• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 is coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC this August!

That cover art is pretty alright, nice.

Also mark my words, people will wish DE were involved in this once it releases.

Now we're talking. MM&B is kinda shit but Wily Wars is such a cool package. Still can't believe Capcom has never ever bothered making it available again.

MM&B is way better than Wily Wars in my opinion. WW is only looked upon favourably because of the pretty cool Wily Tower mode which I did really enjoy, but the ports of MM1-3 aren't exactly all that amazing when you take things into consideration - graphically its poor for a Mega Drive game, the enemy sprites and backgrounds aren't all that improved from the NES versions and while MM's sprite is improved, it looks a bit crap to be honest.

Plus the game is chock full of new slowdown where it never existed previously - check out Quick Man's level for the best example. Originally the laser rooms never had (much?) slowdown, while it runs a fair tick slower in the MD port, so much so that it makes getting through it without the Time Stopper somewhat trivial.

They also ballsed up the damage output for Mega Man against bosses at least in MM2 so you do way less damage than the Famicom version so it makes the game way harder if your doing a buster only run. Which is still possible mind you, but it introduces new difficulty where it was not really needed and the game isn't really balanced for.

MM&B on the other hand just ended up being really fun for me. I loved the boss patterns/designs - doing buster only runs for both Mega Man and Bass were wonderfully challenging most of the time (ok, a couple of bosses were certainly annoying!) but I loved them on the whole. The game did feel difficult at first, but once I played it a few times and got the feel of the levels I didn't really have that many problems with either character.

In terms of best Mega Man ports, I'd say the Famicom and NTSC NES versions are still the best (especially on an RGB modded console - just ignore the PAL versions). Next best is the Playstation ports which have a shit ton of extra content such as difficulty, Pocket Station support, Navi mode etc.) and then the Legacy Collection slots in after that. Its not perfect but its still great.
That's if we aren't counting Powered Up, as that in my opinion is the definitive edition of the original Mega Man game. Pity we never got a 2-8 in that style back in the day :(

Eusis

Because Nintendo rather have you buy each game separately via their still nonexistent VC service. It's the only no (shitty) reason I could think why that actually sorta makes sense.
They probably made these calls before the Switch came out (or even announced at an extreme) and so it wasn't a factor. Or they're being dumb and wanting to see how games like SF do because execs are sometimes completely fucking looney.

At any rate I'd wait awhile longer before thinking they're truly completely damn stupid, it sounds like SF is selling well anyway and I bet Monster Hunter will do pretty well, and if they're looking at games like Monster Boy and the Inticreates stuff (assuming that is doing well) then they'll know there is a demand on Switch after all.

ZeoVGM

Banned
ESRB rated it E10+? Really? What does a game have to be about, other than sports, to be considered E? Is Megaman's cartoon violence vs robots too extreme for 6 year olds?

I know these games were rated E (or K-A) back in the day when there wasn't an E10+ but still!

Likely because of some of the language in Mega Man 7, assuming it stays the same. Bass says "damn" at one point and at the end of the game Mega Man, I assume due to the poor translation, literally threatens to kill Wily, saying "Die!!"

Because Nintendo rather have you buy each game separately via their still nonexistent VC service. It's the only no (shitty) reason I could think why that actually sorta makes sense.

Capcom decided to make it for PS4 and XB1. And it started development long before Switch was even out. It's really that simple.

Blues1990

It's weird that the Mega Man Killers are on the box art, despite the GB Mega Man games are not included in this collection. I get that they were part of the MM10 DLC Challenges, but that's still a weird inclusion.

Regardless, since this collection doesn't have the Sega Saturn version of Mega Man 8, let alone a proper port of Mega Man & Bass, I have to give this a pass. Heck, I would be fine if they include some of the weirder spin-off games as unlockables (Rockman: Battle n' Chase, Mega Man Soccer, etc.)

Magnus

The first Legacy Collection was not a "disaster." It had some minor issues at launch and the 3DS version alone had some singnificant emulation problems with Mega Man 5 (which were mysteriously fixed just by switching to and playing Rockman 5 instead), but nothing even close to what I'd call a disaster or even bad.

Mega Man Legacy Collection is still the best way to play Mega Man 1-6 besides the original cartridges and maybe the Wii Virtual Console versions, and it includes quite a bit of content never localized into English before, such as the database entries from the Rockman Complete Works series on PS1. It's a strong collection, and while it isn't perfect, its "disastrous" problems are gravely overblown.

Either way, for better and worse Digital Eclipse is not involved in Legacy Collection 2, so take that as you will and set your expectations accordingly.

I thought the same thing. Evidence pointed out that Digital Eclipse was just using a fancy NES emulator to run the games, instead of the so called "eclipse engine" that allowed for "HD Flair".

I have no clue about why people just ignore that.

Yes. Honestly, I'd fully expect this to launch with problems. Between the first MM collection and the Disney thing, Digital Eclipse have proven to be a bit shit, but they do eventually fix stuff with patches.

Just means the physical release will be fairly worthless.

Edit: Oh, Digital Eclipse aren't involved this time? Best~

Gotcha.

In 2017, we hold devs to a pretty high standard to remaster and reproduce their titles from last-gen in top form (1080/60, etc. with robust features, etc.), so I mean, I'm REALLY hesitant to get excited about a collection that's largely from the 8-bit gen that has technical issues. How do you not get that right in 2017?

Also, releasing MMs 1-10 in two separate sets feels a bit cash-grabby.

I know most Mega Man fans are
understandably
desperate at this point but for fucks sake these Legacy Collections are so half-assed. Even the infamous Mega Man Anniversary had more bang for your buck. Even back when the first Legacy collection was announced I was saying how utter bullshit it was that it only had MM1-6.

Hell, even MM1-10 isn't really good enough by today's standards. We should also have gotten the two arcade games that were on the Anniversary Collection and these shouldn't be straight ports with the same awful slowdown and sprite flickering. This is amateur hour crap.

I'm actually in the minority and really like MM8 and MM10 so I'll get this if it ever drops down to around 5 bucks, maybe, but $20 is asking too much for straight ports of 4 games most of us already have.

kc44135

So the Mega Man Legacy collection is bad? I was thinking about getting it along with this new collection coming out, as I LOVE old-school 2D platforms from the NES era, but have never touched a Mega Man game before. I guess I should just pass/wait for a sale?

Blues1990

So the Mega Man Legacy collection is bad? I was thinking about getting it along with this new collection coming out, as I LOVE old-school 2D platforms from the NES era, but have never touched a Mega Man game before. I guess I should just pass/wait for a sale?

There's bad emulation, and there's good emulation. Most purists seem to forget about the emulation used for the Mega Man Anniversary Collection, which was sloppy to the point of being nigh unplayable on the GameCube, thanks to backwards, non-adjustable controls. (Also, Mega Man 7's ending is missing.)

All-in-all, the first Legacy Collection is a great introduction for those who are new to the Classic Mega Man series, and it's available on PC, PS4, Xbox One, and the Nintendo 3DS. I would personally avoid Legacy Collection II, if only for the mishmash of quality for 7 & 8 and lack of features.

Opa-Pa

Wily Wars surely has its faults and can be pretty janky in places (lmao Protoman being a 1:1 conversion of his sprite and thus very tiny), but as a remake is fairly functional and since it isn't a port I can accept some of the changes. Plus getting to hear the soundtracks with that chip is a treat.

That being said yeah, I don't really play on old hardware anymore so my go to versions of Mega Man are the Complete Works ones on my PS3 and Vita and the Legacy Collection on my 3DS. I swear I must have beaten each game on my 3DS at least thrice by now and that's not counting the times I played the PS4 version.

Capcom decided to make it for PS4 and XB1. And it started development long before Switch was even out. It's really that simple.

I really doubt this collection predates the Switch unveiling. Disney Afternoon sure, but the only way it makes sense that DE aren't making this one is that Capcom started development some months ago while DE were still busy, rather than starting both simultaneously.

No it isn't. It was an indie effort by preservation enthusiasts to preserve the original NES games as accurately as possible without resorting to straight emulation or porting and in a way that would make them easy to port to future platforms (this is the reason it only includes the NES games by the way! Not them being stingy or lazy). But it had a few glitches due to the nature of the emulation method, but most were fixed later. People just want 20 games in these to justify paying for it.

If you are a beginner these are the definitive way to experience the games.

vala

fab66f38.jpg

Secret 5 game.....
(between 8 and 9...)

Rockman and Forte most likely.

I do wonder if this would eligible for the US releases. It was never localized via on SNES, although it was on GBA.

Would be cool if they could toggle the region. You could to that with the NES/Famicom releases in Collection 1.

SFC release has such a better soundtrack than GBA that it's not even funny.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I really doubt this collection predates the Switch unveiling. Disney Afternoon sure, but the only way it makes sense that DE aren't making this one is that Capcom started development some months ago while DE were still busy, rather than starting both simultaneously. .

I didn't say "unveiling." I said "before it was out."

And this obviously was in development before March.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Rockman and Forte most likely.

I do wonder if this would eligible for the US releases. It was never localized via on SNES, although it was on GBA.

If Japan seriously gets the game and America doesn't, simply because Capcom was too lazy to translate the SNES version for us, that's pretty nonsense and I won't be buying this.

Hopefully this means it's an unlockable secret game you get for perhaps beating 7 and 8.

entremet

Would be cool if they could toggle the region. You could to that with the NES/Famicom releases in Collection 1.

SFC release has such a better soundtrack than GBA that it's not even funny.

Yeah, SNES ports to GBA suffered a lot if you were a purists of the originals. Music, color palettes, aspect ratio.

Portable SNES games were pretty cool at the time, tho.

Opa-Pa

Man I get so jealous of those cover variants, they did the same for the first collection on 3DS in Japan and they looked glorious.

Also if Japan does get MM&B then forget everything I said about the lack of it "making sense". I hope it's an unexpected game and not it though, there'd be no point in hiding it to begin with.

If it's MM&B though... Eh, guess I'll get the japanese version digital for completion's sake alongside american physical.

rackham

Banned
People are in for a real surprise when they find out how bad mega man and bass is. I say that as someone who owned and beat the gba version.

God help you on your first mega man play through. The first boss is a shit storm of boredom.

This collection is just reminding me of how much I wish they had continued with the 32-bit style from the gem of a game that is MM8. I see this "Capcom used to be cool" thread and think of how MM8 just bled that spirit I think people are getting at.

and soundtrack that IMO only really shines on the GBA port

Damn I was with you until this lol.

The GBA soundtrack is dope, but I feel I never thought it was an upgrade moreso as an energizing of the SNES soundtrack. It's like the original was a chill, SNES-y version of MM8's music while the GBA felt like it was reaching to be an X game. On that note, though, they both had their issues: the SNES tracks could often feel a bit patched together, while the GBA had the typical GBA messiness at times.

SNES version with interchangeable soundtracks would be neat, but I'm not holding my breath on a project like this even if DE aren't working on it (same goes for MM8's voicework/music/version differences, MM7's ending, whatever else).

Opa-Pa

Edit: Haha oops, sorry, I do kinda like the SNES tracks, but I think it's the samples they used that simply don't grab me. The ice stage track for example sounds alright on SNES to me but on GBA is godlike.

And yeah while I prefer the 8 bit style, Mega Man 8 feels like a game that would have worked as some sort of MM revival today, it's true to the series but tries lots of new stuff and the visual style is GORGEOUS. I wouldn't mind if Capcom decided to go that route someday (yeah right).

People are in for a real surprise when they find out how bad mega man and bass is. I say that as someone who owned and beat the gba version.

God help you on your first mega man play through. The first boss is a shit storm of boredom.

