• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Papa Papa

I found you a new Avatar image

r4Edt0Y.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
I find it absolutely hilarious to see Jawmuncher and others complain that the community is hostile towards them and their moderation. Their community is that way because they're drunk with power and are, quite frankly, absolutely shitty mods. They have zero accountability in their actions, and truly believe people are just hostile towards them without reason.

While the mods here aren't perfect, people aren't overly hostile to them or bitter because they actually do a damn good job. Nobody is walking on eggshells around them and their warnings and moderation efforts are done fairly.

ResetEra mods, and the old GAF mods, seem to have the impression that being a mod makes you immune to criticism. Maybe if they were less concerned with being ResetEra "celebrities" and more concerned with being decent moderators they wouldn't have their community being so sour to them.

Sorry for the rant xD

I wanted to reply to this post but I think this thread is a better place to do it, since my reply is about GAF and its moderation, rather than Era.

In short, I think these the moderation here is pretty f’ing great these days. I didn’t always feel it was that way, which is why I think it’s worth reflecting on it a little.

The moderation here seems mostly invisible and no-ego. For that reason I’d be hard pressed to even name mods here, which I think is a positive, the celeb mod culture seems to be corrosive more often than not.

I think there has been a healthy realisation here that people will have different opinions - some people will think Epic store is great because of the lower rev share, and some will think Steam is great because of the features. Some people will think Sony is great and some that Microsoft is great. These people will inevitably shit a little on each other when a good opportunity arises. Trying to moderate all that out is futile and only serves to antagonise both sides.

The few times I have seen moderation get involved here, it doesn’t seem like their first intervention is slapping a member a warning, it’s them commenting on a thread and saying “come on guys”, you know, like normal fucking people. Usually people do pick that up.

And I may be naive, but I don’t think that kind of soft intervention will cause some unseen infraction point being applied to someone’s account behind the scenes.

As a result people here don’t seem to get that agitated about the “other side”, be that Sony vs Microsoft, Epic vs Steam, Democrat vs Republican. People seem encouraged to make both well thought quality posts and jokes, which I find both enjoyable, and hopefully people feel less “under attack” as a result.

Sorry, that got a bit long :-D

Airola

Checking this thread for the first time and seeing all this cunt stuff here reminded me of this photo I took from a karaoke song book at cruise ship maybe ten years ago:

dclEZma.jpg

I haven't got much idea what this thread is all about (even after reading the OP) but this will be the place I'm sharing this piece of history of my life.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Checking this thread for the first time and seeing all this cunt stuff here reminded me of this photo I took from a karaoke song book at cruise ship maybe ten years ago:

dclEZma.jpg

I haven't got much idea what this thread is all about (even after reading the OP) but this will be the place I'm sharing this piece of history of my life.

I see your Final Cuntdown songbook "misprint", and raise you this picture I took of some local hoodlum's handiwork:

o8Ix7R3.jpg

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

dclEZma.jpg

“The Final Cuntdown”

That’s what we call the Australian Federal Election.

Nymphae

Banned
A lot of users seem to complain about those who drop a video link and call it a day. Can anything be done about this? Should anything be done about this? Am I just a habitual complainer?

I just dropped into the Smollet thread to see the latest update.....video embed no text. It's just frustrating and I can agree with the posters who complain about OP's not including some form of summary (I will still defend Antoons thread/post because the thread title was somewhat of a description of the video content at least.)

I wonder if a small prompt would be possible when posting a video link with no text. Similar to how when you try to post again too soon after a recent post ,and you get that popup that says hey wait 30 seconds spaz, maybe a video link post with no text could have a little popup saying hey can you add a few words to this?

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe people should just cop shit in their thread for it on a case by case basis instead?

Papa

Banned
A lot of users seem to complain about those who drop a video link and call it a day. Can anything be done about this? Should anything be done about this? Am I just a habitual complainer?

I just dropped into the Smollet thread to see the latest update.....video embed no text. It's just frustrating and I can agree with the posters who complain about OP's not including some form of summary (I will still defend Antoons thread/post because the thread title was somewhat of a description of the video content at least.)

I wonder if a small prompt would be possible when posting a video link with no text. Similar to how when you try to post again too soon after a recent post ,and you get that popup that says hey wait 30 seconds spaz, maybe a video link post with no text could have a little popup saying hey can you add a few words to this?

For general comments, I don't see a problem with just posting a link or a video. For a new thread, it's lazy, and I would be in favour of a rule such as new threads containing links must include at least a two sentence summary or the user's take on the link.

Shifty

For general comments, I don't see a problem with just posting a link or a video. For a new thread, it's lazy, and I would be in favour of a rule such as new threads containing links must include at least a two sentence summary or the user's take on the link.
I agree with this. It's good to have high standards for OP content.

Yeah I don’t have that concern for replies to a thread. But the OP should be more than that. They are the conversation starter.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I don’t have that concern for replies to a thread. But the OP should be more than that. They are the conversation starter.
Yep. Replies can be ignored or whatever.
The op is the whole point. People shouldn't have to click on a link to be able to respond.
Unless it's a movie trailer or something.

