• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta Quest 3 | OT + Review Thread |

That's crazy isolated. I've been reading VR threads for like 6 months and I've never seen a single person complain of anything like that. Quest 3 is a great headset, and for as much hate as Meta gets, they do stand behind it, and will warranty any issues.

You absolutely won't regret it, especially not if you also have access to PC VR.
I have had nothing but stellar customer service with the quest. I left the shit by a window by accident and burnt a little red line into the panel. They replaced it. I have had replacement controllers sent too ez pz.

Resenge

That's crazy isolated. I've been reading VR threads for like 6 months and I've never seen a single person complain of anything like that. Quest 3 is a great headset, and for as much hate as Meta gets, they do stand behind it, and will warranty any issues.

You absolutely won't regret it, especially not if you also have access to PC VR.

It's not that isolated.

I have read a quite a few people having this problem with the Quest 2 but I feel its more about the abuse of the port. How many times did they tug at the wire? I appreciate that it is a design fault and Meta should come up with a better design though.

I own 3 Quest 2 and 1 Quest 3 and not had a problem with any of my ports but I have modded all of them with a battery on the back and a small USB C lead that is attached to the Quests and doesnt move or get tugged about also I have never used the Wired PCVR connection which is my guess at the cause of the issue.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Alexios Alexios another option is something like this:

I am not sure why I didn't think of it, probably trying to be overly practical, but you can just buy a second router and just create a local network without accessing the internet, which would limit online play but might be useful if you can't get that latency down

Resenge

Alexios Alexios another option is something like this:

I am not sure why I didn't think of it, probably trying to be overly practical, but you can just buy a second router and just create a local network without accessing the internet, which would limit online play but might be useful if you can't get that latency down
I couldn't buy the Air bridge officially in the UK so had to go the dedicated router route.

My Daughter has a PC in her room which is wirelessly connected to my house router but she has a dedicated router in her room connected to her pc physically just for the Quest 2. We shared her wireless network connection from the house router to her dedicated router.

That allows her to have a rock solid wireless connection to her pc which gives her a good Virtual Desktop stream but also has access to the wireless conection her pc gets from the house router.

Its not perfect, windows likes to not share the connection after a boot or two and you have to uncheck and recheck the share option to restart it but apart from that it's good.

Last edited:
Finished Half Life Alyx this weekend.
I was impressed most of the way through.
I had trouble in the Vodka warehouse with Jeff.
That level with Jeff just went on and on and my nerves got frayed. It’s a stealth sequence and I sucked at it.
I liked using the gravity gloves to pickup and manipulate things. I got good at that. Just grab, flick and catch.
Alyx and Russel were fun characters.
Great levels with so much variety.

I am curious if this changes the Half Life story any. I don’t remember how the Half Life 2 expansion games ended.

They did leave it open to do more.

Had a Quest 3 delivered at the weekend. Pretty easy to setup and the QOL improvements over the G2 are nice, tho the screen or feed is noticeably worse than what you got on the G2's display even if its not that much lower resolution. Ended up settling on wired use with PC for now, tried Steam Link first but the audio popping and image breakup on fast motion was bad - way worse than even Riftcat VRidge. A couple of question:

1. The Oculus app keeps bleating on about changing the runtime to Oculus, keep on OpenXR?
  2. Is it normal for the app to drop resolution when upping the refresh rate? When I selected 90Hz to match the G2 I used before it seemed to drop about 10% on the resolution output by the app compared to 72Hz, guess that also means 120Hz drops further?

MarkMe2525

I really wanna get a Quest (well the plan was to PC upgade first but god damn I've been wanting that for years and prices aren't getting any better, fuck fuck fuck, ~500 for this from an Amazon seems more viable to use stand alone/with what my current PC can handle) but this stupid shit scares me.

WAY too many reports of stupid shit like this going wrong since the Quest 2 if not 1 and my country's not officially supported despite being in the EU. Although previously they did at one point send me a free refurbished CV1 cable long after the warranty had expired (it was already discontinued so they had leftover stock I guess) so that's a good indication, nowadays they have so many more customers that even if they want to they probably can't get to all in a timely manner. I'm not even following Quest in particular, just VR in general, but reddit and other such places are full of such things (not counting the dumb I played Gorilla Tag and smashed my hand and controller in the wall stuff obviously). It seems CV1 was their sturdiest product, especially the controllers, and that had its issues too (the audio cable in the strap eventually giving out and the main cable being impossible to replace after it was discontinued when eventually all will be worn down, something that's of course solved with the streaming video on the Quest line not needing proprietary/any cables). Plus ports are fiddly in general and the first thing to go out even on my phones and stuff so, yeah, I hate this.