Haha thank god I'm not the only one. I /hate/ 7 but I can kinda see it as a competent game. MM&B feels like a rushed apology game for Nintendo fans who couldn't play MM8 (it even reuses bosses from it). Sure it has some fun parts but everything felt... Chaotic, I don't know how to explain it.

Balance was pretty terrible too and you can tell they designed the game assuming you'd only play as Bass.

At least the GBA soundtrack is pretty good!

Blues1990

And you aren't saying this is due to how the GBA screen had cropped a good 10%-20% of the screen, making some platforming obstacles a pain the god damn ass? Yeah, the GBA port is horrible in that regard.

I played the Famicom version (translated in English) some time ago and it's my favorite Mega Man game, plain and simple. Solid level design, the insane amount of collectibles, and the amazing replay value you get with both Mega Man and Bass in tandem. It helps that Bass is a blast to play, and unlike for MM10, the game was designed for his mechanics.

rackham

Banned
Haha thank god I'm not the only one. I /hate/ 7 but I can kinda see it as a competent game. MM&B feels like a rushed apology game for Nintendo fans who couldn't play MM8 (it even reuses bosses from it). Sure it has some fun parts but everything felt... Chaotic, I don't know how to explain it.

Balance was pretty terrible too and you can tell they designed the game assuming you'd only play as Bass.

At least the GBA soundtrack is pretty good!
The first boss as mega man has you only doing one hit point of damage per bullet and you can only damage the boss after he's done flashing. So fucking boring.

The screw market system is stupid.

The game feels way more linear.

The only good thing about it is bass but since the level design and bosses kind of suck, it doesn't mean much
And you aren't saying this is due to how the GBA screen had cropped a good 10%-20% of the screen, making some platforming obstacles a pain the god damn ass? Yeah, the GBA port is horrible in that regard.

I played the Famicom version (translated in English) some time ago and it's my favorite Mega Man game, plain and simple. Solid level design, the insane amount of collectibles, and the amazing replay value you get with both Mega Man and Bass in tandem. It helps that Bass is a blast to play, and unlike for MM10, the game was designed for his mechanics.
I hate the level design. The rest of my reply is above

Yeah, SNES ports to GBA suffered a lot if you were a purists of the originals. Music, color palettes, aspect ratio.

Portable SNES games were pretty cool at the time, tho.
The main problem with MM&B on GBA wasn't aspect ratio per se. Yes the GBA screen was wider than a 4:3 TV but the problem was the resolution! You saw less on GBA than on snes and on a very tough platformer like this one it was a real problem! Made it unplayable and unfairly difficult as far as I'm concerned.

ZeoVGM

Banned

But it's not bad. It's a great game.

Opa-Pa

I did like the database too, that was neat and I wish it'd be incorporated as part of the extras in the new collection. But yeah, really not a fan of &B, and I played both versions.

I'll probably bite if they add & Bass in there.

But what if it's actually MM Soccer??

Then it'd be GOTY contender.

Sciz

MM&B is a delightful course correction for the series after the collection of weird and boring stage design decisions that was 8. If the various King mechs weren't such a colossal pain in the ass I'd have very little bad to say about it.

The first boss as mega man has you only doing one hit point of damage per bullet and you can only damage the boss after he's done flashing. So fucking boring.

I... what? What boss are you talking about?

Blues1990

I... what? What boss are you talking about?

It depends on what he's talking about. If it's the Green Devil boss during the Robot Museum segment, it can only be defeated in one hit with the Remote Mind ability (as Mega Man). Cold Man is the first boss to face in that game (Weakness Order), but I don't recall him having such a weird pattern.

Otherwise, I have no clue. :/

pa22word

I'll buy this just for 9&10 PC

9 is such an amazing game, and 10 is a highly underrated gem that I thought got a lot of undeserved flak at the time due to the circumstances of its release relative to 9. The dlc situation was bullshit, but the game itself was great.

Battlechili

Banned
I'm curious to find out if this is emulating these games or not like the first collection did. I'd imagine due to the various slew of platforms these original games were released on it'd be much more difficult to utilize emulation for them all in a collection, right? Are they proper ports or what?

Top Bottom