• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 is coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC this August!

pa22word

I'm curious to find out if this is emulating these games or not like the first collection did. I'd imagine due to the various slew of platforms these original games were released on it'd be much more difficult to utilize emulation for them all in a collection, right? Are they proper ports or what?
I never understood why they didn't just rebuild the games on the mega man 9 engine. Seems like it would have been much better for them in the long run for later ports and such anyways.

Sciz

I'm curious to find out if this is emulating these games or not like the first collection did. I'd imagine due to the various slew of platforms these original games were released on it'd be much more difficult to utilize emulation for them all in a collection, right? Are they proper ports or what?

Safe money is on 7 and 8 being emulated, and 9 and 10 being ported.

kc44135

There's bad emulation, and there's good emulation. Most purists seem to forget about the emulation used for the Mega Man Anniversary Collection, which was sloppy to the point of being nigh unplayable on the GameCube, thanks to backwards, non-adjustable controls. (Also, Mega Man 7's ending is missing.)

All-in-all, the first Legacy Collection is a great introduction for those who are new to the Classic Mega Man series, and it's available on PC, PS4, Xbox One, and the Nintendo 3DS. I would personally avoid Legacy Collection II, if only for the mishmash of quality for 7 & 8 and lack of features.

No it isn't. It was an indie effort by preservation enthusiasts to preserve the original NES games as accurately as possible without resorting to straight emulation or porting and in a way that would make them easy to port to future platforms (this is the reason it only includes the NES games by the way! Not them being stingy or lazy). But it had a few glitches due to the nature of the emulation method, but most were fixed later. People just want 20 games in these to justify paying for it.

If you are a beginner these are the definitive way to experience the games.

Oh, that doesn't sound bad at all. I also personally love the DS4's D-Pad for 2D indies. Yeah, maybe I'll give them a shot after all! Thx, guys.

Opa-Pa

I don't know about Mega Man but I remember that as Bass, Cold Man can indeed only take one pixel of damage at a time, and it's awful. This doesn't sound like a big deal but most good MM games are designed around that idea that you should be able to beat them without ever resorting to boss abilities.

Also I watched some footage now to see if I was crazy remembering the game in such a bad light and... The jungle stage and that one where you get attacked by random lances through the walls and floor... Yeah, this game is awful in my eyes. But you know, opinions.

I think the only games in the classic series I dislike are 7 and MM&B, everything else is either good or great. And for those who haven't yet I really recommend giving the Gameboy games ago, because Mega Man II aside (forgot that one, awful) they're fantastic. I haven't played MM&B2 yet though.

I think that's part of the reason it gets so tiring for me when people won't shut up about an MMX collection being obviously a better idea and the like. Sure MMX1 and 2 are among my favorite games ever, but classic MM is so consistently quality, I think the only other MM series with more than 3 installments that's so consistently good is Zero. Meanwhile, IMO, X only has three truly great games... Out of 8.

fab66f38.jpg

Secret 5 game.....
(between 8 and 9...)

Can someone explain to me this image? Is this an official pic? Is Capcom teasing a secret 5th game???

Also another question: were MM9 and 10 never available on PC until this collection?

Blues1990

Can someone explain to me this image? Is this an official pic? Is Capcom teasing a secret 5th game???

Also another question: were MM9 and 10 never available on PC until this collection?

To answer that last question, until the announcement and eventual release, yes. Both Mega Man 9 & 10 were never made available on PC.

Opa-Pa

Capcom offered one cover art variant per game back with the original collection in Japan and they're doing the same with this one. And yeah they seem to be teasing and extra game (Japan only? Who knows).

And yup, those two were only playable via Dolphin on PC before this.

Syril

Okay, those aside.

(What made the Game Gear one bad? Did it control weird or did it just suck because it was old stages?)

Compared to the Game Boy ones that redesigned the levels to keep everything in view, the Game Gear one kept everything exactly the same and compensated with vertical scrolling, which made a lot of jumps turn into leaps of faith.

Sciz

I don't know about Mega Man but I remember that as Bass, Cold Man can indeed only take one pixel of damage at a time, and it's awful. This doesn't sound like a big deal but most good MM games are designed around that idea that you should be able to beat them without ever resorting to boss abilities.

Mega Man does three or four damage with a charge shot, he's fine.

Bass, though, I've done a buster-only run of the robot masters as him before. Cold Man takes a while, but he's also got an MM6-grade pattern. Astro Man and Magic Man are far, far harder to take on without their weaknesses.

edit:

Also I watched some footage now to see if I was crazy remembering the game in such a bad light and... The jungle stage and that one where you get attacked by random lances through the walls and floor... Yeah, this game is awful in my eyes. But you know, opinions.

Same stage. The fire trap is a nasty surprise on the first run, but the lances aren't random at all.