This is why I mainly make large purchases at brick and morter stores. Not everyone has that luxury though :(

Minsc

Gold Member
Had a Quest 3 delivered at the weekend. Pretty easy to setup and the QOL improvements over the G2 are nice, tho the screen or feed is noticeably worse than what you got on the G2's display even if its not that much lower resolution. Ended up settling on wired use with PC for now, tried Steam Link first but the audio popping and image breakup on fast motion was bad - way worse than even Riftcat VRidge. A couple of question:

1. The Oculus app keeps bleating on about changing the runtime to Oculus, keep on OpenXR?
  2. Is it normal for the app to drop resolution when upping the refresh rate? When I selected 90Hz to match the G2 I used before it seemed to drop about 10% on the resolution output by the app compared to 72Hz, guess that also means 120Hz drops further?

Just FYI it's not uncommon for Steam Link to have issues and VD to work perfectly. VD does look better than Oculus Link IMO too.

Just FYI it's not uncommon for Steam Link to have issues and VD to work perfectly. VD does look better than Oculus Link IMO too.

Aye, I looked into all that before picking one up. It's also not uncommon for Steam Link to be the best, or even Air Link, what I eventually realised is that each connection method works best for different people so there isn't a defacto best solution - Oculus Link works great with a cable so I'm good for now. Ended up trying Steam Link first as there was a recent reddit post lauding it and it seemed simplest. Getting into VR with the G2 was as simple as 2 clicks so I'm just trying to keep that at least for now before delving into VD or anything like that.

Having used a G2 for a while I'm not averse to using a cable either, a simple type-c wire is more manageable than that chunky G2 one that could whip a whale to death.

Romulus

It's the stream not the Quest 3. The problem is you need more power for edge to edge clarity in quest 3.

The sweet spot was awful in my experience with the g2 along with a noticeably smaller fov. But Pancake lenses alone blow away any clarity edge the g2 had IF conditions are good. G2 is better at plug and play in ways.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’ve read the entire thread. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. Once I get my bonus, and usual Walmart giftcard, I’m getting a Quest 3 to replace my Quest 2. I’ll have the Q2 to my daughter, after I clear my browsing history!!!!

I have a deep library on my Q2 already that includes RE4, Bonelabs, Beat Saber, 11Table Tennis, Superhot, Walkabout Minigolf, Vader, Zenith, Walking Dead, etc.

After reading the thread, I plan on picking up (while on sale) Dungeons of Eternity, Moss, Drop Dead: The Cabin and Red Matter 2.

I’m going to hold off on getting the elite head strap. I’ll just use one of my many external batteries and strap it to the back of the included strap via Velcro.

Hot5pur

I’ve read the entire thread. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. Once I get my bonus, and usual Walmart giftcard, I’m getting a Quest 3 to replace my Quest 2. I’ll have the Q2 to my daughter, after I clear my browsing history!!!!

I have a deep library on my Q2 already that includes RE4, Bonelabs, Beat Saber, 11Table Tennis, Superhot, Walkabout Minigolf, Vader, Zenith, Walking Dead, etc.

After reading the thread, I plan on picking up (while on sale) Dungeons of Eternity, Moss, Drop Dead: The Cabin and Red Matter 2.

I’m going to hold off on getting the elite head strap. I’ll just use one of my many external batteries and strap it to the back of the included strap via Velcro.
It's your lucky day because all of those are on sale now.
For strap, I got this and it's pretty darn good: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJLFJ5VT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details, also about half of the elite head strap (without battery)
Battery wise I don't like the extra weight and I like to be able to see the charge level (my battery has an indicator), so I made a makeshift armband that I can stuff a battery into and it works rather well.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It's your lucky day because all of those are on sale now.
For strap, I got this and it's pretty darn good: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJLFJ5VT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details, also about half of the elite head strap (without battery)
Battery wise I don't like the extra weight and I like to be able to see the charge level (my battery has an indicator), so I made a makeshift armband that I can stuff a battery into and it works rather well.
Cool. I made my first battery accessory strap for the Q2.

