• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Summertime's here, and doing lots of activity outside (Running, swimming, canoeing, etc) has really fucked my hair up.

Must resist urge to chop it off

ZaCH3000

I need your help Men's Hair GAF! I want to get a haircut sometime this week, possibly tomorrow depending on some recommendations. I plan on going to a barber, however if someone posts a cool style that is better suited for a stylist then I'll go there. I've been getting a clean, professional, yet trendy look for the last two years now. The same cut essentially.

So I'm looking for something new with a short to medium length style. I live in a city with a lot of wind so nothing that requires obscene amounts of product or else it falls apart after walking outside.

Here are some images of my hair starting with a front shot:

002.jpg

Top shot:

003.jpg

From the back:

004.jpg

Rookje

I need your help Men's Hair GAF! I want to get a haircut sometime this week, possibly tomorrow depending on some recommendations. I plan on going to a barber, however if someone posts a cool style that is better suited for a stylist then I'll go there. I've been getting a clean, professional, yet trendy look for the last two years now. The same cut essentially.

So I'm looking for something new with a short to medium length style. I live in a city with a lot of wind so nothing that requires obscene amounts of product or else it falls apart after walking outside.

Top shot:

From the back:

The biggest thing you should do is comb your slightly backwards/upwards. You need some kind of height. Also seems like you have naturally wavy kind of hair. You should use this to your advantage. I would try something like this:

Seems like you don't have enough hair for the front yet, but trim the sides and back shorter than the front. Your stylist should also cut your hair at varying lengths. I can tell whoever cut your hair previously... its all the same length. While you have a lot of hair, you have slightly fine hair so you really need to scissor cut that shit to add bulk/volume.

Here's a specific question; Style it when its wet or dry?
Hard to say, depends on what kind of product he's using. It's probably styled slightly damp with some kind of wax if I had to guess.

What are some styles you like? Have you looked through this thread to find pictures of styles that you might like to emulate?

RayStorm

So apparently my biyearly visit to the hair dresser is coming up in 20 hours. Anyone have any idea (or better pictures since I'm a) not firm in the terminology and would have to translate) what might suit me best?

For the past few years, for some reason I can't quite understand myself, I have a slight infatuation with this cut.

Just out the shower. Would I suit an undercut guys? either that or i'm going long again. Or a hairstyle like some gaffers have i.e Luckyboyceo
Hard to say. I think you could probably pull it off. Of course, once you commit to it, there's no going back (for at least a few months).

If you're deciding between growing out your hair some more and getting an undercut, I'd continue to grow it out, cause you can always change your mind if you decide you don't like it. Once you get the undercut, you can't.

Boken

Banned
are you saying i can prevent my short hair from sticking out?! :O

so gaf

what haircut is good for a thin long face pointyish chin and an above average size forehead?

im so bored of bangs and medium sides

nNd0g05.jpg

its not summer but i wanna experiment

thing is my hair sticks out when its short

what do i do

and I think short pompadours are so rad. so trendy but professional

dont mind the scowl, my eyes were puffy from tiredness, i and i have to frown to make them not fold retardedly

cacophony

so is it really bad to shampoo daily? i hear that sometimes
i use shampoo/conditioner every day. If i go more than 1-2 days without shampoo my hair gets gross though

Johnas

so is it really bad to shampoo daily? i hear that sometimes
i use shampoo/conditioner every day. If i go more than 1-2 days without shampoo my hair gets gross though

I don't know that the shampooing is bad, just unnecessary, for some people anyway. I have now gone one full year without it, but I keep my hair short (1-1.5 inches long at the max, often shorter).

If I decide to grow it out sometime, my results may vary somewhat, but I don't need it at all anymore keeping my hair short. After that initial greasy phase, your hair will adjust.

I don't say this with any sense of elitism at all. I just thought I'd try it and see, and it worked. I also tried the no soap thing, but that one didn't work as well.

How do I deal with the so-called "awkward stage" of growing my hair longer? Specifically, my hair lies nice as normal on the right side of my head, but then curls up along the back of my neck and the left side. Should I straighten my hair, or is there a specific product I could use to add weight to my hair?

Rookje

How do I deal with the so-called "awkward stage" of growing my hair longer? Specifically, my hair lies nice as normal on the right side of my head, but then curls up along the back of my neck and the left side. Should I straighten my hair, or is there a specific product I could use to add weight to my hair?

David+Beckham+Winter+Hats+Knit+Beanie+N_RIli_Yjhtl.jpg

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh my hair decided to get all fucked up in the wind, and now I'm sitting at the office with my hair sticking out in all directions. This is not going to be a good day.

Rehynn

So I've started my shampoo-less experiment. One week down and my hair doesn't look too bad. More manageable and cleaner looking than I expected, and I don't think I've ever had so little frizz.

Have any of you guys ever tried this? I've been using a water-based pomade only, so it should wash out pretty well, but my hair still feels thicker and sticky after I wash it with water. Maybe it's the natural greasiness, maybe it's the pomade. Should I stop using any product until my hair gets used to the lack of shampoo, or does it make no difference at all?

EDIT: Thanks! I'll just keep doing what I've been doing then.

