• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet Mortal Kombat's First Gay Character

stephen08

Yeah I saw this the other day. Kung Jin's chapter was probably one of the best in the story mode.The way they made the new team so diverse is extremely well done. 2 women, 2 men, all different ethnic background and both gay and straight characters. On top of that the gameplay/lore diversity is pretty good too with different factions as well as gameplay styles.

DOWN

Banned
The end-result of having more positive homosexual representation in games is always a good thing, but I'm not really seeing much here. It kind of reminds me of how Dumbledore was outed outside of the canon. In the actual content, there is only the vaguest of hints that could mean a million other things, and the true indicator is the external confirmation by the creators. This type of diversity feels like a mere checkmark in the trivia section, that conveniently won't kick up any dust that could impact sales or publicity. Reminds me a bit of Don't Ask Don't Tell. I would have preferred that little snippet of dialogue contained a male pronoun.
I'd say they certainly did something, evidenced by many people catching it themselves or asking on social media as soon as the audience for the chance to meet him. Now it's confimed and in the news.

Not the same as the Dumbledore situation, which Rowling may not have really had in the books, but she defended gracefully against hateful responses to the revelation in the aftermath which was good.

Top Bottom