• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 meets Sin City : WTF !!

Namomura

up639978ox.jpg
:lol :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Heh, they made an article about this? I think this is about Kojima's love of the movie Sin City, and how much he adores Jessica Alba like he wrote in his blog. But I can't read that.

lamotia

so what's that article about. does anyone has a bigger shot so that someone can translate this? it will be great if Frank Miller (I'm assuming that's the guy in those shots) has something to do with MGS4.

Andy787

Banned
There are few combinations in this world that please my pelvic region like the pairing of Metal Gear Solid and Sin City.

Zensetsu

Andy787 said:
There are few combinations in this world that please my pelvic region like the pairing of Metal Gear Solid and Sin City.
You said it! Its a match made in heaven. Or at least some sort of fanboy heaven, if not the regular kind.

Lakitu

st5fu
That would be a really cool collaboration, I've also heard that Hideo Kojima and Stan Lee will be collaborating too. :)

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I really hope that MGS4 isnt going to be a mix of MGS and Sin City, but a combination of Kojima and Framk millers idea's is a dream :)

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
well, I haven't played any MG games in awhile so I'll see what I remember

Running Man had Jim Brown with a jetpack and a flamethrower
Predator had the predator and Kojima has plenty of invisibility stuff and I believe in one of the old MG games there was an invisible boss called Predator, but I could be remembering slightly off, both movies have left their mark in various games

Ceb

Bosses called Running Man and Predator isn't "ripping off" though. Neither is "Iroqouis Plissken", Snake's tanker intro in MGS2 or any other of the similar stuff.

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
Ceb said:
Bosses called Running Man and Predator isn't "ripping off" though. Neither is "Iroqouis Plissken", Snake's tanker intro in MGS2 or any other of the similar stuff.

argue semantics if you want but I'm not going anywhere near that, I didn't mean it as a negative anyways

Calm down Kojima Lover's Pizzas!

It's an homage.

Seeing as how Kojima is the Michael Bay of video gaming it makes perfect sense.

Resume your regularly scheduled J-crotch mining now. :p

Incidentally, aside from visual stylings - this is a dumb idea. Unless Marv gets to beat Snake's face in. Then I fully endorse this!

Haven't watched Predator?!

Get off my planet man. :p

Kojima has used many references to Hollywood movies like those mentioned above.

I remember a reference to

terminator movies:(when snake lands on the Tanker and the stealth kit breaks).
Matrix: (Bullet time effects when Olga first Fires on Snake on the tanker.)

Big Boss used to look like Sean Connery.

And the first NES Metal Gear Box art has Micheal Biehn on the cover as Solid Snake(a Picture from the first terminator movie was used and reproduced).

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
The Bookerman said:
Kojima has used many references to Hollywood movies like those mentioned above.

I remember a reference to

terminator movies:(when snake lands on the Tanker and the stealth kit breaks).
Matrix: (Bullet time effects when Olga first Fires on Snake on the tanker.)

Big Boss used to look like Sean Connery.

And the first NES Metal Gear Box art has Micheal Biehn on the cover as Solid Snake(a Picture from the first terminator movie was used and reproduced).

I forgot the Terminator stuff, and yea, Kojima loves Ahnold movies, who doesn't?

Ceb

Ash Housewares said:
argue semantics if you want but I'm not going anywhere near that, I didn't mean it as a negative anyways

I'm not arguing semantics. But you made a pretty bold claim in your first post of the thread, and yes, saying that he's been "ripping off movies since day 1" sounded like you meant it as a negative thing. There's a pretty big difference between a rip-off and an homage.

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
Ceb said:
I'm not arguing semantics. But you made a pretty bold claim in your first post of the thread, and yes, saying that he's been "ripping off movies since day 1" sounded like you meant it as a negative thing. There's a pretty big difference between a rip-off and an homage.

no there isn't, just lie to yourself, whatever, I honestly don't care about your delusions

belgurdo

Banned
Ash Housewares said:
no there isn't, just lie to yourself, whatever, I honestly don't care about your delusions

Why are you getting a bug up your ass over this? What you said was pretty loaded, dude

bud

Ash Housewares said:

Ok, but ripping off is something completely different though.

There's a difference between a hommage and ripping off.

Seriously we need more information on this...Frank Miller and Hideo Kojima are two of my favorite creative minds in all of the entertainment world. What magazine is this article from and what does it say?

Daigoro

the Running Man was not a good movie. by any stretch of the imagination.

and is there any documentation that Kojima used Predator and Running Man as ideas for MGS?

Arnold movies hardly invented jet packs, flamethrowers, or invisibility.

Ash Housewares said:

and yes there is a difference.

BigBoss

Daigoro said:
the Running Man was not a good movie. by any stretch of the imagination.

and is there any documentation that Kojima used Predator and Running Man as ideas for MGS?

Arnold movies hardly invented jet packs, flamethrowers, or invisibility.

In the original MSX Metal gear games there were characters called "Arnolds" and "Running Man". Kojima always talks about getting inspiration from many movies and they're quite apparent in his games. MGS3 was pretty much an homage to James Bond, especially the theme song.

Sapiens

Kojima steals ideas blatantly. So what? He's still awesome.

Just consider this quote from Picasso:

"bad artists copy, good artists steal"

It's obvious. So what! Stop defending Kojima's honour!

sly

Banned
What what? Who cares about what ideas and concepts Kojima stole? Someone should find the mag and translate the fucking article!!!! :lol Is that Famistu?

Xenon

There's a difference between a hommage and ripping off.

yes...

Japanese Games/Anime are paying hommage to what they borrow from the west

Western Games/movies are ripping off what the steal from the east ;)

Sapiens

God, I love ed-209. Some of the best stop/go-motion + rear projection work Ive ever seen.

Sorry, had to get that out.

Jerkface

Banned
Sapienshomo said:
God, I love ed-209. Some of the best stop/go-motion + rear projection work Ive ever seen.

Sorry, had to get that out.

For 1987 it was stunning, as was the Robocop suit itself! :D

gblues

Banned
I was watching Secondhand Lions the other day and noticed that Old Snake looks almost exactly like Robert Duvall IMDB link. Especially with the beanie he wears for most of the movie!

Nathan

Zer0

Banned
BigBoss said:
In the original MSX Metal gear games there were characters called "Arnolds" and "Running Man". Kojima always talks about getting inspiration from many movies and they're quite apparent in his games. MGS3 was pretty much an homage to James Bond, especially the theme song.

also took a bit from rambo,in some of the ancient mgs the coronel was coronel truman from rambo
,japanese artist like to make homages to hollywood things,look at fist of the north star.its mad max

Top Bottom