Switching from shampooing daily to once or twice a week was a total revelation for me. It felt weird at first, but honestly my hair has never looked better because of it. Way easier to style as well.

I tend to use product daily. Granted, as I get towards the end of the week, I probably use less product than I did at the beginning of the week. There are days I could certainly get away without using product at all but I prefer how wax/pomade looks most times.

Joe

this is essentially my haircut right now but i having styling problems. what type of product do i use to get it style like this?

I'm guessing mousse? I like how it has the properties of wet hair but it doesn't really look all that wet and still seems manageable, free, and moveable.

Damn, why did I wait till today to start blow drying my hair? I usually towel-dried but then I read that it damages your hair. Blow drying isn't by any means healthy for hair either, I know, but I think it looks pretty good today.

Pocks

So I've started my shampoo-less experiment. One week down and my hair doesn't look too bad. More manageable and cleaner looking than I expected, and I don't think I've ever had so little frizz.

Have any of you guys ever tried this? I've been using a water-based pomade only, so it should wash out pretty well, but my hair still feels thicker and sticky after I wash it with water. Maybe it's the natural greasiness, maybe it's the pomade. Should I stop using any product until my hair gets used to the lack of shampoo, or does it make no difference at all?

EDIT: Thanks! I'll just keep doing what I've been doing then.

I've only shampoo'd my hair once in the past 5 months.

I love it. Just rinse your hair and massage the scalp daily with water, preferably cold.

I've asked a few people to smell my hair at various points. One said it smelled good, two said it had no smell, and the fourth said it smelled a little sweaty — but not abnormally so. That one was after a day of sweaty activity, so small wonder there.

I use product every couple days. Just be sure to rinse and maybe use a fine tooth comb if it starts to feel gunked up. The time I shampoo'd was after a small period of laziness where I didn't rinse. When I did, I didn't do it thoroughly and I let it air dry. That was a mistake. It got really gunked up so I had to use some shampoo lol.

Rehynn

I've only shampoo'd my hair once in the past 5 months.

I love it. Just rinse your hair and massage the scalp daily with water, preferably cold.

I've asked a few people to smell my hair at various points. One said it smelled good, two said it had no smell, and the fourth said it smelled a little sweaty — but not abnormally so. That one was after a day of sweaty activity, so small wonder there.

I use product every couple days. Just be sure to rinse and maybe use a fine tooth comb if it starts to feel gunked up. The time I shampoo'd was after a small period of laziness where I didn't rinse. When I did, I didn't do it thoroughly and I let it air dry. That was a mistake. It got really gunked up so I had to use some shampoo lol.

Thanks, man, that's really encouraging. Right now I rinse my hair using cold water every other day or so. I can go 2-3 days this way between washes, and I'm hoping this will help my hair and scalp get used to not getting any shampoo quicker.

I also tried not blowing my hair completely dry today. Normally this way it would end up super-wavy and unmanageable, but thanks to whatever gets left in my hair due to not using shampoo, I could slick it back into a nice, softy, only slightly wavy pomp. So far so good.

I'm not worried about the smell, I use some good-smelling, natural conditioner every now and then, plus the water-based Sweet Georgia Brown pomade smells awesome. I also have some Suavecito Firme Hold and Layrite Super Hold headed my way thanks to a friend. Can't wait to try them!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
His hair looks pretty damn healthy and hes a known non-shampoo user.

Fine, but what's the benefit of not shampooing? My hair also looks good and I shampoo, so I'm trying to figure if there is a specific proven benefit to not shampooing or if it's just a fad like those Vibram five-toed shoes which everyone was freaking out for a few years ago.

Kozak

Banned
I think theres really no benefits/negatives either way..

Shampooing just gets rid of your hairs natural oils and I guess makes your hair drier?

I shampoo anyway. My hair can look gross when its got enough natural oils going on, especially after resting my head on something for a while.

You can always use conditioner if you like oily hair really.

LuffyZoro

When I use shampoo, my hair gets really limp. If I don't use it, my hair eventually becomes too greasy. So, I shampoo about 2-3 times a week.

Pocks

Fine, but what's the benefit of not shampooing? My hair also looks good and I shampoo, so I'm trying to figure if there is a specific proven benefit to not shampooing or if it's just a fad like those Vibram five-toed shoes which everyone was freaking out for a few years ago.

I don't think there's been any scientific studies or anything. I mostly do it out of laziness. The nice look with little effort is just a bonus haha.

Here's a picture from March, when I was about 2 months into the experiment. It's a crappy webcam pic, but whatevs.

Rehynn

So what exactly are the benefits of not shampooing your hair? Does shampooing your hair ruin it or something?

It might not work for everyone but the theory is that the natural oils that the shampoo gets rid of can make your hair stronger, thicker, shinier, and less frizzy.

I haven't been at it for long enough to decide whether it's something that really works in the long run, but I can already see that it does help me with frizz and makes my hair easier to style. Keep in mind that I have very dry and coarse hair, so not using shampoo might have more apparent benefits for me than someone whose hair is awesome by dafault.

Judging by the pics above, it really seems to work for Pocks and Rob Pattinson.

Top Bottom