• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mental Health |OT| Depression & Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have no reason to live unless im drinking. drinking controls my adhd, it subdues my bipolar stages and yet it's going to kill me. i can't deal with being a diabetic with adhd and bipolar. i just can't deal with all these things. and i don't even help people in this thread, well fuck.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Fish, stay strong and do not give up!

Another tough night is behind me. My mind doesn't want me to rest, I couldn't fall asleep until 3:30 am, constantly bombarded with images of past events (broken relationships, lost friends, deaths in family...) and thoughts of how I managed to screw my life in last few years.

It is nice and sunny day outside, I have some work to do on our garden, but I am simply too tired..

hunchback

Has anyone here every used Gabapentin for depression/anxiety? My doc gave it to me as a supplement to the Zoloft but I can't tell if it's really doing anything. Any other experiences here with it?

Maybe try going to a library? It's going out somewhere, but somewhere hopefully quiet without too many people around. You can just pick up a book/comic/manga and start reading. Experience something new!

I take 1200mg of Gabapentin a day for nerve pain. I do notice that it relaxes me a bit. Sometimes I will even get a little sleepy. How much and how often do you take it? I have a therapy session on Saturday and will ask about it. Now I'm curious because it was given to me for pain.

I was too lazy to go up to my room and get another box of 30mg Cymbalta free trials, so for the last couple of days I took two 60mg pills. I need to not do that today, though.

Still feeling like shit.

Izuna

Banned
I don't know why, but my depression kicked in this week and I'm without anyone now. I pushed everyone away like I always do.

But I'm so happy. I checked online and starvation really is the way to go for me.

Everyone will be better without me. Thank you GAF. You helped me get the courage to be myself a little towards the end.

It will be a slow process, it should take a few days for the water depravation to kick in.

I spent every penny I had and borrowed more to see her, but, her parents didn't want me to be there. She is a star for putting up with my other personalities. I did some stupid things. Maybe therapy would have worked but out was so embarrassing. She helped me, calmed me down when it got bad.

I know going will hurt my Mother, my brothers and her, but I don't like it.

I always wanted to call anywhere a home, but I kept moving. The most recognizable ceiling was the one in my girlfriends parents house. In my mind it was home, but it couldn't be.

I knew I weren't the best, I made mistakes. I know that it could never be home for me, but it was the only place I truly felt comfortable. They don't deserve that, it's not their problem.

My student loan will come in, the final amounts. I started my starvation today but if it comes in on time, I'll give it all to her. I know she will return most of it to my family. I just don't want them knowing before it is final.

My family knowing I suffered from DID since I was a child wouldn't be good news. At least, I think that's what it is.

If I could say anything to people, it would be thanks. I know the world is full of issues but, I was able to enjoy the world of fiction. I dreamt of sharing some of my own but I guess I suck at writing.

I don't feel insane now but, I have hurt those I loved the most and there is no excusing that. This is the only way.

I can't disappoint everyone anymore.

I don't know why, but my depression kicked in this week and I'm without anyone now. I pushed everyone away like I always do.

But I'm so happy. I checked online and starvation really is the way to go for me.

Everyone will be better without me. Thank you GAF. You helped me get the courage to be myself a little towards the end.

It will be a slow process, it should take a few days for the water depravation to kick in.

I spent every penny I had and borrowed more to see her, but, her parents didn't want me to be there. She is a star for putting up with my other personalities. I did some stupid things. Maybe therapy would have worked but out was so embarrassing. She helped me, calmed me down when it got bad.

I always wanted to call anywhere a home, but I kept moving. The most recognizable ceiling was the one in my girlfriends parents house. In my mind it was home, but it couldn't be.

I knew I weren't the best, I made mistakes. I know that it could never be home for me, but it was the only place I truly felt comfortable. They don't deserve that, it's not their problem.

My student loan will come in, the final amounts. I started my starvation today but if it comes in on time, I'll give it all to her. I know she will return most of it to my family. I just don't want them knowing before it is final.

My family knowing I suffered from DID since I was a child wouldn't be good news. At least, I think that's what it is.

If I could say anything to people, it would be thanks. I know the world is full of issues but, I was able to enjoy the world of fiction. I dreamt of sharing some of my own but I guess I suck at writing.

I don't feel insane now but, I have hurt those I loved the most and there is no excusing that. This is the only way.

Don't do this to yourself. Seek help. Talk to someone.