But it doesn't need to be a rule. Self-policing could work.
Or thread makers might realise they get more responses if they put in a bit more effort. (Not giving shit to them - they're fuckin great and are doing more for this site than me.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kagey K

Banned
Yep. Replies can be ignored or whatever.
The op is the whole point. People shouldn't have to click on a link to be able to respond.
Unless it's a movie trailer or something.

But it doesn't need to be a rule. Self-policing could work.
Or thread makers might realise they get more responses if they put in a bit more effort. (Not giving shit to them - they're fuckin great and are doing more for this site than me.)
As a general rule, for threads that want to convey news (especially on the gaming and political sides) they should post a link to the source and pick out and quote pertinent information and offer it with no editorial, in my opinion.

There used to be too many threads where the OP derails the thread right of the bat with their “witty” one liner.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I will still defend Antoons thread/post because the thread title was somewhat of a description of the video content at least.
The thread title did not give any additional information over the op name though.

Nymphae

Banned
The thread title did not give any additional information over the op name though.

The thread title was descriptive of what the video was about. Yeah, he could have put bullet points in his OP, but for a 4 minute video, idk, it didn't bend me out of shape, it was presented as a short video to watch and discuss. I don't expect OP's to transcribe videos they want to share, or necessarily have to give shitposters a summary to work off of. If you're not interested in what is being provided, stay out of the thread, and do better in your own.

I do understand wanting a little bit more out of OPs sometimes, but at the same time, I don't really see what he did wrong here, aside from continue to discuss subjects that it is clear a lot of the board would prefer he didn't.

Last edited:
Totally just curious, is it okay for me to ask why the IT: Chapter Two thread get locked? Did something in there cross the line? Just wondering so I can improve in the future

Edit

Oops maybe I jumped the gun? Said it was locked a second ago but now is open.

Maybe I’m finally completely crazy and seeing things!

Last edited:

Acerac

Banned
Is banning people who shit on topics then ditching them not a thing?

Is it because the board sees value in trolls? We can not even mark off shitty posts with the icon system and I have to wonder why.

Hudo

Is it because the board sees value in trolls? We can not even mark off shitty posts with the icon system and I have to wonder why.
Shhhhht! Don't ruin my gig, man!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

Trolls are allowed to troll, but you are also allowed to troll back.

Drive-bys and intentional shit-stirring are frowned upon and you should report it and forget about it. Mods have historically given shit-stirrers plenty of chances to contribute before getting a warning, a ban, or a permaban.

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah kind of curious myself, I saw him arguing in the resetera threads thread but I couldn't be bothered to read all of his posts.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Edit: Regarding Red's ban, the justification is in the NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project thread. There's too many threads to be caught up in :p

I didn't really get HyGogg's perma ban too since I've seen people here swearing at and insulting members without being touched. He had a double whammy woof of commenting on a person's lack of English skill in a thread, I believe a German member made, without probably realizing they were ESL.

Last edited:

Barnabot

This and any other thread he saw an oportunity to defend Era without saying he wanted to defend it. Any oportunity a user created either being a thread and/or post about that they were leaving this forum he also took the opportunity to criticize how thing were running here on GAF.

This is my tl;dr . Blunt yeah but that's what I understood.

plushyp

Trolls are allowed to troll, but you are also allowed to troll back.

Drive-bys and intentional shit-stirring are frowned upon and you should report it and forget about it. Mods have historically given shit-stirrers plenty of chances to contribute before getting a warning, a ban, or a permaban.
Just noticed that Acerac requested a perm ban not soon after his posts. Strange why he took such a step all of a sudden.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just read the ban review posts. Interesting. I kinda stopped reading Redneckerz' posts after a while because almost every one waffled on about nothing for too long. I'm not that shocked to read what I read I guess.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Maybe the mods / staff would be open to a restriction on posting on Politics board until a user has been made x number of posts on the other boards. Anecdotally, I have seen more users are signing up specifically to post in political threads lately. I enjoy discussing those topics among the company of regular GAFers because we each have a reputation and history of opinions, not to mention we can blow off steam in other threads or channels, outside of politics.

When users sign up specifically to argue on the Politics side-forum, it feels hollow discussing topics because there is not the same skin in the game. I'm here to talk about games and sometimes to argue about politics on the side. Do we want GAF to be a politics destination like it was back in the USA 2016 election? Splitting the Politics board off into its own section has done a lot of good, in my opinion. Perhaps consider de-emphasizing Politics board even further especially now that GAF communities are on the horizon would be worth trying?

I mean, we are headed into Next Gen consoles as well as the 2020 USA election season. If we're gonna get flooded with spammers, astroturfers, shills, and ideologues, I'd rather have it be of the console war variety instead of the political variety.

