• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic: Best Games of 2016 (and platform comparisons)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There will be a separate iOS/Android report later.

Games:

metacriticgames20168bsjn.png

And I know you all love platform comparisons so:

metacriticplatforms204msza.png

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-videogames-of-2016?ref=hp

gngf123

Stephen's Sausage Roll represent!

46 75+ games on PC, nice. That doesn't even include all the amazing indie games on Steam that don't make it to 7 reviews on Metacritic.

wapplew

Pc have so many good games. Recently play Shadow tactics, another gem.
No surprise PS4 have more games on the console side.

Toki767

Those Vita numbers.

Xbox One had more than 3 exclusives right? It seems weird that only 3 scored over a 75.

Tagyhag

And the crazy thing, is that there's even more good games that haven't been rated by metacritic because they didn't get 4 or more reviews.

Those Vita numbers.

Xbox One had more than 3 exclusives right? It seems weird that only 3 scored over a 75.

You might be thinking about Xbox/PC exclusives.

NBA 2K17 is 90 based on legacy, that game is an abomination of x's and o's. NBA 2k17 should be no higher than a 6 period. If you played this game for more than 3 quarters you would know especially on the higher difficulties.

Apparently the 2007 edition is the 26th best rated game of all time.

Yeah, OOTP is the definition of niche appeal, but if other developers put just a tiny bit of the attention to detail OOTP Developments do it'd be a much better world. I can't think of any game that does what it intends to do better than OOTP.

Javin98

Banned
A walking simulator with mediocre gameplay, average story telling, fucking shit pacing and the most generic white protagonist in gaming should not be the highest rated game this generation! ND's name is the only reason for such high scores!

Even with the lowest number of games, WiiU managed to low have the lowest average.

Cool to see the Witcher, KRZ & Stephen's Sausage Roll do so well :)

Xliskin

So as thw switch will be a handheld device and console in the same time , are we expecting around 100 games next year ?!!

Almost identical to the WiiU numbers. What an astounding failure of a console follow-up to the Wii. Nintendo better pray every night for the Switch to not bomb.
Nintendo won't be diverting development resources to a separate handheld which all but guarantees its success in my mind, at least from a quantity of quality games perspective.

Sterok

That amazing good exclusives/scored games ratio for the 3DS I think sums up the platform perfectly. It only has exclusives, but what it does have is pretty good. Damn you Langrisser for bringing down the 3DS.

Vita has a better average than 3DS but has no "good" games, damn that hurt.

Key word: Exclusives

It has plenty of good games, they're just on other systems too (Trails of Cold Steel 2 is on PS3, Zero Time Dilemma is on 3DS+Steam, etc).

It's an interesting article. The one dumb thing that sticks out to me is the Xbone version of NBA 2k17 appearing on the 90+ list based on 17 reviews compared to the PS4 version's 88 score from 47 reviews. I think when a multiplatform game is practically identical on different platforms, they should just combine them together.

Bolivar687

Banned
Not surprised to see PC has the most standout exclusives and it's not even close. It's still commendable that Sony has almost as many reviewed games and their average score isn't far behind either.

Also not surprised to see Vita doing well with average score.

A walking simulator with mediocre gameplay, average story telling, fucking shit pacing and the most generic white protagonist in gaming should not be the highest rated game this generation! ND's name is the only reason for such high scores!

It is tied with Super Mario 3D World which is a goddamn masterpiece. Both are behind Ocarina of Time 3D, which might be cheating but it's a legit full on remake instead of a port/remaster.

Edit: Was this sarcasm? I suck at internet :(

Javin98

Banned
It is tied with Super Mario 3D World which is a goddamn masterpiece. Both are behind Ocarina of Time 3D, which might be cheating but it's a legit full on remake instead of a port/remaster.
It is also tied with MGSV, which, if you asked GAF this time last year, a lot of people would say was a shit game. My point is, GAF is a community of hyperbolic man children.

Yes, it was satire, but my intention was to compile the most common (irrational) conplaints I've seen on GAF to mirror the hyperbole here. ;)

It is also tied with MGSV, which, if you asked GAF this time last year, a lot of people would say was a shit game. My point is, GAF is a community of hyperbolic man children.

Yes, it was satire, but my intention was to compile the most common (irrational) conplaints I've seen on GAF to mirror the hyperbole here. ;)

Yeah it never ceases to amaze me how over the top the video game community is as whole. If something is not perfect then it's a piece of shit lol.

When I was a kid I used to have a Ninja Gaiden Tiger Electronics handheld and it makes me wonder if something like that dropped today how the reactions would be. I think some people might flat out die.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Guys i know that you like to hate vita but be honest once in a while, this is the screengrab of the vita recent releases page
image.png

in the last 90 days alone 33 games were released but most of them don't have enough reviews so they aren't counted, it happens for all the other platforms too but vita games are usually more ignored by reviewers(all those games with the grey box with "tbd" aren't counted), so just consider those numbers as you consider metacritic average scores :p

Top Bottom