• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Legends Vs. Zelda OoT, which is the better game?

Which was/is the better Action-adventure game from the late 90's?

• Total voters
Now before People go crazy, yes these games are similar outside the primary weapon being long/short range and the time settings with one being in a more technological age than the other. Also both being on two different consoles. (excluding the later N64 port of MML)
1130286_0.jpg

I know it'll be hard to get only people who played both to vote but IMO Mega Man Legends is the superior game in "most" ways to OoT, and MML came out first. Several publications and hype (primarily in the US) have hyped up OoT as some untouchable force due to rumored paid reviews, and half the gaming sites being Nintendo sites in the mid 90's and then adapting over time, (look at GS and IGN early undetailed one paragraph reviews.) but there are several things that OoT got "a pass on" that other games got points subtracted on. Even from then till now many complaints about OoT level/dungeon design and mechanical issues yet people will continue to give the game high scores, even the 3DS remake, and let several problems slide.

IMO, Mega Man Legends is the better game by far for the following reasons:

1. Some questionable stuff at the end of the game aside, the plot of MML makes more sense, is more coherent, and brings you into the game world.
2. Unlike OoT there's a lack of tedious tasks and backtracking.
3. The games towns/cities are active and actually have much more interactive elements to them than OoT. No to mention NPC dialogue changing with actions.
4. The game basically allows you to leave the main path at anytime, in fact, that is available early in the game. No hand-holding.
5. The Targeting system tracks much better. In OoT a lot of enemies require you to aim a bit ahead of where the target marker is to hit,while in most cases in MML target is set.
6. You have the ability to upgrade and customize the protagonist more in MML than in Oot, adding depth, variety, and replaybaility.
7. The game moves much faster, and the faster pace makes the action more exciting and tense.
8. NPC's actually aren't one dimensional relatively in MML as opposed to OoT.
9. Characters can actually emote well.
10. Several quests can effect certain parts of the game and most are open to you throughout the game.
11. Several events or situations trigger depending on where you are or what you do at certain times in MML. Encouraging you to leave the main story path often.
12. Voice Acting.
13. Dungeon designs are made within the abilities of the protagonist, thus removing tedium and artificial extended gameplay time due to having to do things "the long way".
14. Boss battles are more strategic, and the faster movement allows various ways to take on a boss or evade. While OoT is more limited.
15. No finicky Auto-jump.
16. Mega Man has several mechanics native and that can be added later on that give you much greater freedom during exploration and combat.
17. Impact from enemy attacks cause more or less damage based on how direct the attack actually hit you in MML very frequently.
18. Terrain actually has an impact on combat very often in MML.
19. Several secondary weapons and gadgets have utility in the game world at a much higher frequency in MML than OoT.
20. Enemies have generally better A.I. and later on, more unpredictable attack patterns relatively, in MML than OoT.
21. No fairy.
22. Game world in MML is less barren and empty.
23. Several optional ways to traverse the game world even from earlier in the game, saving time.
24. An evil/good system that gains or blocks access to certain features and benefits. Adding a new dimension to gameplay.
25. You can see areas you saved/donated to being built over time and often there's a bonus once building is finished. A rewarding experience.

Of course these are all my views but I generally feel that MML is the better game of the two. OoT is a good game for the N64, however Mega Man Legends imo the better take on a similar idea.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
OoT, it's not even a contest, it's both more fun to actually play with more intuitive and fluid as well as varied systems, from the action to the puzzles, and a more epic adventure. Even in its 20fps N64 iteration.

No idea what you mean about stuff like the target/jump system deficiencies in OoT, I never experienced any problems with either. How do you even hit ahead of the targeting if you're locked on?

Plus it's better to play Legends without lock on if you want gameplay to attempt to resemble something interesting, otherwise you're just pressing the strafe buttons and spamming attack.

Either way it controls way more stiffly, the areas are way more limited and flat and less interesting to explore and the whole thing is an obvious product of its time. OoT is timeless.

