
And the remake doesn't even have the charm any more... what a missed opportunity.

Nero_PR

Banned
I like the original but it seems they didn't even try to improve upon it. And in some areas, the game is even worse. Look at how the zombies don't get stunned or even get knocked back. Then we have the frame rate. We don't talk about that.

But the worst offender was that they didn't make the second game bundled in one remaster alone. The second game was better and it is a shame that we won't see it with a new coat of paint.

brap

Banned
No surprise there. The game feels like shit. I can't believe the original PS1 game feels better.

Nero_PR

Banned
Why don't they like it?

It got positive reviews when it came out. What's the deal?
Because it was a demo build. People thought that by the release they would have sorted some of the problems like framerate dips, gameplay tweaks (enemies not getting stunned when hit by Sir Daniel), overall improvements to some outdated gameplay aspects or level design. And not remaking the second game to sell in the same bundle is another problem too.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Never played this game the first time. I read there's no checkpoints?

What???

MOTHER EFFIN WHAT????

Son of a bitch, I ordered this game too because it looked fun and interesting, but I have fucking ZERO tolerance for no checkpoint bullshit in games. Starting an entire level over is unacceptable for any reason. Should I return it or is there any chance of it being put in via patch?

Last edited:

brap

Banned

What???

MOTHER EFFIN WHAT????

Son of a bitch, I ordered this game too because it looked fun and interesting, but I have fucking ZERO tolerance for no checkpoint bullshit in games. Starting an entire level over is unacceptable for any reason. Should I return it or is there any chance of it being put in via patch?
It's really not hard or long dude.

xrnzaaas

I'm kinda glad that they released the demo. I was blinded by nostalgia and wanted to buy the game on day1. After seeing how they didn't improve anything over the original and how the game still had performance issues I'll be now waiting for a huge sale before picking up the game.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member

What???

MOTHER EFFIN WHAT????

Game is short, levels are short, you're not gonna need them.

Ryu_Joestar

Playing it right now and i'm enjoying it, it's literally the original from 1998 (even the voice actors are the same in my language ) with updated graphics, no more no less.

They could've include Medievil 2 too but hey, better than nothing

Last edited:
Top Bottom