I haven't spoken to anyone in days. I was buying food before, and I realised I hadn't spoken a single word since saturday.

I feel like a ghost. Things would only improve with my lack of being in the world. Nobody notices me, its neither here nor there is it.

i have no reason to live unless im drinking. drinking controls my adhd, it subdues my bipolar stages and yet it's going to kill me. i can't deal with being a diabetic with adhd and bipolar. i just can't deal with all these things. and i don't even help people in this thread, well fuck.
this thread is a place to vent so don't worry.
as for the drinking: I know it can ease things but it's always temporary. and afterwards you probably feel worse than before so not trying to sound judgemental but it's really no solution for your problems. have you tried seeking professional help concerning the alcohol? you could battle your problems in a more productive way trust me!

I haven't spoken to anyone in days. I was buying food before, and I realised I hadn't spoken a single word since saturday.

I feel like a ghost. Things would only improve with my lack of being in the world. Nobody notices me, its neither here nor there is it.

you're not a ghost. but maybe you're hiding/avoiding people on purpose? don't be afraid to reach out to someone. I'm sure it won't go unnoticed.

this thread is a place to vent so don't worry.
as for the drinking: I know it can ease things but it's always temporary. and afterwards you probably feel worse than before so not trying to sound judgemental but it's really no solution for your problems. have you tried seeking professional help concerning the alcohol? you could battle your problems in a more productive way trust me!

you're not a ghost. but maybe you're hiding/avoiding people on purpose? don't be afraid to reach out to someone. I'm sure it won't go unnoticed.

No not really. I live in a house with people. I work in retail.

DroidDev

Neo Member

Try to get involved with a group of people doing something: volunteering, religious organizations, meetup.com for hobbies. Whatever sparks your interest or gives you meaning.

Colin.

I've been quite the recluse for a while now, so I know how that is. At times, I can go weeks without speaking to anyone outside my immediate family, who I also wish knew when to just back off and leave me alone. Even when I was doing more things, there was such little in the way of positive interactions going on. Usual two outcomes were little to no notice, or unwarranted negative attention coming my way. Such is life.

But for all that it's worth, I see you. You aren't invisible, and you certainly aren't the only one facing these challenges.

Walking outside or just moving when able, just going somewhere and listening to podcasts has helped me too... but now I too have started worrying what I might do. Trying really hard not to let my mind go to suicide, but even just today I think how easy it would be to throw my head under a tire or a train or whatever. Getting harder and harder to keep myself going there

I'm the same way. I go for long walks almost daily, and pretty much the only thing I think of the entire time is death. A car drives by? I imagine it suddenly swerving onto the sidewalk and killing me. I envision getting stabbed/shot and left to bleed to death. Today a strong gust of wind caused a telephone cable to shake violently, and the first thing that came to mind was the image of it suddenly snapping in half and electrocuting me to death final destination style. The sad thing is I don't think I'm even afraid of any of these scenarios, I actually want them to happen. I think the only thing stopping me at this point is my life insurance policy, but it will be difficult to justify living 2 years from now when the suicide clause no longer applies.

Palpable

Been over 4 months now. Still feel I have days where I don't think I'll make it to the next. Still missing my ex (whom hates me, is with another guy). Been trying to talk to other women, date, etc. None of them stand a chance, regardless of how pretty, smart they are. I just can't get my ex off my mind. I still hope she will talk to me again one day. I really thought I'd feel better by now...

Izun,

Disappointment is arbitrary. Disappointment comes from expectations. Life was never about beating the expectations. It is just about moving forward, regardless if we meet them or not.
My favorite stories are the ones where somebody fucks their life up, and then get their shit back together again. Those types of stories where people rise to the occasion of their own personal hell. So ingrained in that person, that nobody else can understand. I am not a therapist, but I think the greatest trick the mind has ever pulled is engulfing people in shame. One of the deepest, if not the deepest cause of all bad feelings related to depression.
The facts are not in, the chips are not accounted for. Right now you have the short hand, but the only thing that is for certain about luck, is that it will change. We can only play captain hindsight. Sometimes, the worst things that happens to us, ends up being blessings in disguise because it builds our direction and changes us, that makes us live much better. But we can't see forward, so when we feel that our world is about to end, we act and think in absolution. - Like there is no other way, because that is the way it has been and that is the way it is now. But that's not how the equations of life work.
I don't have the answer to your problems- I don't think anybody does, but what I know for certain, is that this struggle you're going through, is one you need to have. Exercise it. Then accept it. Think on it. Not on yourself, but on things in the greater scheme. You will see that your mind plays tricks on you. Your girls parents don't hold the keys to your happiness. Nobody has power over you. Your mind tells you it is so, because you are attached. And attachment hurts all of us. But hurting is part of the game, and while time won't heal all wounds, it will numb many.

Your a speck of stardust drifting for a brief moment on a rock floating 900 miles an hour through the universe. Sometimes when I get caught up in my own misery I think about the grandness of everything, and then I realize that my troubles are not as significant as I make them out to be. I am only a person, you are only a person, and everything is a brief moment. It is terrifying and amazing.
This might just be ludicrous and nonsense to you, but to me, looking at the frame instead of my reflection has been a major help. The mind wants to make everything about our own ego. Our troubles, our pain, our suffering.
We are almost programmed to be unhappy if we don't get our favorite things. We won't even settle on our second favorite things. Too often we are soo hung up on the things we don't have in the moment, we don't think a lot about what we can gain eventually, down the road. Different things, different companions we cannot even perceive as of this moment. because they don't exist in our mind, or even our fantasy.

Ganbare!

Izuna

Banned
Izun,

Disappointment is arbitrary. Disappointment comes from expectations. Life was never about beating the expectations. It is just about moving forward, regardless if we meet them or not.
My favorite stories are the ones where somebody fucks their life up, and then get their shit back together again. Those types of stories where people rise to the occasion of their own personal hell. So ingrained in that person, that nobody else can understand. I am not a therapist, but I think the greatest trick the mind has ever pulled is engulfing people in shame. One of the deepest, if not the deepest cause of all bad feelings related to depression.
The facts are not in, the chips are not accounted for. Right now you have the short hand, but the only thing that is for certain about luck, is that it will change. We can only play captain hindsight. Sometimes, the worst things that happens to us, ends up being blessings in disguise because it builds our direction and changes us, that makes us live much better. But we can't see forward, so when we feel that our world is about to end, we act and think in absolution. - Like there is no other way, because that is the way it has been and that is the way it is now. But that's not how the equations of life work.
I don't have the answer to your problems- I don't think anybody does, but what I know for certain, is that this struggle you're going through, is one you need to have. Exercise it. Then accept it. Think on it. Not on yourself, but on things in the greater scheme. You will see that your mind plays tricks on you. Your girls parents don't hold the keys to your happiness. Nobody has power over you. Your mind tells you it is so, because you are attached. And attachment hurts all of us. But hurting is part of the game, and while time won't heal all wounds, it will numb many.

Your a speck of stardust drifting for a brief moment on a rock floating 900 miles an hour through the universe. Sometimes when I get caught up in my own misery I think about the grandness of everything, and then I realize that my troubles are not as significant as I make them out to be. I am only a person, you are only a person, and everything is a brief moment. It is terrifying and amazing.
This might just be ludicrous and nonsense to you, but to me, looking at the frame instead of my reflection has been a major help. The mind wants to make everything about our own ego. Our troubles, our pain, our suffering.
We are almost programmed to be unhappy if we don't get our favorite things. We won't even settle on our second favorite things. Too often we are soo hung up on the things we don't have in the moment, we don't think a lot about what we can gain eventually, down the road. Different things, different companions we cannot even perceive as of this moment. because they don't exist in our mind, or even our fantasy.

Ganbare!

Thank you.

What hurts the most, is that the night before she cried because she wanted her parents to not hate her own depression. I haven't eaten, or drank, and I spent ages and fully accepted that just 2 more days I get past the hunger/dehydration hurdle.

This is something I need, but I don't think it is to do with suicide. It feels right to finally be in control of something, to refuse to sleep where they put me, to refuse to eat what they decide. I didn't come here for those things, I came here for compassion and love. Which means barely anything to her parents, and she was agreeing with me, which is why I tried to save her from it.

But I have seen first hand how much I disagree. It's not a case of them being wrong, to them depression is "acting like a baby". The only thing they lose, and never had, is happiness for their daughter, who's entire happiness rides on a dying dog, the only creature she can talk to.

I don't need to expect anything out of her, the same way no one needs to expect anything out of me. I couldn't break up for the longest time because I held onto the bit of string that was labelled "she isn't happy".

You can't teach someone to be grateful for something in the past. And moving forward, I don't want to be thinking in my mind the one day I can show them, because it won't be with any of their help.

The worst part, is that this whole situation happened because of a lie. It was all based on where I was supposed to be. I was nearly with someone else, but she pleaded for me to care once more.

For the rest of the world, not caring what anyone thinks is easy. In my mind, I want to reject ever seeing them again because I don't approve. As of this moment I still care about whether or not they think negatively towards that decision, but even though I don't hate them, I don't have to be a slave to their expectations.

So I am glad. I can do what my exGF cannot do, escape her parents and not give a shit. I will not be there for her birthday when she refused to be there for my tears, just because her parents said so.

So thank you. Before I read this, I was in a conversation to try and revert everything, but that kind of story when people bounce back, that is something I would like to experience. I can't expect people who were born rich to ever understand the love behind barely eating just to see someone because it is the only way.

People never owed me compassion, but I never owed them respect.

Link0080

Only about 15 min until my birthday is over no one has sai "happy birthday" to me. Just chill in at the bar... Alone, oh well.

Switched from paroxetine to fluoxetine, so far its made me less fatigued all day but that's about it.

@ Happy birthday Link! :D

Thank you.

What hurts the most, is that the night before she cried because she wanted her parents to not hate her own depression. I haven't eaten, or drank, and I spent ages and fully accepted that just 2 more days I get past the hunger/dehydration hurdle.

This is something I need, but I don't think it is to do with suicide. It feels right to finally be in control of something, to refuse to sleep where they put me, to refuse to eat what they decide. I didn't come here for those things, I came here for compassion and love. Which means barely anything to her parents, and she was agreeing with me, which is why I tried to save her from it.

But I have seen first hand how much I disagree. It's not a case of them being wrong, to them depression is "acting like a baby". The only thing they lose, and never had, is happiness for their daughter, who's entire happiness rides on a dying dog, the only creature she can talk to.

I don't need to expect anything out of her, the same way no one needs to expect anything out of me. I couldn't break up for the longest time because I held onto the bit of string that was labelled "she isn't happy".

You can't teach someone to be grateful for something in the past. And moving forward, I don't want to be thinking in my mind the one day I can show them, because it won't be with any of their help.

The worst part, is that this whole situation happened because of a lie. It was all based on where I was supposed to be. I was nearly with someone else, but she pleaded for me to care once more.

For the rest of the world, not caring what anyone thinks is easy. In my mind, I want to reject ever seeing them again because I don't approve. As of this moment I still care about whether or not they think negatively towards that decision, but even though I don't hate them, I don't have to be a slave to their expectations.

So I am glad. I can do what my exGF cannot do, escape her parents and not give a shit. I will not be there for her birthday when she refused to be there for my tears, just because her parents said so.

So thank you. Before I read this, I was in a conversation to try and revert everything, but that kind of story when people bounce back, that is something I would like to experience. I can't expect people who were born rich to ever understand the love behind barely eating just to see someone because it is the only way.

People never owed me compassion, but I never owed them respect.

Her parents don't sound like nice people.
It's admirable you want to save her, but you need to help yourself first! We all want to be like the professor (power puff girls)! But it's a massive sign of strength that you care so much for this other person. There is a lot of good in that. A lot of power.

Rainy

Banned
Only about 15 min until my birthday is over no one has sai "happy birthday" to me. Just chill in at the bar... Alone, oh well.

Switched from paroxetine to fluoxetine, so far its made me less fatigued all day but that's about it.

I'm sorry I missed it but Happy Birthday Link <3

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

Happy birthday. The less you drink on antidepressants the better.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
slightly better, but still a mess

Just Another Day on Earth

Fish, it will take some time, but do not give up.

Been over 4 months now. Still feel I have days where I don't think I'll make it to the next. Still missing my ex (whom hates me, is with another guy). Been trying to talk to other women, date, etc. None of them stand a chance, regardless of how pretty, smart they are. I just can't get my ex off my mind. I still hope she will talk to me again one day. I really thought I'd feel better by now...

I will tell you, what my psychotherapist told me when I first broke down (when first long term relationship ended for me, on top of other things) and it really helped me.

1) She moved on, forget about her calling you anytime soon. If you caught yourself thinking about her, send those thoughts right away and get busy with other things. It will take some time, but this is normal thing if you had feelings for her. I have experienced the same thing, I know what you are going through.

Look, here is what I have experienced in last two nights, when I couldn't sleep due to recent issues - thoughts of my ex (she dumped me for another man,she tried to hide it from me and I really loved her) flashed into my mind and I said loud 'enough' or 'nope' every time. I sounds strange, but with voice I could break those thoughts and right after that thought of something else (like hiking in the mountains, walking our family dog...). Exhausting as hell.

2) Imagine, that all your memories in your mind are organized like boxes. Now, take out the box with memories of your ex. Only keep good ones and throw bad ones away. After that, it is time to lock that box and store it into back archive. You only place that box there once and it is there, but try not too peek into it anymore. Yeah, I know that sentences that I just wrote can sound a bit silly and whole procedure is not that easy, but it helped me. That is past, you need to move on. Just give it time.

3) Do not hurry into next relationship. Take your time.

Happy birthday man!

Izuna

Banned
@ Happy birthday Link! :D

Her parents don't sound like nice people.
It's admirable you want to save her, but you need to help yourself first! We all want to be like the professor (power puff girls)! But it's a massive sign of strength that you care so much for this other person. There is a lot of good in that. A lot of power.

Well...

As for my fasting/dehydration it's going well. Stepping outside was hard but just one more day. I don't want to exceed three days anymore. Funny how I can think clearer during a fast. Looking at myself in the mirror, I should definitely help myself first.

I got offered the job in Tokyo today. So that's cool.

I've been quite the recluse for a while now, so I know how that is. At times, I can go weeks without speaking to anyone outside my immediate family, who I also wish knew when to just back off and leave me alone. Even when I was doing more things, there was such little in the way of positive interactions going on. Usual two outcomes were little to no notice, or unwarranted negative attention coming my way. Such is life.

But for all that it's worth, I see you. You aren't invisible, and you certainly aren't the only one facing these challenges.

Thanks man, I appreciate it :)

I actually tried a little bit this morning, instead of going before everyone else, I went in the kitchen and made tea and sat on the tiny balcony with a cigarette, I even spoke to my mum and sister in the kitchen, but they didn't actually acknowledge my presence, except as a big block in the way. I mean they were all going out, so they were busy and stuff, but still.

Palpable

I will tell you, what my psychotherapist told me when I first broke down (when first long term relationship ended for me, on top of other things) and it really helped me.

1) She moved on, forget about her calling you anytime soon. If you caught yourself thinking about her, send those thoughts right away and get busy with other things. It will take some time, but this is normal thing if you had feelings for her. I have experienced the same thing, I know what you are going through.

Look, here is what I have experienced in last two nights, when I couldn't sleep due to recent issues - thoughts of my ex (she dumped me for another man,she tried to hide it from me and I really loved her) flashed into my mind and I said loud 'enough' or 'nope' every time. I sounds strange, but with voice I could break those thoughts and right after that thought of something else (like hiking in the mountains, walking our family dog...). Exhausting as hell.

2) Imagine, that all your memories in your mind are organized like boxes. Now, take out the box with memories of your ex. Only keep good ones and throw bad ones away. After that, it is time to lock that box and store it into back archive. You only place that box there once and it is there, but try not too peek into it anymore. Yeah, I know that sentences that I just wrote can sound a bit silly and whole procedure is not that easy, but it helped me. That is past, you need to move on. Just give it time.

3) Do not hurry into next relationship. Take your time.

This is great advice. I will try and heed it. I think part of my problem now is that I'm trying to force myself into another relationship to suppress the memories of my ex. My ex also left me for someone else. I still think about her and still hope she talks to me in the future, but that probably won't happen. I know it shouldn't matter to me, though. It is hard to store away the memories of our time together when it was among the best time of my life. I still wish this was some sort of nightmare I could wake up from.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
This is great advice. I will try and heed it. I think part of my problem now is that I'm trying to force myself into another relationship to suppress the memories of my ex. My ex also left me for someone else. I still think about her and still hope she talks to me in the future, but that probably won't happen. I know it shouldn't matter to me, though. It is hard to store away the memories of our time together when it was among the best time of my life. I still wish this was some sort of nightmare I could wake up from.

When you will get over her, you will be able to remember those nice memories. Look, in the past I ended long term relationship (5 years), full of beautiful and also bad memories- I traveled a lot back then with that girl, but it simply did not work in the end between us. It hit me hard, but I was able to move forward, it took me a whole year to move past her and now I look at those five years with some nostalgic feeling. You can do it, just do not give up!

