• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear jumped the shark after MGS 4

Trumpets

With Metal Gear Solid 4, Kojima managed the almost impossible task of tying up most of the loose ends from the previous mainline games (MG 1&2, MGS 1-3), and created a satisfying conclusion to a silly, fun, rambling plot that had coagulated over the previous 20 years. Old Snake hobbled off into the distance and the series was OVER.

But Kojima just couldn't leave well alone. He started looking for gaps in the MG timeline big enough for him to stuff more games into, and so we ended up with Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain, all set in the 70s and 80s.

Now, I understand that some people like these games, but as someone who enjoyed the series for the story as much as the playing of it, that whole loose trilogy does nothing that I want from MGS.

Paz, Chico and the shitty Phantom Pain versions of Master Miller and Ocelot are all bad, and the more Kojima tried to write and direct in a more 'mature' style the worse he got, culminating in the narrative shit-show that is Phantom Pain. And I don't buy this idea that GZ and TPP play way better than the earlier games, because I certainly didn't enjoy them half as much as the old Splinter Cells.

Tagyhag

and created a satisfying conclusion to a silly, fun, rambling plot that had coagulated over the previous 20 years.

We'll just agree to disagree.

He concluded it, I'll leave it at that.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
GZ and TPP definitely play a hell out of a lot better than the older MGS games, you have one more control over Snake and the gameplay mechanics are way less binary and restrictive. That much is a given, speaking of, Metal Gear jumped the shark the moment a fucking arm possessed Ocelot because nanomachines son.

Toa TAK

Banned
GZ and TPP definitely play a hell out of a lot better than the older MGS games, you have one more control over Snake and the gameplay mechanics are way less binary and restrictive. That much is a given, speaking of, Metal Gear jumped the shark the moment a fucking arm possessed Ocelot because nanomachines son.
I will never get over this.

Platy

3 is awesome, but ...

xndMI15.jpg

Protome

To this day MGS4 is the most disappointing game I've ever played. Such a massive decline in quality from its predecessors and then the games which followed at least managed to improve the gameplay if not the story.

At least Phantom Pain's shorter story meant we didn't get shit like the awful wedding scene from MGS4 or something on par with
Big Boss, a man who had been dead for decades, showing up and conveniently tying up all the loose ends together.

I love the MGS story and was also disappointed with how lacking MGSV was in that department but lets not pretend that MGS4's story was anything better just because there was more of it.

Alienous

MGS1-MGS3 were quirky. MGS4 was a rambling crazy mess, and only Ground Zeroes managed to stay conherent after that point.

MGS4 jumped the shark with glee.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I do agree that the more "mature" the stories got the worse they became, holy shit I will never get over how misogynistic MGSV's story is and that Kojima tried to say shit like this:

“If we don’t cross that line, if we don’t make attempts to express what we really want to express, games will only be games,” he said.

“If we don’t try to go beyond that, we won’t be able to achieve what movies or novels have achieved. I didn’t want to stay away from these things that could be considered sensitive. If we don’t go that far, games will never be considered as culture.”

Vagina nukes, borderline nude mute snipers, and some of the most voyeuristic cinematography i've ever seen in recent game media is NOT how games are gonna be considered culture Kojima.

NZerker12

After? Hahahaha. No.

MGS3 had a guy who can control and shoot hornets, a guy who can dislocate and relocate his limps and can run and jump around trees, a guy who when defeated turns into a giant fireball, a guy who can use photosynthesis, a guy who is a ghost and has ESP and a guy who can control and use electricity.

So honestly Kojima jumped the shark years ago and thats why we all love Metal Gear because its batshit crazy. If anything I found the games after MGS4 more grounded than the previous games.

Hey I agree. None of what's in these post-MGS4 games has any bearing on 1-4 and so they've been easy to ignore. Too bad the fanbase scared Kojima off from introducing a new character a la 2 to continue the future timeline instead retconning the shit out of BB and his crew.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Metal Gear is a series about jumping the shark and exceeding your wildest expectations at every turn, it's in its very core.

Drayco21

It feels like the series jumped the shark from the first Solid game to me. It was all dumb anime bullshit from then on.

Fun ridiculous dumb anime bullshit sure, but 4 felt like a pretty natural continuation of the previous game's stupid.

-shadow-

The series jumped the missle as stated above me far before 4 ever happened. And honestly, I absolutely love it!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I can see the point. Though I don't like a lot about MGS4, it did wrap up the entire saga. Then PW+V ripped it open again and left some stuff unfinished (ie the fate of Liquid after V).

It amuses me that people call out 4's story and say "Nah man, 4 ruined it... It's all about the original trilogy." As if Metal Gear Solid 2's batshit insane story never happened.

I agree with the OP. It should have been left alone after 4. The Phanton Pain should have been a new IP.

Espada

MGS1-MGS3 were quirky. MGS4 was a rambling crazy mess, and only Ground Zeroes managed to stay conherent after that point.

MGS4 jumped the shark with glee.

I think this is a good summary of the series. MGS4 was the first game in the series where the industry went from showering the games (and Kojima) with effusive praise to being increasingly critical of them.

Top Bottom