• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Deals Coming to XBLA Next Week

rhfb said:
I was able to use a $1 for 1 month of Gold which was offered on the Daashboard. Upgraded to Gold, purchased Trials HD, downloaded the Mass Effect 2 demo, and I'm currently trying to find a way to cancel the Gold membership online.
you can only cancel it through xbox.com, the option for it it hidden. you have to go to the tab that says marketplace, then click on my account drop down tab. the option for canceling the renewal is there.

Tomasooie

GK86 said:
They mention the bug didn't affect everyone.
Sounds exactly like one of the bugs in Castle Crashers I heard about.
If it carried over to their next game, then I doubt they patched it.

Edit: I dunno, some guy on Gamefaqs said the bugs were fixed, but that may or may not be true, so who knows. The game has a patch, so they at least fixed something.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Tomasooie said:
Sounds exactly like one of the bugs in Castle Crashers I heard about.
If it carried over to their next game, then I doubt they patched it.

Edit: I dunno, some guy on Gamefaqs said the bugs were fixed, but that may or may not be true, so who knows. The game has a patch, so they at least fixed something.

Ahh ok. Thanks for the help dude. :)

Anticitizen One said:
how long is the Trials HD and Shadow Complex sale until?

June 22nd.

Edit- nevermind, 800 on the marketplace.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Just bought Trials HD few days ago then picked up Banjo tooie today.

I like to think im pretty good at Trials HD so add me on LIVE if you want to compare scores or something. GT is same as gaf name.

dallow_bg said:
Got Contra and TMNT Arcade.

Shouldn't have got.

Why not? Both are solid games/ports.

Monocle

This week is the best I can recall in terms of XBLA deals. I snagged Castlevania: SOTN, Peggle, Serious Sam (far better than I expected—online co-op is ridiculously fun), and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, and the only reason I stopped there is because I already own many of the other games that are on sale.

I'd like to make a few remarks about Alien Hominid in response to the posters who brushed it off. Alien Hominid is a truly well made retro-style game; simple yet challenging, potentially frustrating and rewarding with practice. You're given a very basic move set to dispatch enemies that can kill you with a single hit. Enemy attacks are generally simple to avoid, but their speed and frequency demand excellent reflexes. The pattern-based boss battles will feel familiar to anyone who's played a 2D action game.

Obviously, such a frenetic and unforgiving title is not for everyone. I'm actually the sort of gamer who's better off avoiding it, because dying after eating a single hit tends to piss me off. Nonetheless, I strongly recommend Alien Hominid, especially to gamers who fondly remember the NES era. Anyone with access to XBL has no excuse not to at least try the demo.

Daigoro

Metalic Sand said:
I like to think im pretty good at Trials HD so add me on LIVE if you want to compare scores or something. GT is same as gaf name.

have you beaten the extreme courses yet? just curious.

Trials is a game with huge depth. getting good can take hundreds of hours, and then many more to really learn the ins and outs.

Monocle said:
This week is the best I can recall in terms of XBLA deals. I snagged Castlevania: SOTN, Peggle, Serious Sam (far better than I expected—online co-op is ridiculously fun), and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, and the only reason I stopped there is because I already own many of the other games that are on sale.

are Peggle and Sam on sale? i didnt see those listed.

I have 2060 points and i don't know what deals to get! Banjo tooie is tempting since i've never played it, portal would be fun to have on the system too. Keflings might provide some rts-lite relief or bomberman for some old school fun.

Nice to have choice though, these deals have come a long way since the days of random dlc packs for games that were two years old. Props to ms for listening.

FrankT

sionyboy said:
I have 2060 points and i don't know what deals to get! Banjo tooie is tempting since i've never played it, portal would be fun to have on the system too. Keflings might provide some rts-lite relief or bomberman for some old school fun.

Nice to have choice though, these deals have come a long way since the days of random dlc packs for games that were two years old. Props to ms for listening.

Portal for one to be sure.

Natakuu

Banned
Figured I'd stop in to say thanks to the OP. Picked up a bunch of games yesterday (Trials HD, Shadow Complex, Banjo Tooie, Geometry Wars 2, Crystal Defenders, and Magic: The Gathering).

I need help with SOTN:

1. If hearts don't heal you, then what do they do?
2. Is food the only thing that heals you?
3. How do you use items like pot roasts, short swords and shit?
4. How do you save?
5. I should avoid those green guys that throw axes early on, right?

Draft

ChoklitReign said:
I need help with SOTN:

2. Is food the only thing that heals you?
3. How do you use items like pot roasts, short swords and shit?
4. How do you save?
5. I should avoid those green guys that throw axes early on, right?
1. Ammo for sub weapons like knifes, axes, etc.

2. There are also potions and save rooms and a spell.

3. Hit start, I guess? There's a whole crazy equip/inventory screen to mess with.

4. Find a save room, stand in front of the spinning coffin, hit up.

5. Nah, kill them.

Daigoro said:
are Peggle and Sam on sale? i didnt see those listed.

They were part of last week's shooterbox sale.

Has anyone tried that Panzer General title? I can't get online to play the demo and was thinking about buying it through the site.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Daigoro said:
have you beaten the extreme courses yet? just curious.

Im working on hard courses atm. Gold on every course ive done. Working on gold for Flip hunter/loose screw skill games.

Feel free to add me Trials people!

