• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of The Patriots 2.0 |OT| Kept you waiting, huh?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I've always thought that the real villain of this series was Naomi. I get the overall theme of good and evil being all about perspective, but it seems like everything went to shit once Naomi starting messing around with nanomachines.

-Amon-

As far i can remember in MGS 1 there is no Naomi in game she is only in Codec. She was blond then. (guessing from brighter green hair)

The quote he was referring to comes from the introduction, when she meets Snake for the first time and injects him the nanomachines ( and foxdie too ) i guess.

It's a cutscene from a surveillance camera.

Or maybe comes from one of the first codec conversations with her.

Not that sure anymore.

Ein Bear

There's a really weird disconnect between the end of Act 4 and Act 5.
Raiden straight-up dies at the end of Shadow Moses, he sacrifices himself to save Snake, gets completely crushed by Outer Haven and has a big heroic death sequence full of flashbacks.

Then in Act 5 Otacon's just like "Yeah he's fine." It's almost as if they decided to make Rising in-between finishing Act 4 and starting Act 5.

Maybe it is kind of fitting that she has cancer, when you consider that what she created, Foxdie, is an artificial disease that led to Snake being infected with it. What comes around goes around. Bad karma.

RS4-

Fuck,

wall press 00:01:28
crawling 00:05:06
crouch walk 01:35:39

These are my current stats at the end of act 1 and I left my system on for more than an hour for both the wall press and the crawl, so I guess it screwed up for me as my playtime is at 7 hours. Ugh.

Not sure why they both didn't time properly as I had pressed triangle on a wall; and for the crawl I used an elastic band to maintain the crawl towards a wall

StuBurns

Banned
Raiden straight-up dies at the end of Shadow Moses, he sacrifices himself to save Snake, gets completely crushed by Outer Haven and has a big heroic death sequence full of flashbacks.

Then in Act 5 Otacon's just like "Yeah he's fine." It's almost as if they decided to make Rising in-between finishing Act 4 and starting Act 5.
Rising was a prequel for years, it wouldn't have mattered if he'd have died.

I'm playing MGS2 HD. I've not really touched MGS2 since the Substance rerelease, but it is probably the game I've completely more than any other. I'm surprised how well I remember it, every room, item placement (although not the specific items strangely), enemy placement, enemy movement patterns, practically everything.

Fuck,

wall press 00:01:28
crawling 00:05:06
crouch walk 01:35:39

These are my current stats at the end of act 1 and I left my system on for more than an hour for both the wall press and the crawl, so I guess it screwed up for me as my playtime is at 7 hours. Ugh.

Not sure why they both didn't time properly as I had pressed triangle on a wall; and for the crawl I used an elastic band to maintain the crawl towards a wall

Did you exit the area and then enter again followed by you saving after you did all that?

Bolding just because that bit is very important.

Actually, regarding FOXDIE, Naomi mentions that everytime Snake breathes he exhales the nanomachines and this is how the mutated FOXDIE would end up being transmitted. I'm just wondering though (ignoring the after credits scene with Big Boss) would that not mean he has already infected others that are in his presence and turned them into carriers too as they would inhale the nanomachines he has exhaled and thus they would be able to continue mutating and then transmit it too or would the nanomachines be flushed out of their body before it has time to mutate further?

RS4-

Did you exit the area and then enter again followed by you saving after you did all that?

Bolding just because that bit is very important.

Hmm, I believe I did the wall press by the statue (where you get the trophy); so yeah, there's a huge chance I exited the area.

Same thing with the inchworm, I did it inside the militia hideout and definitely exited the area as I was farming rations, cqc, etc.

So, to do it properly, I should perform the time emblem, then save before exiting the area?

Ein Bear

Rising was a prequel for years, it wouldn't have mattered if he'd have died.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Speaking of, I really hope the new Rising at least has one flashback mission or cutscene or something to the original plot... I really wanted to see Raiden rescuing Sunny and getting captured and all cyborged-up in the process.

Hmm, I believe I did the wall press by the statue (where you get the trophy); so yeah, there's a huge chance I exited the area.

Same thing with the inchworm, I did it inside the militia hideout and definitely exited the area as I was farming rations, cqc, etc.

So, to do it properly, I should perform the time emblem, then save before exiting the area?
It only saves if you go to a new area. You probably saved, then continued on. Still same area. Then loaded that same save. Its like entering that area for the first time.
It doesn't save. I found out the hard way too. I'm missing an ipod song, the militia disguise which I did pick up in Act 1. Well, I gotta look for those items again on a new playthrough.

ScOULaris

Yeah, that "Raiden? He'll be fine" line from Otacon at the beginning of Act 5 was like "lolwut?"

It completely deflated what was just previously a rather touching moment of sacrifice. Yeah, that really grinds my gears.

Kojima just didn't want to kill off anyone in this game except for baddies and quasi-baddies (like Naomi). Johnny and Meryl got shot like 50 times during the split-screen while Snake was crawling through the microwave hallway. Even Snake couldn't off himself in the end!

Very odd. It was mentioned previously by Synless (sorry if I got the ID wrong) that he had trouble with the emblem that requires side rolls. He performed 250 and at the end of the act had 0 and it was not recording for some reason. I have a feeling the same thing might be happening here but I've no way to be able to replicate it so can't figure out what the problem might be.

No, it's the exact opposite. In the "Save, Delete, Exit to Title Screen" menu it states
MGS4 said:
[WARNING] All progress upon reaching a checkpoint will be saved. Be aware that items, weapons and Drebin Points acquired AFTER the checkpoint will not be saved.
which means that if you do the requirements and then save and quit, without getting a checkpoint it will act as if you never did the task. If you did exit the area before turning off the game (and saved afterwards) you shouldn't be having a problem.

My suggestion to you is the same that it was then. Start Act 2 and in Cove Valley Village, the first area, make a save. Then, spend fifteen minutes against a wall or in a box. Leave the area to the Power Station and save (DON'T OVERWRITE YOUR PREVIOUS ONE!). After this, quit to the main menu and go to Act 2 Mission Briefing and check your box time/wall-press time. If it has changed you must not have saved correctly in Act 1. If it is still the same I'll try searching for any similar errors.

RS4-

Thanks, I'll definitely do that.

I'm probably missing an ipod track or two as well considering that I wasn't doing the save stuff properly.

edit - I may have screwed up the 25 compliments/50 gifts to the militia as well; for the latter I saved partway through the gift giving and then resumed to hand out the rest.

Any word on when the re-issues with trophies on disc will hit stores? All my local Best Buys and and GS are either out or low on stock. If a re-print is coming out soon I'll just not stress it too much or just order from amazon.

BadWolf

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Speaking of, I really hope the new Rising at least has one flashback mission or cutscene or something to the original plot... I really wanted to see Raiden rescuing Sunny and getting captured and all cyborged-up in the process.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Sunny all grown up in Rising.

From the trailers/teasers it definitely seems like we'll get the back story on Raiden becoming a Cyborg.

Nothing against Platinum but I'm really glad that KojiPro are the one's handling the cutscenes/story.

Thanks, I'll definitely do that.

I'm probably missing an ipod track or two as well considering that I wasn't doing the save stuff properly.

edit - I may have screwed up the 25 compliments/50 gifts to the militia as well; for the latter I saved partway through the gift giving and then resumed to hand out the rest.

Well, check your iPod tracks with the ones listed in the original post at the beginning of Act 2. They're in alphabetical order so they should be in the same order as in the game so it shouldn't take too long to do so, just to be sure.

As for the gifts, if you saved halfway through and then immediately resumed giving out the gifts you should be fine (as in,, you didn't quit the game, exit to the menu or load the save). If you want to be sure, Act 2 contains a significant opportunity to get the gifts and compliments (using a tranquiliser to get them is what I've found works best, provided you kill the enemies afterwards) in the "Confinement Facility" area as a very large amount of enemies respawn there so you can carry on and still get them, it'll just take a bit more grinding. If you have to go off for awhile and are in the middle of farming I strongly suggest you press pause as opposed to exitting, entering and saving before quiting because by pressing pause your time will continue to increase and you'll still be in the middle of farming whatever you were doing. I know that this may not be feasible in many instances, especially if you're gone for a significant amount of time, but it's worth keeping in mind.

RS4-

Well, check your iPod tracks with the ones listed in the original post at the beginning of Act 2. They're in alphabetical order so they should be in the same order as in the game so it shouldn't take too long to do so, just to be sure.

As for the gifts, if you saved halfway through and then immediately resumed giving out the gifts you should be fine (as in,, you didn't quit the game, exit to the menu or load the save). If you want to be sure, Act 2 contains a significant opportunity to get the gifts and compliments (using a tranquiliser to get them is what I've found works best, provided you kill the enemies afterwards) in the "Confinement Facility" area as a very large amount of enemies respawn there so you can carry on and still get them, it'll just take a bit more grinding. If you have to go off for awhile and are in the middle of farming I strongly suggest you press pause as opposed to exitting, entering and saving before quiting because by pressing pause your time will continue to increase and you'll still be in the middle of farming whatever you were doing. I know that this may not be feasible in many instances, especially if you're gone for a significant amount of time, but it's worth keeping in mind.

I've got all the ipod tracks, save for the one that requires the code to unlock.

I'll just continue the game and if I don't get the militia related stuff, I'll do it on my next go around with the game.

Thanks for the help!

Doing the chicken run with your guide (thanks for that).

I wanted to add, that I had problems getting the Militia to cheer for me (Hawk emblem) in the area where you get the MkII. I killed some enemies, left the vehicle alone and moved to the militia hideout and returned into the area to start grinding.
Now the frontline moved away from that area entrance and I could only get recognition for blowing up the tank thing, no matter what else.

Never had that problem before, but the fix in that case was to use the tranquillizer gun on the enemies. With that I would get complimented for each single enemy and seemingly even from two Militia guys at once (though I counted per enemy to be on the save side).

Also, in that scenario the militia guys were killed very fast over and over again. While I was almost never hit (at least after taking out the truck?). I used that to grind for the Blue Bird emblem even w/o re-entering the area.
Just leave all the enemies alone and check the dead militia for rations while immediately giving the rations to the new arriving militia guys.

Oh and I think it's better to hold off all the stuff that can be checked via ingame stats until you are in Act 2 so that you check those stats of that save game at any time (via briefing option).

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
So, has anyone here actually platinum'd yet?

What about the general non-gaf populous? how are they faring against this behemoth?

Doing the chicken run with your guide (thanks for that).

I wanted to add, that I had problems getting the Militia to cheer for me (Hawk emblem) in the area where you get the MkII. I killed some enemies, left the vehicle alone and moved to the militia hideout and returned into the area to start grinding.
Now the frontline moved away from that area entrance and I could only get recognition for blowing up the tank thing, no matter what else.

Never had that problem before, but the fix in that case was to use the tranquillizer gun on the enemies. With that I would get complimented for each single enemy and seemingly even from two Militia guys at once (though I counted per enemy to be on the save side).

Also, in that scenario the militia guys were killed very fast over and over again. While I was almost never hit (at least after taking out the truck?). I used that to grind for the Blue Bird emblem even w/o re-entering the area.
Just leave all the enemies alone and check the dead militia for rations while immediately giving the rations to the new arriving militia guys.

Oh and I think it's better to hold off all the stuff that can be checked via ingame stats until you are in Act 2 so that you check those stats of that save game at any time (via briefing option).

Yep. Those two were added with the videos (regarding the tranquiliser and Blue Bird on the eight: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40773431&postcount=755) but I'll try to make that clearer (and credit you in addition). For Blue Bird, it also helps if you have only 1 segment of your life left. This means that when you approach a Militia Member that they give you a ration, saying something like "It's just a scratch!" or "You can make it!".

