• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 is coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC this August!

Opa-Pa

They should have added every single MM branded game like that one old Collection that had godawful emulation precisely because they cared more about quantity than quality and emulation isn't easy.

Ugh it just kills me no Vita or Switch port exist because Mega Man is meant for a portable.

Come to think of it, MMLC's 3DS version was announced after the others were out and was likely made mainly for Japan, because not only they love Mega Man but handhelds are their thing, so I guess a late Switch port isn't that farfetched of a thing.

I never beat MM8 (I played it on the PS2 Anniversary Collection) because that Wily Stage that opened with JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE was excruciating and not fun!

It wasnt until years later that I learned that the A.C. had a lot of issues when emulating the games, especially MM8. What exactly were the problems and did those really affected negatively the JUMP SLIDE sections of MM8?

I never beat MM8 (I played it on the PS2 Anniversary Collection) because that Wily Stage that opened with JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE was excruciating and not fun!

It wasnt until years later that I learned that the A.C. had a lot of issues when emulating the games, especially MM8. What exactly were the problems and did those really affected negatively the JUMP SLIDE sections of MM8?

Fuck that section. Played the game on PS3 last year and it took me more than an hour to get through it. Frustrating as hell.

So pumped. MM8 was my jam on PSX.

Ditto. I understand why it gets hated on. But MM8 holds a very special, extra cheesy place in my heart. I still remember not being able to beat any of the 4 first robot masters as a kid and my heart pumping when I finally beat Grenade Man. Back when my skills were garbage.

Excited for this. Extremely let down no MM&Fish or the Arcade games but I'll always take any Mega Man I can get

recursive

It is great how we get to keep reliving the mega man classics but I think it is finally time for a new mega man.

Sciz

It is great how we get to keep reliving the mega man classics but I think it is finally time for a new mega man.

Hope you like cartoon tie-ins.

Mega Man 9 is so damned legit.

Dunno why these couldn't have just been on the first one though.

Two additional platforms to emulate, plus an additional engine to port to multiple systems to support 9 and 10. Inflates the production time and cost significantly compared to LC1's single platform focus.

Little weird to split the collection like this and not go that extra mile for a decent version of & Bass, and add in all those obscure little side games like Power Battles, Power Fighters and Battle & Chase.

X series and Zero/ZX series remasters next? There is really zero reason not to remake ZX.

branny

MM8 is one of my favorite Mega Man games outside of the X and Zero series. I don't know why people here hate it so much. There is never a dull moment with that goofy voice acting, the spritework is gorgeous, the music is incredible, some of the weapons are actually practical (for example, abusing the Mega Ball during jumps is great), the levels have decent gimmicks and replay value with collecting bolts (half of them are even locked out to make them more complex by requiring weapons you get early on), the retro bosses are nice touches (granted, not in the PS1 version), you get to buy all sorts of different upgrades at the shop, and the campaign just feels nice and meaty in general.

I don't understand the hate for the Jump Jump Slide Slide stuff, either… I was totally fine with it on the Saturn when I was a kid, so either people get frustrated way too easily now or there must be some technical issues with other versions. The game is already generous enough with checkpoints, so yeah… Oh, and the shmup sections were fun diversions, too. I think it's just a pleasant game, all-around.

MM8 to me is like the X4 of the mainline series. I wasn't a fan of MM7, personally. I was so disappointed when MM9 and MM10 took the NES route.

Leave it in untranslated... It's a mega Man game, not dragon quest. Or hire an additional programmer and copy-paste the gba translation into it after the prerequisite formatting and dialogue hacks are made.

The translation is fine, but I very much doubt they want to take the time and effort to make a proper romhack. As much as I'd love MM&B in this collection, there's considerably time/cost to putting it in, and there's no way Capcom would greenlight leaving in the Japanese version even though it's not particularly text heavy.

Opa-Pa

Mega Man 8 is amazing alright. What's weird to me is that so many Want & Bass, which yes, would be nice to have for completion's sake, but is pretty much a poor man's MM8 with awful difficulty balance and soundtrack that IMO only really shines on the GBA port that's otherwise objectively inferior... And is the only translated version, which is obviously the very reason it wasn't included.

Two additional platforms to emulate, plus an additional engine to port to multiple systems to support 9 and 10. Inflates the production time and cost significantly compared to LC1's single platform focus.

Honestly it's nice to want things, but Mega Man collection threads can get so annoying with stuff like this. You don't put a lot of roms in a blender and get a compilation like this (not referring to the person you're replying to in particular).

The goal Digital Eclipse set for themselves with the first collection was to honor the NES games' legacy by making the best possible compilation for it. That's the reason it only included the originals, as adding more games means emulating more platforms and things get messy as we've seen with past efforts.

Now Capcom decided to make this one by themselves it seems, targeting multiple games from different platforms and it's likely that one or two of the games will suffer because of it, but I want to be optimistic.

Eusis

Come to think of it, MMLC's 3DS version was announced after the others were out and was likely made mainly for Japan, because not only they love Mega Man but handhelds are their thing, so I guess a late Switch port isn't that farfetched of a thing.
They could probably even do ultimate complete physical releases on all three platforms that way (PS4, XB1, and Switch.)

Mega Man 9 is so damned legit.

Dunno why these couldn't have just been on the first one though.

The first one was a very particular kind of game compilation. It was done by Digital Eclipse, who were championing a new kind of way to emulate games from other systems. They've implied they can get their engine working for other systems, but as a starting point they went with NES. That's why the original Mega Man Legacy Collection and the Disney one were strictly about NES games. Mega Man 9 and 10 are running on their own custom engine.

This collection is decidedly not that. Digital Eclipse isn't associated with it, which is why Capcom is throwing in a bunch of games from a bunch of different platforms. This means they're likely using generic emulators, which may or may not be good. The quality of this collection is definitely up in the air (even the Digital Eclipse emulation had its issues with sound clipping and input lag).

The first one was a very particular kind of game compilation. It was done by Digital Eclipse, who were championing a new kind of way to emulate games from other systems. They've implied they can get their engine working for other systems, but as a starting point they went with NES. That's why the original Mega Man Legacy Collection and the Disney one were strictly about NES games. Mega Man 9 and 10 are running on their own custom engine.

This collection is decidedly not that. Digital Eclipse isn't associated with it, which is why Capcom is throwing in a bunch of games from a bunch of different platforms. This means they're likely using generic emulators, which may or may not be good. The quality of this collection is definitely up in the air (even the Digital Eclipse emulation had its issues with sound clipping and input lag).

This is good info. I hope they (DE) keep trying to do things like this.

They could probably even do ultimate complete physical releases on all three platforms that way (PS4, XB1, and Switch.)
That would be ideal and I'd argue that's what they should have done. I mean, their precious collection of Mega Man games back on the PS2 and GC included all of the main Mega Man up till that point

Eusis

That would be ideal and I'd argue that's what they should have done. I mean, their precious collection of Mega Man games back on the PS2 and GC included all of the main Mega Man up till that point
Well, the collections have been $20 each. That hypothetical one could go for $40. Or even $30!

Well, the collections have been $20 each. That hypothetical one could go for $40. Or even $30!
$40 would be worth it and $30 would be great. For 10 games, mostly good, barring some exceptions, that'd more than make me happy. Would rather that than buying them separately as I prefer to have everything all in one

Box art:

9XkoCPM.jpg
L9Feo1g.jpg

Magnus

While I'd normally be pumped about this, wasn't the first legacy collection supposed to have been a disaster?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
The real crime is no Wily Wars. Even MM&B got a port and re-releases. Wily Wars is lost to the ages~

Ugh it just kills me no Vita or Switch port exist because Mega Man is meant for a portable.
If that were the case why were 7/8 not released on the Gameboy? or 9/10 on the DS? Instead they were all released on the consoles of those eras.

While I'd normally be pumped about this, wasn't the first legacy collection supposed to have been a disaster?

Yes. Honestly, I'd fully expect this to launch with problems. Between the first MM collection and the Disney thing, Digital Eclipse have proven to be a bit shit, but they do eventually fix stuff with patches.

Just means the physical release will be fairly worthless.

Edit: Oh, Digital Eclipse aren't involved this time? Best~

The first Legacy Collection was not a "disaster." It had some minor issues at launch and the 3DS version alone had some singnificant emulation problems with Mega Man 5 (which were mysteriously fixed just by switching to and playing Rockman 5 instead), but nothing even close to what I'd call a disaster or even bad.

Mega Man Legacy Collection is still the best way to play Mega Man 1-6 besides the original cartridges and maybe the Wii Virtual Console versions, and it includes quite a bit of content never localized into English before, such as the database entries from the Rockman Complete Works series on PS1. It's a strong collection, and while it isn't perfect, its "disastrous" problems are gravely overblown.

Either way, for better and worse Digital Eclipse is not involved in Legacy Collection 2, so take that as you will and set your expectations accordingly.

Opa-Pa

That cover art is pretty alright, nice.

Also mark my words, people will wish DE were involved in this once it releases.

The real crime is no Wily Wars. Even MM&B got a port and re-releases. Wily Wars is lost to the ages~

Now we're talking. MM&B is kinda shit but Wily Wars is such a cool package. Still can't believe Capcom has never ever bothered making it available again.

Toad.T

Banned
It needs just a little bit more in my eyes. Maybe not Bass like everyone thinks, but maybe Soccer, Battle and Chase, the Arcade titles or the GameBoy games?

Anyone know what that mobile Megaman game that was announced is? Or did those turn into the Java ports?

Zyrox

Came into this thread excited at the prospect of an MM&B port only to be disappointed. Fucking Capcom, man. MM&B is my favorite classic MM game next to MM3.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
No Mega Man and Bass is extremely disappointing.

Might pass on this. I have 7 on my 3DS and 8 on my Vita. 9 and 10 are tempting, but, I dunno.

Now, an X collection, I'd be all over that.

I thought the same thing. Evidence pointed out that Digital Eclipse was just using a fancy NES emulator to run the games, instead of the so called "eclipse engine" that allowed for "HD Flair".

I have no clue about why people just ignore that.

Rambaldi

I think this collection is too barebones with what's included. Gonna wait for a sale. Which sucks because I really want to support Mega Man but my budget is tight for a while.

Opa-Pa

I thought the same thing. Evidence pointed out that Digital Eclipse was just using a fancy NES emulator to run the games, instead of the so called "eclipse engine" that allowed for "HD Flair".

I have no clue about why people just ignore that.

The way I remember it (and I may be wrong) is that Digital Eclipse had to create this roundabout method of pseudo-emulation that utilizes, say, a regular MM2 rom to use its assets to recreate the game on the fly, all because apparently Nintendo isn't keen of companies emulating their systems. All this is probably the reason why the so called emulation isn't 100% perfect.

This is why stuff like the challenges, even crazy ones that combine all bosses from are games are possible, by the way, since stuff like that simply isn't possible via emulation unless they were to make each challenge as some sort of separate rom hack.

So anyway, DE's work was pretty impressive for what it was and I think the complaints are overblown. Also they've stated that they were aware of every glitch in the different versions but Capcom simply didn't care enough to pay them to patch them.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Goof Troop and what else? Bonkers?

Fuuuuck thaaaaat

It wouldn't be a "Disney Afternoon Collection 2" but rather a "Disney Retro Collection."

SNES:
Goof Troop
Aladdin
The Magical Quest
The Great Circus Mystery
Magical Quest 3
Bonkers

NES:
Adventures in the Magic Kingdom
Mickey Mousecapade
The Little Mermaid

The six SNES games would be great on their own and provide equal value to the first collection. But I think they should throw in the three remaining NES games to give fans a complete collection of Capcom's retro Disney games. That would be a day one purchase.

I should say that I don't know whether or not Adventures in the Magic Kingdom aged well at all but I played the hell out of it as a kid. Little Mermaid likely holds up similarly to the games in the Disney Afternoon Collection though.

(And I'm not sure where the rights to Mickey Mouscapade stand as that was published and developed by Hudson in Japan. Capcom only published it in North America.)

Top Bottom