Capcom offered one cover art variant per game back with the original collection in Japan and they're doing the same with this one. And yeah they seem to be teasing and extra game (Japan only? Who knows).

And yup, those two were only playable via Dolphin on PC before this.

Thanks.

If theres going to be a 5th game it has to be MM&B. Its even mentioned in the MM9 ending!

(What made the Game Gear one bad? Did it control weird or did it just suck because it was old stages?)

GG Mega Man is just a waste of time honestly. Yes the old stages were ripped verbatim from their original appearances, and yeah having to manually move the screen to see some (not all) leaps of faith was just a poor design choice, but outside of its problems the game just has no meat. It's over in about an hour and because US Gold didn't do a great job of getting the Mega Man game feel down it feels pretty disingenuous when you're playing it.

Their were also other oddities like only being able to shoot two lemons at a time and something weird about the charge shot (I think you lost it after taking damage?), and it also felt exceedingly easy to get through, leaps of faith aside.

Scrunched screen, unoriginal stages, bad renditions of familiar themes/audio all around, wonky game feel, no challenge. In the end it just kinda comes and goes and nothing sticks with you, a problem I don't feel any of the GB games or MM&B2 had all at once.

But it does look pretty good.

120v

to me this is pretty much $20 to play MM9 on steam

but the game is so good its damn worth it. would be nice to have these games available piecemeal but this game arguably tops MM2

Saikyo

Why you guy do it to yourselves lol, the extra cover must be a new art representing all the four games, it could be nice if it was Ariga...or its bad box art mega man variant.

It seems there is four games and thats it...

ZeoVGM

Banned
You know what's not mentioned often? Mega Man Xtreme.

I never got around to playing the second but the first was actually awesome. I was shocked they manage to bring the X series to Game Boy Color so well.

Guys, there are so many other details to be had there. With protodudes help, (http://www.rockman-corner.com) and google translate, let me break it down for you:

-the Japanese MMLC 2 releases on 8/10/17
-The PS4 is actually getting a limited physical print that includes a cheat sheet and a discount voucher for the original MMLC
-If you pre order from Amazon Japan, you'll get 2 PS4 themes
-The 5 covers thing DOESN'T hint at a 5th game. Each physical version randomly comes with one. The fifth image is a surprise
-There is also another e-Capcom exclusive version that comes with all 5 covers, and a silver thermos.

Sorry to let you guys down, but hope it helps. And yes, I volunteered to deliver another kickass OT for this series. It's the least I can do for Megaman, and the hours of entertainment I spent on this series.

rackham

Banned

I think the only games in the classic series I dislike are 7 and MM&B, everything else is either good or great. And for those who haven't yet I really recommend giving the Gameboy games ago, because Mega Man II aside (forgot that one, awful) they're fantastic. I haven't played MM&B2 yet though.

I think that's part of the reason it gets so tiring for me when people won't shut up about an MMX collection being obviously a better idea and the like. Sure MMX1 and 2 are among my favorite games ever, but classic MM is so consistently quality, I think the only other MM series with more than 3 installments that's so consistently good is Zero. Meanwhile, IMO, X only has three truly great games... Out of 8.
Yeah I was thinking of bass with the low boss damage. Mega man has a hard time in levels because of the shitty design.

theclaw135

Banned
I thought the same thing. Evidence pointed out that Digital Eclipse was just using a fancy NES emulator to run the games, instead of the so called "eclipse engine" that allowed for "HD Flair".

I have no clue about why people just ignore that.

Didn't it use a crazy hybrid emulation that was ONLY capable of running the six Mega Man games?

So the Mega Man Legacy collection is bad? I was thinking about getting it along with this new collection coming out, as I LOVE old-school 2D platforms from the NES era, but have never touched a Mega Man game before. I guess I should just pass/wait for a sale?
First collection is on gamepass if you are on xbone.

aadiboy

X1-X4 are all great. And don't classic Mega Man fans dislike 5-8?

rackham

Banned
X1-X4 are all great. And don't classic Mega Man fans dislike 5-8?
No. they're just not as good. 8 is an actual bad game tho. Mega man mechanics don't make it automatically good. Shitty bosses and level design. Atrocious voice acting. Nostalgic sure

"BASS! We RR NOT enEMIES"

I never understood why they didn't just rebuild the games on the mega man 9 engine. Seems like it would have been much better for them in the long run for later ports and such anyways.

8 bit demakes of 7 and 8 actually do exist on the PC thanks to talented fans. 8 was a bit crap when I played it, but I put that down to me disliking the level design for many of the bosses (love the actual boss fights though) but the 7 demake rocks. I actually like it more than the Snes version. It "feels" faster which was my main issue with 7, it just feels like it runs slower than the first 6 games. Makes me want to dig that game back up and play it again....