Well...

As for my fasting/dehydration it's going well. Stepping outside was hard but just one more day. I don't want to exceed three days anymore. Funny how I can think clearer during a fast. Looking at myself in the mirror, I should definitely help myself first.

That awesome! I am super jealous. One day I'll get to Japan (and Korea and Taiwan)!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
After suffering from depression for the last 3-5 years, I finally went to the doctor and got some medication yesterday. I'm so excited. I'll actually be able to enjoy things again (well, assuming the meds work). All in all, I'm incredibly optimistic and hopeful, which, regardless of the effects of the meds, is only a good thing.

Anung

Un Rama
I've been on citalopram and been attending CBT for a few months now and it seems to be working well for me. A lot of my anxiety problems are tolerable and suicidal thoughts aren't intrusive any more. Hopefully it'll be able to give me the ability to push through when things are really bad and deal with it without falling apart.

I came off my pills for a few days between getting a repeat prescription and it honestly made me feel like garbage. Pretty much descended into old habits and emotions instantly. It highlighted to me the difference between how I was and how I am now.

ampere

slightly better, but still a mess

Just Another Day on Earth

Glad you are feeling a little better.

Well...

Congrats on the job. Yes please drink some water and get some food man.

After suffering from depression for the last 3-5 years, I finally went to the doctor and got some medication yesterday. I'm so excited. I'll actually be able to enjoy things again (well, assuming the meds work). All in all, I'm incredibly optimistic and hopeful, which, regardless of the effects of the meds, is only a good thing.

That's definitely the right attitude. Hope things get better for you.

A Fish Aficionado

I feel really heartbroken that I embarrassed my friend and lost our friendship. Even more that I had fallen for her. Not that we had been particularly close lately. She's stable, has a career and getting married,and I'm a mess. I can't even hold down a full time job.

Everything was just so sudden.

ampere

It's alright, that's tough for that to happen with those feelings present. Sounds like you just got overwhelmed out of nowhere. Feel free to vent/talk more on here or in PMs! Hopefully you can heal from this.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
My life is turning into a mess.

I don't know if anyone remembers but I posted a few months ago with how terrible my job was going. Well, just over a month ago I was laid off. Which, thank god, means I get severance at least. On the one hand, I feel like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders since it had been so terrible the last couple years there. But on the other, I'm lost. I was at that company for a LONG time. My last role was pretty diverse but it means I've done a little bit of everything and not enough of one thing. I'm overqualified for entry level and then underqualified for other things. Any time I try to look at job postings it triggers me badly and I get in a spiral of negative thoughts. The idea of trying to network makes me sick to my stomach. I don't know exactly what I want to do, or what direction I want to go in.

I am still doing things. I'm going to volunteer at a couple of places, I've been finishing up a class I was taking, I'm going to see a career counselor to try to figure out what the hell I want to do. I'm still seeing my therapist, though she's been on vacation for a month.

It's just that I can feel little things falling apart. I'm starting to have trouble sleeping. I'm starting to feel really low more often now. Negative thoughts are creeping in and beginning to get louder. I know, from talking to others, that there will be ups and downs once you are laid off. But I feel like I'm at a tipping point.

oh, and a close relative, the one who raised me has been having medical issues and will likely have major surgery.

So, I've called my dr to make an appointment to see about getting me back on meds. I've been off them for almost six months since I had been doing so well.

ampere

So, I've called my dr to make an appointment to see about getting me back on meds. I've been off them for almost six months since I had been doing so well.

Sorry to hear things aren't going well. This might be the best course of action for you right now to get things back in control and relax. Try to be optimistic and be there for your relative, that's all you can do.

And job applications are generally stupid. Listings are often written by HR who don't necessarily know what you need to succeed at the job, so I would apply anyway even if you don't quite have the qualifications. They might be willing to train you where necessary and it could work out.

exYle

It can help with the mood but I also felt a kind of high strung at times. Wasn't a fan.

Do you know why my doctor would prescribe it over an SSRI?

My deduction was that I told him I've been hypersomnic lately, and thusly he would feel it was counterproductive to prescribe me a medication that would make me more tired.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Do you know why my doctor would prescribe it over an SSRI?

My deduction was that I told him I've been hypersomnic lately

Probably so. It definitely wakes me up. I take it in the morning for that reason

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to hear things aren't going well. This might be the best course of action for you right now to get things back in control and relax. Try to be optimistic and be there for your relative, that's all you can do.