I’ve seen that there are adapters people have made (3D printed) to allow you to use your Q2 elite head strap with the Q3.

It's the stream not the Quest 3. The problem is you need more power for edge to edge clarity in quest 3.

The sweet spot was awful in my experience with the g2 along with a noticeably smaller fov. But Pancake lenses alone blow away any clarity edge the g2 had IF conditions are good. G2 is better at plug and play in ways.

For me the sweet spot of the G2 was never really an issue, my glasses fit snug into the headset and acted like an additional support I guess so never moved really and stayed centred. Took a little more tweaking tonight but finally got the Quest 3 sorted now. Turns out it wasn't plugged into a Gen 2 port, was only a Gen 1, so when I switched the headset USB earlier it opened up much better video options. Defaulted to 90Hz and what looks like 1.3x resolution, which ended up visually cleaner than before and pretty close to how I recall the G2 to be. Now I should be able to appreciate all the other benefits with that outta the way

Hot5pur

A few things I've learned that may benefit some folks.
Accessories
Straps: One of the decisions is with battery or without. I recommend without to give yourself more flexibility. Also if you want to play lying down some straps may have a bulge at the back.
IfiTsn2.png

You can try something like the above, it's the "elite" style of strap but at less than half the cost. I contemplated also the Bobo or the Kiwi, but with Bobo it has less stability with fast moving games and Kiwi is pricier.

Battery: I recommend at least 10000 mWh, should give anywhere from an additional 2-4 hours. Go for something at least 18 W that supports PD, otherwise your Quest 3 may drain before your battery does. If you want it to be multi-purpose also get one that supports wireless charging.
AiD1i1z.png

You can velcro it to your head, or I prefer an arm holster so you can keep an eye on the charge level, you can make one out of an old sock: LINK

Facial interface: I tired the AMVR one and it's pretty bad, the materials are dense and they are not breathable, and I get sweaty much faster. The stock facial interface on the Q3 is actually quite good. I would leave it alone for now or wait until VR cover releases something.

Controller grips: These are useful if you want a more tactile feel and also if you feel throwing things is awkward in VR. You can fully open your hand without worrying about the controller flying out of it. The nice things about these is they come with special battery inserts so you can replace batteries without taking the grips off.

RP3znpL.png

Right angle USB C:
You are going to plugging and unplugging your charging cable ALOT, or you may be playing with the Q3 connected with a link cable. To save your charging slot, you can use something like this to protect it, it's quite convenient.

6yjDKjb.png

Hardware (streaming):
I would not recommend running out an buying a Wifi 6e router right away. It's the best solution if you live in a crowded are with many overlapping Wifi networks, but you may not need it. First check how congested your area is: LINK
If you do find you have many stutters, try reducing the streaming bitrate (you can get away with 100 or 150 with the HVEC for example).
Ideally make sure PC is connected via ethernet and you're on the 5GHz network for the Q3.
Best value 6e router I could find is HERE. It will also have a 6 GHz band that likely will be completely free of interference (ie. the whole point of getting 6e)

Fence-sitters I can say the some advantages of the Q3 (compared to Q2) are as follows:
- Pancake lenses allow you to have focus across much of the FOV, so you don't have to tilt your head to get things into focus as with Fresnel lenses
- Higher resolution display/setup and better hardware to drive it
- Much improved passthrough that makes games with a lot of movement and danger of hitting stuff a lot easier/safer
- Less annoying controllers without the rings

If any of this has been useful, consider using my headset referral:

Also Meta is heavily subsidizing the software ecosystem and you can literally get 25% off any game with a referral (consider asking GAF members first):
https://meta-dog.github.io/meta-dog/ (website where you can pull a referral for any game instantly)

Tangerine

Is a bundle of star wars Vader immortal 1, 2 and 3 for £15.50 ($19) worth it? I've never played or watched play any of these 3 games by the way.

I'm pretty new to VR. No idea what price they released at.

Minsc

Gold Member
Is a bundle of star wars Vader immortal 1, 2 and 3 for £15.50 ($19) worth it? I've never played or watched play any of these 3 games by the way.

I'm pretty new to VR. No idea what price they released at.

I bought them under the impression they'd be a fun little movie to experience in VR, but they're really more dated than I'd have preferred. And they were definitely made for OLED displays, the darker rooms you get put in look downright bad at times with the LCD screens on the Quest 3. Really depends on how crazy you are about Star Wars I'd say.

