• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Reviewgeance thread of reviews and EatChildren

Esura

Banned
Do you finish games once and throw them in the trash afterwards?

Not sure about him but I usually only play a game once unless its a fighting game or if I have nothing else to play. I generally go from one game to the other when I finish them.

monome

So far, I think critics are fair.

Rising is no Bayonetta (nor Vanquish, like an offspring of the two but rushed or not fully realised), and the camera is...in the way. Not bad, but not great either.

I like the game though, and pleased with its february release.
Every gamer with some pocket money ought to buy it.

Tookay

Didn't this same thing happen with Bayonetta, MadWorld, and Vanquish? A lot of "3-5 hour game!" talk in reviews.

Yep, you recall correctly.

It's definitely Platinum's curse... which, I suppose, could be easily addressed if they gave a proper clock to their games, but ultimately I think the onus is on journalists to observe the natural world and see something's amiss.

And for any journalist who's still hung up on the time because the game is short, regardless of any misreporting of the game clock, there's no helping them. That sort of mentality that everything has to be "X length" to have "value" is pretty silly, especially in games that are deep/rewarding enough to encourage multiple playthroughs.

Carbonox

I don't understand how that PlayStation Lifestyle review gets through or how the site even gets counted as a reviewer? Forgetting the ludicrous content of the review for a second, it reads like it was written by some bitter 7 year old Metal Gear Solid fan who's still reeling from Kojima's decision to end Snake's story in MGS4. Otherwise every random fan site review should be counted.

PlayStation Lifestyle is as 'amateur fansite' as you get.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think the regular "play then trade" consumer should realize that these games are intended to be explored and played through multiple times. That's why such care is given to the harder difficulties and New Game +, as opposed to say, Gears of War or Dead Space where they just boost the damage taken and health/aggressiveness of your enemies. Remixed enemy groupings, different A.I., new movesets... it makes each playthrough unique, engaging, and challenging.

That's just a part of this genre.

mollipen

I find it crazy that anyone would have found Bayonetta to be too short, as I ended up thinking the game was about two hours too long. *heh*

I finished Bayonetta and Vanquish in two work days. Now I have both sitting at around 100hrs. I love how nobody complains about the campaigns of other games like cod. They're also not longer than 5hrs. Sure there is the multiplayer.

But if you're the kind of guy, who only plays for the story it doesn't offer you more. If you're into action games like rising, higher difficulties and VR missions are your multiplayer.

I usually finish them once and then trade them in to Amazon. I'll never pay $60 for a five hour game.
NGB I have played for over 60 hours, NG2 across versions more than 100, DMC3 100+ over the years, Bayonetta 60+, Vanquish 40+, Hard Corps Uprising 30+, and etc.

I have never played a Bethesda game for more than 10 or so hours because they never justify their length. Action games with high difficulty (or immaculate scoring like DMC3/DMC4) will get more playtime out of me than any bloated game that was built to not be replayed or mastered.

Nemesis_

So DmC is better. I bought the right game.

ibvGxQhEEyzQDx.gif

ib2HTNR9lWTQyV.gif

You just got trolled.

Edit: Beaten

Oh.

ibrNqflzPi9hDG.gif

Let me go update the OP with even MORE reviews.

Liamario

Banned
So, if you like platinum games, you're going to love this.
Otherwise, the game is fun but lacking in replayability.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Why do both the negative outlier reviews for the PS3 version basically read "this game was too hard and didn't reward me for being bad"?

So, if you like platinum games, you're going to love this.
Otherwise, the game is fun but lacking in replayability.

No. If nothing else, there's tons of replayability. The first runthrough might be shorter than you expect, though.

I think the regular "play then trade" consumer should realize that these games are intended to be explored and played through multiple times. That's why such care is given to the harder difficulties and New Game +, as opposed to say, Gears of War or Dead Space where they just boost the damage taken and health/aggressiveness of your enemies. Remixed enemy groupings, different A.I., new movesets... it makes each playthrough unique, engaging, and challenging.

That's just a part of this genre.

NGB I have played for over 60 hours, NG2 across versions more than 100, DMC3 100+ over the years, Bayonetta 60+, Vanquish 40+, Hard Corps Uprising 30+, and etc.

I have never played a Bethesda game for more than 10 or so hours because they never justify their length. Action games with high difficulty (or immaculate scoring like DMC3/DMC4 will get more playtime out of me than any bloated game that was built to not be replayed or mastered.

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess this style of game is just not my jam.

El_Chino

This game will forever have one of the most unreliable parrying systems I've ever come a crossed but it's good to see it's doing well.

Pooya

NG games were pretty lengthy, specially NGB with tons of content and misisons. DMC3 was too. Bayonetta is easily 8+ hours in a play through and tons of content after. Vanquish though, that game was a two sitting game with no unlockables or anything, only 6? challenge rooms IIRC. Sure, there is replay value and it might not matter much if the core combat is deep and good but length and variety did exist in this genre and its top games. Of course a game like DMC4 is a poor way to extend gameplay time, it would be better for it to be shorter then, but it wasn't like this genre always been a 4-5 hour thing in a play through with little variety, we just haven't had a really good one for a while.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Nice scores for a game that was made under a tight deadline. Do we know how long the game was in developement by Platinum? 18 months? less?

It's cool to see such a nice reception for Kenji Saito's first game, hope to see another from him in the future.

Nice scores for a game that was made under a tight deadline. Do we know how long the game was in developement by Platinum? 18 months? less?

It's cool to see such a nice reception for Kenji Saito's first game, hope to see another from him in the future.

Just over a year if we go by what kojima says in the rising documentary. Can't link it right now as I'm stepping out but he says that earlier that year he approached platinum games.

the doc was released December 2011

amazing.

Liamario

Banned
Why do both the negative outlier reviews for the PS3 version basically read "this game was too hard and didn't reward me for being bad"?

No. If nothing else, there's tons of replayability. The first runthrough might be shorter than you expect, though.
I'm just skimming through some of the review quotes. It's a short game and will be for me. I don't tend to replay games. While it might be something you're into- its not for me.

That said, is there something in particular that's new that makes a replay worthwhile?

I mean, it kind of explains why the environments are so drab and repetitious, but yeah, the game is pretty fantastic for such a short development cycle. So impressive.
Inaba said there was a very tight deadline for this game. And they'd love to show the true Platinum in a sequel. Imagine what a game they could make with much more time.

Nemesis_

Inaba said there was a very tight deadline for this game. And they'd love to show the true Platinum in a sequel. Imagine what a game they could make with much more time.

Yeah, you're right. I know that Platinum's design philosophy isn't about sequels, apparently, but I think they should try really hard. This has super potential to be something even better than the stuff they've put out before.

Mind you Bayonetta 2 already kind of ruined that design philosophy lol

I do feel like the stealth aspects are left overs from the original version of the game.

Seik

Banned
''Metal Gear Rising: Reviewgeance thread of reviews and EatChildren''

This thread got reviews alright, but it ain't got no EatChildren. :p

Nemesis_

''Metal Gear Rising: Reviewgeance thread of reviews and EatChildren''

This thread got reviews alright, but it ain't got no EatChildren. :p

I was going to make it "and Ninja Dreary's tears" or "and DmC crying" but there are some pressed individuals who would make me change it anyway. :(

Top Bottom