Lol @ revisionism to claim OoT only has fame cos of paid reviews and pro-Nintendo attitudes when that era was the beginning of their PR downfall, PlayStation was all the rage/hype everywhere before the N64 even released being so late. Thankfully tons of people got to experience OoT in a faithful enhanced edition recently with the 3DS version and saw it actually remains timeless with only minor gameplay tweaks. Well, trademark Afro thread, gg.

Edit: just played this today (edit date) and you can't even freaking move while locked on in Mega Man Legends so you're better off not using it like 90% of the time, they added that in 2 where it's still way clunkier than OoT (as most games of the era anyway).

Last edited:

DonF

First of all, Megaman Legends 2 is better than 1, second of all...come on. I love both games, but OoT is just sublime in every way. Great game, music, gameplay, story, scope...its just on another level.

DonF

Which wouldn't be a fair comparison given these games came out near each other and have similar ideas and mechanics.
  • Megaman Legends December 1997
  • Ocarina of time November 1998
  • Megaman Legends 2 April 2000
I dare to say that MM L influenced in nothing OoT, yet MML 2 was heavily influenced by OoT, making it a better game.

• Megaman Legends December 1997
  • Ocarina of time November 1998
  • Megaman Legends 2 April 2000
I dare to say that MM L influenced in nothing OoT, yet MML 2 was heavily influenced by OoT, making it a better game.

And you just proved my point that comparing 2 to OoT wouldn't be a fair comparison since MML and OoT are similar games that are closer to each other (especially by NA release dates) by date.

Also MML2 doesn't have that much OoT influence if any it's a more refined MML1. But that's a different subject.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I loved MML, and would love a remake / remaster -- BUT it's nowhere near as good as OOT

Vbrasa

If you're going to strike at the king, you best not miss... Unfortunately, you missed.

MML is riddled with back tracking and piss poor control. It's still a good game in its own light, but against Ocarina of Time, man... Good try.

Both games got votes, not sure what you're talking about.

Your own poll even answers the question, when one of the votes is for "I've never played MML" but didn't put one in for OoT

Last edited:

Vlaphor

I've never beaten Ocarina of Time before ( I had a N64 briefly, but I traded it in before OoT came out), but I did try to play it on the 3ds and found it to be too clunky and antiquated for my modern tastes. I've beaten MML twice, once on the PSX and once on the Vita and loved both times immensely, so, IMO, MML is the winner (and MML2 is even better).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This seems like a stretch OP

Personal opinions aside (personally, I prefer Mega Man Legends since it has better RPG elements and voice acting) Ocarina is widely regarded as a classic while Mega Man Legends has largely been forgotten.

Arkage

Banned
I remember playing MML and beating in like 6 hours. I was pretty disappointed when they flew to the next island and the credits rolled.

OoT is a much more feature-rich and complete game.

Shifty

I love Mega Man Legends but the answer here is Ocarina. It's the more polished of the two by a long shot.

SoulUnison

Banned
I love Megaman Legends and generally adore Legend 2 but a third of the stuff you list is wrong, and another third is subjective to the point that you basically shoot any argument you might've had in the foot by trying to present it seriously. "No fairy?" Really?

I don't have the time or the desire to go through your post point by point, but I'll just say that I find it bizarre that you call Kattelox Island "less barren and empty," like you're completely ignoring that a huge chunk of the game takes place underground in completely nondescript copy-paste gray rooms and corridors, and there's not a ton of variety on the overworld, either. Ocarina has forests, fields, a mountain/volcano, multiple villages, a lake, a desert, more than a half dozen temples all with distinct themes and visual language... It's not even comparable.

Even from then till now many complaints about OoT level/dungeon design ...

Please, elaborate. I honestly don't think I've ever seen a serious complaint about Ocarina's level design outside of the legendary "Getting lost in the Water Temple," and you're just kind of breezing past this point trying to rewrite history like "As we all know, Ocarina is a game that everyone agrees has weak level design." Like... No buddy. You gotta back that shit up. Who's saying this? What are the complaint? You can't just go "A lot of people are saying! The best people, even!"

5. The Targeting system tracks much better. In OoT a lot of enemies require you to aim a bit ahead of where the target marker is to hit,while in most cases in MML target is set.

What does this even mean? That's not how Z-targeting works, and it's not even how the bow/slingshot/hookshot/whatever work. Target marker?
And beyond that, are you complaining because there's a slight amount of skill required in something?

1. Some questionable stuff at the end of the game aside, the plot of MML makes more sense, is more coherent, and brings you into the game world.

"Besides, y'know, the climax of the game that everything's supposed to have been leading up to and which 'explains' everything else but is sort of incredibly flimsy the story's makes way more sense!"
What in Ocarina doesn't "make sense" to you? And no fair just sweeping Mega Man Juno under the rug like that. Shit was weird.
It was colorful and bizarre and I loved it and I was totally along for the ride with no complaints but shit was weird.

4. The game basically allows you to leave the main path at anytime, in fact, that is available early in the game. No hand-holding.
You realize that this isn't actually that unique and that there's a great deal of both intentional and subversive sequence breaking possible in Ocarina, right?

I just... Wow. Some opinions are wrong, not even because it's possible to give a definitive answer to a subjective question, but because it's troubling to see just how much you already had a conclusion in mind and worked backwards to try to make it true, and just how easily you were apparently able to convince yourself, that way. It's awesome that you love Megaman Legends and I bet it has some great nostalgic place or emotional attachment for you, and, you know what, maybe there's even a case to be made that as an entertainment product Legends is just sort of more immediately "fun" than Ocarina is. But, that said, Ocarina is just...so much more than Legends and has a place as a legitimate artistic and historical piece while Legends will kind of always be that "Saturday Morning Cartoon Mega Man Game" people remember sort-of fondly.

Ocarina is a game that rippled through an entire media industry.
Megaman Legends...existed...and it was pretty fun.

Last edited:

Alexios

Please, elaborate. I honestly don't think I've ever seen a serious complaint about Ocarina's level design outside of the legendary "Getting lost in the Water Temple," and you're just kind of breezing past this point trying to rewrite history like "As we all know, Ocarina is a game that everyone agrees has weak level design." Like... No buddy. You gotta back that shit up. Who's saying this? What are the complaint? You can't just go "A lot of people are saying! The best people, even!"
Lol, that's his shtick, present an innocent and potentially interesting title or poll, then low key rewrite history in the rest of the post and/or with skewed available choices. From a 3DO appreciation topic trying to pass it off as better than PS/Saturn and having a ton of great 60fps games (not, then he changed his shtick there after he got challenged to pretend he was in it for the science which to him was to make someone test every-single-3DO game as having already tested most of the well known/praised games wasn't good enough) to OoT only having fame due to paid reviews and pro-Nintendo fakers in the press even though it's apparently universally panned in level design. I noted the targeting stuff in my post too, I've no idea what he's on about. Like I guess when you're aiming the bow (or slingshot) in first person you aren't supposed to aim right on the moving target but ahead of it if it's moving sideways as arrows have a given travel speed that isn't instant hit-scan? Like, that's a feature, how does one miss the point so badly? It's the same thing that allows you to move out of the way of enemy shots by running around at a distance, why wouldn't you apply the same logic to the enemies against your shots? If you're that bad at it you can move closer to reduce that effect or use third person lock-on aiming and/or anticipate the movement patterns to fire the arrow or stone off when they're not speeding sideways if we're talking about enemies. Duh? I'm sure part of his retort to you will be that someone, somewhere, some time, maybe himself, can be cited as having complaints about the temples (after all, not 100% of the people like any game, there's always accounting for tastes) so it must be true even if the overwhelming majority opinion praises it because hey, paid reviews and Nintendo fanboy shills (lets ignore the mixed MML reception, please!). OoT basically controls like a modern game outside lacking a 2nd analog stick for the camera yet he finds faults, compared to one of the simplest, stiffest and most sluggish 3D characters of the era!

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
OOT wins out in gameplay, but I enjoyed the cast of characters in MML more.

The series might have been stronger had it been on PS2 instead.

Iamjash

Neo Member
Now before People go crazy, yes these games are similar outside the primary weapon being long/short range and the time settings with one being in a more technological age than the other. Also both being on two different consoles. (excluding the later N64 port of MML)
1130286_0.jpg

I know it'll be hard to get only people who played both to vote but IMO Mega Man Legends is the superior game in "most" ways to OoT, and MML came out first. Several publications and hype (primarily in the US) have hyped up OoT as some untouchable force due to rumored paid reviews, and half the gaming sites being Nintendo sites in the mid 90's and then adapting over time, (look at GS and IGN early undetailed one paragraph reviews.) but there are several things that OoT got "a pass on" that other games got points subtracted on. Even from then till now many complaints about OoT level/dungeon design and mechanical issues yet people will continue to give the game high scores, even the 3DS remake, and let several problems slide.

IMO, Mega Man Legends is the better game by far for the following reasons:

2. Unlike OoT there's a lack of tedious tasks and backtracking.
3. The games towns/cities are active and actually have much more interactive elements to them than OoT. No to mention NPC dialogue changing with actions.
6. You have the ability to upgrade and customize the protagonist more in MML than in Oot, adding depth, variety, and replaybaility.
7. The game moves much faster, and the faster pace makes the action more exciting and tense.
8. NPC's actually aren't one dimensional relatively in MML as opposed to OoT.
9. Characters can actually emote well.
10. Several quests can effect certain parts of the game and most are open to you throughout the game.
11. Several events or situations trigger depending on where you are or what you do at certain times in MML. Encouraging you to leave the main story path often.
12. Voice Acting.
13. Dungeon designs are made within the abilities of the protagonist, thus removing tedium and artificial extended gameplay time due to having to do things "the long way".
14. Boss battles are more strategic, and the faster movement allows various ways to take on a boss or evade. While OoT is more limited.
15. No finicky Auto-jump.
16. Mega Man has several mechanics native and that can be added later on that give you much greater freedom during exploration and combat.
17. Impact from enemy attacks cause more or less damage based on how direct the attack actually hit you in MML very frequently.
18. Terrain actually has an impact on combat very often in MML.
19. Several secondary weapons and gadgets have utility in the game world at a much higher frequency in MML than OoT.
20. Enemies have generally better A.I. and later on, more unpredictable attack patterns relatively, in MML than OoT.
21. No fairy.
22. Game world in MML is less barren and empty.
23. Several optional ways to traverse the game world even from earlier in the game, saving time.
24. An evil/good system that gains or blocks access to certain features and benefits. Adding a new dimension to gameplay.
25. You can see areas you saved/donated to being built over time and often there's a bonus once building is finished. A rewarding experience.

Of course these are all my views but I generally feel that MML is the better game of the two. OoT is a good game for the N64, however Mega Man Legends imo the better take on a similar idea.
C'mon fam Legends was great but not like OOT

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
What next some Dark Cloud 1 vs. some Zelda game poll because the character looks like Link?
220px-Dark_Cloud_PS2_Game_cover.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexios

What next some Dark Cloud 1 vs. some Zelda game poll because the character looks like Link?
220px-Dark_Cloud_PS2_Game_cover.jpg
You can build a kingdom, use one of six characters, use different weapons, level up, or do other stuff you don't have in Zelda given the different setting, themes and stories. So, Dark Cloud objectively wins, duh.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
While in terms of settings and story, MML may have been more appealing to many, game had many issues, as most PS1 3d games.
Also you are ignoring Misadventures of Tron Bonne, that was releaved in December of 1998 and bridged the gap between Legends 1 and 2. Some preferred it to 2.

But if you want a realy underrated game that did not get the praise and sequels it deserved, look no further than Tail Concerto. Released also before Zelda. Adorable world and characters, with participation of known anime aand manga artists, yet Bandai rejected a sequel twice due to less than expected sales. There was supposed to be a trilogy.

We are in a videogame forum. You expect at least 99,999% played the best game in history.

I tried it for a few minutes but stopped. Sae for the rest of 3d Zeldas. Was more used to 2d Zeldas that jumped straight to action where enemies searched for you instead of you searching for enemies. O

Rajack

I love Rockman Dash, but there's no way it holds a candle to OoT. It's just too clunky and generally unrefined.

SoulUnison

Banned
You can build a kingdom, use one of six characters, use different weapons, level up, or do other stuff you don't have in Zelda given the different setting, themes and stories. So, Dark Cloud objectively wins, duh.

"More equals better and I don't understand individual tastes for aesthetics or how to gauge quality or evaluate impact outside of my personal preferences, so that's right out the window!"

Last edited:

nkarafo

"More equals better and I don't understand individual tastes for aesthetics or how to gauge quality or evaluate impact outside of my personal preferences, so that's right out the window!"
It's almost as if every game is designed to have it's own things!

backtracking.
Btw OP, this is a plus, it shouldn't count as a negative. It's a game where you freely explore a world and you can use items/abilities on places you might visited before in order to unlock new paths/areas. Kinda like Metroid.

Exploration and freedom of movement is nice.

Last edited:
Lol, that's his shtick, present an innocent and potentially interesting title or poll, then low key rewrite history in the rest of the post and/or with skewed available choices. From a 3DO appreciation topic trying to pass it off as better than PS/Saturn and having a ton of great 60fps games (not, then he changed his shtick there after he got challenged to pretend he was in it for the science which to him was to make someone test every-single-3DO game as having already tested most of the well known/praised games wasn't good enough) to OoT only having fame due to paid reviews and pro-Nintendo fakers in the press even though it's apparently universally panned in level design. I noted the targeting stuff in my post too, I've no idea what he's on about. Like I guess when you're aiming the bow (or slingshot) in first person you aren't supposed to aim right on the moving target but ahead of it if it's moving sideways as arrows have a given travel speed that isn't instant hit-scan? Like, that's a feature, how does one miss the point so badly? It's the same thing that allows you to move out of the way of enemy shots by running around at a distance, why wouldn't you apply the same logic to the enemies against your shots? If you're that bad at it you can move closer to reduce that effect or use third person lock-on aiming and/or anticipate the movement patterns to fire the arrow or stone off when they're not speeding sideways if we're talking about enemies. Duh? I'm sure part of his retort to you will be that someone, somewhere, some time, maybe himself, can be cited as having complaints about the temples (after all, not 100% of the people like any game, there's always accounting for tastes) so it must be true even if the overwhelming majority opinion praises it because hey, paid reviews and Nintendo fanboy shills (lets ignore the mixed MML reception, please!). OoT basically controls like a modern game outside lacking a 2nd analog stick for the camera yet he finds faults, compared to one of the simplest, stiffest and most sluggish 3D characters of the era!

You may need to take some medication and calm down.

Petrae

I have played both and didn’t like either, so it’s a draw as I believe both series should’ve stayed in 2D.

I have played both and didn’t like either, so it’s a draw as I believe both series should’ve stayed in 2D.

Well in MM's case you had both. Legends was a 3D spin-off, so at least 2D fans still has options. 2d Zelda fans however, at least on consoles, had no such option. Well until the GameCube anyway.

Knightime_X

I refuse to compare the 2.
I like them both but for different reasons.
I just wish MML 1 and 2 got an update where I can use both analog sticks to move and shoot.

Dude Abides

Banned
I stopped playing OoT after about an hour when it came out whereas I stuck with MML for a day or two so I'll go with MML.

Top Bottom