• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Rehynn

Girlfriend is bringing over a flat iron tonight. Hopefully I can tame these cowlicks and curls on the end. Damn thick-ass wavy hair.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Carrying a flat iron everywhere is a pain though, so be prepared to pay the price should you like what you see too much.

is that just the sides combed back and the top left to kinda "float" on top?

Sides are shorter than the top but in a natural way rather than any hard/clean taper/fade. Top is left long and then you can style it however you want. There's also no parting but rather a blend so it looks loose and messy rather than clean cut. Finally because the sides and back are cut that way you can blend the longer top in while styling in any direction without having any major contrast.

Jzero

I asked this a couple of months ago but i can't remember what you guys said so i'll ask again. What's a good inexpensive (less than $20) product that works the best for extremely thick hair? Preferably one that smells good. Is it wax, pomade, etc?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I asked this a couple of months ago but i can't remember what you guys said so i'll ask again. What's a good inexpensive (less than $20) product that works the best for extremely thick hair? Preferably one that smells good.

What are you trying to do with your thick hair? Make it stick up, or lay messy?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Yea short on sides and messyish on top. I just want it to stop looking dry. Don't want it looking too wet either.

Price range is important too. I tend to favor American Crew stuff just because it is affordable and does what I want. This is a good video for a kind of "up" style that doesn't look too dry. Link

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I just bought the American Crew Pomade on Amazon, hopefully i don't get one of the counterfeit versions :p

Remember that if your hair is too long, AM Pomade tends to mat it down more. His in that video is at just the length where it won't mat down, but is not too short.

If you receive the stuff and it doesn't hold your hair up well, consider getting something from Redken like their rough paste, or some American Crew forming cream.

ILoveBish

I went to Baxter Finley a few months ago, and the results were amazing. I'm a bit camera shy, but i want to thank everyone in this thread for recommending them, they did beard/hair and it turned out amazing.

LuffyZoro

Alright, it's about time for me to have a haircut again, and I wondered if the people here had any suggestions. My hair is fairly thin and about 5-6 inches long at the front. This is how I've been styling it using some Live Wire Cream stuff.

P5dQj8p.png

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Alright, it's about time for me to have a haircut again, and I wondered if the people here had any suggestions. My hair is fairly thin and about 5-6 inches long at the front. This is how I've been styling it using some Live Wire Cream stuff.

P5dQj8p.png
I would go even tighter on the sides and a bit shorter on top. Then style it a bit more up.

LuffyZoro

I would go even tighter on the sides and a bit shorter on top. Then style it a bit more up.

Oh, and I have bad cowlicks in the back unless the hair is long (~2+ in) or pretty short. Should I keep it long or go close?

Edit: Nvm, went and got it cut. I have to go to Great Clips because it's the only place in my area, but I feel they still did a pretty decent job.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Post pics. I was gonna say a bit shorter might be cool.

I'm going to use AM pomade for a while. I can't get over how good it smells, despite its lack of hold. A short cut might help me out.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
This is a good video for a kind of "up" style that doesn't look too dry. Link

drives me nuts that my hair is every bit as thick, although not as long, but I've never once been able to get it looking nearly as good. This guy is all "oh nbd, lol" *tossle* *effortless perfect hair* and every morning I'm standing there for 20 minutes trying to get something I'm happy with.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
drives me nuts that my hair is every bit as thick, although not as long, but I've never once been able to get it looking nearly as good. This guy is all "oh nbd, lol" *tossle* *effortless perfect hair* and every morning I'm standing there for 20 minutes trying to get something I'm happy with.

I think he was just lucky that his random finger motions produced that. On a good day I can get something like that, but otherwise yeah it takes quite a bit longer.

I just bought it off their site. Not sure if the code works but DATV gave me 15% off. They also send a sample of one of their other products to try.

How long did it take for them to ship your order? I placed mine on Monday and have already been charged, but my order status still says it hasn't been shipped yet.

Rehynn

This is still my favorite haircut video that's ever been posted here. I wish I could find a way to get my old barber to cut mine exactly like it.

I actually think your recent cut looks better.

On another note, the no shampoo experiment is going smoother than I expected. In a little over a month, I've only used shampoo twice (once at the barber and once when I had to flat iron my hair), and I definitely see an improvement. I still feel that my hair is a bit dry, but I guess that's just the way it is. At least it's more manageable now.

I took these pictures this morning, after washing my hair (after 5 days) with nothing but water and some conditioner and then blowdrying it. It looks a bit messy, but I didn't use any product for the pics, just wanted to show how it naturally looks.

wp_20130701_0242013070zs6a.jpg

wp_20130701_026201307dxstt.jpg

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I actually think your recent cut looks better.

On another note, the no shampoo experiment is going smoother than I expected. In a little over a month, I've only used shampoo twice (once at the barber and once when I had to flat iron my hair), and I definitely see an improvement. I still feel that my hair is a bit dry, but I guess that's just the way it is. At least it's more manageable now.

I took these pictures this morning, after washing my hair (after 5 days) with nothing but water and some conditioner and then blowdrying it. It looks a bit messy, but I didn't use any product for the pics, just wanted to show how it naturally looks.

Your hair looks great man, looks like the no shampooing thing is working out nicely for you.

Think I'm gonna get another haircut from Alfonso soon...

Just don't know what I want. The pomp took a little too much work and wind kinda just messed it up...

Suggestions?

Going back through this thread for some ideas and maaaan I was pale.
Hopefully all goes well tonight, been 5 weeks since I got it cut and its out of control!

For anyone looking to buy any Hanz de Fuko stuff, they have a July 4th sale going on where you buy 2 products and they give you the Sponge Wax + samples for free when you use the code "HANZ". Sucks that I ordered the sponge wax last week -_-

Alright, I need some help. I've never really liked my hair, but its only been getting worse. My hairline blows and I'm starting to thin/lose some, especially along the sides/temple region.

I have thick, curly hair and feel like I can't do anything with it. Is there anyway I can make it look decent?

This is how I normally have it. I usually don't do much to my hair. Just kinda put it down. Low maintenance.
QB8RqD0.jpg

This is just to get an idea of what the hairline is.
V3W4Yai.jpg

You might not like what i am about to say but... i think you'd look better if you just shave it off, you have good facial features and i think you can pull it off.

kaskade

I'm running out of hair product. Now to decide what I should try next. Anyone have anything they've been liking?

That's...a good idea

I want to see a pic when it's done though!

You're lucky you can get a cut by him. I'd love to get one. Seems like a genuinely cool dude as well.

Rehynn

Your hair looks great man, looks like the no shampooing thing is working out nicely for you.

This is amazing.

Thanks, guys!

I'm running out of hair product. Now to decide what I should try next. Anyone have anything they've been liking?

I want to see a pic when it's done though!

You're lucky you can get a cut by him. I'd love to get one. Seems like a genuinely cool dude as well.

Yeah, we will definitely need pics!

Regarding your question, I've been experimenting a bit with pomades, and here's what I've found:

Layrite Super Hold: Very nice vanilla-ish smell, pretty easy to work with, zero shine, good hold, doesn't really harden (in dry hair), can be recombed and washed out easily.

Suavecito Firme Hold: Great cologne-like smell (definitely more masculine than Layrite), a bit trickier to work with, but gives you a bit more shine and quite a bit more hold than the Layrite SH, hardens a bit but can still be recombed.
My favorite product at the moment, went out the other day with a small amount in my hair, and my hair stayed in style all night, without feeling stiff. Maintained a nice hold and a natural look even the next day.

American Crew Pomade: Extremely easy to work with, feels very light, not a lot of hold but gives your hair a very nice smooth texture with some shine. The smell is nothing special. Think Mad Men - that is if you have soft, straight hair.

Sweet Georgia Brown (Purple): Nice grape smell, easy to work with, looks and feels greasier than the above three, about the same shine as the Suavecito (maybe a bit stronger), not a lot of hold, but gives your hair a nice texture. It's for those days when your hair looks good as it is and you just want to add a little spice.

Sweet Georgia Brown (Blue): Speaking of spice... the smell is a weird spicy vanilla scent that I personally like, but I can see some people not digging it as much. This is the only petroleum-based pomade I have. As such, it can be very frustrating to wash out, but has better shine and maybe a bit stronger hold than even the Suavecito. However, it's a different kind of hold, as it makes your hair heavier and more greasy/gunky than the water-based stuff. It tames curls and waves, but moisture (e.g. at a rock show) can destroy the effect, so I only use it for touching up problematic parts and dealing with stray hairs.

I too use the Baxter Clay. I rotate between that and Bumble & Bumble Sumowax when I want more shine.

So do you guys recommend putting like a matte clay in your hair and then blow drying it, or blow drying it before putting the clay in?
I typically blowdry my hair prior to putting the clay in. I think either method works just fine though.

Top Bottom