And job applications are generally stupid. Listings are often written by HR who don't necessarily know what you need to succeed at the job, so I would apply anyway even if you don't quite have the qualifications. They might be willing to train you where necessary and it could work out.

Yeah. I just don't want it to spiral too badly and I think it might help me keep a bit more even. Dr even said when I weaned off it if anything happened or changed, I could go back on no problem.

I'm trying to remember that I should apply anyway, even if I don't have all the qualifications. And I've been trying to look at this like an opportunity but it's not easy.

Izuna

Banned
Broke the fast/dehydration.

Between how things were to how they are today, I am quite happy. So many things I thought I needed aren't.

Of course, if anyone does ever try this, make sure you hydrate yourself long before you start eating again.

I am happy that for now, suicide doesn't make sense to me. I'm thinking about Halo 5, I'm thinking about my family. This sort of feeling doesn't last forever so I want to act as much as possible to help myself.

I know I am kinda cross-posting so it won't make sense, but living in a world without compassion makes me believe GAF is a really awesome place. When I read my previous posts, and realise I really did spend ages looking for easiest methods of ending my life, I am so glad that the response that I got wasn't what I heard yesterday.

"You're not my son so you can die. I don't care."

That is, the worst thing I have ever heard. And I heard it after getting a perspective. If it was before I think that would have done it.

There are real people here who take time out of their day to read other people's problems and tell them things that really helps them through it all. It's amazing. I wish I could exchange e-hugs.

When I get back to London, I really should go for Therapy. I don't know if it is covered by the NHS but, I regret almost for not doing so earlier. Seeking help was the scariest thing but if/when it works, it's great.

Acid08

Banned
I take 1200mg of Gabapentin a day for nerve pain. I do notice that it relaxes me a bit. Sometimes I will even get a little sleepy. How much and how often do you take it? I have a therapy session on Saturday and will ask about it. Now I'm curious because it was given to me for pain.

I'm supposed to take 2 during the day as needed(not required to take) and then three at night before bed. 100mg pills so 300mg minimum, 500mg maximum. Its uses for anxiety are off label but my psychiatrist swore by it. Haven't noticed much of a difference yet. Is it something that takes time to build up like SSRIs?

Speaking of SSRIs, I upped my dosage of Zoloft to a full pill today. 50mg. On Tuesday I start taking two pills which I was told is a moderate dose. I see my psych again in May so we'll re-evaluate at that point. Also only have two days of half a Celexa pill left before I stop that completely.

huxley00

I've been depressed my entire adult life and never realized it. Got on Celexa, got into therapy and got a sun lamp...man, the difference it makes.

Condom

I'm destroying my relationships with anything human just because I'm afraid to live life. Not by being a dick but by isolating myself (which might be the same thing tho).

90% sure I need at least some meds because I'm simply getting more desperate by the day but I fucked up by acting happy and content when meeting the psychiatrist a couple of months ago...

I just can't genuinely show my depression to anyone in person, I am perfect in acting like an ordinary person. My colleagues even ask me why I'm always so upbeat and motivated.

Convinced that if this goes on then I'll be one of those 'Oh I never knew he was depressed, I'm shocked' kind of person on the list of suicides.

Broke the fast/dehydration.

Between how things were to how they are today, I am quite happy. So many things I thought I needed aren't.

Of course, if anyone does ever try this, make sure you hydrate yourself long before you start eating again.

I am happy that for now, suicide doesn't make sense to me. I'm thinking about Halo 5, I'm thinking about my family. This sort of feeling doesn't last forever so I want to act as much as possible to help myself.

I know I am kinda cross-posting so it won't make sense, but living in a world without compassion makes me believe GAF is a really awesome place. When I read my previous posts, and realise I really did spend ages looking for easiest methods of ending my life, I am so glad that the response that I got wasn't what I heard yesterday.

"You're not my son so you can die. I don't care."

That is, the worst thing I have ever heard. And I heard it after getting a perspective. If it was before I think that would have done it.

There are real people here who take time out of their day to read other people's problems and tell them things that really helps them through it all. It's amazing. I wish I could exchange e-hugs.

When I get back to London, I really should go for Therapy. I don't know if it is covered by the NHS but, I regret almost for not doing so earlier. Seeking help was the scariest thing but if/when it works, it's great.

Good Luck Izun!

I'm destroying my relationships with anything human just because I'm afraid to live life. Not by being a dick but by isolating myself (which might be the same thing tho).

90% sure I need at least some meds because I'm simply getting more desperate by the day but I fucked up by acting happy and content when meeting the psychiatrist a couple of months ago...

I just can't genuinely show my depression to anyone in person, I am perfect in acting like an ordinary person. My colleagues even ask me why I'm always so upbeat and motivated.

Convinced that if this goes on then I'll be one of those 'Oh I never knew he was depressed, I'm shocked' kind of person on the list of suicides.

I just want to say that there is a big difference between being a dick and isolating yourself.

I think the truth is that most people generally are limited and inhibited by our fears. It's difficult to be brave in the face of the things that truly terrify us. It doesn't matter if this is going to a social gathering, speaking in front of a large crowd or going skydiving. All that matters is that we accept our fears, that we have them, and then decide with ourselves if we are going to fight them.
Social Anxiety is something that a lot of people struggle with, but there is help. There is a sub reddit dedicated to this field, and there might be some tools you can use to calm yourself when you feel that you are afraid to live life.

The other side of it, that I want to say, is, you are still living life even if it is in isolation. There is no, one right way to live, but if you are unhappy with the way things are, it can be a real help to try and identify what it is that makes you scared.
The mantra in my household was always "what is the worst that can happen?" but as I think on this mantra as an adult, I really think it should be "Is the worst thing that can happen, an alternative to not doing it at all, and pondering on it for the rest of my life?".

I am haunted by the testimonials on old people on their deathbed, who summed up their biggest regrets. Universally the number one wisdom, they all had to give, was not acting in the face of the thing that scared them. Because a lot of life is pondering on what could have been.

Sometimes, we are right not to act in the face of fears. We shouldn't put ourselves on fire or poke sticks at Komodo Dragons, or try to bake bread with radio active waste, because does are legitimately dangerous.
But there is the other side of it, of us running away from all sorts of pain. I am fascinated by boxers who can stand there, and take the punches. It's unavoidable. It's going to hurt. But they get into this mantra where they can instinctively, without even thinking about it consciously, retaliate and emerge from the fear. The body does the work. The brain switches off, and the human is now in the driver seat. The bodys auto-functions take over.

This is also possible in social settings. As I've gotten older I have begun to realize something; Other peoples affinity for you seems to be more based on how you make them feel, rather than what you say.
It makes sense why this is confusing. Throughout schooling and education, we only focus on the art of writing and talking. There are honey pots for people who can express themselves, be noted, debate and so on.
But there is little in the learning and training of emphatically listening. I think we worry too much about saying the right thing. The right questions, the right pick-up lines. It's all a construct of ideas in our heads, that words can not truly translate.
I think that is partially perhaps why many intelligent people tend to get depressed. They have a clarity, nuance and thoughts that are complex, but these can be difficult to translate into words and communication that is understood by other people as inviting and socially uplifting, where as someone who might be less intelligent will have a more simple pattern of beliefs will carry himself/herself which much more simple language that is easier to understand for others, which in turn sparks positive social stimuli and thus the person is rewarded with confidence, which reinforces the behavior.
That is just a gross generalizations, which obviously don't speak for everybody. I just wonder if there is a connection there.

Condom, maybe you will also be surprised of some other people you know, who you think are just happy and normal, also suffer from poor mental health? I think a lot of people put up a front of how they really feel, and a great advice I got once about this was to try and focus less on what people thought about me, and more about what they thought about?
My mind had a way of making things about me. Ego and low confidence is a powerful cocktail. One that distorts in images and mirages of fear and conceive absolution ideas. But we don't have things figured out.

A Fish Aficionado

Someone cares.

At least I got some closure today on my situation. Not exactly the best news but I'm going to have to deal with it.

ampere

Yeah. I just don't want it to spiral too badly and I think it might help me keep a bit more even. Dr even said when I weaned off it if anything happened or changed, I could go back on no problem.

I'm trying to remember that I should apply anyway, even if I don't have all the qualifications. And I've been trying to look at this like an opportunity but it's not easy.

It's never easy so you are not alone in feeling that way. Sometimes you just have to say fuck it and apply for stuff anyway. Try your best to keep at it

I've applied for a job that I thought was out of my reach and it turns out they said I was overqualified for having a college degree. Basically whoever wrote the posting really had no idea about the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom