• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
MadWorld is easily Platinum's worst game. It is the only mediocre / bad game they've made. Anarchy Reign has a really neat campaign and the multiplayer is great aside from some implementation errors.

I disagree I enjoyed Madworld's single player alot more than Anarchy's. Anarchy's campaign is such a throw away mode it's not even comparable to anything else they'e ever done.

I say this as someone who's Platinum'd every mission in the thing as well. It's really half baked.(if they were going to do the side choice thing, they definitely should have had some variance on the two campaigns depending on whether they're first or last.)

Madworld had a much more focused and better designed single player(even if the concept itself is a little weak) and a far more interesting and cohesive art direction. and unlike Anarchy the meat of the game isn't dependent on an existing player base/internet connection.

I really like all their games but Anarchy is their weakest by far for me.

Vanquish is cool though, but as someone who typically dislikes console shooters I can understand why people wouldn't think it's the greatest thing ever.(Only PG game I haven't tackled all the content in simply because I don't like/am garbage at console shooters.)

AlexBasch

I know it's not the thread for it, but after the patch, was Bayonetta playable on the PS3? I recall hearing about some heavy issues back when it was released. I'm curious about it, but you know, just to be sure.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I know it's not the thread for it, but after the patch, was Bayonetta playable on the PS3? I recall hearing about some heavy issues back when it was released. I'm curious about it, but you know, just to be sure.

You'll be fine. Play it

KorrZ

Really enjoyed the demo. Between this and DmC it's a pretty good year for action games already! Did I miss something though or is there no move list? I really hope that's just because this is a demo.

Also about the parry...I picked it up pretty quickly but it seemed kind of annoying. I was able to parry the panther boss about 90% of the time with ease, but then he'd just get bounced back out of my reach and I'd have to parry again. I'd much prefer a quick dodge/immediate follow up attack. Am I missing something with the parry as well?

chrono01

It is absolutely playable, and extremely...extremely enjoyable. Play through it once, no twice...no thrice, you will not regret it. Just be sure to install the game after you patch it.

Yes it might not run as smoothly as the 360 version, or the textures might not be as sharp, but unless you're literally comparing them side-by-side it's not an issue. I played through the whole thing from start-to-finish and the game was perfectly playable. If you only have a PS3 do not let the difference in quality between that and the 360 version stop for from experiencing what, I believe to be, one of the best [if not THE best] Action games of all time.

AlexBasch

Oh.

I do remember hearing LOTS OF TROUBLE, THIS IS FUCKING GARBAGE and UNPLAYABLE MESS back in the day, but had no idea if it was just hyperbole or if the PS3 version was that bad.

Still have a 360, but PS3 is my main console at the moments. Thanks for the input guys. :D

EDIT: Oh, and I managed to take down the dog. Moving the stick towards the attack and pressing square was easy as hell. Can't recall the exact description of parrying but it was somewhat confusing in-game. I think it's even more lenient than God of War.

branny

I'm not really sure I'm feeling the scoring system in this game. It feels like a slightly more annoying version of the one found in the Mega Man Zero games (where you were still allowed a stray hit here and there, and where amount of enemies killed as a factor makes more sense than in MGR).

I don't really see why there has to be an enemy killed counter unless there are a lot of situations in the actual game where you are running through areas or getting fodder enemies killed by collateral damage.

I also don't understand why the BP requirement for the first group of three baddies is so high (400~600 BP nets you 500 points only--really, what the heck is the BP requirement for 1000 in that battle?), while getting like 200 BP for the next fight gives you the full 1000. It's also stupid that you only seem to get extra mid-battle BP from chopping off limbs in blade mode.

I wonder if each encounter is tailored with some sort of specific, "ideal" goal. I like that saving the hostage just gives full points because you can go about killing everyone else however you like.

And forcing zandatsus...meh. I like how you can get 6000 and theoretically slack on some areas, but still. Maybe if all of the scoring components weren't so closely linked to one another it wouldn't bother me as much.

Jenga

Banned
madworld has a great SP but the combat itself was lacking

godhand had a fun sp with fun gameplay, so it's my favorite

vanquish was alright

madworld has a great SP but the combat itself was lacking

godhand had a fun sp with fun gameplay, so it's my favorite

vanquish was alright
I feel with Vanquish that they tried too hard to balance it, thus making the melee attacks kill your AR meter (or w/e it was called). Probably the best TPS on consoles but I feel they limited the crazy for western audiences...

Really enjoyed the demo. Between this and DmC it's a pretty good year for action games already! Did I miss something though or is there no move list? I really hope that's just because this is a demo.

Also about the parry...I picked it up pretty quickly but it seemed kind of annoying. I was able to parry the panther boss about 90% of the time with ease, but then he'd just get bounced back out of my reach and I'd have to parry again. I'd much prefer a quick dodge/immediate follow up attack. Am I missing something with the parry as well?

To help everyone out who's still going throught the demo, here's some PS3 info on attacks that can help out. Most of the Special move info is from the video FlashBlade has been mentioning (thanks for keeping that up). It's worth watching it just to see how these are supposed to practically work too.
(Posting a lot of this from memory and a little research, call out something if you think it's wrong)

Special Moves
(unofficial names made on the fly; at least they look cool)

Fwd + Square = Parry (also in the air)

Fwd Fwd + Square = Launch

Fwd Fwd + Triangle = Dashing strike

360 Rotation + Triangle = Spinning Slash

X + Square = Evasion (optional direction)

Bk + Fwd + Square = Palm Strike

Bk + Fwd + Triangle = Blade Sweep

Ninja Run + Square = Quick Slash

Ninja Run + Triangle = Slide

Ninja Run + Triangle + Square/Triangle (Slide + Ground slam)

Jump + Triangle = Dive Kick

Some Combos (from GameFAQs)
unconfirmed for right now, will give all a try and update soon.

Square (repeatedly) = unlimited light attacks

Triangle (repeatedly) = unlimited heavy attacks

Triangle (delay) + Square + Triange = Sweep 'n' Strike

Triangle + Triangle + Square + Triangle

Triangle + Triangle + Triangle + Square + Triangle

Square + Triangle (delay) + Square + Triangle

Triangle + Square + Triangle

(there's one or two, or more jump combos off of launcher, I'll post those later when I can confirm them again)

Tips

-Don't forget that with blade mode, you have the option of using square(horizontal)/triangle(vertical) strikes instead of the analog stick. Although, I get the feeling that correct aiming with the analog will really come in handy later in the game.

-Unless you're looking to get S ranking in everything, you might try experimenting with Blade Mode. Sadistic as it is, cutting off limbs and leaving the torso to walk or crawl in agony is pretty cool.

-The most opportune time to use Blade mode is when you've got a stunned opponent. Once the attack slows down and the guy glows orange, start cutting.

-Triangle + Circle gives you a stylish finishing attempt on an enemy once he/it's stunned.

-Stealth-killing is mostly getting above or behind a cyborg or gekko and hitting the button prompt.

How to be a BADASS in Rising Demo
http://youtu.be/xYGIRVeVY24?t=1m7s <---MGSR TUTORIAL on Moveset
(In Japanese, but you can figure out which buttons represent the moves)
http://youtu.be/IabHyQJA9-w <- Konami tutorial
afbr6c.gif

quoted for this page

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Preface: I fucking love the demo.

But I think that at this point there are a lot of design problems from the mechanics upwards that need to be addressed for the game to remain interesting and not fall into a place where the combat becomes very formulaic and disregards the importance of variety as someone in this thread mentioned earlier. That makes me worried because people here are speculating and hoping that the upgrade system and the higher difficulty settings will solve the problems related to Zandatsu, etc., but I'm not confident they'll go far enough to do so.

Also, from what it looks like, the game may be a bit light on content. It would be cool though if one of the VR missions was an action-game interpretation of the The End boss battle.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Oh.

I do remember hearing LOTS OF TROUBLE, THIS IS FUCKING GARBAGE and UNPLAYABLE MESS back in the day, but had no idea if it was just hyperbole or if the PS3 version was that bad.

Still have a 360, but PS3 is my main console at the moments. Thanks for the input guys. :D

EDIT: Oh, and I managed to take down the dog. Moving the stick towards the attack and pressing square was easy as hell. Can't recall the exact description of parrying but it was somewhat confusing in-game. I think it's even more lenient than God of War.

PS3 Bayonetta is a big disappointment when held up to the 360 version, but it's still very playable and a shitload of fun. You say you have a 360 (which I guess you're not necessarily going to hold on to or something) but you should play the game on it if that's an option. Otherwise, PS3 still gets the job done.

The block (i.e. too early parry) is more lenient than God of War, but the perfectly timed parry with counterattack is more strict.

I hope the full game will include no-kill ability (cut off arms and legs, I did that in the demo but was trapped with the guys crawling around and had to kill them to continue) and a sufficient amount of decent quality stealth-able sections.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PS3 Bayonetta is a big disappointment when held up to the 360 version, but it's still very playable and a shitload of fun. You say you have a 360 (which I guess you're not necessarily going to hold on to or something) but you should play the game on it if that's an option. Otherwise, PS3 still gets the job done.

The block (i.e. too early parry) is more lenient than God of War, but the perfectly timed parry with counterattack is more strict.
Now that I think of it, on higher difficulties they should restrict parries to the counterattack versions only.

branny

I hope the full game will include no-kill ability (cut off arms and legs, I did that in the demo but was trapped with the guys crawling around and had to kill them to continue) and a sufficient amount of decent quality stealth-able sections.
Minor spoiler?
There's supposed to be a wooden sword in the game that lets you play nonlethally.

Now that I think of it, on higher difficulties they should restrict parries to the counterattack versions only.
I'd be okay with that. Since Easy in the demo just seems to make things hurt you less, I'm worried the harder difficulties will be pretty boring, especially if there are no new restrictions, enemy configurations, more aggressive AI, or something.

Now let me jus go on overhere n download dis here demo there of dem metal ninja gear r...

....ooooooooohh
omg

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I think I'd prefer the enemies to attack faster or more often rather than completely losing the ability to block. I don't know, it's hard to make that judgment just based on the demo.

I think it would pose a problem in situations like the dog boss, where he does that tail-lash attack and you can parry it multiple times, but it's not very clear when the *perfect* time(s) would be.

I think it's better to have a steady curve, even if it's a condensed one. Not having the parry timing be exactly when the attack hits Raiden is probably the smartest thing P* did with the mechanic, because you'll have to do it extremely early and slowly ease into the sweet spot for certain attacks until you're confident that you won't do it too late. I'm seeing pretty good odds for vastly shortened timing windows and maybe removal of UI cues, but if how the mechanic works against blade wolf is any indication I think P* only wants the counterhit version to actually reward the player instead of resetting to neutral like blocks do. I think all-or-nothing on parries will be way less interesting.

Oh.

360 is waaaaaaay better, since it has 60fps. I know people who kept their Xboxes solely to play Bayonetta after they moved over to PS3, it's worth it. You can download it off xbox live as well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Minor spoiler?
There's supposed to be a wooden sword in the game that lets you play nonlethally.

I'd be okay with that. Since Easy in the demo just seems to make things hurt you less, I'm worried the harder difficulties will be pretty boring, especially if there are no new restrictions, enemy configurations, more aggressive AI, or something.
I think harder difficulties will have all that, I'm just worried that you'll need to or have to OCD Zandatsu every enemy to get S rank or survive. That doesn't sound entertaining to me. Sometimes I want to just flow in the combat without breaks, sometimes I want to break/recharge/style on fools in Blade mode. I don't want to fall into a rigid rhythm of doing things. I think this could've been avoided if only certain or random enemies were Zandatsu-able.

And if that spoiler is true, that'd be pretty damn awesome. I'd wonder how that'd work in
blade mode

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Arozay

Just beat the demo, I enjoyed it, although it feels a bit weird/sloppy without being able to block. Once I found out about the dodge and parry it got easy. Also didn't realise that I could blade mode when the big ass symbol popped up. And does circle really have no purpose outside of the finisher prompt/interact?

Risette

A Good Citizen
360 is waaaaaaay better, since it has 60fps. I know people who kept their Xboxes solely to play Bayonetta after they moved over to PS3, it's worth it. You can download it off xbox live as well.
Doesn't it have tearing?

e: lol wrong game thought you were talking about MGR god i'm tired

Revven

I played it a second time. Still loving it. I don't really mind how the combat is in the demo, I do kinda hope they add more moves or something though. The slide is SO GOOD.

Duffyside

Banned
Just beat the demo, I enjoyed it, although it feels a bit weird/sloppy without being able to block. Once I found out about the dodge and parry it got easy. Also didn't realise that I could blade mode when the big ass symbol popped up. And does circle really have no purpose outside of the finisher prompt/interact?

What's the dodge? Do you just mean ninja run? That doesn't work though unless you're already running, right?

It'll probably be for the secondary weapons you acquire from the bosses, sort of like how circle was the "style" button in DMC3 and 4.
What's the dodge? Do you just mean ninja run? That doesn't work though unless you're already running, right?
jump+light attack and a direction gets you a dodging slash with a ton of invincibility.

Demo is still ridiculous. Just fought Bladewolf like 5 times in a row by restarting checkpoint each time after I killed him.

Picking this up on PS3. 360 has way too much tearing and the extra hit effects are almost non-existent in motion.

Duffyside

Banned
Oh.

If we're talking about Bayonetta, I bought the 360 version because of the PS3 problems. Then, since I don't play the 360 much, I played the game much later, and enjoyed it so much that I bought it again for the PS3 because I wanted to Platinum it (I only Platinum games I love). 1 Playthrough on 360, 3 on PS3.

So, the PS3 version was good enough for me to go through it multiple times even after experiencing the noticeably better 360 version. But, the PS3 version is still simply "good enough."

Hope that helps? If you don't care about trophies, and just want to play the game at its best, get the 360. Hands-down.

Dave_6

Played it for around an hour and got the hang of it (or about 80% I'd say). So satisfying to pull off some of the moves, especially the slide into blade time. I usually suck at these type of games but I'm willing to buy this day one.

Played it for around an hour and got the hang of it (or about 80% I'd say). So satisfying to pull off some of the moves, especially the slide into blade time. I usually suck at these type of games but I'm willing to buy this day one.

Same. GoW is really the only character action franchise I dabble in since its less actiony than normal, but Rising has me hooked. Love how its not too combo heavy (I'm poor at remembering button strings sometimes lol).

Riposte

Oh man, those heavier grunts are selling me on the game. Well, I was already sold but I was afraid they didn't care about parry being too good.

I disagree I enjoyed Madworld's single player alot more than Anarchy's. Anarchy's campaign is such a throw away mode it's not even comparable to anything else they'e ever done.

Anarchy has better enemies/AI (within missions, anyway) and a much better combat system. It has hard mode from the start too. For these reasons it trounces MadWorld. The campaign also has a lot of variety to go along with some pretty good boss fights which is a nice bonus on top of it being competent (which MadWorld wasn't).

EDIT: If you just want to fight the boss over and over again to get a higher score, you pause and restart while it is showing your score.

Astral

I need to use the dodge more. I parried two guys at the same time, made them dizzy, dodge the third guy's attack, ended up behind them and cut them all in half with 2 clean cuts. It was beautiful.

branny

I'd just like to add that I love how the game slows down when enemies are defeated. It's a really clear visual cue to let you know that it's time to move on to the next opponent.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Anarchy has better enemies/AI (within missions, anyway) and a much better combat system. It has hard mode from the start too. For these reasons it trounces MadWorld. The campaign also has a lot of variety to go along with some pretty good boss fights which is a nice bonus on top of it being competent (which MadWorld wasn't).

Anarchy's campaign was just a mess to me.

Overworld stages being just the multiplayer maps with nothing to do in it after you get the concept art and 100 kill bonus(in contrast to Madworld's being very interactive and worth exploring at times) connecting a bunch of multiplayer AI bot encounters with a bunch of random hit or miss minigames comparable to the Baron ones in Madworld.

and half of that stuff doesn't even change between difficulty levels. Outside of enemy health and damage, which ends up doing nothing but making scoring easier on hard. lol

but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Day two and I am still getting my ass handed to me. I don't get it. I know about the parry and dodge but it's just not working for me. Any tips? Gekkos still kick my ass even when I'm one on one with them.

In this video how exactly is he not taking damage? Is he dodging or jumping? During the second gekko kick how does he remain safe and end up in the air so quickly to slice him?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsMLNHB0w1I

Day two and I am still getting my ass handed to me. I don't get it. I know about the parry and dodge but it's just not working for me. Any tips? Gekkos still kick my ass even when I'm one on one with them.
Attack them with aerial attacks, and when the obvious tell (leg glows orange) that they are about to attack you can mash parry and you'll block their attack.

Top Bottom