Guys, there are so many other details to be had there. With protodudes help, (http://www.rockman-corner.com) and google translate, let me break it down for you:

-the Japanese MMLC 2 releases on 8/10/17
-The PS4 is actually getting a limited physical print that includes a cheat sheet and a discount voucher for the original MMLC
-If you pre order from Amazon Japan, you'll get 2 PS4 themes
-The 5 covers thing DOESN'T hint at a 5th game. Each physical version randomly comes with one. The fifth image is a surprise
-There is also another e-Capcom exclusive version that comes with all 5 covers, and a silver thermos.

Sorry to let you guys down, but hope it helps. And yes, I volunteered to deliver another kickass OT for this series. It's the least I can do for Megaman, and the hours of entertainment I spent on this series.

I just know I'll end up with the E Capcom edition, this is the 3DS Japanese LE all over again! (and to be fair, those extra cover sleeves were beautiful for that game).

kunonabi

hard to be excited for this due how the first collection turned out. It would be nice to get Mega Man & Bss without paying a fortune though.

Crub

A shame they didn't include Mega Man and Bass. Wasn't that game pretty much Mega Man 9 in everything but name, before the actual Mega Man 9 became a thing?

Feels like a missed opportunity not including it in the collection. Would make the collection feel like a greater value and also earn it some extra publicity, with it being the first time a proper version of the game comes to the west.

Either way I'm going to buy the collection as I've been waiting on 9 and 10 to hit PC for a long time.

Why you guy do it to yourselves lol, the extra cover must be a new art representing all the four games, it could be nice if it was Ariga...or its bad box art mega man variant.

It's hard to not speculate that it's MM&B when they placed the secret cover right after MM8. :(

No, I'm on PS4, unfortunately. :( At least I can play it with a good quality D-Pad though (I'm assuming X1 controllers still have bad D-Pads like 360?).

Xbox One D Pad feels better than the 360 D Pad for me. Still far from perfect for Mega Man though, I ended up using the analogue stick instead. I'd imagine the Elite pad has a better D Pad though but I'm not paying that much for one since I barely ever turn my Xbox One on anymore... The PS4 D Pad is good though, had 0 problems with any 2D games using it.

A shame they didn't include Mega Man and Bass. Wasn't that game pretty much Mega Man 9 in everything but name, before the actual Mega Man 9 became a thing?

It kinda feels like MM9, but not completely since it only has 6 new bosses to fight. I forget the reason, but they recycle Tengu Man and Astro Man from MM8 so it doesn't feel like a complete sequel in that regard. But it should have really been in the collection, out of all the games they left out of the second Legacy Collection, this one is the most baffling (especially as having it included would have added value to the overall package.

Hey all, just a heads up.

Play-Asia has both the Japanese e-Capcom game:

http://www.play-asia.com/rockman-classics-collection-2-e-capcom-limited-edition/13/70b8hd

And the plain physical version:

http://www.play-asia.com/rockman-classics-collection-2/13/70b8ez

Up for pre-order (remember to use the promo code "MYPSVITA" for $3 off.

The Amazon.co.jp version with the two PS4 themes is also up:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B071JRHC3S/

But the site will not let me order one to the States. Any advice?

Demoskinos

Didn't see an OT for this and didn't figure this deserved a full topic but... How the hell do you access the shop in Mega Man 7? I looked it up and apparently you press the "select" button on the actual SNES version of the game but since the PS4 doesn't have a "select" button I have no clue what to press?

I hit everything and nothing works. =\

Didn't see an OT for this and didn't figure this deserved a full topic but... How the hell do you access the shop in Mega Man 7? I looked it up and apparently you press the "select" button on the actual SNES version of the game but since the PS4 doesn't have a "select" button I have no clue what to press?

I hit everything and nothing works. =

Press the touch pad button at the stage select screen. It's not obvious, no, and if you remapped the touch pad button you'll need to restore its default setting to be able to access the shop at all. It's a minor (but notable) oversight.

RockmanBN

I hit everything and nothing works. =
Touchpad.

goldenpp72

No. they're just not as good. 8 is an actual bad game tho. Mega man mechanics don't make it automatically good. Shitty bosses and level design. Atrocious voice acting. Nostalgic sure

"BASS! We RR NOT enEMIES"

I've beaten almost every MM game that exist and love 8, it's not THE best game but it's a very good one, to say it's definitively a bad game is kind of suspect. Now, the VA is among the worst of all time, but that doesn't impact the game itself.

I've beaten 10 and have now finished every mainline Mega Man game! Yes, even MM & Bass. 10's levels were surprisingly hard at times but the Wily fortress and the final boss were not that big of a deal. Nice surprise at the end though. Next, I'm gonna try my hand at beating 9 as Proto Man and 10 as Bass.

Top Bottom