I don't really agree with the end bit though. Even though you can't check the stats in Act 1 and thus, have to count roughly yourself, if you can grind roughly that amount in Act 1 it means that going into Act 2 you'll have a much easier time reaching the requirement at which point you can check the stats. For example, if in Act 1 you think you grind 150 headshots but it turns out you only have 90 in the briefing at the end, you'll only need to get 60 in Act 2. On the otherhand, if you completely ignore grinding in Act 1 (with the exception of the Militia-related emblems), you have much less time to achieve the requirements (even though you almost certainly will reach them in the Power Station to Vista Mansion) and thus you need to spend a very long time in Act 2 doing everything. By breaking it up over Act 1 and Act 2 you don't need to spend as long in a single area and thus it reduces the tedium slightly. Of course, it is up to the person themself. That is just my preference and others may wish to do it as you do in Act 2. As long as you end up with same result, that is all that really matters.

And glad the guide is helping

EDIT: Oh and to anybody else using the guide, I strongly suggest you use the YoutubeMeAgain script (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/60843) to view the YouTube videos on NeoGAF without going to a new tab. This makes it much easier to view them and I won't enable advertising on the videos or disable embedding so it should work fine.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Aaaaaaand I'm installing this game :3 I need a break from 8 hours/sc2 each day.

It's been so long... my top 3 game of all time... let's go!

So, what the heck is up with the 'sideways roll'? Nothing is counting. I did a sideroll from standing, crouching, and prone and none of them are counting. I'm not sure what I need to be doing.

So, what the heck is up with the 'sideways roll'? Nothing is counting. I did a sideroll from standing, crouching, and prone and none of them are counting. I'm not sure what I need to be doing.

First, are you doing this exactly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGHQXW7iXVw&feature=plcp?

Secondly, are you exitting the area, re-entering the area, saving AND ONLY THEN going to check in the briefing?

If the answers to both of those are 100% yes:
Third, Synless had the same problem earlier and wasn't quite sure why it was not counting, if it was due to not saving right or due to not having a weapon out. Do you have a weapon out?

So if you die, do stats still carry over such as hold ups, headshots, kills, etc? Or is it only the 'continue' stat?

(I suspect this has been asked before, but bear with me)

So if you die, do stats still carry over such as hold ups, headshots, kills, etc? Or is it only the 'continue' stat?

(I suspect this has been asked before, but bear with me)

I think it all carries over.

Yesterday, I only had 10 rations but needed to eat 15 for the Pig emblem, so I jumped off a high ledge to injure myself and ate one, 5 times; then C4'd myself, continued, and repeated twice more.

When I checked stats I had eaten 15 rations.

I think it all carries over.

Yesterday, I only had 10 rations but needed to eat 15 for the Pig emblem, so I jumped off a high ledge to injure myself and ate one, 5 times; then C4'd myself, continued, and repeated twice more.

When I checked stats I had eaten 15 rations.

Great! Appreciate the answer. I died a few times inadvertently and would have lost a good chunk of stats, so this should make things easier.

I missed the an ipod song as well as some of the medals for holding up and sharing because of the save thing so I think i'm going to start act one again.

DigiMish

I totally forgot - is there a faster way to search dudes who are knocked out besides picking them up and dropping them on the ground again and again?

I seem to recall a move where I can pick them up and continuously shake them for all their shit... but I might be wrong.

I totally forgot - is there a faster way to search dudes who are knocked out besides picking them up and dropping them on the ground again and again?

I seem to recall a move where I can pick them up and continuously shake them for all their shit... but I might be wrong.

You can wake them up and them put a gun in their face to hold them up and search that way.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, this game is just as good as I remember it.

RobertM

It's a miserable experience trying to get those emblems, just ruined my experience to the point that I don't want to play the game, like I'm looking at the ugly side of the game. Run and gun is horrible way to play it. Probably going to do big boss run after the chicken run. Definitely hindered my love for the game.

BadWolf

It's a miserable experience trying to get those emblems, just ruined my experience to the point that I don't want to play the game, like I'm looking at the ugly side of the game. Run and gun is horrible way to play it. Probably going to do big boss run after the chicken run. Definitely hindered my love for the game.

..and this is why I never bother with trophies etc.

HOLY WOW!!!!!

I remember the game being good and HQ...... but not THAT GOOD!!!!!!

I mean, I'm enjoying EVERY MINUTE in it, Like... for real this game is all about quality :O

DAMN, seriously there are nothing like MGS games out there <3

Yeah, when I found out you needed all the emblems, I wrote off the idea of platinuming it. It sounds like a horrid chore.

I thought it was quite fun getting everything the first time (whether or not I'll get all 40 again I don't know though) as it requires you to change up your playstyle significantly but I definitely agree that repeatedly playing the game greatly reduced my opinion of it. Act 3, 4 and 5 all of which were enjoyable the first few playthroughs became absolute chores afterwards while flaws in the plot or pacing became more apparent. Snake Eater, considering all it's benefits to use, is a good reward (although I know some people may have preferred something more substantial) but by then the majority of the game feels like a chore and Act 1 and 2 just don't have enough content to justify much more playthroughs. Ways to mess around aren't as numerous as 2 or 3 (due to the lack of dog tags, kerotans, CODEX moments, interrogations and injury animations among others) so it becomes much harder to justify playing through it.

However, four years later and I'm enjoying it again so who knows, maybe it'll sustain the enjoyment over as many playthroughs as the previous games.

EDIT: At the end of Act 5 now in the Scarab tunnel and oh god, that Meryl and Johnny scene is so bad, why did they have to put flashbacks in that scene?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
My PS3 is shutting down on its own :( Looks like I have to replace the power supply. No platinum for me anytime soon I guess.

paskowitz

The first act of this game is God tier. It goes down from there. The second is ok, but not great. The third is bawls. The fourth is great for nostalgia but not really that great overall. The fifth act is also just ok.

That being said, MGS4 is not the train wreck so many people make it out to be. The game had to tie up so many plot holes and it is nothing short of a miracle it came out reasonably coherent.

Wish I could play but I'm currently idling to get the 35 hours, then I should be all set on my Chicken emblem+ run. I missed a few like, get praise, handout rations, but I can do those the second time through.

Ein Bear

Just started going for the Chicken run, following the guide, and have a quick question - I'm holding a guy up, frisking him for items, then leaving and re-entering the area. The guy is still knocked out when I come back though, if I wake him up and hold him up again, does it still count towards my total?

Edit: Actually, do I even have to leave and re-enter at all? If I just hold the guy up, frisk him, knock him out, then wake him up and do it all over again, will that work?

Just started going for the Chicken run, following the guide, and have a quick question - I'm holding a guy up, frisking him for items, then leaving and re-entering the area. The guy is still knocked out when I come back though, if I wake him up and hold him up again, does it still count towards my total?

Edit: Actually, do I even have to leave and re-enter at all? If I just hold the guy up, frisk him, knock him out, then wake him up and do it all over again, will that work?

This:
Yes, it was in Act 5 on my BBE file. For Bear, I just grabbed and released the enemy 100 times. For Gibbon, I counted a hold up as any time that Snake said "Freeze!". I was actually holding up two enemies at once, so I only did this 25 times. For Bee and Ant, I just did their respective actions 50 times in a row.
Would indicate that you can indeed just do what you've suggested in the edit.

With regard to before your edit, I would advise waking him up before leaving but now it seems not to matter and I doubt him being knocked out when you enter would make a difference anyway.

Ein Bear

This:

Would indicate that you can indeed just do what you've suggested in the edit.

With regard to before your edit, I would advise waking him up before leaving but now it seems not to matter and I doubt him being knocked out when you enter would make a difference anyway.

Awesome, thanks! I'll give it a go for this run then, and see if it works. If not... well, I've got to do a thousand more playthroughs for the platinum anyway, so it's not the end of the world :p

Farming DP from the mini gekko on Shadow Moses is so easy, and you have to do SOMETHING to get that play time up to 35 hours... I see no reason to ever go for the 100,000 DP over the iPod songs in Otacon's office

edit: in about an hour I've farmed ~200k DP

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
As far i can remember in MGS 1 there is no Naomi in game she is only in Codec. She was blond then. (guessing from brighter green hair)

Nope her hair was brunette as you could her polygonal model in Photo Session mode on MGS VR Missions.

Top Bottom