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
sionyboy said:
Banjo tooie is tempting since i've never played it,.

If you have Banjo Kazooie on XBLA i highly recommend getting Tooie for the Stop n Swap. Just picked up Tooie myself so im not sure was SNS does yet!

Edit: Opps i did not mean to double post.

Jay Sosa

ChoklitReign said:
I need help with SOTN:

Y5zGs.gif

I guess this is your first Castlevania huh?

Have fun with it, it's imho the best in the series.

Btw tried Trials, Castle Crashers and will download neither one.

I'm sure they're both great games but not my cup of tea.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Bit on Tooie!

I think I only rented the game back in the day even though I loved the original Banjo Kazooie. Time to make up for lost time.

Peff

Metalic Sand said:
If you have Banjo Kazooie on XBLA i highly recommend getting Tooie for the Stop n Swap. Just picked up Tooie myself so im not sure was SNS does yet!

Edit: Opps i did not mean to double post.

You need Nuts & Bolts too as far as I remember. Basically:

- Having a N&B savegame unlocks the six eggs and the ice key in Banjo-Kazooie.
- Collecting those unlocks some boxes in N&B.
- Collecting them also unlocks some bonuses for Tooie, the same ones you could get on the standalone N64 version.

Popeck

Zeitgeister said:
is the Shadow Complex thing still around? because I had 560 MS points, but bought something a while back, so now I can't buy it with remaining spacebucks. :'(

Yeah, the offers for Shadow Complex, Trials HD, Splosion Man and other Summer of Arcade games from last year will expire on Monday. I recommend those three games for everyone. I've spend way too many hours on Trials HD and even embarrassed myself by playing against one of the developers who's about third in the global rankings. Splosion Man, on the other hand, is great fun. Especially the co-op levels get super crazy towards the end. Shadow Complex is a quality game too.

There's still time to stop the key from turning!

Are the Deal of the Week prices not available through the Marketplace website? Shadow Complex is listed as 1200 points for me despite me having gold.

EDIT: Nevermind, I followed the link from Major Nelson's blog and got the sale price.

_Bro

Banned
having a hard time convincing myself to get trials hd. Shadow Complex was a must but I'm not sure, Bionic Commando could be cool.

Picked Trials after waiting for it to go on sale forever.

I just finished Splosion Man with all 47 cakes today after working on it for several weeks. HIGHLY recommended. A great platformer with an almost flawless difficulty curve (except for the so-so boss fights). Reminds me of the best of the 16-bit era.

And, who the hell is hating on Alien Homind? Bullshit. Stellar 8-bit design wrapped in gorgeous and personality-filled packaging.

Toothpick

Marvel vs Capcom 2 half off was too good to pass up. I never really played it so i bought it and im getting my ass handed to me on easy.
Damn i suck :lol good deals though.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Deals finished after today right? I'm still on the fence on Bionic Commando: Rearmed.

Don't love the fact I when you fall, you fall straight down without being able to changing your course. Game seems very grid-like, but I did enjoyed the puzzle-like aspects of maneuvering around the environments.

Does the combat or timing of the platforming ever become super frustrating later on?

FTWer said:
Does the combat or timing of the platforming ever become super frustrating later on?

I find it gets better as you go on and get used to the (admittedly quite unusual) controls. Game is very well balanced, with good level design, fun weapons, etc. It gets tough in spots but never so frustratingly so that I gave up or anything.

Came for Shadow Complex and ended up with Trials HD.

After replaying the demo of SC I just decided the game didn't control well enough for me and I'd rather play Metroid if I was going to play a game like it. Always wanted Trials but didn't think it was worth the money and having just bought Splosion Man last year there was no need for another one of these high score games.

It was nice I actually had some left over points from buying the first MW2 map pack a few weeks ago as it was my incentive to plunk down the cash.

Sadly, Joe Danger is pulling me away from Trials still. Just has a much better atmosphere imo. Too bad the load times are killing me. :lol

cornontheCoD

Neo Member
So, I bought the $1 for 1 month of Gold, but I can't cancel my account. I heard that you can cancel your gold membership by going on their website, but I can't seem to do it. I keep going to this page: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/

and then I click on log in. The weird thing is, when I log in, it wants me to create a new gamertag.

Can anyone help?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
cornontheCoD said:
So, I bought the $1 for 1 month of Gold, but I can't cancel my account. I heard that you can cancel your gold membership by going on their website, but I can't seem to do it. I keep going to this page: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/

and then I click on log in. The weird thing is, when I log in, it wants me to create a new gamertag.

Can anyone help?
You have to log in with the Windows Live ID linked to your Gamertag. If you go to Account Management on your console, I think it tells you in there somewhere.

Then look here: http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/07/29/how-to-turn-off-xbox-live-account-auto-renewal.aspx

I picked up Trials HD and Shadow Complex. I would have gotten MvC2 but I already had it and nothing else on the sale interested me (I have 2 copies of SotN already, don't need a third).

dani_dc

Goddam, I thought Splosion man was going to last through the 22 included, didn't realize it ended from 21st to 22.

Oh well at least I was still able to snatch Shadow Complex BC Rearmed and Castlevania:SOTN. Splosion man seems to be the only one to have went up to it's regular price so far.

Edit: Just tried N+ demo, ended up buying it after just a few minutes playing it :lol

Top Bottom