Nymphae

Banned
If people want to join specifically to discuss politics with this community, I think that sounds like a good thing. Maybe they branch out into gaming more often, or off topic, who knows. I'd expect problem accounts to be taken care of by mods, or ignored. I'd say just don't engage with newer users until you've determined whether or not you feel they are participating in good faith, you can still simply discuss things with the rest of the community like always. New users with good contributions will be recognized and become part of the community. I don't know, up to the mods I guess, having a gaming forum post requirement to post in Politics just seems weird to me. I feel like there are some users I only see in politics, or gaming.

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
Maybe the mods / staff would be open to a restriction on posting on Politics board until a user has been made x number of posts on the other boards. Anecdotally, I have seen more users are signing up specifically to post in political threads lately. I enjoy discussing those topics among the company of regular GAFers because we each have a reputation and history of opinions, not to mention we can blow off steam in other threads or channels, outside of politics.

When users sign up specifically to argue on the Politics side-forum, it feels hollow discussing topics because there is not the same skin in the game. I'm here to talk about games and sometimes to argue about politics on the side. Do we want GAF to be a politics destination like it was back in the USA 2016 election? Splitting the Politics board off into its own section has done a lot of good, in my opinion. Perhaps consider de-emphasizing Politics board even further especially now that GAF communities are on the horizon would be worth trying?

I mean, we are headed into Next Gen consoles as well as the 2020 USA election season. If we're gonna get flooded with spammers, astroturfers, shills, and ideologues, I'd rather have it be of the console war variety instead of the political variety.

One of the protections we have in place now is that the first posts a new users makes are 100% moderated. We moderate these first posts from new users with a high level of scrutiny. Occasionally everything someone says will get bounced by our team. We try to make sure that new users are posting in good faith (and also that they're not scammers / spammers), but keep in mind there is a human element happening here which means it'll never be 100% accurate.

If you have a user you feel you suspect of posting in bad faith, please report them and we'll take a closer look.

Shifty

I'm all for it, honestly. GAF is first and foremost a gaming forum, and given the caustic nature of political discourse it doesn't seem unreasonable to apply a restriction to discourage bad actors from signing up and jumping in with arms windmilling.

I don't know, up to the mods I guess, having a gaming forum post requirement to post in Politics just seems weird to me. I feel like there are some users I only see in politics, or gaming.
It seems equally weird to me that people would come here primarily for the political discourse rather than it being a secondary or even tertiary facet to gaming-side. Long-time members drifting toward a specific subforum over time I can understand since people get older and their priorities in life change, but new members? Why not go to a politics-specific site if that's the goal?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
but new members? Why not go to a politics-specific site if that's the goal?

Simple, slactivism and sometimes partisan trolling.

So niche sites like gaming ones, or sub communities in social media sites that allow it, those actors will flock to in hopes to change minds, etc..

Some are also too intellectually dishonest to hang with the specialized sites as well I wager. As in, they don’t want to put that much effort into their hottakes, etc., that they would have to in a sole political arena.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
One of the protections we have in place now is that the first posts a new users makes are 100% moderated. We moderate these first posts from new users with a high level of scrutiny. Occasionally everything someone says will get bounced by our team. We try to make sure that new users are posting in good faith (and also that they're not scammers / spammers), but keep in mind there is a human element happening here which means it'll never be 100% accurate.

If you have a user you feel you suspect of posting in bad faith, please report them and we'll take a closer look.
My perspective is that if you know a high volume of spam is coming from a certain direction, why not try to prevent it or at least put a few easy safeguards in place to make the task more manageable? You can brace yourself to moderate the spam manually, but you can also make it more annoying for the spammer/troll to make their posts which reduces the mod/admin team's overall workload.

The typical blog with comments offers a comment-moderation section in the Admin dashboard so that the site owner can review, approve, or delete comments on their blog site (what you're describing when you mention your tools for moderating brand-new users). But there are additional tools like a user-facing captcha to at least prevent the bots from getting through (kind of like what I'm proposing). The pool lifeguard can blow their whistle if they see a kid dropping their shorts to shit in the shallow end of the pool, but you should still probably have one of those little boxes with the urinal-cake-for-pools inside just in case the lifeguard / forum-moderator got busy checking out the Butts thread.

In this case, the "captcha" is the prerequisite of posting x number of posts between any of the non-Politics boards. If you can act like a human within those first x number of posts, you've passed the GAF captcha.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and explain the staff's stance on this topic, by the way.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
It seems equally weird to me that people would come here primarily for the political discourse rather than it being a secondary or even tertiary facet to gaming-side. Long-time members drifting toward a specific subforum over time I can understand since people get older and their priorities in life change, but new members? Why not go to a politics-specific site if that's the goal?

I mean yeah I do see this place as a gaming forum first, and I too would think that you would just go to a political forum if that was your main interest. But I don't know, me thinking it odd that someone wants to join up here primarily to discuss political subjects with this community doesn't mean it can't happen. I feel like over 90% of Nobody_Important's posts are in Politics or politically themed threads. It's what he likes to discuss, whatever.

Top Bottom