• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Next time I'm in LA I'm going to make the trip over to Baxter Finley and get a cut by Alfonso. I tried last time but our schedules didn't line up. I've always wanted to visit that place.

Rookje

Just started using this:

41Y9fZj1PTL.jpg

It has similar qualities to B&B Prep/Tonic, but a bit heavier. Almost like Emu Oil but not as greasy. So far I like it, makes my hair less dry and frizzy.

Lkr

i don't know what to do with my hair, gaf! i let it grow out quite a bit over the past two months, and it is way too fucking long and doesn't do anything now due to thickness. is a short side part a safe look for anyone or do i have to worry? i want something slick and easy to maintain, don't want to deal with a straightener or anything

i like cosmic's cut on the previous page but i'm not sure if i could make that work. i'm self conscious as fuck so yeah lol

Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm still in my teens and recently decided that it was a better idea to get a more suitable haircut. So, if any of you have any suggestions please don't hesitate to offer them. Also, if you have reference images that's even better because I can take them in to my dresser who specializes when using references. Firstly, my current (shite) haircut:

Careful, its big.
Ha.

As Boken said in the fashion thread, I think a rockabilly or pompadour style would work well with your hair.
I'll try styling it like a pompadour tomorrow to see how it looks. The only problem is that I have EXTREMELY curly and thick hair. I have two choices, either get it chemically straightened, be happy and have damaged hair or deal with it which I don't really want to do. My hair is really healthy, I know that much.

Rehynn

I'll try styling it like a pompadour tomorrow to see how it looks. The only problem is that I have EXTREMELY curly and thick hair. I have two choices, either get it chemically straightened, be happy and have damaged hair or deal with it which I don't really want to do. My hair is really healthy, I know that much.

Or you can do what this guy does to his similarly curly
(and British)
hair.

Goooo onnnn
I need a new hair product and Im trying to hold off on getting some of the pomade that smells like cola bottles, as you can tell the name has totally escaped me.

Suavecito. Better than Layrite IMHO.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
To be honest, you might be just as happy with Suavecito.
All I can say is that I personally had a better experience with Layrite. This is in terms of the strong holds by both brands though. I just found that Layrite strong feels less like a gel, has a bit less of a grease look, holds better and smells way better. Remember that if you don't want to pay 15 bucks, you can get the 1 ounce for like 6 bucks.

To be honest, you might be just as happy with Suavecito.
All I can say is that I personally had a better experience with Layrite. This is in terms of the strong holds by both brands though. I just found that Layrite strong feels less like a gel, has a bit less of a grease look, holds better and smells way better. Remember that if you don't want to pay 15 bucks, you can get the 1 ounce for like 6 bucks.

Im in the Uk, so from what I found I can get Layrite in both forms for abour £12 which is roughly what it costs to import suavecito.
I had the Firm type and found it too firm (lol) maybe Ill give the regular Layrite a shot.
If anyone happens to have both.. if they wouldnt mind doing their hair, snapping a pic then doing it again with the Firm of either types that would be pretty handy.

Just didnt like how it would dry and turn rigid as it reminded me of cheap gel I used to use as a kid.

overcast

Pompadour would be good on you man. I think you can do well with curls, don't chemically straighten it. With the right product you can make most hair styles work I believe.

Sometimes I get scared my hair is too one note. At least I've cornered myself into parting it the same way. It looks good, but I like to try and switch it up. Going to try to do that more often in the coming months.

Keldor

I've had pretty much the same haircut for the last 10 years. I would like to change it up but have no idea what would work for me. I'm half Vietnamese so I've got thick Asian hair that grows straight out on the sides and grows forward on the top. I like the look of the various undercuts but don't know if my hair can pull them off. If I comb it backwards it wants to stick straight up. This is what it looks like without any product in it. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I've had pretty much the same haircut for the last 10 years. I would like to change it up but have no idea what would work for me. I'm half Vietnamese so I've got thick Asian hair that grows straight out on the sides and grows forward on the top. I like the look of the various undercuts but don't know if my hair can pull them off. If I comb it backwards it wants to stick straight up. This is what it looks like without any product in it. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
0Y0ISqyl.jpg
UkV0cCml.jpg

I have the exact hair. You need some real length to get it to kinda go back. I decided to give up and go very short on the sides and short up top.

Joe

That's exactly what Got2b Moulding Gum (after pre-styling with a blowdryer) does to my hair.

hey thanks for the tip! i researched a little and i dont think that product is available in the US unfortunately....

i went to walgreens and got this on sale for $3
rJt03V3.jpg

so far, it actually seems really, really good.

im going to buy a blow dryer soon and see what does for my hair as far as styling goes. ive been styling my hair with product for about 20 years now but have never incorporated a blow dryer.

Anyone got some links to some Mens hair tumblrs? I swear i had a couple bookmarked..

Need to check if theres anything that grabs me before I get my usual today. Also ordered some regular layrite, hopefully its ok.
Ive not actually being using product and washing it with just water and its not too bad! rough around the edges as its grown out but thats about it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really, really loving the American Crew Pomade. Works perfectly for my hair and I no longer need to use a blowdryer when styling my hair. I even have a pack I keep in my gym bag which I use on my workout days, since I go to the gym before work. Two little dabs through my hair and a little comb action and I'm looking spiffy in no time.

This is great because I have spent many years trying to find the perfect product for my hair, which is generally quite rough and unruly. I don't think AC Pomade is the perfect product for my hair, but it's pretty good.

Lamel

Banned
I have tried murray's pomade for about a year now, and although it holds really well, it is very greasy/dense, and difficult to wash out. Any other "lighter" pomades that give the hair a lighter/natural look?

Secondly, I wash my hair every day, because if I don't my hair looks like ass when I wake up, just all over the place and cowlicks galore, that won't change unless I wash it. But I have heard washing it every day is bad. How can I fix this?

My hair is medium length, and I have a taper cut and I do a classic style parted (can part both ways).

Got out of the shower and could not style my hair worth a damn. It's pretty long now, an off-center part with my side bangs now dangling in my face if I lean forward even a little bit, so I'm constantly brushing them out of the way. They're not quite long enough to tie back or even tuck behind my ears though, so it's kinda driving me crazy. I was formerly using American Crew forming cream on the recommendation of a co-worker, but it didn't seem to be doing anything for me, just made me feel like I had really greasy hair.

Any recommendations for a product that can hold long, thick and wavy hair in place?

Kozak

Banned
Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm still in my teens and recently decided that it was a better idea to get a more suitable haircut. So, if any of you have any suggestions please don't hesitate to offer them. Also, if you have reference images that's even better because I can take them in to my dresser who specializes when using references. Firstly, my current (shite) haircut:

Careful, its big.
Ha.

Your hair is already pretty damn awesome bro. You are a lucky man :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Got out of the shower and could not style my hair worth a damn. It's pretty long now, an off-center part with my side bangs now dangling in my face if I lean forward even a little bit, so I'm constantly brushing them out of the way. They're not quite long enough to tie back or even tuck behind my ears though, so it's kinda driving me crazy. I was formerly using American Crew forming cream on the recommendation of a co-worker, but it didn't seem to be doing anything for me, just made me feel like I had really greasy hair.

Any recommendations for a product that can hold long, thick and wavy hair in place?

Do you dry your hair before applying product? I generally don't dry my hair completely, but rather leave it very slightly damp and then apply product. I find it holds better that way.

I ended getting a different haircut today, shaved on the sides and back, but kept some hair on the top

tumblr_mqe8x9d4Wo1r96br0o1_500.jpg

Honestly can't say I'm a fan of that cut, it looks like a hat on your head (see the top left forehead). It might just be a bad angle or maybe the shape of your head just isn't fit for it, but I would probably get the top shortened a bit. But who am I to tell, I always come away from the hairdresser looking like a moron :)

Do you dry your hair before applying product? I generally don't dry my hair completely, but rather leave it very slightly damp and then apply product. I find it holds better that way.

That might be why. My routine generally consists of towel drying, going to get dressed, then heading back to the bathroom to apply any protectant/styling product I deem necessary, during which time the hair is still noticeably damp. I'll have to wake up earlier than usual one day soon and experiment.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That might be why. My routine generally consists of towel drying, going to get dressed, then heading back to the bathroom to apply any protectant/styling product I deem necessary, during which time the hair is still noticeably damp. I'll have to wake up earlier than usual one day soon and experiment.

You might also want to try using a blowdryer on your hair after you've applied the product, as that keeps the hair in place.

LuffyZoro

jake-gyllenhaal-cover.jpg

It may seem like a simple cut and it's the sort of thing I ask for everytime I go, but they never cut my sides short enough and it bugs the hell out of me, I pay £30 so it's a decent place and they're capable, I have it scissor cut, should I be having my sides/back shaved (trying to work out if that's what jake has had done in that pic)

Just going through the thread some, and this is basically the cut I want, and the problem I have (sides not being cut short).

Unfortunately, my hair also works like this:
Be careful! Not everyone can pull off this style. If your hair is straight and the type that'd stick straight up like a broom when it's that short, you'd look like a hedgehog instead. My hair is like that and I HATE it. I can't cut it too short because I'd look ridiculous. But if it's long, it's also hard to style. ;_;

Pocks

Luffy, my hair is the same way. It looks like garbage when it's between 1/2" and 1" long on the top and high sides. For most of my life I just kept it between 1/8" and 1/4" all around.

I tend it to keep it a bit longer these days.

SI9vA4Nm.jpg

Lkr

i went with a side part look today. i like it, but i have some bad hair in general, i'll probably post a pic later though to get some feedback. i didn't get a good cut at a good salon, went with something cheap as this is just my in between trim.
btw what site do you guys recommend for product?

SaintR

So my friend's been lurking this thread and after going through all 49pgs and not finding any answers he had me ask. His hair is dry, frizzy, and curly. It's usually cut low with a #2/3 clipper (Dominican barber tape-up) but he has a wedding coming up in a month so he decided to let it grow a bit and maybe try something different.

He made an appt to see a barber over at Tommy Gun's Salon in NYC this friday but is looking for any ideas beforehand. Care to help out a guy for his wedding day? Im one of his groomsmen btw.

3JvC4eu.jpg

G5YLxn4.jpg

Got that layrite the other day, its pretty nice! Smells pretty good aswell.
Not sure it was worth the £15 It cost me but it should last a fair while, atleast until vanilla starts to repulse me. Then I may pick up some more suavectio.

Top Bottom