• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men should dance, the more manly they are, the more they should dance

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

remzedh8.gif

I enjoyed dancing as a kid. Not so much as an adult.

"You should get up and dance" is on the same spectrum as "You should smile more".

I've never seen anyone not look like a dweeb while dancing, even those perceived to be amazing dancers. I have a Terrisusesque mental disconnect that prevents me from seeing dancing as anything other than pointless flailing.

Why does it everything has to be "because women like it" or "being attractive to women"?

I enjoyed dancing the shit out of Just Dance with a couple of dudes at a party and some of them were like "man, I'm embarassed of doing this shit in front of girls".

I dunno, I just did it because it was fun, not really interested if they didn't like my rendition of Rich Girl or Night Boat to Cairo, ended up laughing like a damn idiot and decided to pick up the game because it felt like a good exercise.
Because for a lot of men, the only reason they would want to dance in the first place is because a girl wants them to. It's great that you enjoy dancing, but for the men who don't enjoy dancing, the number one reason they would do despite that dislike it is to make their lady happy, or to get a woman to take interest in them in a bar or club.

AlexBasch

Because for a lot of men, the only reason they would want to dance in the first place is because a girl wants them to. It's great that you enjoy dancing, but for the men who don't enjoy dancing, the number one reason they would do despite that dislike it is to make their lady happy, or to get a woman to take interest in them in a bar or club.
Yeah, I get that, more the "get their lady happy thing" to be honest.
It's just that I keep seeing these threads about "what women like" and "being attractive to women".

See, I'm not against that, but lately, my interests changed from "being attractive to women" to "doing what I like". I might be awful at dancing, but I had fun with those people (mostly men) and if some girl likes it, cool, if not, then I'll just carry on with my stuff. I have been ridiculed and ostracized by women growing up for my height, weight and face, but at some point you just stop caring about it.

Guess I'm past that phase of "pleasing or trying to please other people", unless it's the "make your lady happy" situation, like that guy who didn't want to go to the ballet, that's nice and thoughtful.

If not, guys, just have fun. I'm the most socially inept guy ever and managed to have a good time by not giving a fuck about what other people think of me. I was offered a Wiimote, went "why not" and ended up having a fun night with laughs and good workout.

Trey

Dancing is fun, healthy, and a good indicator of plenty of things like coordination and confidence - both valuable traits in a person.

Yeah, I get that, more the "get their lady happy thing" to be honest.
It's just that I keep seeing these threads about "what women like" and "being attractive to women".

See, I'm not against that, but lately, my interests changed from "being attractive to women" to "doing what I like". I might be awful at dancing, but I had fun with those people (mostly men) and if some girl likes it, cool, if not, then I'll just carry on with my stuff. I have been ridiculed and ostracized by women growing up for my height, weight and face, but at some point you just stop caring about it.

Guess I'm past that phase of "pleasing or trying to please other people", unless it's the "make your lady happy" situation, like that guy who didn't want to go to the ballet, that's nice and thoughtful.

If not, guys, just have fun. I'm the most socially inept guy ever and managed to have a good time by not giving a fuck about what other people think of me. I was offered a Wiimote, went "why not" and ended up having a fun night with laughs and good workout.
I think you're just assuming that the only reason men don't like dancing is because they'll be embarrassed at being bad at it. If that's a person's problem then yeah, I agree, do whatever you want and don't worry about what other people think.

But for people like me, it's just a general disinterest in the hobby. I don't shy away from dancing because I'm worried that I'd look funny. I'm sure if I practiced I could get good at it too. It's just that I find the act boring and unfun and I dont really want to get good at it in the first place. Dancing kind of has the same social stigma as drinking where it's such a common thing for most people to do that people just can't believe that you're not interested in doing it.

Nodnol

Dancing and sex has always been linked, hasn't it?

Maybe that's just slutty dancing. I know that's worked a treat on me in the past.

My (alcohol fueled) dancing is slightly weird, spontaneous, hits the right notes and stands out from everyone else. Get in line ladies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
this explains why gays are such good dancers. isn't it a proven scientific fact that gays have higher than average levels of testosterone?

AlexBasch

But for people like me, it's just a general disinterest in the hobby. I don't shy away from dancing because I'm worried that I'd look funny. I'm sure if I practiced I could get good at it too. It's just that I find the act boring and unfun and I dont really want to get good at it in the first place. Dancing kind of has the same social stigma as drinking where it's such a common thing for most people to do that people just can't believe that you're not interested in doing it.
Ah, I'm sorry, didn't catch up this was your angle on the whole deal, apologies. Was talking on a more broad, general way of it, of men doing stuff to get noticed by women.

Yeah, if you don't feel attracted to do it, even out of curiosity, then there's no point on "forcing it", I'm not a fan of making someone feel really uncomfortable 'just because', didn't meant to be rude. :)

Fun that you mention drinking too. I like the taste of beer and alcoholic beverages, rather than the "social aspect" of it. I really enjoy the taste of a Dos Equis like some guy who likes tea, Mountain Dew or coffee, I just like it. :p

this explains why gays are such good dancers. isn't it a proven scientific fact that gays have higher than average levels of testosterone?
Sheesh, I'm afraid you're gonna be torn to pieces if someone gets this the wrong way, but yeah, one of the guys at that party was the boyfriend of the host of the party and was the one who brought the Wii. Boy, did he made us look like damn fools dancing Maria by Ricky Martin. :p Even his bf didn't know he was such a good dancer, haha.

I've never seen anyone not look like a dweeb while dancing, even those perceived to be amazing dancers. I have a Terrisusesque mental disconnect that prevents me from seeing dancing as anything other than pointless flailing.

Well the same could be said about sex though, but some people like it.

Ah, I'm sorry, didn't catch up this was your angle on the whole deal, apologies. Was talking on a more broad, general way of it, of men doing stuff to get noticed by women.

Yeah, if you don't feel attracted to do it, even out of curiosity, then there's no point on "forcing it", I'm not a fan of making someone feel really uncomfortable 'just because', didn't meant to be rude. :)

Fun that you mention drinking too. I like the taste of beer and alcoholic beverages, rather than the "social aspect" of it. I really enjoy the taste of a Dos Equis like some guy who likes tea, Mountain Dew or coffee, I just like it. :p

Sheesh, I'm afraid you're gonna be torn to pieces if someone gets this the wrong way, but yeah, one of the guys at that party was the boyfriend of the host of the party and was the one who brought the Wii. Boy, did he made us look like damn fools dancing Maria by Ricky Martin. :p Even his bf didn't know he was such a good dancer, haha.
No need to apologize. You didn't say anything offensive or rude. I was just offering a different perspective on the situation.

I think ultimately we both agree that people should just do whatever they want to do.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

why would i be torn to pieces for citing science facts?

AlexBasch

why would i be torn to pieces for citing science facts?
Beats me. I don't want to derail the conversation, but whenever someone writes "stuff about gay guys", even if it's something like "they're good dancers", I'm always wary it would be taken as a "stereotype" or whatever, at least in this forum.

I didn't know about the "gay men have more testosterone" bit, though.

I dance, I dance well and EVERYONE loves it.
I dance because when I hear a good beat I have to move.
Not because someone wants me to.

This reminds me... I need a go pro camera...
Heh. Watch my tumblr...

I challenge you to a dance off Sai..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom