• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Reviewgeance thread of reviews and EatChildren

Brad Shoemaker playing RE6.

That whole thing really made me lose a lot of respect for giantbomb. I don't like to join in on the comments making fun of their gaming ability but such incompetence in figuring out the mechanics of a game just blows my mind. Especially combined with Brad going on about how you couldn't dodge enemies and then blowing off responses about the roll's purpose.

Wouldn't normally care one way or another but when reviewing a game and certainly when slandering it constantly, not knowing what one is doing just comes off as bad to me.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
OPM UK said:
Sadly, the combat doesn’t have enough depth to trouble the genre’s best (it certainly can’t touch Ninja Theory’s DmC reboot)

WmH1DqC.jpg

Also it really is alarming how shit at life these game journalists who have no perception of time are. It says a number on the screen, so I'll just believe that 100% even though my butt knows its been sat here for 7-9 hours!

That whole thing really made me lose a lot of respect for giantbomb. I don't like to join in on the comments making fun of their gaming ability but such incompetence in figuring out the mechanics of a game just blows my mind. Especially combined with Brad going on about how you couldn't dodge enemies and then blowing off responses about the roll's purpose.

Wouldn't normally care one way or another but when reviewing a game and certainly when slandering it constantly, not knowing what one is doing just comes off as bad to me.

To be fair, even most ardent RE6 defenders, admit that the game does a poor job teaching you this mechanics.

Also, this really needs to be "a RE6 is totally fine guys, is like Vanquish" thread?

Mdk7

are you the guy who gave Re6 9?
Nope. I'm the one that gave 8.5 to DmC, in case you wanna bash me with a virtual sledgehammer. :D

Yeah, DmC is overall a way better game than Rising to me. And of course i'd have NEVER imagined something like this could ever happen

zainetor

Banned
Nope. I'm the one that gave 8.5 to DmC, in case you wanna bash me with a virtual sledgehammer. :D

Yeah, DmC is overall a way better game than Rising to me. And of course i'd have NEVER imagined something like this could ever happen

no, just wanted to know. If you didn't like rising, you have your reasons.
I don't really think they can be compared too much. Rising is kind of its own thing.

To be fair, even most ardent RE6 defenders, admit that the game does a poor job teaching you this mechanics.

Also, this really needs to be "a RE6 is totally fine guys, is like Vanquish" thread?

I'm one of those people and the lack of a proper tutorial is mind-boggling but to get that far without figuring those things out is just unacceptable. If it was a Vanquish sized game I could understand but RE6 is incredibly lengthy, at some point you should figure out what buttons did what. I figured out how to roll and slide within a minute of playing the demo, so the people who played the entire game without it just confuse me. I just can't relate to that lack of desire to discover the mechanics of a game. And as a reviewer that should be even stronger than just some guy buying the game out of interest.

Shinjica

In longevity how much have you give to DmC?

Fabrik

Banned
From all the video reviews I've seen so far plus the demo, this game seems to be everything I look in a video-game. I honestly don't see any flaws in the gameplay.

I'm one of those people and the lack of a proper tutorial is mind-boggling but to get that far without figuring those things out is just unacceptable. If it was a Vanquish sized game I could understand but RE6 is incredibly lengthy, at some point you should figure out what buttons did what. I figured out how to roll and slide within a minute of playing the demo, so the people who played the entire game without it just confuse me. I just can't relate to that lack of desire to discover the mechanics of a game. And as a reviewer that should be even stronger than just some guy buying the game out of interest.

Maybe because he didn't liked it? Is not like rolling particulary changed the perception of that game for him. But like I said, thats another topic...

Maybe because he didn't liked it? Is not like rolling particulary changed the perception of that game for him. But like I said, thats another topic...

I meant in a more broad manner, not just in regards to the rolling(or the many other mechanics ignored). But yes, don't want to start a tangent in the middle of this thread involving a different set of issues.

For people playing, is it constantly 60FPS and on the PS3 are the cutscenes completely uncompressed?

Sojgat

Then don't make it one. It's just a very similar situation where a journalist has failed to perceive a crucial evade mechanic.

Video game control schemes have become so standardized, that as soon as something is done differently some reviewers miss it altogether. If the Game Revolution reviewer concluded that MGR doesn't have a dodge move just because it isn't assigned a dedicated button, then he wasn't experimenting with the controls enough (kind of a prerequisite when playing action games) and should learn to do his job better.

Could be a similar thing happening here, the reviewer isn't enjoying the game, so he doesn't want to dig deeper into it's mechanics. Since it seems like on normal you can mash your way through MGR (probably an attempt to make the game accessible for Metal Gear fans who aren't into into action games so much), that's probably all he did. Journalists who review games for a living need to be more professional, and objective with their approach.

Looking good. I don't expect the average reviewer to give me the kind of info I wanna know with this type of game. That aside, the non-gameplay stuff sounds pretty sweet.

There's a 3rd game?! WHEN WAS THIS?

Heh, I think it came out March 2012. Of course there wasn't much advertising for it. There is, from what I've heard, a significantly enhanced version coming out April 2013 if I heard correctly. I liked NG3 and had a lot of fun with it, but it had some serious issues, especially when you compared it to NG1 and NG2.

Hopefully, I can get MGS:R this week. The demo was great. Even if this was scoring 3's and 4's across the board, I will still be very interested in it.

Then don't make it one. It's just a very similar situation where a journalist has failed to perceive a crucial evade mechanic.

Video game control schemes have become so standardized, that as soon as something is done differently some reviewers miss it altogether. If the Game Revolution reviewer concluded that MGR doesn't have a dodge move just because it isn't assigned a dedicated button, then he wasn't experimenting with the controls enough (kind of a prerequisite when playing action games) and should learn to do his job better.

"I'm right. You are wrong. " ¿?

Could be a similar thing happening here, the reviewer isn't enjoying the game, so he doesn't want to dig deeper into it's mechanics. Since it seems like on normal you can mash your way through MGR (probably an attempt to make the game accessible for Metal Gear fans who aren't into into action games so much), that's probably all he did. Journalists who review games for a living need to be more professional, and objective with their approach.

What will you consider objective? Because the way you implied seems pretty unreasonable even in reviews of another mediums.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My review will be up in a bit but I highly recommend this game. A lot of fun to play and a crazy plot. One of Platinum's best for sure.

OPM UK said:
Sadly, the combat doesn’t have enough depth to trouble the genre’s best (it certainly can’t touch Ninja Theory’s DmC reboot)

Oh wow, that... why did they even have to call DmC in? It's like they're trying to force on us the idea that DmC is good.

In any case, can't wait for Rising.

I didn't see this one, but I might very well be blind.

The Guardian - 5/5.

It's a really well written piece.

Rowdy, animated and exhaustingly vigorous, Metal Gear Rising is a game that retains the capacity for stealth, but actively encourages players to rush in, katana blazing. The Metal Gear myth has never before appeared so agile, fresh and youthful, but more than the setting its Platinum's virtuoso coders that shine throughout, the object slicing a marvel of high-speed 3D manipulation. A technical masterpiece, Rising offers a funfair ride approximation of Konami's brooding series, but one with more than enough capacity for the Bayonetta veteran to express their dexterous expertise.

Gbraga

He's a reviewer, he should be able to figure out the game's mechanics so he can talk about them.

It's fair to criticize a game for lacking a proper tutorial, it isn't fair to criticize a game for things that are just not true, like the lack of a dodge move for MGR or "random knockdowns and being on the floor for too long once you're knocked down" for RE6 (yes, that happened)

That's why you'd expect a reviewer to be able to explore the game's mechanics.

Of course this is not the case and everyone should know that by now, so there's no reason to be surprised at all.

GiantBomb - 4 / 5

Metal Gear Rising is a short game. My first time through on normal took an afternoon, and that includes watching all of the cutscenes and dying three or four times along the way. The game keeps a clock that tracks your best times through each area and removes cutscene time. So, if you subtract the time I spent seeing the story and replaying parts where I died, it took me a little over four hours of gameplay to get to the end.

If you're the type of person who thrives on getting S-ranks in every single combat chapter and wants to play through on all four difficulty settings, you'll find plenty to do. But if you're just here to see the story, it's a little thin. I didn't find it to be criminally short, though, and artificially lengthening the game would make the issue of seeing the same zandatsu kills over and over again far worse. It's about as long as it needs to be to wring everything out of its mechanics.

So it's actually 4 hours on Normal.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The scores are about what I expected. Will pick up when it's cheap likely. I wonder if the PC rumors will pan out. That would be something.

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/mj-laughing.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

I don't really care about being a ref but I think this gif was mentioned as something that can get you banned. Telling you for your own benefit.

Bedlam

So it's actually 4 hours on Normal.
Add to that 1-2 hours of cutscenes and retries. I'm fine with that. And since I'm a sucker for collectibles in fun games, there's a lot more value in this game for me. Not to mention the subsequent playthroughs on harder difficulties...

MrDaravon

Reviews sounding on point, although people saying their TOTAL time even accounting for deaths being ~6 hours is a bit shorter than I was expecting. I think my only real kind of bummer is hearing that it's apparently not quite as deep as Bayonetta which I was hoping for.

Reviews sounding on point, although people saying their TOTAL time even accounting for deaths being ~6 hours is a bit shorter than I was expecting. I think my only real kind of bummer is hearing that it's apparently not quite as deep as Bayonetta which I was hoping for.

The demo showed quite a bit of depth, though. It's just not as big on combos as Bayo was - I'd say it's closer to Ninja Gaiden than DMC/Bayonetta.

Bedlam

I'd disagree here. That in game counter is broken. I played total about 10 hours or so and I know 4 of that wasn't cutscenes.

Might depend on the player too.
Most reviewers probably also took the bee-line through the levels, not looking for collectibles and not listening to the optional codec conversations. For example, Jeff said in the QL he skipped most of that stuff.

Sojgat

"I'm right. You are wrong. " ¿?

What?

What will you consider objective? Because the way you implied seems pretty unreasonable even in reviews of another mediums.

Not bothering to explore a game's basic mechanics mainly because you aren't enjoying said game is not maintaining objectivity. Video games aren't any other medium, they're interactive so there's an inherent element of testing and discovery involved. Bored film critics certainly don't leave the cinema half way through, and then complain in their review that a film had no ending.

danmaku

So the game has a limited moveset? that's pretty disappointing, I know it's no Bayonetta but while Ninja Gaiden rewards efficiency over style it still gives you a lot of different weapons and combos to experiment with. The rest seems more or less what I expected.

4-6 hours sounds fine to me. It's just hearing that the enemy variety and bag of tricks stops half-way in EatChildren's review where it doesn't sound as "no filler" as people are claiming.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Probably worth quoting this in full in the topic filled with cries of "4 hours?!":

Inaba said:
About to post some important tweets, so please pay attention. It seems someone posted their MGR results screen and that people (mainly in the West) are shocked it says the clear time is 5.5hr. Here's the truth: First of all, cutscenes ARE NOT INCLUDED in that counter.Next: For every chapter you play in the game, it ONLY COUNTS YOUR FASTEST TIME. It doesn't track your total play time.What that means is if you replay a chapter for 10 hours, but you finally clear it in a time of 10 mins. Only 10 mins will be counted.

So please don't get fixated on that end screen Clear Time being total game time because it is not. As I said, it is not how long you've had the power on playing MGR, it is a record of your best efforts playing the game. We came up with this clear time counting system as a way to fairly evaluate players. It hasn't changed since Bayonetta. However, I will say it is really disappointing that people try to use a single screen in the game to try and create negative buzz.

Top Bottom