If you have PC VR, Squadrons goes on sale for $2 every so often, that's going to impress you 100 times more. Something like the Red Matter 1 + 2 collection for almost the same price will be a lot more impressive than that Vader collection. Red Matter games are amongst the nicest looking on the headset.

Tangerine

I bought them under the impression they'd be a fun little movie to experience in VR, but they're really more dated than I'd have preferred. And they were definitely made for OLED displays, the darker rooms you get put in look downright bad at times with the LCD screens on the Quest 3. Really depends on how crazy you are about Star Wars I'd say.

If you have PC VR, Squadrons goes on sale for $2 every so often, that's going to impress you 100 times more. Something like the Red Matter 1 + 2 collection for almost the same price will be a lot more impressive than that Vader collection. Red Matter games are amongst the nicest looking on the headset.
I appreciate that. I'll hold off on Star wars till they maybe get a quest 3 update. Hopefully the quest 4 is oled!

I've got red matter 2. Not started it yet.

Squadrons is high on my list when I can afford a gaming PC :)

I'm thinking I'll hold off on resident evil 4 if I can stream a PC quality version wirelessly when I have my gaming PC. Half life alyx is high on that list too.

I've been buying quest games that I think won't look that much better on PC.

I'm still really enjoying my time in VR!

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Guys, I'm gonna fuckin' lose my mind. Need some help.

I can't download big games on the Quest 3.

First, the download speed on Quest 3 is ~20% of my actual Internet speed, which isn't great to begin with. Second, the download gets canceled automatically after some time. I've been reinstalling Asgard's Wrath 2, and it has been 3 days worth of effort with no avail.

This wasn't the problem initially. I installed AW2 on launch day (at full speed) and played the game. Now, the problem is with pretty much every game / update I'm installing on Quest 3.

It seems like others are facing the same issue. Did anybody face a similar issue? Does anyone know how to fix it / download a big game that would take hours?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I've had this thing since right after it released. At first I was trying to play every day, to help get myself oriented to VR without getting sick. I got sick, a lot. Now here I am a few months later, and I can barely play through one song in Beat Saber (which doesn't have a lot of motion) without wanting to vomit.

I think I'm just never going to get the hang of VR. It's a shame, it seems like it's got some really great experiences. Was really hoping I could play through that Assassin's Creed game.

Minsc

Gold Member
So I've had this thing since right after it released. At first I was trying to play every day, to help get myself oriented to VR without getting sick. I got sick, a lot. Now here I am a few months later, and I can barely play through one song in Beat Saber (which doesn't have a lot of motion) without wanting to vomit.

I think I'm just never going to get the hang of VR. It's a shame, it seems like it's got some really great experiences. Was really hoping I could play through that Assassin's Creed game.

That sucks - yeah, Quest 3 is pretty clear so not sure if there's much hope if even stationary games are tripping you. Have you given the Mixed-Reality modes a try? Maybe seeing yourself in your room would help prevent the sickness, but it does sound like you gave it a good shot and can't use it.

How do you fair on rollercoasters and rides with a lot of upside-down or fast spinning like those centrifuge rides or boats? I've always been super resilient to any kind of motion sickness so I imagine that helps, but even still the first week or two of VR took some pacing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How do you fair on rollercoasters and rides with a lot of upside-down or fast spinning like those centrifuge rides or boats? I've always been super resilient to any kind of motion sickness so I imagine that helps, but even still the first week or two of VR took some pacing.
I'm usually okay with roller coasters - in fact, I found a few roller coaster VR videos on Youtube and tried going through those to maybe help train my brain to not be motion sick. They were pretty thrilling, and I didn't get motion sick watching them, but for some reason my brain just can't make the leap to interactive content.

I've tried a few mixed-reality demos and I do seem to fair better with them, but still not something I can stomach for more than about 10 minutes at a go. Maybe if the passthrough resolution were better...

Probably just not for me, or at least not in it's current iteration unfortunately. Not sure if it'd be weird or not, but I might pass my headset on to my son for Christmas.

I think I'm just never going to get the hang of VR
I think I've gotten my VR legs EXCEPT for smooth turning. I still have to have snap turn on, or else I get a bit queezy.
I can move up, down forward, backwrds but as soon as I spin I can feel a bit of stomach lurch.
It's not as bad as when I first played but it's still there.

First, the download speed on Quest 3 is ~20% of my actual Internet speed, which isn't great to begin with. Second, the download gets canceled automatically after some time. I've been reinstalling Asgard's Wrath 2, and it has been 3 days worth of effort with no avail.
There is a setting in the headset to allow full speed downloads while playing.
That might help.

I get ok speeds downloading through the headset but the PC meta store was stupid slow.

darthvargi

Really am pleasantly surprised with Racquet Club. I wasn't expecting much as I already play Eleven, Racket Fury, First Person Tennis, and Racket NX but it's a blast. There is a lot of real world skill to it and it's a blend of table tennis and pickleball. I really recommend it if you have some physical space.

GymWolf

How big is the jump between quest 1 and quest 3 graphic and performance wise? do games still look terrible and far away from pc vr?

Can i play from seated position? i have a fucked up leg right now...

Last edited:
Guys…I’m currently debating whether or not to try exchanging for a new headset. Are you guys experiencing mura? It reminds me of dirty screen effect on LCD TVs before I switched to my OLED TV. Basically, it’s a filmy mesh layer that shows up when you move your head, particularly over solid background colors like the sky. I find it pretty distracting. My Quest 2 did not have that.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
How big is the jump between quest 1 and quest 3 graphic and performance wise? do games still look terrible and far away from pc vr?

Can i play from seated position? i have a fucked up leg right now...
The jump is huge from 1 and 3 in all ways. The difference is getting smaller between it and PCVR, but using the Quest 3 as a PCVR headset is the way to go. And yes, Quest 3 and a lot of its games allow for sitting gameplay. In the store, each games page will say if there’s a sitting option. I played some of RE4 sitting and it worked just fine.

Minsc

Gold Member
Guys…I’m currently debating whether or not to try exchanging for a new headset. Are you guys experiencing mura? It reminds me of dirty screen effect on LCD TVs before I switched to my OLED TV. Basically, it’s a filmy mesh layer that shows up when you move your head, particularly over solid background colors like the sky. I find it pretty distracting. My Quest 2 did not have that.

Outside the blacks looking gray, the IQ is pretty much perfect for me on the Quest 3, no mura at all.

Outside the blacks looking gray, the IQ is pretty much perfect for me on the Quest 3, no mura at all.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. There seems to be a lot of people online commenting they have the mura, so you did well! I wonder how many people here have it.

MarkMe2525

Damn, I wouldn't think a game where you are being represented as standing still would cause such motion sickness. That does sound awful.

MarkMe2525

If I were to focus on it, I can perceive the Mura, but it is not as you describe in my headset.

Meta Quest 2023 recap
74 active hours

Top app
The 7th Guest
9 Hours

People connected with

Total visited apps
(they must be counting demos)

Achievements earned

On Meta Quest since
Oct 2023

I know I played way more Walk about Mini Golf.
But I also played that in PSVR2.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Meta Quest 2023 recap
74 active hours

Top app
The 7th Guest
9 Hours

People connected with

Total visited apps
(they must be counting demos)

Achievements earned

On Meta Quest since
Oct 2023

Where is this from?

Romulus

I will continually remind people to look into the Team Beef ports for Quest 2/3. Boomer shooter paradise and if you own those games on steam you just need to follow the tutorials to get the VR ports running. From og Doom to Quake 4.

Just played a few min of Lego Brick Builders.
The game less than 400MB, Tiny.
It puts a large Diarama in front of you and the controls are really simple to move things around.
I did the first few tutorials and now I'm in the theme park.
It all works in AR with the Camera so It's possible to put the diarama on a real table and walk around it.
There are some physics for the building the bricks, Can't just put a brink anywhere.
I think I'm going to really like this.

reinking

Gold Member
How do they compare? Also, can you cross play with PSVR2 and Quest 3? I might have to buy it for both systems if we can multiplayer cross play. Any courses to avoid? Or, is it worth it just to go all in on the complete pack?

reinking

Gold Member
I ended up picking up the Kiwi head strap and a battery pack. I think that is going to help me enjoy the Quest 3 much more. Kind of funny, PSVR2 it is the controller batteries that drain and interrupt playtime and on the Quest 3 is the headset. 😜

One thing that will probably keep me playing the Quest 3 much more than the PSVR2 is mixed reality. I do a lot of multitasking. With MR on the Quest 3 I can play some Bricktales and still keep up with what is going on around me. It is good enough to have a football game on the TV and be able to keep up while playing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom