• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bono wins Woman...Man of the Year award

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

http://www.avclub.com/article/bono-finally-be-recognized-woman-year-245205?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Main:1:Default

1600.jpg

“We’ve talked for years about whether to honor a man at Women of the Year and we’ve always kind of put the kibosh on it,” Glamour Editor-in-Chief Cindi Leive recounts of the fun conversations they have sometimes when it gets a little late and everyone’s kind of spent on talking about women. “You know, men get a lot of awards and aren’t exactly hurting in the celebration and honors department. But it started to seem that that might be an outdated way of looking at things, and there are so many men who really are doing wonderful things for women these days. Some men get it and Bono is one of those guys.”

Other honorees at Glamour’s Women Of The Year include Gwen Stefani; Black-ish star Tracee Ellis Ross; Black Lives Matter founders Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, and Opal Tometi; Olympic gold medalist Simone Biles; actress Zendaya; model Ashley Graham; IMF chief Christine Lagarde; ISIS kidnapping survivor Nadia Murad; and Emily Doe, victim of Stanford rapist Brock Turner—all of whom, in their own individual way, have done as much for women as Bono.

Why?
Glamour said:
Now Bono has created Poverty Is Sexist, a new campaign specifically aimed at helping the world’s poorest women—those who survive on less than $2 a day. “Women bear the burdens of poverty,” Bono says, meaning they are far less likely than men to have access to food, clean water, education, and health care; laws in many parts of the world don’t protect them from sexual violence or allow them to own the land they work. By establishing Poverty Is Sexist, Bono is making it clear that powerful men can, and should, take on these deep-rooted issues.

894b9cffe69081a388e6b48259225264.jpg

Of course, the reaction hasn't been received well. Throw my award in the trash if old.

Platy

I wonder if other prizes have the "We’ve talked for years about whether to honor a woman at Men of the Year"

atr0cious

While ron Swanson is immediately what I thought of, it sounds like they have a better reason to pick bono other than publicity.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean, he's got a good cause and a good message...but this is some Ron Swanson shit right here. Like, come up with a new award to honor the man.

MIMIC

Banned
“You know, men get a lot of awards and aren’t exactly hurting in the celebration and honors department. But it started to seem that that might be an outdated way of looking at things, and there are so many men who really are doing wonderful things for women these days. Some men get it and Bono is one of those guys.”

That is some bizarre logic.

So for those keeping score at home, in the past month we have had:

Bob Dylan win the Literary Nobel Prize
Tupac nominated for the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame
Bono wins Woman of the Year

Glamour really reached a new level of enlightened elevation with this award. Just thinking about the pride (in the name of women) they must feel gives me moral vertigo.

TheJoRu

The most outdated thing here is not that this award was previously just for women, it's all the dull and putrid South Park-references in this thread.

TheJoRu

I get what they are trying to do... but did it have to be Bono?

I mean...there's a lot of people who would be deserving of it, but I don't see the problem here. The award seems to mostly target high-profile or famous people, and Bono's one of those people who has been highlighting these issues. The motivation is pretty sound, IMO.

I mean...there's a lot of people who would be deserving of it, but I don't see the problem here. The award seems to mostly target high-profile or famous people, and Bono's one of those people who has been highlighting these issues. The motivation is pretty sound, IMO.

*Women

Bono is Y/Y chromosome. Could have given the award to you know...a woman. This move signifies that there are NO women doing the same to help women, or that somehow Bono being a man doing this is more noble than a woman doing it.

TheJoRu

*Women

Bono is Y/Y chromosome. Could have given the award to you know...a woman. Like this is like giving a white person "Asian American Excellence and Achievement Award".

Depends on what kind of an award they want it to be. Like, is it mainly about acknowledging great women, or is it mainly about acknowledging great work that is being done in the favor of women? In Bono's case it's obviously the latter, and they've given their motivation as to what work it's for.

Regardless, they're labeling his award "Man of the Year" according to their Facebook, and he's just one of an otherwise all-women list of award recipients.

Depends on what kind of an award they want it to be. Like, is it mainly about acknowledging great women, or is it mainly about acknowledging great work that is being done in the favor of women? In Bono's case it's obviously the latter, and they've given their motivation as to what work it's for.

Regardless, they're labeling his award "Man of the Year" according to their Facebook, and he's just one of an otherwise all-women list of award recipients.

I'd have to do a little research to make sure, but it seems like the issue isn't necessarily that they're giving him an award called "Woman of the Year", but that they've generally only given the award to women, and have decided in this year to give it to a man. It doesn't really matter if they call it "Man of the Year", because it's still giving him an award that they've only given to women before.

Platy

*Women

Bono is Y/Y chromosome. Could have given the award to you know...a woman. This move signifies that there are NO women doing the same to help women, or that somehow Bono being a man doing this is more noble than a woman doing it.

you mean XY chromosome.
And I would have no problem if one day they if Janet Mock receives the prize.

But yeah, a man getting the prize feels ... weird to say THE LEAST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom